Text Size

College Sports Arena

Urban Meyer OUT as HC of Florida

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Urban Meyer OUT as HC of Florida

Unread postby swerb » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:55 pm

Just reported by the guys calling the Pitt/UNC bowl game. No details on where hes going or what caused it.

Wow.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Urban Meyer OUT as HC of Florida

Unread postby aoxo1 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:56 pm

Swerb wrote:Just reported by the guys calling the Pitt/UNC bowl game. No details on where hes going or what caused it.

Wow.

Health reasons: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4772952

Hope everything turns out OK for Urban. Couldn't have asked for a better coach, either on the field or off (there have been some problems with guys, but nothing like what went on under Zook).

As for the program, tough timing. Lost Mullen last year to Miss St and Charlie Strong this year to Louisville. Curious to see who steps in.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby aoxo1 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:10 pm

Other possibilities:

Getting out before a program scandal emerges or to prevent something personal from becoming a big scandal.

Next coach of the Cleveland Browns.
aoxo1

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:17 pm

aoxo1 wrote:Other possibilities:

Getting out before a program scandal emerges or to prevent something personal from becoming a big scandal.

Butch Davis, pt. 2?

He doesn't seem like he'd fit the type of guy that Holmgren wants. /cough gruden /cough

I'm thinking it's Cancer, and I pray to god it's not, That disease is pure evil. :(

No other explaination as to why you'd quit the best job in CFB at the moment.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby aoxo1 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:28 pm

Yeah, I don't really think that SSS.

But it would be irresponsible not to baselessly speculate.
aoxo1

Unread postby noles1 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:30 pm

aoxo1 wrote:Other possibilities:

Sadly, this at least comes to mind almost regardless of what is said now. Throw in the fact, Urban does not want to speak regarding this at least makes one wonder.

Frankly, for Urban I hope it is a scandal rather than a serious health issue. Regardless, well wishes for him and his family as it stands from the information we have now.

Really shocked by this and not sure what to make of it at this point.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:33 pm

aoxo1 wrote:Yeah, I don't really think that SSS.

But it would be irresponsible not to baselessly speculate.

Well, didn't they mention something to the effect that in the previous SI he had a cyst that had effected him in the past?

I hope to not come off as baselessly speculate, but it just boggles the mind that someone would leave the gig at this time, It would be like Tressel leaving the Buckeyes, Carroll Leaving USC, or Mack Brown leaving Texas. Something is up
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:37 pm

He even thought it funny, at first, when late in that 1998 win over Michigan he saw Meyer reeling: eyes saucered, face gone pale, knocked nearly unconscious by a blast of pain. "My head!" Meyer roared. He was holding the earflaps of his headset, sinking to a knee as if his usual storm—all that furious ambition and energy—had backfired at the source. "Agggghhh!" Meyer bellowed again. "My head!"

It felt, Meyer would later say, like his skull was being split by an ax. He moved to the bench, caught his breath, got back up. He'd had headaches before but nothing like this. Any movement might bring back the pain; he felt it hovering. He was scared. As the clock spun down, every play, every twist, felt like a threat.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/ ... /index.htm

Triple-S

Unread postby papacass » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:00 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4772952

Stress-related heart problems. He's only 45.

Being a coach of any college football program is high stress. Being the head coach of one of the BCS heavyweights has to be exponentially more stressful. The endless recruiting trips, stumping for money, practices, games, film sessions, war-rooming with assistants, more recruiting and stumping. All while being watched by untold members of the media, boosters, the AD and fans. It's an all-consuming job under a high-powered microscope.

I covered the beginning of Meyer's head coaching career when I was writing for the student newspaper at Bowling Green. He really is an amazing coach and incredibly perceptive. The fact that he rolled Ohio State in '06 never made me lose respect for him or think of him as "the enemy." This is a shock. I really hope he gets his health back and can return to coaching in some capacity in the future. He's too good of a coach to never do it again.
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby fundamentals » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:07 pm

Don't know the guy personally but Urban Meyer is originally from my neck of the woods. Not so long ago, he brought down to Gainesville a local coach from Ashtabula who had been battling cancer.

Meyer took time out of a very busy schedule to accomodate this dying man, and it spoke volumes, at least to me, about what kind of guy he is/was and, not to mention, Tebow also spent time with this coach.

