Text Size

College Sports Arena

BCS Title Game: Bama/Texas

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

BCS Title Game: Bama/Texas

Unread postby fundamentals » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:50 am

Alabama vs. Texas

Might be my stupidity, but how in the world is Texas going to win this game? Anyone else, besides me think the Tide rolls in this contest? Here is my worthless prediction:

Alabama 31
Texas 13

Lead Pipe, what sayeth the shepherd on this one?
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Re: BCS Title game predictions

Unread postby jb » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:02 am

I mneither love nor hate either of these programs, so I don't care. In the end, I believe athletes and old scholl will trump scheme and pass-happy gimmics.

'bama - 31
Texas - 24

But let's talk 2011 via hijack

:hide:

tOSU wins the title vs I don't care who.

Am I nutty honk?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby fundamentals » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:13 am

JB wrote:I mneither love nor hate either of these programs, so I don't care. In the end, I believe athletes and old scholl will trump scheme and pass-happy gimmics.

'bama - 31
Texas - 24

Am I nutty honk?

Off Topic:
JB, I am on record saying tOSU will be in one of, if not the top-rated team in the country going into next season. The pieces are in place: many returning starters and a Heisman candidate. Just my two cents.

Going back to topic, how does Texas stop Alabama?
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:18 am

JB wrote: old scholl will trump scheme and pass-happy gimmics.

'bama - 31
Texas - 24

As it is said, let it be written. No substitute for a punch in the mouth. Texas' best shot is if 'bama turns the ball over.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby pup » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:43 am

I know he got through the SEC Title game, but young QB makes me nervous in this spot.

Can Texas load the box and slow down Heisman?

Can the quick passing game, without the wasted time of fakes and the like limit Bama's pass rush?

Can my boy Rolando handle standing in the middle of his defense and being in the right spot 40 times causing issues with that short passing game?

All in all, I think this turns out to be pretty good ball game. UT to break SEC run of fortune.

Texas 23
Bama 17
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby furls » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:50 am

I think we will see that UT's defense is much better than advertised. They made Nebraska look absolutely foolish for that entire game. Additionally, I think the quick passing game in the spread and a 4 year starter are enough to move the ball some. I like Texas +4 and the under.

Wildcard in this one is Julio Jones. I am not sure there is a corner in the NCAA that can match up with him.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby jb » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:50 am

fundamentals wrote:
JB wrote:I mneither love nor hate either of these programs, so I don't care. In the end, I believe athletes and old scholl will trump scheme and pass-happy gimmics.

'bama - 31
Texas - 24

Am I nutty honk?

Off Topic:
JB, I am on record saying tOSU will be in one of, if not the top-rated team in the country going into next season. The pieces are in place: many returning starters and a Heisman candidate. Just my two cents.

Going back to topic, how does Texas stop Alabama?

They have to show physicality. They have to line up and smack them in the noses time and again at the POA. Bama is a tough & efficient O with great athletes, but they aren't fancy.
jb

Unread postby jb » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:53 am

Furls wrote:I think we will see that UT's defense is much better than advertised. They made Nebraska look absolutely foolish for that entire game. Additionally, I think the quick passing game in the spread and a 4 year starter are enough to move the ball some. I like Texas +4 and the under.

Wildcard in this one is Julio Jones. I am not sure there is a corner in the NCAA that can match up with him.

Furls, Arizona's pathetic effort notwithstanding, Nebraska's offense was aweful.

They do a perfectly good job making themselves llok foolish.

Texas not only has to stop 'bama. They have to stand up to them.

And yeah, if they sell out to stop the run with 8 in the box, McElroy and Jones and the TE will make 'em say "uhhhhh".
jb

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:56 am

fundamentals wrote:Alabama vs. Texas

Might be my stupidity, but how in the world is Texas going to win this game? Anyone else, besides me think the Tide rolls in this contest? Here is my worthless prediction:

Alabama 31
Texas 13

Lead Pipe, what sayeth the shepherd on this one?

I think the line on this game is solid.

