Text Size

College Sports Arena

Urban Meyer OUT as HC of Florida

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: Urban Meyer OUT as HC of Florida

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:32 pm

Pup wrote:
Simply refuting the idea that Florida has no need to have their motivation ramped up. You know, since they are playing a Big East team who just lost their head coach.

It's not that ramping up the motivation isn't neccessary. In fact this is the poster child for lose lose bowl games. Meaningless game for the Gators, Mean-Everything type game for the Bearcats.

But as I keep saying, the play you are talking about as a possibility is like using a 50 ton nuke to blowup a 7-11. There may be a few bystanders hurt in the process, so a more efficient method seems preferable.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby pup » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:59 pm

JCoz wrote:
Pup wrote:
Simply refuting the idea that Florida has no need to have their motivation ramped up. You know, since they are playing a Big East team who just lost their head coach.

It's not that ramping up the motivation isn't neccessary. In fact this is the poster child for lose lose bowl games. Meaningless game for the Gators, Mean-Everything type game for the Bearcats.

But as I keep saying, the play you are talking about as a possibility is like using a 50 ton nuke to blowup a 7-11. There may be a few bystanders hurt in the process, so a more efficient method seems preferable.

What we don't know is maybe he tried a lot of other motivating tricks and what he found was he wasn't getting through. Which is what made him so mad he played the "I am killing myself for you guys and this is the effort I get back" card.

Going to end this one. We ain't changing each others opinion.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby fundamentals » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:13 pm

Here is the latest from this area on Meyer's plight:

http://www.starbeacon.com/localsports/l ... d=topstory

Homefront concerns
Urban Meyer's area connections express surprise and support for one of Ashtabula's brightest stars

BOB ETTINGER
Star Beacon

When the news broke that University of Florida coach Urban Meyer was resigning from his post because of stress-related issues with his health, shockwaves were felt all around the college football universe.

The 1982 St. John High School graduate has since pulled a reverse on that decision, but it didn’t erase the shock, concern and downright fear the decision aroused in Northeast Ohio.

“Yes, it did scare me,” Bill Schmidt, Meyer’s baseball coach at St. John, said. “Having had some health issues myself in the last few years, a few tears were shed when I heard, to tell you the truth. I think of him at the top of my list. For him to even contemplate doing something like this, it had to be a serious situation. I knew it wasn’t just a hang nail.”

“The first thing that went through my mind was that he was really, really sick,” Joe Pete, St. John graduate and host of The Sports Report on ESPN 970, WFUN, said. “Of course, the worst-case scenario comes to mind — disease, cancer or heart problems — or somebody in his family was sick.”

Breaking news

The news broke Saturday evening that Meyer was stepping down as coach of the Gators. ESPN made the announcement during a live college football broadcast and ESPN News followed the story for hours.

Even those closest to Meyer had no idea what was happening — his own dad, Bud, learned the news from the television. Needless to say, everyone was in a state of shock when they learned of the news.

“It’s funny because I was sitting here watching ESPN and I heard the announcer say, ‘Wow! This is one story you’re not going to believe. We’ll give it to you after the break.’

“I was kind of reading the paper and doing some other things and it piqued my interest. Then he said Urban Meyer resigned from the University of Florida. I said, ‘What?’

“I couldn’t believe it. I thought the worst. I thought something was very seriously medically wrong with him or his family. I hoped that wasn’t the case.”

“To say I was shocked is an understatement,” SS. John and Paul boys basketball coach Tom Penna said. “I was watching a football game and they came on to say there was breaking news. I saw (Florida) athletic director Jeremy Foley’s name and I said that has got to be about Urban. I said what the heck is going on.”

“It hit me hard,” George Dragon said. “We had gotten close. The first thing that came to mind was cancer. Then (the guys on ESPN) brought up the heart.”

Getting the scoop

Once the news Meyer was resigning hit the airwaves Saturday evening, telephones rang all through the area. People from all over the country were calling Meyer’s friends trying to glean any information they could.