In the local newspaper, they did an article and Meyer mentioned his health, will try to see if I dig it up but I can't see this being for anything but what was cited in the other articles currently circulating about personal health concerns.
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby jack_tors » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:00 am

Never really been a Meyer fan as I hate most things Florida and all things SEC. That being said, he is a great coach and you hate to see a person as young as he is having to deal with this kind of situation. I hope he recovers quickly and leads a full, healthy life.

Its going to be interesting to see how Florida handles this shocking news. Might slow down that football program for a while.
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby davemanddd » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:20 am

he's a quitter. he's a tony pena. he should never be allowed to be a head coach ever again, right??? can't wait to hear all the "yeah buts" on this one.
dave . . .
davemanddd

Favorite Player: joe thomas
Least Favorite Player: lebron james

Unread postby Triple-S » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:11 am

davemanddd wrote:he's a quitter. he's a tony pena. he should never be allowed to be a head coach ever again, right??? can't wait to hear all the "yeah buts" on this one.

bad take.

I hate the guy as a coach, (seems like an good guy outside of that though) as much as the next anti-SEC honk, but some things are beyound ones control.

If the choice is either to coach college football or be around for your family, I gurantee every single last person would chose the latter.

Triple-S

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:41 am

davemanddd wrote:he's a quitter. he's a tony pena. he should never be allowed to be a head coach ever again, right??? can't wait to hear all the "yeah buts" on this one.

"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby Cleveland Transplant » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:05 am

aoxo1 wrote:
Swerb wrote: Couldn't have asked for a better coach, either on the field or off (there have been some problems with guys, but nothing like what went on under Zook).

I attended BGSU when Meyer was coaching. I had a friend who was an offensive lineman and from what I understand, Meyer was a complete ass to the players and completely unlikeable, especially at the very end when he decided to screw over the school. Maybe things changed with Utah and Florida, I don't know. But I do know he was someone that wasn't really all that well-liked in BG.
Cleveland Transplant

Unread postby papacass » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:26 am

Cleveland Transplant wrote:I attended BGSU when Meyer was coaching. I had a friend who was an offensive lineman and from what I understand, Meyer was a complete ass to the players and completely unlikeable, especially at the very end when he decided to screw over the school. Maybe things changed with Utah and Florida, I don't know. But I do know he was someone that wasn't really all that well-liked in BG.

Meyer did do a 180 when he said he had "unfinished business" at BG, and two weeks later he was hired as the head coach at Utah. That didn't go over too well. He parted BG on bad terms.

But not all that well-liked? Can't vouch for what went on behind closed doors, but a guy who took Gary Blackney's 2-9 team in 2000 and turned it into an 8-3 team in '01? He's was popular in BG. He turned the program around using mostly Blackney's players.
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:26 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if this was as much about something else as much as it is about his "health".

Hope he is OK but this smells a bit fishy.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:57 pm

I think this is a really bad take, but the hell if I know if I'm deciphering it right.

Christ.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby aoxo1 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:14 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4774134
Florida coach Urban Meyer, who announced Saturday night that he would step down after coaching the Gators against Cincinnati in the Allstate Sugar Bowl on New Year's Day, is now having second thoughts about retirement, a source close to the situation told ESPN.com on Sunday.

Meyer, who led the Gators to BCS national championships in 2006 and 20008, is scheduled to address media members in New Orleans at 4:30 p.m. Sunday.
aoxo1

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:56 pm

Lead Pipe wrote:

I think this is a really bad take, but the hell if I know if I'm deciphering it right.

Christ.
I sense complete sarcasm in that post by dave, but who knows.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby fundamentals » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:58 pm

FUDU wrote:
Lead Pipe wrote:

Christ.
\

I think davemanddd was actually proposing a trade that would send Urban Meyer in exchange for Tony Pena. :hide:
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Unread postby noles1 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:07 pm

Meyer now just taking a leave of absence.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4774134

This is getting stranger and stranger now. The timing has to be brought into question and why this even came out in the first place. If you aren't sure, you shouldn't do anything or make any announcement.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby Cleveland Transplant » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:13 pm

Papa Cass wrote:
Cleveland Transplant wrote:I attended BGSU when Meyer was coaching. I had a friend who was an offensive lineman and from what I understand, Meyer was a complete ass to the players and completely unlikeable, especially at the very end when he decided to screw over the school. Maybe things changed with Utah and Florida, I don't know. But I do know he was someone that wasn't really all that well-liked in BG.

