Text Size

College Sports Arena

T minus ONE YEAR and counting for RROD.....

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

T minus ONE YEAR and counting for RROD.....

Unread postby pod2dawg » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:41 am

Ladies & Gentlemen,

It is now time for my yearly scUM insider update , rather than the off color posts most of you ignore. I do realize there are several threads predicting RRod's demise, my apologies.

Well, he has one year left. Tom Brady & Charles Woodson say so.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... -football/
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Re: T minus ONE YEAR and counting for RROD.....

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:41 pm

pod2dawg wrote:Ladies & Gentlemen,

It is now time for my yearly scUM insider update , rather than the off color posts most of you ignore. I do realize there are several threads predicting RRod's demise, my apologies.

Well, he has one year left. Tom Brady & Charles Woodson say so.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... -football/

One year left to do what exactly?

Have a winning record?

Win a bowl?

Beat OSU?

Win the B10?

I wonder what the line is....

I tend to think a winning record is needed (and attainable), possibly a bowl win.

I think 8 wins is the baseline this season, with a competitive bowl game. It only requires a min. of a 4-4 B10 record.

7 wins with a win over OSU might get him a last second save, especially if Tater-tot has an impressive year.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:52 pm

JCoz wrote:
I think 8 wins is the baseline this season, with a competitive bowl game. It only requires a min. of a 4-4 B10 record.

7 wins with a win over OSU might get him a last second save, especially if Tater-tot has an impressive year.

I don't disagree that it might take eight wins to save his job, but getting there is sure not a no-brainer. I just don't see that much talent on the roster right now...I mean, outside of Forcier (OK, including Forcier) what freshmen or sophomores on the 09 team really stood out to you as future studs?

The two best defensive player on the team (Donovan Warren and Brandon Graham) are both gone. The idea that this team will be improved a lot in 2010 is hard for me to buy into. (I know nobody in this thread has tried to make that case...but I guess I'm just making the opposite one)

After the OSU game, how can UM fans feels great about going into '10 with Tate as their man at QB? I know Devin Gardner plans to play..and I hear he's a stud (OSU recruited him hard and really wanted him) But even if he's the starter, they have a second year in a row with a freshman starter at QB taking the obligatory lumps. None of their receivers are scary in the least...the strength of the offense would be a couple of above average running backs behind a so-so line. The defense should remain awful.

They didn't have the 5-6 weeks of bowl practice to bring their young players along for 2010...I just don't see them being much, if any better in '10 than they were in '09. As Dennis Hopper said in Waterworld..."A single tear rolls down my cheek"

I think the realization is hitting them now that after the group of Henne, Hart, Long, Manningham et al left, the cupboard was really a lot more bare than anyone knew at the time. Carr's recruiting at the end was not too good for a couple years, and they are really paying the price now.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:07 pm

wiz1001 wrote:
JCoz wrote:

I don't disagree that it might take eight wins to save his job, but getting there is sure not a no-brainer. I just don't see that much talent on the roster right now...I mean, outside of Forcier (OK, including Forcier) what freshmen or sophomores on the 09 team really stood out to you as future studs?

The two best defensive player on the team (Donovan Warren and Brandon Graham) are both gone. The idea that this team will be improved a lot in 2010 is hard for me to buy into. (I know nobody in this thread has tried to make that case...but I guess I'm just making the opposite one)

After the OSU game, how can UM fans feels great about going into '10 with Tate as their man at QB? I know Devin Gardner plans to play..and I hear he's a stud (OSU recruited him hard and really wanted him) But even if he's the starter, they have a second year in a row with a freshman starter at QB taking the obligatory lumps. None of their receivers are scary in the least...the strength of the offense would be a couple of above average running backs behind a so-so line. The defense should remain awful.

They didn't have the 5-6 weeks of bowl practice to bring their young players along for 2010...I just don't see them being much, if any better in '10 than they were in '09. As Dennis Hopper said in Waterworld..."A single tear rolls down my cheek"

I think the realization is hitting them now that after the group of Henne, Hart, Long, Manningham et al left, the cupboard was really a lot more bare than anyone knew at the time. Carr's recruiting at the end was not too good for a couple years, and they are really paying the price now.

Wiz I have all kinds of respect for you, but as far as I know, we did NOT recruit Gardner. We expressed interest but did NOT extend an offer, particularly while we were waiting for Montana to decide. HE had interest in OSU, until we told him that we were waiting on Montana's decision.

