Text Size

College Sports Arena

Looks like we can add Ray Small to the list

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Looks like we can add Ray Small to the list

Unread postby tired » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:22 pm

of players not going to the Rose Bowl. Word has it he broke team rules or something. How many chances does a guy need ???
Do you do drugs? Good!
tired

Favorite Player: I dunno
Least Favorite Player: Boozer

Re: Looks like we can add Ray Small to the list

Unread postby pod2dawg » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:57 am

Sadly in Small's case...372.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby furls » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:26 am

Word on the street is that Small is suspended for a "violation of team rules." I have no idea what exactly he did, but this is a fitting end to the Ray Small saga and now OSU's 2 & 4 WR's are out. This is the chance for someone to step up. There is talent behind Small; I am curious who it will be.

Taurian Washington & Lamar Thomas are obvious guesses and there is of course Jake Stoneburner who is stuck in the no man's land behind between TE and WR. His position has never really been hammered out, but at 6'5" 225-235 with a 4.5 40yd dash, I would like to find out. There are the less likely true freshmen Fields (from Madison) and James Jackson, both of which have been successfully (to this point redshirted this year). I just don't see TSV throwing away a redshirt, even for the Rose Bowl, this late in the season.

All together that leaves three guys for two spots. Your guess is as good as mine. Personally, I would really like to see Taurian Washington and Thomas get some time. Who knows maybe this is the shot one of them needs to break the roster and prevent one of these very talented guys from transferring. Suddenly OSU's deep WR corps seems as shallow as Kim Kardashian, hopefully James Louis comes in as advertised.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby tired » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:26 pm

Great analysis furls !!! Once again this kid has put this football team in a bad spot. The question now is, what does the staff do about replacing a solid third receiver, one with the potential to be star, and more importantly a top drawer kick returner?
Do you do drugs? Good!
tired

Favorite Player: I dunno
Least Favorite Player: Boozer

Unread postby angrybeaver » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:27 pm

Furls wrote:His position has never really been hammered out, but at 6'5" 225-235 with a 4.5 40yd dash, I would like to find out.

Wow... me too. He sounds like a Kellen Winslow caliber tight end...

Biggest concern with Small of course is the return game... us being a run first team and Oregon with a nothing-to-write-home-about run defense.

Kind of a side note... has anyone ever thought about having Saine return kicks? That dude is QUICK.
jack_tors, on rude treatment by Browns fans vs. Pitt 12/11/09 wrote:"Yeah, she is right, that kind of treatment would NEVER happen in Pittsburgh. I have been there, its so full of culture I thought I was in Paris or Milan."

angrybeaver

Favorite Player: Joe Thomas
Least Favorite Player: anti-Big 10/SV crowd

Unread postby danwismar » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:32 pm

Last time Small was unavailable JT turned to the elusive Dane Sanzenbacher to return punts (and he did a commendable job in the Navy game, IIRC) As always, Tressel values catching the punt more than he does returning it. Since Ginn did it as an underclassman, JT has opted for an upperclassman receiver with reliable hands (Holmes, Hartline, Robiskie, Small, Dane) to return punts.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby onlyindreams » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:53 am

This guy has done nothing but disappoint. It looked like he had a mini-turnaround but I guess not. It gives other WRs a chance to get open and wave their arms as Pryor locks on to Posey or Dane. Washington and Thomas are burners and I hope we design some plays to get them the ball in space or on the run.
onlyindreams

Favorite Player: Browns Backup QB
Least Favorite Player: Browns Starting QB

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:23 am

Put me in the camp that thinks Small has contributed virtually nothing while he has been here, despite all that "potential". What did he do THIS year, seriously? One punt return for a TD?

Like w/Mo Wells I feel like I have been waiting for Small to leave for 15 years.

:fu:
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Return to College Sports Arena