Text Size

College Sports Arena

Bowl Games Thread/Discussion

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: Bowl Games Thread/Discussion

Unread postby dmiles » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:03 am

I am really pulling for these AZ kids to get over that 40 total yards goal for the game. Right now with 9:00 they only need 3 more yards.

Hell did Nebraska just punt from the 34 before this last 3 and out? Tons of field goals too, a total ass-whoopin...
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby swerb » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:04 am

Pac 10 sucks
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby swerb » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:05 am

And Bo Pelini has the Blackshirts on their way back to prominence
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby fundamentals » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:42 am

Anyone else have vision problems after watching the game on the Smurf Turf? :gah:
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby angrybeaver » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:12 am

Pac-10 2-3, with a shutout from a conference that doesn't play defense. Without a classic choke job 1-4. I love it.
jack_tors, on rude treatment by Browns fans vs. Pitt 12/11/09 wrote:"Yeah, she is right, that kind of treatment would NEVER happen in Pittsburgh. I have been there, its so full of culture I thought I was in Paris or Milan."

angrybeaver

Favorite Player: Joe Thomas
Least Favorite Player: anti-Big 10/SV crowd

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:20 am

angrybeaver wrote:Pac-10 2-3, with a shutout from a conference that doesn't play defense. Without a classic choke job 1-4. I love it.

The Big 12 might not play defense but Nebraska certainly does- and they play it as well as anyone in the country. If they had a quarterback with a pulse they'd be a top-five team.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby angrybeaver » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:35 am

HermanFontenot wrote:
angrybeaver wrote:Pac-10 2-3, with a shutout from a conference that doesn't play defense. Without a classic choke job 1-4. I love it.

The Big 12 might not play defense but Nebraska certainly does- and they play it as well as anyone in the country. If they had a quarterback with a pulse they'd be a top-five team.

I certainly agree (on that note, who else is creaming over seeing Suh in orange and brown??), just seems like everyone blindly associates a team with their conference's style, so hopefully it tarnished the Pac-10s image a little more (especially cuz of that goose egg they put up), since everyone said they were the real deal all year... when really they were one good team, a couple average teams, and a load of tragedies. :cheers:
jack_tors, on rude treatment by Browns fans vs. Pitt 12/11/09 wrote:"Yeah, she is right, that kind of treatment would NEVER happen in Pittsburgh. I have been there, its so full of culture I thought I was in Paris or Milan."

angrybeaver

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:50 am

Coming in to yesterday, Nebraska had the #3 ranked defense in the country, playing in the pass happy, pinball scoring Big 12. IOW, they have the best D in all of college football.

I parlayed Nebraska and the under, that was my lock of bowl season. Placed my largest bet yet to end a 3 bowl losing streak.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:56 pm

A couple games worth a look today, ILO. Have only wagered 3 Bowls thus far, but looking to get down twice today.

Referencing the "Furls Corollary" (having to do with a teams desire to be at said bowl game) LP likes the Cyclones getting 2.5 from the Gophers, and I also like over the 53 point total in the Navy/Missouri tilt.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:40 pm

Air Force beatin' some ass. I love watching the service academies run.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:16 pm

Keenum is not an NFL prospect. Awful D in Houston, with the exception of their ILB. Giving up 71 yards on a dive? Eek. Whoops, there is INT #6.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:37 pm

Got a barn-burner going in El Paso between Stanford and Oklahoma. Cardinal leads 21-17 in the 2nd.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby angrybeaver » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:27 am

Erie Warrior wrote:Air Force beatin' some ass. I love watching the service academies run.

No kidding, right? I also love that they're so disciplined they commit virtually no penalties.

Oh, and I'll take care of it for ya Swerb...

Pac 10 sucks.

angrybeaver

Unread postby dmiles » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:34 am

I'd really like to have that time back tonight that I spent watching Minnesota hoping for some Big-10 great showing. That was god-awful offense, I know Decker is out for the year but Jesus H is that best QB they can come up with?

On the upshot two of the three big-10 wins they have are teams who still haven't played.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby furls » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:04 am

The PAC-10 should be taking some of the heat off of the b10 this year, key words: should be. LEt's see what happens, but I am not optimistic. That conference is taking a straight up beat down! I took NAVY over Mizzou for some big time confidence points based on the "Furls Corollary." I am telling you, that is the most important aspect of these early games.