Can you confirm that Ohio State ever offered him?
JCoz

Unread postby fundamentals » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:23 pm

I think Rich Rodriguez is doing a tremendous job as the head coach of the Michigan Wolverines. He should be given a lifetime contract for his efforts. :pop:
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby furls » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:00 am

DickRod did not help his cause by running off what remaining talent he had.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby swerb » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:10 am

wiz1001 wrote:
JCoz wrote:

This
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Anglefan » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:13 pm

Furls wrote:DickRod did not help his cause by running off what remaining talent he had.

EXACTLY! Lloyd's recruiting was no different than it had ever been the last few years. They were finishing neck and neck with OSU every year. Dick Rod is the one who is not bringing in the talent. He's taken Michigan from average classes of 3.7 stars to 3.2. A full half star lower average in talent. 3.2 is still higher than any Big Ten team other than OSU and Penn State, but it's not enough to be a top ten team.
Anglefan

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:09 am

JCoz wrote: Can you confirm that Ohio State ever offered him?

I'll check it out, Coz. I thought we offered him late, after the Montana train left the station and before we offered Graham. Not sure on that. But even if we didn't offer, it's true to say we recruited him hard and liked him a lot.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby pod2dawg » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:22 am

Gentlemen, my vote after seeing him against Big Red would have been to offer him. He was a man amongst boys. Dude is a beast and frankly gives me indigestion picturing him in chicken-shit yellow & blue. He has a GUN. RROD's ideal prototype. He would have been awesome following up Pryor.

I swear I am not related to him

It's all water under the bridge now. He's never seen a Cameron Heyward in his grill yet.

It will be entertaining to watch the angst up North in determining RROD's future.
pod2dawg

Unread postby furls » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:38 pm

I don't remember seeing much effort ingoing after Gardner, the Bucks have had their eyes fixed squarely on Braxton Miller since they signed TP (actually a little before). Gardner is the QB DickRod needs, just like Kevin Newsome was before he decommitted when DickRod continued to recruit Russel Shepard and Tate Forcier after he verballed. I don't think DickRod will get the chance to really use Gardner before he gets shitcanned. Next year will be his last year in scUM, .500 for that team will be a stretch and he will not sniff an OSU or PSU win. Hell with Kelly in ND even that game has to be considered more difficult.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:37 pm

Bring him back home. The Wolverines need a Michigan man.

"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby jb » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:48 pm

pod2dawg wrote:Gentlemen, my vote after seeing him against Big Red would have been to offer him. He was a man amongst boys. Dude is a beast and frankly gives me indigestion picturing him in chicken-shit yellow & blue. He has a GUN. RROD's ideal prototype. He would have been awesome following up Pryor.

It's all water under the bridge now. He's never seen a Cameron Heyward in his grill yet.

It will be entertaining to watch the angst up North in determining RROD's future.

Relax.

He's got great talent to be sure. But Mooney destroyed Big Red, and Ignatius contained Grdner except for a few big plays, and Ignatius was just very good rather than great.

When he really plays aginst Men, we'll see what's what.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:06 pm

Furls wrote:I don't remember seeing much effort ingoing after Gardner, the Bucks have had their eyes fixed squarely on Braxton Miller since they signed TP (actually a little before).

This is what I remember, although, to be fair, I never know exactly how hard JT recruits anyone......

In an interview last year, UGA WR AJ Green was asked what school he would have gone to if not UGA? To which he said the buckeyes....which was odd since he was never really on the board as a possibility.....
JCoz

Unread postby pod2dawg » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:02 pm

JB wrote:
pod2dawg wrote:Gentlemen, my vote after seeing him against Big Red would have been to offer him. He was a man amongst boys. Dude is a beast and frankly gives me indigestion picturing him in chicken-shit yellow & blue. He has a GUN. RROD's ideal prototype. He would have been awesome following up Pryor.

Relax.

He's got great talent to be sure. But Mooney destroyed Big Red, and Ignatius contained Grdner except for a few big plays, and Ignatius was just very good rather than great.

Correcto Swami, Mooney destroyed everyone late as they peaked at the right time. Didn't see St. Iggy.

As I said Gardner has a GUN and was not surrounded by a bunch of future pro-bowlers believe me, I saw at least 6 drops that night against Big Red. The man has never faced the "freaks" the Big 11 will be throwing at him , I do know this; he will get the ball there..in a hurry.