“All of a sudden, during the next half hour, my phone, which hadn’t rung all day, went absolutely bonkers,” Pete said. “I was getting texts and phone calls and everyone wanted to know what was up with Urban.”

“Everyone thinks a few of us have the inside track on Urban,” Schmidt said. “I talk to him, but he keeps a lot of stuff inside. The way he approaches what he does, it’s not surprising it took a toll.”

“I was in my basement and I heard my phone going off and going off,” Rick Pugliese, Meyer’s friend since the third grade, said. “It was a guy I barely knew from Cleveland calling to ask where Urban was going. Penna called three times.”

“I got a thousand phone calls that night,” Penna said.

“I got a rash of text messages,” Dragon said. “I was getting texts from friends wanting to know what I knew. At that point, I didn’t know a lot about it.”

Warning signs

Despite being shocked, those close to him had an inkling something just wasn’t right with the popular coach.

“It shocked me, but it didn’t shock me,” Schmidt said. “I’ve been concerned about his health for quite a while. I made the comment that if he kept doing things the he’s doing them, he’s going to pop something.

“When I went down to visit him (the week before Thanksgiving) and I came home, I told my wife, Kathy, and I called Penna and said that something was not right. I couldn’t put my finger on it, but something just wasn’t right.”

“There was something really wrong,” Penna said. “He didn’t look healthy when we there in October. He looked like he’d lost a lot of weight. He didn’t look healthy. He looked like he wasn’t taking care of himself.

“I usually text and he texts right back,” Penna said. “When he didn’t say anything for the last three weeks, I knew there was something wrong. He wasn’t getting back to me and he wasn’t returning calls when I’d try to get a hold of him. I hope to talk with somebody down there soon.”

Though they may have had an inkling something wasn’t right, nobody close to him knew Meyer was having such serious problems with his health. It’s not like Meyer to open up and talk about what’s bothering him. Thus the resignation really drove home the serious nature of the situation.

“Myself and Tom text him once in a while,” He might not get back to us right away, but usually by the end of the day or the next day, we hear from him. The last three weeks, we’ve heard nothing from him. That’s when we started to think something might be wrong. When that came out, it knocked me for a loop.”

He never, ever said anything that he was sick or that his heart hurt,” Dragon said. “He was more emotional than we’ve ever seen him. He said he missed his daughter (Nicole, who is playing volleyball at Georgia Tech). He said he sat in her room and cried.

“He let stuff out he never said to us. We were like, ‘Wow! He’s never been like this with us before. Looking back, it all comes together a little bit.”

Cautionary tales

Meyer has seen his share of death and sickness.

His mom, Gisele, died of cacner. He befriended St. John alum and former football coach John Buskirk and his wife, Jessica, during John’s battle with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. He does most anything he can for terminally ill children. He is well aware of former Wake Forest basketball coach Skip Prosser’s untimely death.

“What’s not come up on ESPN is he devotes a lot of time to terminally ill kids,” Schmidt said. “He calls them, sends them things.

“I wear a wrist band from a little girl from Tampa who has a brain tumor. Last year, she (to Gainesville) and (Meyer’s secretary) Nancy said there’s a little girl and her father there from Tampa. They went out to practice and I talked to them for a while.

“When practice was over, I said to Tim Tebow — I call him Timmy — I said, ‘Timmy, go over and sign her football and get your picture taken. I said the same to Urban. He’s still one of my kids. He invited them in to eat with us. He took his jacket off and gave it to her. He had the players come over one or two at a time and sign the football. He takes care of her family when they come to Gainesville. He does that.

“I walked into his office and there’s a paper there written by a 17-year-old terminal cancer patient,” Schmidt continued. “Timmy walked into the office and (Urban) said we’ve got to call this kid. Timmy wore the kid’s favorite bible verse on his eye patches for the game that week.

“Urban called Mack Brown (the coach at Texas) up and said there’s an 11-year-old who’s terminally ill and he had to have him up for a game. It’s like my wife says, Urban is such a wonderful man.”

And his friends believe that each of those situations could have played a role in Meyer deciding it was in his and his family’s best interest to step away from the game he’s coached for the better part of 20 years.