Lets recap that Pac 10 performance thus far:
BYU big over Oregon St: 44-20
Utah big over Cal: 37-27
USC over BC: 24-13
UCLA over Temple: 30-21
Nebraska big Over AZ: 33-0
Oklahoma over Stanford: 31-27

So the Pac 10 is 2-4 with a some very bad losses. I like the BUCKS big big today: 31-10.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:19 am

Furls wrote:The PAC-10 should be taking some of the heat off of the b10 this year, key words: should be. LEt's see what happens, but I am not optimistic. That conference is taking a straight up beat down! I took NAVY over Mizzou for some big time confidence points based on the "Furls Corollary." I am telling you, that is the most important aspect of these early games.

Lets recap that Pac 10 performance thus far:
BYU big over Oregon St: 44-20
Utah big over Cal: 37-27
USC over BC: 24-13
UCLA over Temple: 30-21
Nebraska big Over AZ: 33-0
Oklahoma over Stanford: 31-27

So the Pac 10 is 2-4 with a some very bad losses. I like the BUCKS big big today: 31-10.

The Bucks game is tracking kind of odd, in the fact that the public has steamed the line a half point to 4, yet the total is down a point. You would think the Ducks bettor would be all over the over at 51. In any event, a motivated to get the monkey off the back, more complete squad is getting the points here - and, as stated, the PAC is getting exposed. All homerism aside, the Bucks have to be the wager here.

By the way, outside of Auburn, this is all LP sees on the board today. Maybe all the way out to the GMAC Bowl.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby swerb » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:37 am

Big day for the Big Ten.

Penn State and Ohio State win outright today IMO.

Northwestern, doesn't look good for them today on paper ... but under Fitzgerald, there has been no better team in the country as an underdog.

Also got Bowden's finale and the Tebow's final game for Florida. I like FSU to win for Bowden and the Gators to draw and quarter the Bearcats.

Should be a fun day of football.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:50 am

Just going Bucks today. Locked in at +4.5. Steam on the Ducks, fade the general public.

Looking extensively at the Auburn/Northwestern tilt....but 8.5 seems a good line. Kinda like Auburn, but seems too many points, yet having a hard time backing Northwestern either. UnLeaded.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby furls » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:26 am

I think there is a chance that Auburn is a bit overrated, while I think thye win, I don't think it will be by 9. I like FSU simply because I dont have very much confidence in the Big Least, but again not enough to wager on them.

OSU is a lock, I like PSU, and Cincy will lose by 500734 points today.

GO BUCKS
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:29 pm

Lead Pipe wrote:Just going Bucks today. Locked in at +4.5. Steam on the Ducks, fade the general public.

Looking extensively at the Auburn/Northwestern tilt....but 8.5 seems a good line. Kinda like Auburn, but seems too many points, yet having a hard time backing Northwestern either. UnLeaded.

Have you looked at the bowl pickem, are you playing?

Using the 90/10 was the play, I think its nearly undefeated.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby furls » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:39 pm

What is the 90/10?

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby swerb » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:46 pm

Northwestern is absolutely dominating this game, yet trail 14-7 cause of the 2 INTs, both directly resulting in TDs for Auburn.

Kafka and this NW offense look great, despite the picks. Fitzgerald is a helluva coach, really has this team back to where Barnett got em initially. Would not at all mind The Walrus taking a mid to late round flier on Kafka. Always liked this kid.

NW an easy team to like and pull for. Go Wildcats.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:56 pm

If Auburn continues to run the ball, they win this game. I think they have enough playmakers on D to come out ahead. If NW shuts down the run game, they can upset.

Looks like that was a catch, but I disagree with the call. Don't get cocky SEC jerks.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:51 pm

McFadden looks like a good CB.

Damn, pair him up with Eazy-E and we may finally have some form of a secoundary.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:08 pm

Field looks awful for PSU/ LSU. Mud bowl, PSU's LBs should be able to shutdown LSU's speed.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:30 pm

Does it get any better than today?

Watching a good Big Ten/SEC match up in PSU/LSU, B10 greatest gaems is replaying the 97 Rose Bowl win for the Buckeyes, all while we wait for the Rose Bowl w/the Buckeyes.

All I am missing is some Milwaukee's Best.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:40 pm

GO U NORTHWESTERN!

What was that about "SEC speed" again?
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby swerb » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:37 pm

Wow! What a ball game. One of the best of the year. NW has been dead to rights like 3x already. Kafka overcomes 5 INTs to throw his 3rd and 4th TDs in the 4Q to come back from 35-21 to tie it.

All the games have been great so far.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:38 pm

Fumble recovery! One more time here Kafka.

Get this party started for the Big Ten today.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:40 pm

Northwestern..just an amazing play call.