What makes it UnLeaded is the frosh QB. You never really know. If the SEC title game is any indication, and considering where he played High School ball, there's a good chance tonight isn't going to be too big for him. If he plays well, they win easily. If he manages the game well, it's probably enough to win (but maybe not cover)

The big key for Texas ILO is not negating the Tide rush, or how well McCoy handles things, ILO it's going to be TOP. Can the Texas D get Bama off the field, and get Colt the ball. If Bama has methodical drives, they'll pull away large in the 2nd half.

Not betting the game, gun to my head, I'd take Bama. Texas just doesn't see enough good defenses throughout the year.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby pup » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:57 am

JB wrote:
Furls wrote:I think we will see that UT's defense is much better than advertised. They made Nebraska look absolutely foolish for that entire game. Additionally, I think the quick passing game in the spread and a 4 year starter are enough to move the ball some. I like Texas +4 and the under.

Furls, Arizona's pathetic effort notwithstanding, Nebraska's offense was aweful.

And yeah, if they sell out to stop the run with 8 in the box, McElroy and Jones and the TE will make 'em say "uhhhhh".

The Invisible Julio Jones? The guy with 40 catches and 4 TDs? He hasn't made anybody say "uhhhh" all year has he?

Maybe tonight is the coming out party, but I would be more worried about Pryor throwing to Posey than that duo.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby jb » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:02 am

Pup wrote:
JB wrote:

The Invisible Julio Jones? The guy with 40 catches and 4 TDs? He hasn't made anybody say "uhhhh" all year has he?

Maybe tonight is the coming out party, but I would be more worried about Pryor throwing to Posey than that duo.

Dare you to leave Julio in single. Put him on Florida or Texas and he's a 1,000 yard a year WR.

'bama just plays FB like God intended. Deflates his stats.
Make 'rm say "uuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!"
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:37 am

23-13 Alabama.

Texas is a fraud and McCoy is exposed tonight again.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby waborat » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:46 am

No doubt that the Tide has looked dominant at points this season, but their offense has also looked middle of the pack at times...Texas' O looked pretty dominant all year until the B12CG and they still won...2 unbeatens from very good conferences asks the question, is one team clearly better than the other tonight? As far as laying chalk with Bama and a lesser offensive team, I hafta say nada...

The last time the BCSCG was in Cali, the Horns had their magical night vs USC...It's the final game for Mr McCoy and the kid has not lost a bowl game yet in his career...The Red Tide is just 3-5 in bowls for the decade...

Bama plays the much better balanced game & Saban won't be outcoached, but I'll take the dual wildcards of McCoy and the #1 run defense...If TOP equals or favors TEX then that means the defense did their job and they ride the McCoy Machine to a victory...Given that Texas has had 5 weeks to hear how they're not the better team and they'll show up tonight and prove they are:

TEX 20
BAMA 14
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:16 am

'Bama- 27
Texas- 17
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby swerb » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:26 am

With the Lead Man on this one. I don't have his restraint, I gotta bet on the NC game. But it will be small. And on Bama.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby pup » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:57 am

Swerb wrote:With the Lead Man on this one. I don't have his restraint, I gotta bet on the NC game. But it will be small. And on Bama.

Lead Man leaning slightly on Bama.
Pup leaning strongly on UT.

Those in the know, know what this means.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:22 pm

If there is one thing that is being proven in this bowl season it is that teams that can consistently and effectively run the football are dominating the clock, thus winning the game in going away fashion most times.

No way Texas stops Bama's running attack all night. Plus if Colt stays in the pocket he is done.

Bama 27
Longhorns 19

As for 2010/11 JB, let's just stick with the Big Ten for now. Buckeyes should be the heavy favorites IMO, however lot of talking heads already mentioning Iowa as the pre season Big Ten pick, :wha?: I know they bring back a lot but so do we, and we pretty much stuck it to them until JT reared his ugly head late 2nd half that game. I just don't see how anybody right now could consider Iowa a favorite over OSU for 2010.