“In his office, he has a lot of pictures,” Pugliese said. “There are some pictures on his desk. There’s one of John Buskirk’s grave and a card from his memorial. It’s right next to a picture of (President Barack) Obama. Losing his mom 10 years ago to cancer affected him. He was close to his mom.

“The year they played the Buckeyes, he had a kid die in a car accident. That starts to weigh on you. There are 85 kids on the team. It’s like he has 85 more children.”

“Cancer has always been a big issue for him,” Penna said. “Skip Prosser died.

His daughter is away at school (Georgia Tech). He said that really bothered him. He told us he goes into her room and just sits and cries. That’s why I think this is something he needs to address soon. Maybe it all caught up with him.”

“I think all of that enters his mind,” Dragon said. “His mom had health issues and his dad has health issues. He’s conscious about it. John Buskirk, in Urban’s mind, is not forgotten.”

Mutual love

Much has been made of the relationship Meyer has with the Heisman Trophy-winning Tebow. And, no doubt, the two are close. But that relationship is not unique between Meyer and his players. He makes a point of getting close to his guys.

“He loves the players,” Schmidt said. “At a team dinner, he gets his food and he eats. Then he walks around and talks to his players. He knows his players. He’s not a CEO in a tower watching it all happen. The kids really appreciate that. They know where he is. They believe in the program and they believe in him. That’s why he’s had the success he has.

“He’ll always be there for them He would be there for them anyway, even if he doesn’t return. He wasn’t going to pull up the tent right now.”

“At the press conference for Tebow’s last game, (Urban) broke down three times,” Pugliese said. “I’ve been friends with Urban since the third grade. I’ve never heard him mention crying, let alone see him break down in front of people.”

And those players make a point of getting close to their leader, even going so far as to attend Meyer’s younger daughter Gigi’s, volleyball games with him.

“He invited us out to go see his daughter’s volleyball game,” Pugliese said. “Tebow was there, too, to see a high school volleyball team. It really is a family. That’s not lip service. That’s how Urban grew up.”

It’s no surprise, then, that those players were hurting when Meyer told them he was stepping down.

“I think it’s very hard for (the players),” Dragon said. “Every bit of what he said at the news conference is true. They’re very close-knit. His door is never closed. Tebow is always in there. We went to his daughter’s volleyball match and David Miller, a wide receiver, Joe Hayden a defensive back and Tebow came, too. There were at least three players there to watch (Urban’s) daughter.

“They all sat with Urban. It was like he was their dad. He’s very close to all of them, even at practice. He goes around and hugs them and he tries to talk to most of the players.”

He’ll be back

With an indefinite leave of absence, Meyer could be away from the Gators for a week, a month, a year or longer. Those that know Meyer tend to think he’ll be back with the Gators sooner rather than later.

“I don’t think he’s going to stay away,” Schmidt said. “This is a good time (to get away from the team). The season’s over and he can recover. A little bit of down time will give him the opportunity to relax a little bit. I don’t see (Meyer staying away).

“He can’t get away from it. I can see him in a hospital bed looking at (football-related) stuff. Being away is going to be very hard on him to do. The question is, can he delegate some authority but still keep his fingerprint on everything.

“I kind of see him back before (the first game). The only thing preventing him from being back, of course, is a medical situation. Yes, I see him back there and. He has to take some time off right now, but I don’t see him taking that much time off. He is the coach of the Gators and that’s how I view it. He’ll be there. Hell or high water, he’ll be there.”

“I don’t think he can stay out,” Pugliese said. “He can’t come back and not be Urban Meyer. He can’t get out of coaching. He loves it. He loves the kids.

There is some thought that it could take a while for Meyer to return to the sideline.

“I think it’s going to take some time because he’s got to figure out a way to change some things in the way he does the job,” Pete said. “I think it’s going to be longer than people think. I don’t think it’s going to be just one or two months. He could miss the Spring game.

“I think it will be hard for him. He’s such a tireless worker. He needs to find a way to lessen his burden. It will take time.”

Nor was it a surprise the players were the reason he decided against resigning.