Boise State esque. Brilliant.

:).

Triple-S

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:04 pm

NU's kicker should have to walk home.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Unread postby jb » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:07 pm

This Outback Bolw ending is totally Kafka-esque.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby fundamentals » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:11 pm

Why a fake? Just go for it with a regular set up. Then again, maybe Kafka's arm couldn't function after 78 passes. A fun game to watch.
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:12 pm

If theyda blown out that kicker's knee in the first quarter, Northwestern wins.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:34 pm

Furls wrote:What is the 90/10?

They have the polls for each game up there.

I think every team that the public picked over 90% to win has lost outright.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby jb » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:42 pm

Look man, NU shouldn't be on the same field with Auburn, on any season. They are the Vandy of the Big 10. They are an academic institution where other than a service academy, it is as close as ballers being actual students as any college in the nation.

Auburn is the Lindsay Lohan of the NCAA, constantly in trouble and on probation. Lord only knows what goes on there.

Make no moistake, this is a bowl "win" for the Big 10.
jb

Unread postby jb » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:50 pm

Love the field on the Crapital One Game. Old time football right there. If Eddoie Shore played football, that'd be his field.

Really negates the speed, too.
jb

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:01 pm

JB wrote:Look man, NU shouldn't be on the same field with Auburn, on any season. They are the Vandy of the Big 10. They are an academic institution where other than a service academy, it is as close as ballers being actual students as any college in the nation.

Auburn is the Lindsay Lohan of the NCAA, constantly in trouble and on probation. Lord only knows what goes on there.

Make no moistake, this is a bowl "win" for the Big 10.

This is truth. Auburn should have won by 17. Good on NW, but they covered, so F them.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:09 pm

Daryll Clark sucks.

Paterno needs to die.

That is all.

Thank you for your time.
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby jb » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:18 pm

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:Daryll Clark sucks.

Paterno needs to die.

That is all.

Thank you for your time.

Not so fast my friend.
jb

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:21 pm

Is it just me or does Leslie Miles look like he could be an excellent snake oil salesman?
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:27 pm

No time to read this whole thread, but checkin in to make sure JB is comin clean on his Big Ten sucks mantra.

Looking, reasonable at this point. Which is all we can ask unless we go USC and start paying kids.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby furls » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:43 pm

Northwestern wins if kafka only throws 4 picks!

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:44 pm

Partly true. But living in the south, it's good to get a W for the Union army. And NW helped the cause even with the loss. Buckeyes show up, and I've got some chest thumping to do on Monday.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:59 pm

JB wrote:Love the field on the Crapital One Game. Old time football right there. If Eddoie Shore played football, that'd be his field.

That field was an absolute disgrace. They shouldn't be allowed to host another bowl game there until they get new turf.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby jb » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:25 pm

wiz1001 wrote:
JB wrote:Love the field on the Crapital One Game. Old time football right there. If Eddoie Shore played football, that'd be his field.

That field was an absolute disgrace. They shouldn't be allowed to host another bowl game there until they get new turf.

Booooooooo !

It was even better than old Muni. Too bad all Big 10 vs SEC games can't be on similar fields, wiz.

Real football. Finally.
jb

Unread postby jb » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:26 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:

Partly true. But living in the south, it's good to get a W for the Union army. And NW helped the cause even with the loss. Buckeyes show up, and I've got some chest thumping to do on Monday.

Not even close to sucking.

I'd draft him before I'd draft cryin' Teabags. Not before round 3, but I'd work with him.
jb

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:45 pm

LSU is the worst 9 win football team college football has seen in awhile. Penn State is garbage too, but better today and got it done. Les Miles is a joke.

2009 season..... Officially Over. Thank God.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:52 pm

JB wrote: Not even close to sucking.

Dude, I love the Ohio guys too, but really? He's not a good passer. Pimp Y-town all you want, but no better than a 3rd rounder. Better than Te-bag, yes, but not NFL good.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby jb » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:06 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:
JB wrote: Not even close to sucking.

Dude, I love the Ohio guys too, but really? He's not a good passer. Pimp Y-town all you want, but no better than a 3rd rounder. Better than Te-bag, yes, but not NFL good.

All I'm sayin' is he doesn't "suck" and he'll get a shot as a project taken on day one in April. Now he's beaten a name team in a blwl game, his major knock. Not bad for a college career. I'm not in Soul Puppy love with him, just sayin' I've seen Steve Bellisari and he ain't it. Not even close.
jb

PreviousNext

Return to College Sports Arena