Text Size

College Sports Arena

Rose Bowl Query

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Rose Bowl Query

Unread postby mistero » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:45 pm

No a college football fan. Trying to understand from a Buckeye fan's point of view. What does it matter if OSU wins or loses the Rose Bowl? It's not a championship of any kind. They won't be crowned 6th best college team or 9th best if they lose. What do the bowls matter? Will you really be excited if OSU wins?

With all due respect, what's the point?
In Chud We Trust
mistero

Favorite Player: Miller High Life
Least Favorite Player: Natural Light

Re: Rose Bowl Query

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:07 pm

Up until this bullshit BCS National Title game, the Rose Bowl was the highlight bowl game. Obviously a national champion was crowned through one of the main bowl games (Rose, Sugar, Fiesta) but the Rose Bowl is the one with all the build up. The Parade of Roses, the fact that it's on New Year's Day. It's just a matter of tradition.

As for what it means in terms of rankings and whatnot, 1. Ohio State has fallen under a lot of criticism over the past three years because they have not beaten a highlight opponent outside the Big Ten. The fact is, their public perception has taken a huge hit nationally, and that matters because of how the voting goes for rankings.

2. It's huge for next year. If Ohio State beats Oregon in the Rose Bowl, it's possible that they're a preseason #4 or #5 next year. With all their crucial games at home, outside of Iowa, they could run the table and be in the driver's seat for the BCS title game. The other probable top 5 teams are losing some very key players.

3. It's just a matter of pride for fans, players, and the school as a whole. After being embarrassed twice in the BCS Title Game, the program has this aura of being incredibly overrated. They played Texas tough last year and should have beaten them, but the fact is, they lost. That's all the media and voters care about.

Personally, I'll be very excited if they beat Oregon. It would be a huge step forward for the public perception of OSU. I know there are the detractors who are saying "It's just Oregon" in a what is a semi-weak Pac-10 this year. But, the fact remains, Ohio State would have beaten a more athletic team than them with more team speed. That's whole knock on OSU. That they can only win the slower, more defensive-oriented Big Ten. It's big for the seniors too. It's their first Rose Bowl and they can leave OSU knowing that they didn't go 0-4 in Bowl Games. That means a ton.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby fundamentals » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:22 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:Up until this bullshit BCS National Title game, the Rose Bowl was the highlight bowl game. Obviously a national champion was crowned through one of the main bowl games (Rose, Sugar, Fiesta) but the Rose Bowl is the one with all the build up. The Parade of Roses, the fact that it's on New Year's Day. It's just a matter of tradition.

As for what it means in terms of rankings and whatnot, 1. Ohio State has fallen under a lot of criticism over the past three years because they have not beaten a highlight opponent outside the Big Ten. The fact is, their public perception has taken a huge hit nationally, and that matters because of how the voting goes for rankings.

2. It's huge for next year. If Ohio State beats Oregon in the Rose Bowl, it's possible that they're a preseason #4 or #5 next year. With all their crucial games at home, outside of Iowa, they could run the table and be in the driver's seat for the BCS title game. The other probable top 5 teams are losing some very key players.

3. It's just a matter of pride for fans, players, and the school as a whole. After being embarrassed twice in the BCS Title Game, the program has this aura of being incredibly overrated. They played Texas tough last year and should have beaten them, but the fact is, they lost. That's all the media and voters care about.

Personally, I'll be very excited if they beat Oregon. It would be a huge step forward for the public perception of OSU. I know there are the detractors who are saying "It's just Oregon" in a what is a semi-weak Pac-10 this year. But, the fact remains, Ohio State would have beaten a more athletic team than them with more team speed. That's whole knock on OSU. That they can only win the slower, more defensive-oriented Big Ten. It's big for the seniors too. It's their first Rose Bowl and they can leave OSU knowing that they didn't go 0-4 in Bowl Games. That means a ton.

I think with a win, tOSU stands a real good shot at being a pre-season #1 with some news agencies. Their schedule next year is tremendously easy (8 home games) and a win here would bode well for that.
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:59 pm

fundamentals wrote:I think with a win, tOSU stands a real good shot at being a pre-season #1 with some news agencies. Their schedule next year is tremendously easy (8 home games) and a win here would bode well for that.

No chance they're #1. Alabama will roll Texas over and be a unanimous #1 everywhere. I would probably expect Cincinnati to be #2 if they beat Florida. Collaros played pretty well without Pike. Right or not, beating Florida with Tebow means they deserve to be there. TCU should beat Boise, not sure if the voters keep them ahead of Ohio St.

Ohio State goes no higher than 3, IMO. If Florida wins, even without Tebow next year, the voters still suck them off and keep them at 2. Keep in mind USC only dropped from 3 to 4 with Sanchez gone.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby fundamentals » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:13 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:
fundamentals wrote:I think with a win, tOSU stands a real good shot at being a pre-season #1 with some news agencies. Their schedule next year is tremendously easy (8 home games) and a win here would bode well for that.

No chance they're #1. Alabama will roll Texas over and be a unanimous #1 everywhere. I would probably expect Cincinnati to be #2 if they beat Florida. Collaros played pretty well without Pike. Right or not, beating Florida with Tebow means they deserve to be there. TCU should beat Boise, not sure if the voters keep them ahead of Ohio St.