Meyer did do a 180 when he said he had "unfinished business" at BG, and two weeks later he was hired as the head coach at Utah. That didn't go over too well. He parted BG on bad terms.

But not all that well-liked? Can't vouch for what went on behind closed doors, but a guy who took Gary Blackney's 2-9 team in 2000 and turned it into an 8-3 team in '01? He's was popular in BG. He turned the program around using mostly Blackney's players.

As a student at the time, yeah. He was definitely loved by me and the rest of the campus but apparently not by the actual team. He was never personable or approachable, unlike the other BGSU coaches from what I understood.

I asked how he broke the news to the team that he was leaving. My friend told me that he had a prepared statement, read it, didn't look a single player in the eye as he read it, and as soon as he got done reading it, he split and never said goodbye to anybody.

He still leaves a bad taste in my mouth after what he did to us there.
Cleveland Transplant

Unread postby fundamentals » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:41 pm

Cleveland Transplant wrote:
As a student at the time, yeah. He was definitely loved by me and the rest of the campus but apparently not by the actual team. He was never personable or approachable, unlike the other BGSU coaches from what I understood.

I asked how he broke the news to the team that he was leaving. My friend told me that he had a prepared statement, read it, didn't look a single player in the eye as he read it, and as soon as he got done reading it, he split and never said goodbye to anybody.

He still leaves a bad taste in my mouth after what he did to us there.

The Million Dollar Man, Ted DiBiase, said "everyone's got a price". Meyer was no different in leaving BGSU and Utah.

fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:07 pm

There's an incredibly bad taste bet involving Urban and JoePa, but I'll just leave it at that.

I mean, if your problems are serious enough that your initial thought was to retire in your, what, mid-40s? And now you want to come back? Really?
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:26 pm

This doesn't make sense. Are you sick or not?
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby bks92II » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:26 pm

Well you should change "OUT" to "indefinitely OUT". But I just keep it the same he might change his mind again. He could be getting his advice from Farve.
Long live the King...In Cleveland
bks92II

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: NY,BOS,MICH,PITT

Unread postby davemanddd » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:13 am

FUDU wrote:
Lead Pipe wrote:

Christ.

nailed it, fudu.

i continually got raked over the coals on these boards for my shameless campaigning of pena to be the next tribe manager and everybody just kept labeling him a "quitter" as if that was the only criteria for determining his worthiness to be a manager ever again. nevermind the fact that he resigned first and foremost to take care of a personal family matter.

actually, kudos should go out to meyer for putting god and family first and not his f-ing job!!! while i still would take the sweater vest over him anyday , i still think meyer is the best coach in college football. i just don't think he would be a good fit in columbus.

that being said, now it's being reported that meyer isn't resigning but just taking a sort of "sabbathical" and will return to coach the team in 2010. how 'bout dem apples???
dave . . .
davemanddd

Favorite Player: joe thomas
Least Favorite Player: lebron james

Unread postby jfiling » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:51 am

A good take on this:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/w ... ?eref=sihp
But if he comes back to the Gators the same Urban Meyer who rampaged through college football first at Bowling Green, then at Utah and then at Florida, then he's risking that life. He knows this. He admitted as much Sunday. "I've had a 30-year coaching career in nine years," Meyer said. "You can't do that. I just have to be smart. I'm not very smart. That's part of the problem."

Offensive coordinator Steve Addazio will guide the program for a while, but Meyer said Sunday his gut feeling is that he will coach the Gators for the 2010 season.

Meyer said he has suffered chest pains for four years. For the past two years, he has suffered severe chest pains. Though Meyer refused to acknowledge whether he needs any medical procedure to fix his current ailment, any medical weakness combined with his damn-the-torpedos style is a deadly cocktail. Meyer works so hard he forgets to eat. He frets so much he practically melts away as seasons progress.

If all this is true, I can totally sympathize with Coach Meyer. Sometimes, no matter what the job, you get to a point where you have to dial everything back or it's going to bite you in the ass. It sounds like Meyer realizes he's reached that point, and needs to pull back before it even more seriously affects his health.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby pup » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:44 am

Sounds to me like this is a two part story.

Part 1 - His team was lethargic and having shitty bowl prep practices and he decided to play the "I am killing myself and this is how you are going to practice" card. Worked to perfection as they reportedly had their best practice Sunday AM.

Part 2 - Once playing this card, UF got about 20 phone calls from recruits uttering the dreaded decomit word. Now, coach can't flat out come and say it was a ploy, so we get the "not retire, step back" routine.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby aoxo1 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:05 pm

Pup wrote:Sounds to me like this is a two part story.

Part 1 - His team was lethargic and having shitty bowl prep practices and he decided to play the "I am killing myself and this is how you are going to practice" card. Worked to perfection as they reportedly had their best practice Sunday AM.

Part 2 - Once playing this card, UF got about 20 phone calls from recruits uttering the dreaded decomit word. Now, coach can't flat out come and say it was a ploy, so we get the "not retire, step back" routine.

I made a crack about how he should have done this before the Bama game. But I doubt it's true.
aoxo1

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:54 pm

Pup wrote:Sounds to me like this is a two part story.

I don't think you can involve your daughter and family en route of "playing a card" to get your team to play harder. That is brutaly classless, and changes the entire feel of this situation.

That seems like a conspiracy theory to me, just a bit (or quite a bit) too out there to be considered a serious possibility.

Now, my take is that he acted too quickly on this, and in particular did not think the recruiting aspect through......I think he wanted to step down, but from UF's position, effed up royally on the timing (waiting until after NLOI day would have been the prefered exit route) and he is now feeling the entire weight of the program to run damage control which is changing sympathy and empathy into conspiracy and doubt.

Regardless of what they call it now the damage is done.

Urban's recruiting credibility is taking on water like the titanic, and while I am not saying I can't be repaired, and certainly UF has its own recruiting pull outside of UM, but should he come back and coach in 2010 its going to be difficult to look a recruit and thier parents in the face and say I'll be here for your entire career, and other schools will be quick to point that out....not for one year, but for the foreseeable future. Frankly his recent past (quick in and outs with BG and Utah), which has not been a factor in Florida, now does him no favors when combined with this development.

So IF he played a card here, there can, at the very least, be no questioning the fact that he played his hand badly........probably the worst decision he's ever made as a coach.

But I don't think he did. I think he is a guy trying to make the best decision for himself and his family and unfortunatley there are too many people tied to his ship for this to be a simple left turn.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby pup » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:28 pm

Are his health issues real? I am sure they are.

Did his timing of letting this decision be known to the rest of the world have anything to do with getting his team ready to play? Every thing these guys do is planned, and it is all about winning the next game.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby jb » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:33 pm

Pup wrote:Are his health issues real? I am sure they are.

Did his timing of letting this decision be known to the rest of the world have anything to do with getting his team ready to play? Every thing these guys do is planned, and it is all about winning the next game.

HL Menkin and Lee Atwater say ur cynical.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:36 pm

Only its not about just winning the game in front of you Pup.

If what you are suggesting is true, he has done FAR, FAR more long term damage, than any short term benifits could bring from beating CINCINATTI, sans thier HC, in the non-national championship game, in a season where they did not win the SEC.

Simply put, the play you are talking about is penny smart and pound foolish.

And I just don't think Urban is a foolish man.
JCoz

Unread postby pup » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:40 pm

JCoz wrote:

If what you are suggesting is true, he has done FAR, FAR more long term damage, than any short term benifits could bring from beating CINCINATTI, sans thier HC, in the non-national championship game, in a season where they did not win the SEC.

You under estimate what can happen after a single loss to an inferior team to a man like Urban.

Back to back losses? He will have none of that.

He will talk them up for another game, in another way, in the future. And he is coaching this game, IIRC.

Winning this game is THE only thing that matters to him. Until the next game.

Love the "I am staying on board for these kids" line. Might not even need shoulder pads this week.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:48 pm

Pup wrote:
JCoz wrote:

You under estimate what can happen after a single loss to an inferior team to a man like Urban.

He will talk them up for another game, in another way, in the future. And he is coaching this game, IIRC.