“When he changed his mind on Sunday, I wasn’t surprised,” Pete said. “That’s a tough decision when you do the things he’s done in his career. It’s a tough decision at 45 to give it up. A lot of things had to go through his mind.

“I think it bothered him that he went to practice in the morning and he saw the team was doing well. There was already talk of who was going to coach Florida and I think that bothered him. That’s his job. That’s his program he built into a top one, two or three team in the country.”

“I think they’ve been on a roller coaster emotionally,” Schmidt said. “Like a lot of people, when he told them, they were upset. They think so much of him. There were a lot of tears on both sides. He saw them out at practice Sunday and they put it behind them. They were all business. They were going to win a game (the Sugar Bowl against Cincinnati) and at practice, they were good.

“He saw that. And said he can’t leave his kids.”

“I don’t know that he’ll be away for the Spring game,” Penna said. “That’s in like April. I don’t think he’ll be there for that. But he’ll be on the sideline for that first game of the season. I don’t see him staying away that long.”

Wishing him well

Meyer’s friends back home have all sent messages to let him know he’s in their thoughts. It’s clear they’d like him to be back in action as soon as possible.

“On a personal level, I sent him a text message saying I hoped he’d be OK,” Pete said. “He’s always been good to me. He comes on the show a couple of times a year. He always accommodates me. I think he’s been pretty good to St. John.

“I’m pulling for him. I want him to well. He’s a hometown guy. I want him back, not just coaching, but I want him to have fun. I could tell this season he just wasn’t having the fun he usually has.”

“I left him a message,” Schmidt said. “I told him we’d talk after the game. I said I loved him, to take care of himself, hang in there and he’d be OK.”

Short-timer

No matter when Meyer returns to the Gators, he may be short-lived for the job. He’s made it clear to his buddies that he doesn’t want to coach forever. His plan is to get out of the game while he’s still relatively young.

“He did say he might not be there for the length of his contract,” Penna said. “He doesn’t want to be coaching in his 50s. He’s always said he wasn’t going coach a long time because of the stress of the job.”
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:23 pm

Pup wrote:Ask Stupid Stoops if he wished he had found a way to motivate his team before they took an ass whooping to a Bill Stewart led West Virginia team after RRod bolted.

a.) Comparing a French XII franchise like Oklahoma to Florida? Uh huh.
b.) Does WVU still win if Stewart bolts out the door after DickRod? Is there anybody actually left coaching at Cincy?
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby aoxo1 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:13 pm

Even Urban's wife and the 911 operators are in on it!
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:51 pm

I know this is Bayou's stuff but this is good

Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:33 pm

Could UM's wife had sounded any less concerned during that 911 call? I mean, you're husband is on the floor, barely conscious, perhaps :thud: , and she sound as if she's on the phone with Pizza Hut discussing toppings options.
"At least the Scots didn't have to tune in with the rest of the country and watch their women get plowed by Longshanks and his men."
~Commodore Perry on the difference between baseball's flawed economics : Indians :: prima nocta : Scots
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Favorite Player: Brother Red
Least Favorite Player: IHS

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:26 pm

And so it begins.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4785351&name=Southeast_Recruiting

And make no mistake this is NOT a 4* player, ESPN recruiting coverage is pretty subpar (good example was when they had Beanie as 16th best RB even after his AA MVP Game)

In reality this was a top 15 player in the country and without a doubt the best player that was committed to them.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby pup » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:46 am

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:57 pm

I knew he wouldn't stay away, this shit is like a drug to them.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:55 pm

shocked this was swept under the rug.

“Sharrif was really confused and put a call into Coach Meyer. When they spoke Coach Meyer told him that he had a ‘dream’ the night before, and that Coach Meyer saw himself on the sideline coaching Sharrif. Told him that is was a "message from God that I should come back and coach, as I guess if it’s my time to die, I’d rather die on the sidelines coaching you than anywhere else in the world.