Ohio State goes no higher than 3, IMO. If Florida wins, even without Tebow next year, the voters still suck them off and keep them at 2. Keep in mind USC only dropped from 3 to 4 with Sanchez gone.

Tripods, I meant for NEXT year. ;-) ;) :wink: IF tOSU wins over Oregon, they get into the top five for end of this season. :clap:
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:31 pm

fundamentals wrote:Tripods, I meant for NEXT year. ;-) ;) :wink: IF tOSU wins over Oregon, they get into the top five for end of this season. :clap:

I know what you meant. And I'm telling you exactly what I think about what you meant. OSU will not be the preseason #1. Probably not even preseason #2.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby fundamentals » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:38 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:
fundamentals wrote:Tripods, I meant for NEXT year. ;-) ;) :wink: IF tOSU wins over Oregon, they get into the top five for end of this season. :clap:

I know what you meant. And I'm telling you exactly what I think about what you meant. OSU will not be the preseason #1. Probably not even preseason #2.

I see what you mean as well, just don't agree with it. That's why I think a win tomorrow means a great deal going into next year, not just with "fans", but media outlets as well.

fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:35 pm

I agree with Tripods on this one. If Alabama wins I see them being s unanimous #1 next year. I think tOSU will be up there but I don't see any scenario where they are #1. (I also doubt that Cinci will get enough respect to be #2 no matter what happens.)

Personally, I really don't want to be #1 preseason. A slow steady climb to the top position is OK with me if we can keep rolling off the victories.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:22 pm

Random rant, But if the BCS is so intent on keeping the "Tradition" of College Bowl games alive, why did it disrupt the way things used to be in having the Major Bowl games (like the Sugar, Fiesta, Cotton, Rose and Orange) on New Years day?

I'm pumped for this game, always great to see the Buckeyes back in the Rose Bowl.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby mattvan1 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:29 am

mistero wrote:No a college football fan. Trying to understand from a Buckeye fan's point of view. What does it matter if OSU wins or loses the Rose Bowl? It's not a championship of any kind. They won't be crowned 6th best college team or 9th best if they lose. What do the bowls matter? Will you really be excited if OSU wins?

With all due respect, what's the point?

I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby furls » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:54 am

Sorry, I have seen Cincy's D play. They are nowhere near at top 5 next year, and they will be lucky to not embarass the Buckeye state today. My prediction: Florida 48 Cincy 17.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby jb » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:45 pm

Furls wrote:Sorry, I have seen Cincy's D play. They are nowhere near at top 5 next year, and they will be lucky to not embarass the Buckeye state today. My prediction: Florida 48 Cincy 17.

Furls, you're ignoring your own great advice from earlier (or was it Pipes? ) .

In meaningless games, the team that cares the most wins. I think Herby made a GREAT point about this game earlier. UC is jilted and pissed, UF is thinking about everything EXCEPT this game and has mostly underachieved thios season, even in huge SEC games.

Going contrarian and saying tyhis is close, and a shoot-out.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby furls » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:47 pm

Sorry JB, didn't read this until today for some reason. I am not trying to throw this back in your face.

I was confident in two things re: this game.

1.) Even a disinterested Fl team would win by 2-3 TDs because UC has one play maker on offense and 0 defense.
2.) FL actually had something to play for, and as much as I am nauseated by Tebow, he is a good leader on that team and I was pretty confident that he and Meyer would have them ready. Urban has been pretty damn impressive in bowl games.

Damn near nailed the score.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby fundamentals » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:00 pm

Motherscratcher wrote:I agree with Tripods on this one. If Alabama wins I see them being s unanimous #1 next year. I think tOSU will be up there but I don't see any scenario where they are #1. (I also doubt that Cinci will get enough respect to be #2 no matter what happens.)

Personally, I really don't want to be #1 preseason. A slow steady climb to the top position is OK with me if we can keep rolling off the victories.

Not to continue :dead: but can't see how tOSU can't be in top two or three going into next season. More than favorable schedule with a Heisman candidate (media will be pimping Pryor big time next year) means lots of exposure.

And, as far as sneaking up on anyone or climbing slow and steady, ain't happening. tOSU will be a favorite to win it all and frankly, that's the way I would want it to be. Seems like we all like the "underdog" story but there's a reason why teams are favorites, it's because most of the time they take care of business like one and I see tOSU being out there in front of most teams next year and rightly so. People should already be amped up for next season about right now.

fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Unread postby jb » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:05 pm

Furls wrote:Sorry JB, didn't read this until today for some reason. I am not trying to throw this back in your face.

I was confident in two things re: this game.

1.) Even a disinterested Fl team would win by 2-3 TDs because UC has one play maker on offense and 0 defense.
2.) FL actually had something to play for, and as much as I am nauseated by Tebow, he is a good leader on that team and I was pretty confident that he and Meyer would have them ready. Urban has been pretty damn impressive in bowl games.

Damn near nailed the score.

I, um, wasn't precisely correct.

:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:27 pm

A Rose Bowl win the next biggest thing after a National Championship.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:29 pm

If you have to ask... you'll never know.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Return to College Sports Arena