Love the "I am staying on board for these kids" line. Might not even need shoulder pads this week.

Ok, pup, believe what you want. I'm sure Urban felt sending his wife and daughter on a emotional rollercoaster as well as sacrificing his long term credibility in recruiting was worth an emotional boost vs Cinci (sans Brain Kelly) in the Florida lose-lose (situation) bowl.
JCoz

Unread postby pup » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:16 pm

JCoz wrote:
Pup wrote:
JCoz wrote:

Ok, pup, believe what you want. I'm sure Urban felt sending his wife and daughter on a emotional rollercoaster as well as sacrificing his long term credibility in recruiting was worth an emotional boost vs Cinci (sans Brain Kelly) in the Florida lose-lose (situation) bowl.

What long term cred in recruiting? Sounds like someone who said Saban would never get more recruits after the way he did LSU. It is all in the moment. And gone soon thereafter.

I don't think Urban planned the whole thing to get out through the media the way it did, effecting his wife and daughter. I think he thought he had a better handle on the leakage and am pretty sure his wife is fully aware of whatever physical ailment he has. It isn't like she thought he was 100% healthy, only to find out he had stage 86 cancer through the media.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:09 pm

Pup wrote:What long term cred in recruiting? Sounds like someone who said Saban would never get more recruits after the way he did LSU. It is all in the moment. And gone soon thereafter.

The situations are not alike. I've made my points to this above. It WILL have short and long term effects on recruiting. in the short term, Florida chances with 3 high level recruits (Henderson, Hicks and Hankins) have, IMO, gone up in smoke. Poof. Whoosh. Gone. (would love to hear wiz or furls weigh in and agree or disagree with this) We'll see if he can convince the ones commited already into staying, no small task in and of itself. So we will see where this goes (short term) by the end of the year. This is of course assuming that this was a ploy to motivate his curent players and UM continues to coach the Gators barring any major developments regarding his health.

Pup wrote:"I don't think Urban planned the whole thing to get out through the media the way it did, effecting his wife and daughter.

Meyer told the New York Times on Saturday night that the night of the Gators' SEC championship loss to Alabama was a turning point. He said he awoke in the middle of the night with severe chest pains. He lost consciousness, was transported to the hospital in an ambulance and underwent more than nine hours of testing.

"There was no heart damage," Meyer told the Times. "But I didn't want there to be a bad day where there were three kids sitting around wondering what to do next. It was the pattern of what I was doing and how I was doing it. It was self-destructive."

According to the Times, Meyer told his family on Christmas night that he would be resigning. He said his 18-year-old daughter hugged him and said, "I get my daddy back."
"I saw it as a sign from God that this was the right thing to do," said Meyer, who is walking away from a $4 million-a-year contract.

The coaching staff did not know of Meyer's decision to step down until Saturday, when he also informed his players after an evening practice. One player reached Saturday said he was "completely shocked" but declined further comment.

Meyer's chest pains are not life-threatening, according to the staff source, but the coach became scared for his future. He will coach his last game with Florida on Friday against Cincinnati in the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans.

"I have ignored my health for years, but recent developments have forced me to re-evaluate my priorities of faith and family," Meyer said in a statement. "After consulting with my family ... and my doctors, I believe it is in my best interest to step aside and focus on my health and family."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-27-bowl-rup-dec27,0,1594682.story

Shelley Meyer, wife of Urban Meyer, said in a text message there’s “no chance” Meyer will change his mind about quitting his job as Gators coach.

“This is the best decision for him and us right now,” Shelley said.

The Meyers are not moving from Gainesville while Meyer is expected to stay on the Florida payroll in some capacity, possibly as a football advisor or a fundraiser. Meyer is also expected to have input in the new hire if he hasn’t already, the Sentinel has learned.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_uf/2009/12/urbans-family-no-chance-meyer-reconsiders-quitting.html

Pup wrote:I think he thought he had a better handle on the leakage

This does not sound like the story of a guy who made a motivational ploy (a desperate one at that) to his team and it leaked, Pup.

Not in the slightest.
JCoz

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:15 pm

Pup is right. End of thread.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:33 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Pup is right. End of thread.

That's what you brought to the game? You just reached into your pockets and came up with lint. Come back when you have something, anything, to put on the table.