ETA: Texas has played exactly 3 defenses in the last 4 years.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:18 pm

I started a month ago thinking bama.....but I can't ignore my gut on this one.

SEC loses its first NC Game, Heisman winner goes down as the Texas D surprises everyone and Colt leads a late drive FTW.

UT: 24
Bama: 17
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby DrPoove » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:18 pm

Alabama 20
Texas 17
"What is understood need not be discussed."
-Loren Adams
DrPoove
Special Guest Referee

Favorite Player: Cleveland
Least Favorite Player: The Inbred

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:25 pm

FUDU wrote:JT reared his ugly head late 2nd half that game. I just don't see how anybody right now could consider Iowa a favorite over OSU for 2010.

Can we quit with this fucking BS FUDU?

Right, every time the mistakes are made (like giving up a ST TD) it's "JT rearing his ugly head"......

And the fantastic Rose bowl game plan was.......? Who?

Enough with that fucking shallow bullshit.

RE: Big Ten.....its not Iowa playing challenger next season. They lose 4/5 Olineman. Dealbreaker for those guys.

Wisconsin is the threat and people who predict them to come out and win it would not be talking out of their asses.

I think Pryor is the difference and we repeat, but it would not shock me to see Whisky have a monster season and beat us.
JCoz

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:28 pm

JCoz wrote:
FUDU wrote:JT reared his ugly head late 2nd half that game. I just don't see how anybody right now could consider Iowa a favorite over OSU for 2010.

Right, every time the mistakes are made (like giving up a ST TD) it's "JT rearing his ugly head"......

RE: Big Ten.....its not Iowa playing challenger next season. They lose 4/5 Olineman. Dealbreaker for those guys.

Wisconsin is the threat and people who predict them to come out and win it would not be talking out of their asses.

I think Pryor is the difference and we repeat, but it would not shock me to see Whisky have a monster season and beat us.
Stop being such a homerish spasm, every time somebody says one little thing against OSU or JT. JT did plenty to screw the end of that game up, plenty.

We had that game well in hand until he went ultra JT.

Truth.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby fundamentals » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:33 pm

Off Topic:
tOSU has 2 "tough" games next season, both on the road, one at Wisconsin and the other at Iowa. Why does tOSU seem to play every year in Madison? Am I mistaken to ask that question, just seems like each time they go at it, it's there. They win those and it's 12-0 going into bowl game.

Pup, why you on Texas so much in this one? Think Bama is overrated offensively or defensively?

fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:47 pm

Bama beats 'em up

Too much time off for the Texas O

By the time they get in sync, Bama's D will be in control...[one shiny nickel]

Lou Saban vs Mack Brown???

:lmfao:

34-24
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:11 pm

FUDU wrote:
JCoz wrote:

Stop being such a homerish spasm, every time somebody says one little thing against OSU or JT. JT did plenty to screw the end of that game up, plenty.

We had that game well in hand until he went ultra JT.

Truth.

It's those little needling snide remarks that piss me off....he went ultra CONSERVATIVE FUDU.....learn the fucking difference.

What you are doing is assigning the description "JT" to being ultra conservative or to a player fuckup, thereby robbing the dude of any credit when he is NOT conservative....get it?

It's shallow and incorrect.

Truth.
JCoz

Unread postby pup » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:39 pm

fundamentals wrote:Off Topic:
tOSU has 2 "tough" games next season, both on the road, one at Wisconsin and the other at Iowa. Why does tOSU seem to play every year in Madison? Am I mistaken to ask that question, just seems like each time they go at it, it's there. They win those and it's 12-0 going into bowl game.

Pup, why you on Texas so much in this one? Think Bama is overrated offensively or defensively?

Think you can stack the box early in the game and take away Ingram, forcing McElroy to beat them. Think Saban will be too proud of his style and running game to back away from it.

I think this type of passing attack from Texas will be a little different than what Bama is used to seeing in the SEC and will give them problems.

I think Shipley has a return score or sets up great field position at some point.