He becomes public enemy #1 soon.
pod2dawg

Unread postby jb » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:02 am

pod2dawg wrote:
JB wrote:

Relax.

Correcto Swami, Mooney destroyed everyone late as they peaked at the right time. Didn't see St. Iggy.

As I said Gardner has a GUN and was not surrounded by a bunch of future pro-bowlers believe me, I saw at least 6 drops that night against Big Red. The man has never faced the "freaks" the Big 11 will be throwing at him , I do know this; he will get the ball there..in a hurry.

He becomes public enemy #1 soon.

A stud to be sure, but almost everyone on that level is a stud (except Dane ). Welcome to the Big Time , Devon.

And yep, he's Pablo Escobar in cleats AFAIC.
jb

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:23 pm

JB wrote: almost everyone on that level is a stud (except Dane )

Nine catches in a Rose Bowl victory isn't enough to get you off the kid's back, JB?

Are you still trying (in your inimitable contrarian way) to make the case that Ohio State would be a better team if they had a taller?, faster?, heavier? player at his starting receiver position? (don't the coaches even know they have like six guys on the depth chart who could roll out of bed on a Saturday morning and be better than this stiff?)

...and believe me, I am able to appreciate the humor, LOL, J/K angle to the "Lil Dane" tag here in this forum....

...and now that Ross Homan has been named Hon. Mention AP All-American in his junior year, I'll even concede that Dane may be little more than JAG.

...and despite what it may seem like at times, I don't take the shots at Lil Dane personally....why would I?

...it can't be the hands....IIRC, he didn't have a single "drop" all season. (I'll gladly retract if someone can document one for me)

...I know...you do it just to baffle the numerous Buckeye honks around here who just watch the kid play hard, run great patterns, block like a madman downfield, and catch everything thrown his way..

...and it works. I suppose if it's enough to generate a post like this in response to it, it's all worthwhile.

I get that.

Don't stop. Lil Dane will be around for another year...

danwismar

Unread postby jb » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:09 pm

wiz1001 wrote:
JB wrote: almost everyone on that level is a stud (except Dane )

Nine catches in a Rose Bowl victory isn't enough to get you off the kid's back, JB?

Are you still trying (in your inimitable contrarian way) to make the case that Ohio State would be a better team if they had a taller?, faster?, heavier? player at his starting receiver position? (don't the coaches even know they have like six guys on the depth chart who could roll out of bed on a Saturday morning and be better than this stiff?)

...and believe me, I am able to appreciate the humor, LOL, J/K angle to the "Lil Dane" tag here in this forum....

...and now that Ross Homan has been named Hon. Mention AP All-American in his junior year, I'll even concede that Dane may be little more than JAG.

...and despite what it may seem like at times, I don't take the shots at Lil Dane personally....why would I?

...it can't be the hands....IIRC, he didn't have a single "drop" all season. (I'll gladly retract if someone can document one for me)

...I know...you do it just to baffle the numerous Buckeye honks around here who just watch the kid play hard, run great patterns, block like a madman downfield, and catch everything thrown his way..

...and it works. I suppose if it's enough to generate a post like this in response to it, it's all worthwhile.

I get that.

Don't stop. Lil Dane will be around for another year...

Dan, Dan, Dan Dan, Dan....

Did I really need to add this? -> ;-)

Clearly, the little too small, too slow anti-stud has proven he can rock faces many games ago. I believe I have backpeddled faster than Deion Sanders publically for that bad take.

I hollared "Uncle" many games ago. Intent-wise, I was taking a self-depricating shot at myself for dissing him and then having to eat crow. I thought that was an acknowledged point long ago?

Go Big Dane! Congrads to Homan and the rest that out ran the Ducks.

Peace.

We good?
jb

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:17 am

Of course we're good, JB. (I'd have used a wink too, if I wasn't opposed to the use of emoticons on principle)

Sometimes I feel like you're baiting me with that stuff, and that you'd be disappointed if someone didn't rattle your cage a little bit....and if not me...who?...if not now, when?

...it's also why I reminded you that I am not oblivious to the joking nature of the reference...I do get it.

...besides, haven't you also found it's easier to take a shot at a guy who's backpedaling?

...I think it's really a deep-seated guilt for my having left the Danester completely out of my game story after he had nine grabs...

in other words, JB...it's not you, it's me.

danwismar

Unread postby pup » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:46 am

Get a room.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Return to College Sports Arena