Here is a little something to chew on in the mean time:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=dw-meyerback122709&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
JCoz

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:09 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Pup is right.

I don't think so.

As an adherent of Occam's Razor, I'm inclined to believe the simplest explanation: that Urban's resignation was heartfelt and that he had second thoughts.

Actually, I think the idea that Urban would fake-resign as a motivational tactic for a game is ludicrous.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:16 pm

HermanFontenot wrote:
Actually, I think the idea that Urban would fake-resign as a motivational tactic for a game is ludicrous.

I agree. I think he made an honest decision and may have announced it/saw it announced a little too quickly. I can see the reversal as a bit more of a ploy than the original resignation: he steps down with legit concerns, realizes that not only is that a lot of cake to leave on the table but also that it puts the program and the recruiting in serious peril, gets with the UF reps and tries to salve some wounds the resignation may have caused.

What you get is, "I'm still around and will(maybe) be back on the sidelines. Nothing is changing, still my system and still want each and every player who committed."
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:26 pm

I don't have to put anything on the table, it's already right there infront of you. This whole thing reeks of a put up job. In 24 hours he goes from leaving Florida because of serious health reasons, to facing the idea of someone else running his program while he sat quietly on the sidelines. He's either not that sick, or he's putting football infront of his long term health and his family.

I'm not buying what he's selling.

Maybe i'm too cynical.

"I saw it as a sign from God that this was the right thing to do," said Meyer"

And he's also ignoring signs from God...............
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:53 pm

How does he go from "My health is forcing me to quit, I have to put my family first", to " I can't leave it all, my family and health isn't that important." ?

Oh wait... It was that "spirited" practice.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:18 pm

I remain unconvinced why Urb had to motivate his troops when their opponent is down to having their plays called by the quality assurance coach. If you have to fake retirement just to get your guys motivated enough to beat Cincy... no, not in Gainesville. No f'n way.

He's going to keel over one of these games, clipboard in his cold dead hands. Just watch.
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:57 pm

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:I remain unconvinced why Urb had to motivate his troops when their opponent is down to having their plays called by the quality assurance coach. If you have to fake retirement just to get your guys motivated enough to beat Cincy... no, not in Gainesville. No f'n way.

He's going to keel over one of these games, clipboard in his cold dead hands. Just watch.

Cincy is pretty much ripe for an asskicking. Their HC abandoned them, they are a Big East team and frankly I see the Gators as being too good and too fast to let this be a game, and I don't see Tebow wanting to leave on a down note.

God I hate Florida though.

Isn't this the 2nd time a Florida Coach has pulled this type of crap?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2892797

Triple-S

Unread postby pup » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:32 am

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:I remain unconvinced why Urb had to motivate his troops when their opponent is down to having their plays called by the quality assurance coach. If you have to fake retirement just to get your guys motivated enough to beat Cincy... no, not in Gainesville. No f'n way.

Ya'll been watching Bowl Games?

Ask Stupid Stoops if he wished he had found a way to motivate his team before they took an ass whooping to a Bill Stewart led West Virginia team after RRod bolted.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:28 am

Pup wrote:

Ask Stupid Stoops if he wished he had found a way to motivate his team before they took an ass whooping to a Bill Stewart led West Virginia team after RRod bolted.

Stoops has lost 5 of his last 6 bowls against teams like USC to BSU to WVU. Sometimes they fight, sometimes they roll over. Should he (or every other coach for that matter) fake a resignation every year for a new reason?

Or maybe develop a huge playbook of ridiculous ways to motivate thier team while mind-fucking thier families and flushing credibilty down the drain.

You can only cry wolf so many times though, so you have to be creative.
JCoz

Unread postby pup » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:13 pm

JCoz wrote:
Pup wrote:

Stoops has lost 5 of his last 6 bowls against teams like USC to BSU to WVU. Sometimes they fight, sometimes they roll over. Should he (or every other coach for that matter) fake a resignation every year for a new reason?

Or maybe develop a huge playbook of ridiculous ways to motivate thier team while mind-fucking thier families and flushing credibilty down the drain.

You can only cry wolf so many times though, so you have to be creative.

Simply refuting the idea that Florida has no need to have their motivation ramped up. You know, since they are playing a Big East team who just lost their head coach.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Next

Return to College Sports Arena