Doesn't mean Bama is over rated at anything. I think they win this game probably 8/10. Just not tonight.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:09 pm

Pup wrote:

Think you can stack the box early in the game and take away Ingram, forcing McElroy to beat them. Think Saban will be too proud of his style and running game to back away from it.

I think this type of passing attack from Texas will be a little different than what Bama is used to seeing in the SEC and will give them problems.

I think Shipley has a return score or sets up great field position at some point.

Doesn't mean Bama is over rated at anything. I think they win this game probably 8/10. Just not tonight.

A return score by Shipley would help. For example, I don't think Texas wins this game if Colt is their leading rusher, as has been the case at times this season. If Colt is their leading rusher, Shipley HAS to return one to the house if they are going to win, ILO.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby jb » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:16 pm

FUDU wrote:Stop being such a homerish spasm, every time somebody says one little thing against OSU or JT.

jb

Unread postby jb » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:17 pm

Yeah. Is this a LeadPup Lock (TM) ?
jb

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:41 pm

JB wrote:
FUDU wrote:Stop being such a homerish spasm, every time somebody says one little thing against OSU or JT.

I can't see what that is JB, what is that a link to?

I don't spaz every time, but that shit builds up...needle needle......poke poke....jab jab....

Points valid either way, to sit there and needle a week after the Rose is bogus.
JCoz

Re: BCS Title Game: Bama/Texas

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:43 pm

boy, that was dumb.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby swerb » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:49 pm

Wild start. Texas D throws 2-3 haymakers forces a 3 and out. Saban goes for a fake punt on 3rd and long in his own territory ... picked off. Texas moves the ball right down field. McCoy injured.

Time to form the human circle around him and get out the hypos.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:53 pm

This backup QB for Texas is TERRIFIED.

Would love to know what they're about to inject into McCoy.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:03 pm

Swerb wrote:Would love to know what they're about to inject into McCoy.

Saban better start rippin' cats' heads off, they are playing like hot garbage.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby swerb » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:04 pm

Bama just looks like shit so far. Colt McCoy's mom on the other hand ...

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:05 pm

Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:06 pm

hahahahhaha!!
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:07 pm

Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby swerb » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:11 pm

Bama loading the box, gonna blitz the shit outta this kid. Hes gotta fidn a way to keep Bama honest or its gonna be a long night for the Horns.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:18 pm

Ingram's finding his stride, if Texas keeps sending LB's, he's gonna bust them for a long one.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby StewieG » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:32 pm

Texas has to get the backup QB some quick 3-step drops just to get a play where he can get a pass of w/o someone breathing down his neck.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby g00p » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:38 pm

I was hoping for a good game, but this is going to get out of hand if Colt is done.
g00p

Unread postby DP. » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:44 pm

Swerb wrote:Bama loading the box, gonna blitz the shit outta this kid. Hes gotta fidn a way to keep Bama honest or its gonna be a long night for the Horns.

For sure. He's nervous, and I don't blame him, he's getting killed.

Whatever they're injecting into McCoy, they better hurry up.
DP.

Favorite Player: Shin Soo Choo
Least Favorite Player: Gary Sheffield

Unread postby swerb » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:04 pm

Wow.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby DP. » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:06 pm

Wow. That was just flat-out dumb. :bunny:
DP.

Favorite Player: Shin Soo Choo
Least Favorite Player: Gary Sheffield

Unread postby StewieG » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:08 pm

Game, set, match.

Funny thing is Bama really hasn't played all that well, and the game easily could be 14-13. But them's the breaks. No way Texas comes back w/o McCoy.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:08 pm

Go Mack go...you dumb ass
:cheers:
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby daddywags » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:09 pm

I have nothing against Mack Brown, but that was as dumb a play call at the end of a half as I've ever seen.
daddywags

Unread postby sk82day » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:11 pm

Is it me or was that like the wekest hit ever to result in an injury??
sk82day

Unread postby g00p » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:15 pm

Ted Ginn all over again.... :hide:
g00p

Unread postby jb » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:22 pm

Pup, for those in the know. what does this halftime score mean?

( I'm rotten.)
jb

Next

Return to College Sports Arena