“Sharrif talked to us the next day and said Ohio State is great and all, but Coach Meyer said he would DIE for me. That’s pretty intense…

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/1/15/12528 ... n-the-best

EDIT: Leaving this here as to not to confuse anyone, however, the story is fabricated, and Meyer never said these things as proven by the link Aoxo provided, I commented on it and the my opinion on it were made based off of these incorrect comments, so they were removed.
Last edited by Triple-S on Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby aoxo1 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:03 am

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/r ... 4308.story
Not true, says Floyd. Never happened.

The culprit? The story initiated from inside an Ohio State's recruiting site. It surfaced shortly after Floyd announced on national TV that he had chosen the Gators for his college football team.

And following the link to the story in the link you provided SSS...
http://blog.gamecockcentral.com/2010/01 ... tters.html
According to a quote that first appeared on a Ohio State site and has made the rounds on the internet, here’s what the coaches said

Don't believe everything you read on the tubes.
aoxo1

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:54 am

aoxo1 wrote:http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/recruiting/os-recruiting-sharrif-floyd-philly-inquirer-story,0,3954308.story

The culprit? The story initiated from inside an Ohio State's recruiting site. It surfaced shortly after Floyd announced on national TV that he had chosen the Gators for his college football team.

According to a quote that first appeared on a Ohio State site and has made the rounds on the internet, here’s what the coaches said

I appreciate that you discovered this was incorrect and corrected it with a link backing it as not true. I was not aware that this was a phoney story, and for that I apologize and rescind my remarks.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby pup » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:27 am

Triple-S wrote:
aoxo1 wrote:http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/recruiting/os-recruiting-sharrif-floyd-philly-inquirer-story,0,3954308.story

So the story that said the story is true cannot be true, coming from a Buckeye Site.

But the counter story put out by a Florida paper has it right.

Word.
I appreciate that you discovered this was incorrect and corrected it with a link backing it as not true. I was not aware that this was a phoney story, and for that I apologize and rescind my remarks.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby aoxo1 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:14 pm

So Pup, you put more stock in something that originated on an OSU football site with no sourcing (was this even a story, or was it something someone just threw up on a message board?) than something that was reported in the Philadelphia Inquirer, straight from Sharrif Floyd's mouth during an interview? Got it.

I'll be happy to acknowledge that Meyer made the ridiculous comments if there is some kind of reasonable source for them.
aoxo1

Unread postby pup » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:20 pm

aoxo1 wrote:So Pup, you put more stock in something that originated on an OSU football site with no sourcing (was this even a story, or was it something someone just threw up on a message board?) than something that was reported in the Philadelphia Inquirer, straight from Sharrif Floyd's mouth during an interview? Got it.

I'll be happy to acknowledge that Meyer made the ridiculous comments if there is some kind of reasonable source for them.

Well, since the only "reasonable source" would be Urban or the kid and I doubt either will be on record any time soon saying it happened I guess you get to be right.

Not sure where the original quote came from, but hardly does either of them saying it did not happen sway my belief that it could have in fact happened.

98% of selling snake oil and will tell a kid anything. Has nothing to do with the fact I would take Urb in C-Bus anytime. Good for him if it worked. Any idea how his health is these days?

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby aoxo1 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:24 pm

Pup wrote:
aoxo1 wrote:So Pup, you put more stock in something that originated on an OSU football site with no sourcing (was this even a story, or was it something someone just threw up on a message board?) than something that was reported in the Philadelphia Inquirer, straight from Sharrif Floyd's mouth during an interview? Got it.

Well, since the only "reasonable source" would be Urban or the kid and I doubt either will be on record any time soon saying it happened I guess you get to be right.

Not sure where the original quote came from, but hardly does either of them saying it did not happen sway my belief that it could have in fact happened.

98% of selling snake oil and will tell a kid anything. Has nothing to do with the fact I would take Urb in C-Bus anytime. Good for him if it worked. Any idea how his health is these days?

Jim Tressel told Terrelle Pryor that Dick Rod was a satanist.

Hey, who's to say whether it's true or not? These guys are selling snake oil.

I have no info about his health, beyond expect him to be coaching next season.
aoxo1

Unread postby pup » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:19 am

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan