Text Size

College Sports Arena

Big Ten to add 12th team?

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: Big Ten to add 12th team?

Unread postby Anglefan » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:18 am

GameTimeAllTheTime wrote:Notre Dame wont join b/c of NBC and they don't want to share there money with the conference which all teams have to do. So they will continue to stay independent because it's the better choice financially.

That's not the reason because, as has been pointed out, every single Big Ten team makes more than double in TV revenue what ND does. I've actually heard the figure ND gets quoted at as low as $3 million per year.
Anglefan

Unread postby GameTimeAllTheTime » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:22 am

Oh sorry then I didn't know the specifics but, since ND just doesn't seem like a possibility. I think it would be best to add a team from the NY/NJ area like Syracuse or Rutgers. If thats not an option then they could always add Pitt who has a few NC wins and is a football town that would fit well into the big10's mid western theme/fan base.
"If we take Clark with our 2nd round pick as SD suggests, I will tie my penis in a knot." -------- Ziner on drafting Daryll Clark
GameTimeAllTheTime

Favorite Player: Lebron James
Least Favorite Player: Chublie Weis

Unread postby JoJo White » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:41 am

gnati wrote:
No, and no.

It is a coup for any conference to land UT. Texas is the most valuable football program in the country and any conference would be lucky to have them.

Fair enough and if I grant that point to you...

If the Big Ten comes callin for Missouri...and/or the Pac 10 comes callin for Colorado...

Texas is going to be left with its dick in its hand, in an increasingly irrelevant conference with dwindling TV revenue from an already small base.

So yeah, Texas may be all that and a bag of chips, but it can play with itself, so to speak, and if they decide not to play (with anyone, not suggesting Big Ten is only option) I think they will come to regret it.

Hopey Changey stuff is happening, Texas needs to decide which wagon it wants to hitch itself to...Big 10, Pac 10 or SEC.

And if it does happen, Texas will indeed have its choice as every conference is going to fall all over itself to offer membership to the most valuable football program in the country and would deliver the state of Texas.

IF the Big 12 does disband (and I would not be heartbroken if it does), the Pac 10 makes much more sense given the cultural similarities between Austin and the West Coast. I also don't think the politicians in Texas would allow UT to join the Big 10 or Pac 10 or SEC or whatever without also taking Texas A&M. That's almost a given, especially with an Aggy governor. Add the fact that the Big 10 sucks at college baseball (UT is the most prestigious college baseball program) and I don't see any athletic reason for UT to join the Rust Belt states.

The best arguement I could entertain for inclusion would be that UT would get a portion of the CIC money that is now split among the Big 10 schools. But that's a decision that would be driven more by academics than athletics.
JoJo White

Favorite Player: Johann Olav Koss
Least Favorite Player: Zola Budd

Unread postby JoJo White » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:42 am

Anglefan wrote:
JoJo White wrote:
Anglefan wrote:The Big Ten has done incredibly well in the Alamo Bowl actually, considering that it's a road game every year.

Last 5 years in the Alamo Bowl: Big 12 4-1, Big 10 1-4. And the one win was against Aggy so it doesn't count.

Anglefan wrote:The Big 12 isn't worth shit. It's a mess.

Your very low IQ is evidenced by the fact that you don't understand the separation between the record of the number four Big 12 team vs. the number five Big Ten team in a bowl game and what is a very weak conference financially and structurally. Mentioning a record over a period of five games just shows an incredible ignorance of the massive long term scope this whole thing covers. A quite blissful simpleton stupidity is very comforting to you, I'm sure. If us adults want to discuss this in real life terms, just take your Skip Bayless level sound bytes to a separate thread please.

HUH???!?!!?!??!!

JoJo White

Unread postby Anglefan » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:33 am

I rest my case.
Anglefan

Unread postby gnati » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:42 am

And if it does happen, Texas will indeed have its choice as every conference is going to fall all over itself to offer membership to the most valuable football program in the country and would deliver the state of Texas.

Which I guess is my point. Even if Texas is what you say they are, they don't really control their destiny as much as you might think. They may very well be forced to do something they dont want to do simply because of the lesser programs in the Big 12 and the overall weakness (in demographic, etc) of the conference

IF the Big 12 does disband (and I would not be heartbroken if it does), the Pac 10 makes much more sense given the cultural similarities between Austin and the West Coast. I also don't think the politicians in Texas would allow UT to join the Big 10 or Pac 10 or SEC or whatever without also taking Texas A&M. That's almost a given, especially with an Aggy governor. Add the fact that the Big 10 sucks at college baseball (UT is the most prestigious college baseball program) and I don't see any athletic reason for UT to join the Rust Belt states.

Perhaps, but Governors change...and I think prestigious is a pretty subjective term...I mean USC has more titles....

The best arguement I could entertain for inclusion would be that UT would get a portion of the CIC money that is now split among the Big 10 schools. But that's a decision that would be driven more by academics than athletics.

So it really depends on who is making the decision, Presidents or AD's...

I would also think the TV money the Big 10 brings factors in, including expansion of the Big Ten Network money...

I have no idea what will happen, but I am fairly confident the Big 12 is going to get bent over and redone in the coming years...
gnati

Favorite Player: .
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:08 pm

Many good points from Nati and JoJo. While $$ is certainly the straw that stirs the drink, correctly claiming that UT is the crown jewel of the B12 is akin to being named the King of Turd Mountain. By any objective measure, (endowments, athletic budget, football revenues, academic ranking) the aggregate B12 falls way behind the aggregate B10. Yes, conferences will be tripping over themselves to land UT when the B12 falls apart. But to dismiss the B10 out of hand just because they "suck at baseball" is short sighted. I doubt UT would consider the SEC as it is such a poor fit academically. So that leaves the B10 or PAC 10. Or some type of new SWC re-incarnation.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby JoJo White » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:49 pm

mattvan1 wrote:Many good points from Nati and JoJo. While $$ is certainly the straw that stirs the drink, correctly claiming that UT is the crown jewel of the B12 is akin to being named the King of Turd Mountain. By any objective measure, (endowments, athletic budget, football revenues, academic ranking) the aggregate B12 falls way behind the aggregate B10. Yes, conferences will be tripping over themselves to land UT when the B12 falls apart. But to dismiss the B10 out of hand just because they "suck at baseball" is short sighted. I doubt UT would consider the SEC as it is such a poor fit academically. So that leaves the B10 or PAC 10. Or some type of new SWC re-incarnation.

The Big 12 was a poorly conceived conference to begin with and as I said earlier, I will shed no tears if it is disbanded. The only universities in the Big 12 that are located in major cities are UT (Austin) and Colorado (Boulder/Denver). Most other schools are in fairly small towns far away from population centers. That's probably why the Big 12 cannot land a big $$ contract like the Big 10 and SEC. The rest of the conference is a big millstone that UT has been lugging around for the past 10 years. There is very little that colleges like Iowa State and even Missouri bring to the table. When I first heard the rumblings about Mizzou to the Big 10, I LOL'd as I think all that talk and rumors were merely one big stalking horse for the real prize...

On the field, there's very little benefit for UT as 98% of all UT recruits will forever be Texas kids and fan support in road games would suffer as traveling to traveling to Madison or State College in November would absolutely suck, to say nothing of how few fans would travel for basketball, baseball, volleyball, you-name-it. Big 10 fans, though, would go apeshit as a road game to Austin would be akin to extra bowl game for those teams lucky enough to land UT on its road schedule.

I just hope Texas jump at the first offer, b/c, as I and mattvan pointed out, UT is without question one of the big swinging dicks in college athletics and landing the university means bringing in the state of Texas. The Pac 10 is a better fit culturally to Austin, I think the Pac 10 would have the room to accomodate both UT and A&M, the road trips would be much more pleasant for the fans, and recruiting would be enhanced.

SI ran an article yesterday that argues the Pac 10 should make UT its primary target:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/w ... index.html

This brings us back to Texas. Utah is a decent choice to join the league, Colorado would be a good fit, and the league should pursue either or both. But there's a reason Texas is reportedly being targeted by the Big Ten -- and why Austin should be Scott's first stop (and also, why he should keep visiting).

We're talking about one of the nation's premier athletic programs, and a bona fide cash cow (for the 2008-09 school year, Texas brought in $138 million in revenue, with profits of $25 million; the football program generated profits of nearly $60 million). Start with the TV markets -- Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and, of course, Austin -- but don't forget the Longhorns are also a national draw (in the Pac-10, only USC turns on as many TV sets). It's hard to define that value, but it's big.

In the end, I think Deloss Dodds is going to play all the conferences (Big 10 vs Pac 10 vs Big 12 vs every other confernce) against each other in an attempt to get the sweetest deal for Texas.
Last edited by JoJo White on Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoJo White

Unread postby JoJo White » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:51 pm

Anglefan wrote:I rest my case.

Your rapacious wit has bottled my mind.
JoJo White

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:14 pm

JoJo White wrote:
FUDU wrote:
JoJo White wrote:Sorry, Texas will not join the big 10.

Dare to dream though...

They'd be better off not to, we play defense up here.

;-) ;) :wink:

GO look up Big 10 vs. Big 12 in bowl games the past couple years and then get back to me. Scoreboard is scoreboard.

I understand that, it's just that our scoreboards rarely have the losers scoring 40 points.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby GameTimeAllTheTime » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:58 pm

It would be cool to pull Nebraska into the big 10. Seriously we should get off the Big 12 discussion and back onto the big 10.
"If we take Clark with our 2nd round pick as SD suggests, I will tie my penis in a knot." -------- Ziner on drafting Daryll Clark
GameTimeAllTheTime

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:07 pm

GameTimeAllTheTime wrote:It would be cool to pull Nebraska into the big 10. Seriously we should get off the Big 12 discussion and back onto the big 10.

Why? and Why? This is the "College Sports Arena", and right now the possible expansion of the B10 and (eventual) re-structuring of the B12 is a good discussion topic. If I added a Michigan Sucks would it make you feel better?

JoJo, while being an obnoxious T-sip, is dead spot on. UT is the crown jewel of the B12. Why the fuck would would we want Nebraska? So West Lafayette would not be the shittiest cow-town campus in the conference?
mattvan1

Unread postby GameTimeAllTheTime » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:13 pm

Nebraska has a lot of tradition and is closer to big 10 country.

95' Greatest Team of All Time Or 71' Team

Program began in 1890

Nebraska has claimed 46 conference championships and part or all of five national championships: 1970, 1971, 1994, 1995, and 1997. The titles in the 1990s marked the first time since Notre Dame in 1946–49 when a team won three national championships in four seasons. The 1994 and 1995 seasons still stand as the only consensus back-to-back national titles by any Division 1-A school since Oklahoma in 1956-57. Nebraska posted a 60–3–0 record between the 1993-97 seasons. ESPN.com has named the 1971 Nebraska Cornhusker team the greatest team of all time.[5]
The Nebraska Cornhuskers also have five undefeated seasons when they were not the national champions; 1902, 1903, 1913, 1914, and 1915. Between 1912 and 1916, a 34 game win streak was recorded by then head coach Ewald O. Stiehm.[6] Famous former Huskers include Heisman Trophy winners Johnny Rodgers, Mike Rozier, and Eric Crouch. Rodgers was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame and for the new millennium he was voted the team's "Player of the Century"; his Cornhusker jersey (No. 20) was retired. Rozier was likewise inducted into the hall in 2006. Other Husker players and coaches who are members of the College Football Hall of Fame include: Forrest Behm, Bob Brown, Guy Chamberlin, Sam Francis, Rich Glover, Wayne Meylan, Bobby Reynolds, Dave Rimington, George Sauer, Clarence Swanson, Ed Weir, and coaches Gomer Jones, Pete Elliott, Francis(Close the Gates of Mercy) Schmidt,Dana X. Bible, Bob Devaney, Biff Jones, Tom Osborne, Eddie "Robbie" Robinson,Fielding Yost, and Grant Wistrom.[7]

Also not mentioned Tommie Frazier 33-3 as a starter.

Source: Wikipedia

They have more tradition then the Texas Longhorns.

Individual Award Winners:

Heisman: Johnny Rodgers, Eric Crouch, Mike Rozier
Walter Camp Award: Johnny Rodgers, Mike Rozier, Eric Crouch
Maxwell Award: Mike Rozier
AP Player of the Year 2009: Ndamukong Suh
Davey O'Brien Award: Eric Crouch
Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award: Tommie Frazier
Dave Rimmington Trophy: Dominic Raiola
Dick Butkus Award: Trev Alberts
Bronko Nagurski Award: Ndamukong Suh
Chuck Bednarik Award: Ndamukong Suh
Lombardi Award: Rich Glover, Dave Rimington, Dean Steinkuhler, Grant Wistrom, Ndamukong Suh
Outland Trophy: Larry Jacobson, Rich Glover, Dave Rimington, Dean Steinkuhler, Will Shields, Zach Wiegert, Aaron Taylor, Ndamukong Suh

Coach Awards:

Paul Bear Bryant Award:
Bob Devaney

The Home Depot Coach of the Year Award:
Tom Osborne - 1999 (Recognized as coach of the decade)

Paul "Bear" Bryant Lifetime Achievement Award:
Tom Osborne - 2007
2nd year, 19–8 (.704)
Home stadium Memorial Stadium, Lincoln
Stadium capacity 86,304 [1]
Stadium surface FieldTurf
Location Lincoln, Nebraska
Conference Big 12
Division North
All-time record 827–341–40 (.701)
Postseason bowl record 24–22
Claimed national titles 5
Conference titles 46
Heisman winners 3
Consensus All-Americans 52[2]
________________________________________________________________________________________
The University of Nebraska–Lincoln admitted about 67% of all applicants in 2008, and 68% of those admitted went on to enroll at the school. In 2007, the U.S. News and World Report rated it as a "more selective" university.[10] On a 25th percentile/75th percentile measurement, students scored 500/650 on the SAT critical reading section and 530/670 on the math section. ACT composite scores were 22/28.[11] Eighty-five percent of undergraduates are white, with a little over 53% being male, and 47% being female.[12] About 18% of undergraduate students are from outside the state of Nebraska (excluding internationals). The ratio of students to faculty in 2008 was 20 to 1.[13] The school is in the first tier and ranked 89th in the U.S. News and World Report's national rankings.[14]
[edit]Colleges and departments
The university offers more than 140 undergraduate majors and 275 programs of study through 9 colleges:[15]
____________________________________________________________________________________________
Established: 1869
Endowment: $191,285,90
Faculty: 1,452
Students: 22,973
Undergraduates: 17,371
Postgraduates: 4,655

Happy......

All of my stuff comes from Wiki though so its most likely not 100% accurate but I don't feel like doing too much work to show you there worthy of joining the big 10.
Last edited by GameTimeAllTheTime on Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
GameTimeAllTheTime

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:19 pm

GameTimeAllTheTime wrote:Nebraska has a lot of tradition besides Texas and its closer to big 10 country.

95' Greatest Team of All Time Or 71' Team

Program began in 1890

They have more tradition then the Texas Longhorns.

OMG. That's your argument? Why don't we ask Army? They had a pretty good team in '45 or so?

Really? How about endowments, football revenue, athletic budget, academic standards? I guess those don't matter?
mattvan1

Unread postby GameTimeAllTheTime » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:31 pm

I Re-edited my post check it.
GameTimeAllTheTime

Unread postby GameTimeAllTheTime » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:42 pm

GameTimeAllTheTime

Unread postby jb » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:46 pm

Lead Pipe wrote:They should expand farther than Nebraska or Missouri, that way when the hoops players who have class at OSU on Tuesdays play the ESPN Big Monday 9:00 game, they can be back on campus, fresh, and ready for class by about 4:00 am.

Love the take Piper. Love it. The hypocracy over why we can;t have a D 1A playoff as it'd take too much time away from "studies".

Travel fro State College to compete in Austin regulalrly in all soprts? Just pay the dang kids already.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Triple-S » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:42 am

mattvan1 wrote:JoJo, while being an obnoxious T-sip, is dead spot on. UT is the crown jewel of the B12. Why the fuck would would we want Nebraska? So West Lafayette would not be the shittiest cow-town campus in the conference?

the hell are you talking?

W. Lafayette/Lafayette's a nice town, there's a decent pizza place, you're about 2 hours from Chicago, 1 hour from Indy. Tailgating on gamedays is fun as hell, and most importantly, on campus there's some hot girls.

http://carliblum.com/Iowa%20Game%20-%20 ... 0-%201.JPG

You're telling me, you'd rated W. Lafayette lower than Iowa City, where's there's pretty much nothing there?
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:23 pm

Triple-S wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:JoJo, while being an obnoxious T-sip, is dead spot on. UT is the crown jewel of the B12. Why the fuck would would we want Nebraska? So West Lafayette would not be the shittiest cow-town campus in the conference?

the hell are you talking?

W. Lafayette/Lafayette's a nice town, there's a decent pizza place, you're about 2 hours from Chicago, 1 hour from Indy. Tailgating on gamedays is fun as hell, and most importantly, on campus there's some hot girls.

http://carliblum.com/Iowa%20Game%20-%20 ... 0-%201.JPG

You're telling me, you'd rated W. Lafayette lower than Iowa City, where's there's pretty much nothing there?

He's taken the bait................lol

Chicks are way hotter at Iowa. ;-) ;) :wink:
mattvan1

Unread postby aoxo1 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:07 am

LOL West Lafayette is awesome, there is even a decent pizza place!
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:12 am

aoxo1 wrote:LOL West Lafayette is awesome, there is even a decent pizza place!

Better than State College, PA at the very least. ;).
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby furls » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:43 am

Your very low IQ is evidenced by the fact that you don't understand the separation between the record of the number four Big 12 team vs. the number five Big Ten team in a bowl game and what is a very weak conference financially and structurally. Mentioning a record over a period of five games just shows an incredible ignorance of the massive long term scope this whole thing covers. A quite blissful simpleton stupidity is very comforting to you, I'm sure. If us adults want to discuss this in real life terms, just take your Skip Bayless level sound bytes to a separate thread please.

Anglefan,

Attack the logic of the post not the poseter. We don't tolerate that weak shit in this forum. You are warned.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby furls » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:06 am

As for Nebraska, they offer nothing tangible to the Big ten but a football team that used to be good and might be one day soon. The Big Ten is going to be interestested in bringing in an academic powerhouse as well as a new market. While Lincoln might be a decent city , it is certainly not going to do much for expanding the B10 network etc. This decision is not about football heritage/pedigree alone, it is first and foremost about $$$, then academics, then geography. Mizzou is a better fit for thos e reasons than NE, of course TX is the best fit for the B10, what remains to be seen is whether the B10 is the right fit for the school. I can tell you that the president of UT would love to be in the B10 Illuminati club, the question is whether they can convince the fans to make it politically palatable.

Here are some interesting distances:

Happy Valley to Lincoln NE: 1200miles
Austin to Happy Valley : 1500miles
Boston to Miami: 1500miles
Seattle to Tuscon: 1600miles
Seattle to Austin: 2200 miles
Minny to Happy Valley: 1100 miles
Austin to Lincoln: 900 miles

The Austin geography is not as bad as it seems at first.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:52 am

JoJo White wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:
JoJo White wrote:Sorry, Texas will not join the big 10.

Dare to dream though...

Agree they will not join, but UT needs the B10 (or PAC10) way more than either of those conferences need UT.

No, and no.

It is a coup for any conference to land UT. Texas is the most valuable football program in the country and any conference would be lucky to have them.

http://www.usnews.com/blogs/paper-trail ... -team.html

I don't agree that the UT needs the B10, but you are still also looking at this from a very narrow viewpoint as well if all you are pointing to in ANY response to this topic is the football team....

The B10 package that would be in the cards for UT is an extremely pofitable deal, infinitley more than the B12 could ever afford, and much more that the Pacten could offer as well, from the Research funds to TV deals.

Make no mistake, UT will not get a better package of perks and funding from any other conference or independance.

Both UT and the B10 would be worth more immediately upon striking that deal.

Any ridiculous banter about on the field results or belittleing the benifits of joining the B10 could and should be laughed at, as at the very least anyone saying such things is misinformed and/or ignorant of the major issues that will govern this decision for UT and the B10.

EDIT: Also, I was just reading an article about how UT had approached the B10 before the B12 formed however was turned back because after PSU joined they put a 4-year stop to expansion, otherwise UT may have already joined the B10.

My point is that it seems pretty damn even for both the B10 and Texas, both have A LOT to gain from this possible marriage.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby jb » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:09 pm

Triple-S wrote:
aoxo1 wrote:LOL West Lafayette is awesome, there is even a decent pizza place!

Better than State College, PA at the very least. ;).

F Pizza King.

Bruno's rules.

And highway pizza in State Penn is the shizznit, too.
jb

Unread postby gnati » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:47 pm

Add the fact that the Big 10 sucks at college baseball (UT is the most prestigious college baseball program) and I don't see any athletic reason for UT to join the Rust Belt states.

OK, I missed this before but this is...how do I say it....just fucking silly.

I am sure there are a handful of people who get a hard on for Texas baseball, and they are one of the best programs going, but the fact of the matter is college baseball is a niche sport and I don't believe there is a single revenue producing college baseball program that exists - so even Texas loses money playing baseball.

It would be like Michigan getting an offer to join a more academically prestigious conference where it would double (triple?) its money intake...and them saying, yeah but the new conference sucks in hockey.

Well, it wouldn't exactly be the same, Michigan makes money with hockey, but I'm just sayin....
gnati

Favorite Player: .
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:59 pm

This is probably one of the better pieces written on the topic and it illustrates just how horrifically offbase some of the comments in this thread are:

Being Bill Powers
Posted by horninexile on February 15th, 2010 under Baseball, Basketball, Football

“What starts here changes the world.”

The inevitable age of the college football superconference will soon be upon us. Who will the Big 10 lure to share in its cable network riches and join its elite academic consortium, the Committee on Institutional Cooperation? Will the PAC 10 make the first move? Will Notre Dame wise up and end a century of isolationism? If it suffers from a defector, what will become of the Big 12? Speculation on the Interwebs runs wild. And in a recent development, most pundits are aligning on the University of Texas, not Notre Dame, as the true “belle of the ball.”

Frustrated Horns fans seeking informed insight are buying fresh fish to capture some residual value from their Statesmen subscription and looking online for answers. The uncertainty of travel itineraries to PAC 10 vs Big 10 venues, and the glass-half-empty thought of being stranded in a weakened Big 12, has our spoiled, elitist community on the verge of panic. There are so many moving parts, and so much (of not our) money at stake, we are longing for a Valentine to tell us whether to buy, sell, hold or panic.

“People who own the pork belly contracts are saying, “I ain’t gonna have no money to buy my son the G.I. Joe with the kung-fu grip!”

Fortunately, the fate of our conference affiliation does not rest in the portfolio of a panicked commodities broker concerned about his love life. The man with his finger on the button is a rational, deliberate, intelligent leader – a university president that actually fits the profile you would expect but so rarely find. Therefore, all one needs to do to visualize the most probable end game for the Texas Longhorns is to find the secret portal into the mind of William Powers Jr., president of The University of Texas at Austin.

If such a portal existed, what might we see?

Perspective of The University’s President

Bill Powers has a great gig. Following a brilliant career as a legal scholar, Powers ascended to the pinnacle of his profession just as Longhorns everywhere were celebrating our first football national championship in 35 years. His predecessors at the top of the burnt orange tower had managed through the crises of failed coaches competing in a dysfunctional, marginalized athletic conference. Generally speaking, university presidents try hard to spend the vast majority of their time on the factors most impacting the core mission of the university – revenue management, legislative relations, faculty relations, student relations, donor relations… but success in football, in particular, contributes to the mood that affects perceptions of how well a university president is performing. Powers inherited arguably the best managed football program in the country, and his primary job in that regard is to not do anything stupid and be known as the guy that mucked up a good thing.

In the Big 12, the university presidents/chancellors, not the athletic directors, comprise the board of directors of the conference. Therefore, unlike many other university presidents across the country, Powers has had direct experience in the oversight of TV deals and the dynamics of inter-university relationships, where your business partners splitting a substantial revenue pie are also your sometimes bitter on-the-field competitors.

The Big 12 has been very good to Texas. Not to take an ounce of credit away from Mack Brown, but it would have been so much more difficult to retain Texas talent to compete in the Southwest Conference. In all likelihood, without the Big 12, Mack probably would have sized up the challenges and not taken the job in the first place. With Nebraska and Oklahoma in football and Kansas in basketball, the Big 12 is one of the major powers in college athletics. It is a good conference and, importantly, Texas has been able to rise to the top of it. Leading the move from something very good to something different is one way that Powers could potentially muck up a good thing.

But how long the Big 12 will be a major power is the uncertainty on the horizon. The bonds that bind these twelve universities are relatively weak, and marriages for convenience rarely last. The Big 10, on the other hand, has that true love thing going for it. Those universities are soul mates that connect at the core of their raison d’être – academic excellence.

From Powers’ perspective, the status quo is good as long as the status quo is an option. However, the country minute that the Big 12 lineup changes and its revenue potential weakens, Powers will have the excuse he needs to pursue his own mark on Texas athletics, and earn huge kudos from the university faculty in the process. Public posturing and poker facing aside, Powers will have his eyes set on the land of academic milk and TV honey – the Big 10.

When the Bow Breaks

The easiest forecast to make is that some kind of change is coming. First, the SEC sold its soul to ESPN, or vice versa. Then, Joe Pa publicly calls for the Big 10, which is really eleven, to make it an even twelve, so that they can play that conference championship game and make a lot more dough. Outside of the possibility of the University of Chicago upgrading its football program from D-III, this means expansion.

(Speaking of university presidents mucking up a good thing, how about the legacy of Maynard Hutchins? In 1939, he decided that athletics were not important to an elite university and dropped Chicago out of the Big 10. Talk about a different era, old Maynard became a university president at the ripe age of 30. But I digress.) (This academic digression has been brought to you by Wikipedia.)

As speculation began about which universities are Big 10 worthy and which will ultimately receive the coveted invite, the PAC 10 began its own talks of expansion, and it will need to add two schools to meet the minimum requirement to hold a lucrative conference championship game. The PAC 10 is a conference that has been in a state of equilibrium for 32 years. Similar to the Big 10, the PAC 10 wants two schools that will be accretive to its current revenues per share. Boise State need not apply.

Where will the PAC 10 find major programs to invite? They really have no choice but to look east. Given its recent past, Colorado needs change for the sake of change to rejuvenate the donor base. Besides, the Buffs are instantly more competitive in the PAC 10. BYU and Utah are also candidates, and BYU would probably get the nod.

The PAC 10 might very well place a courtesy call to Cal alumnus Bill Powers, but there would be nothing serious to the discussion. The two time zone differential is a bigger deal than the travel costs. PAC 10 teams are always complaining that the east coast AP voters go to bed before their games finish. The cool factor would quickly pass as we learn that Cal fans are whiners just like everybody else we dominate. (Anyone remember Rose Bowl lobbygate?)

Even though the Big 10 began expansion discussions first and needs to add just one school, expect the PAC 10 to move first. Importantly, the PAC 10 will be useful to Texas when it breaks the seal of the Big 12 with the recruitment of Colorado.

While inside the mind of Powers, take note of how important it will be for Texas not to make the first move. Powers’ job description involves managing a complex brew of relationships, not the least of which is big-P Political (versus small-p political, which is a rich tradition in universities of all sizes and reputations). Were Texas to initiate the move that drops the value of Texas Tech’s share of a TV deal in half, the talk in the capitol building will be about Texas’ greed and complete disdain for other parts of the state. The West Texas lobby may not be strong enough to keep the deal from going forward, but a university president can die from a thousand papercuts.

You want more control over tuition? You want relief from the top-10% rule? Cry me a river, Mr. Ivory Tower. We’ll show you who runs the show in this state. Sorry that we can’t afford to fund your building maintenance requests. Better luck next year.

Some historians will note that Texas had a hand in leaving TCU, SMU, Houston and Rice in limbo when the Big 12 was formed. The way former K-State president Jon Wefald has told the story, the Big 8 made an initial overture to form the Big 16, and that it was Texas president Robert Berdahl who indicated his preference to split the pie twelve ways rather than sixteen. But it is also important to note that UT already had very poor relations with the Legislature at that time, something Larry Faulkner and now Bill Powers have worked effectively to improve.

On the other hand, if Colorado or Missouri make the first move (and both could make a move without directly impacting another university in their respective states), then Powers will have the moral authority to make the move that best serves Texas. Adding TCU to replace a defector will result in a net loss to Texas. While Powers may be politically prohibited from initiating a move, he will be held blameless for reacting to one.

Using Leverage to Acquire More Leverage

Even if Notre Dame gets smart and jumps into the Big 10 before it’s too late, the Big 10 has too many reasons ($$$) to not want Texas and Texas A&M added to its league mix. And no, it’s not just about TV money and athletics. Just as Texas and A&M academics would benefit from joining the Committee on Institutional Cooperation, the CIC members would benefit in equal measure with the addition of the Texas elites. To capture the breadth of this opportunity as one could see from Powers’ perspective, a short discussion of research university economics could be useful to many a sportswriter.

Financially speaking, the university R&D game is more valuable to our university than the football program. Let’s say that UT is doing roughly half-a-billion dollars of sponsored research every year, the majority of which involves the federal government as the sponsor. When a UT research team wins a research contract from the National Science Foundation or the Department Energy or the National Institute of Health, etc., approximately one-half of the grant goes to the university’s bottom line for “overhead.”

To randomly pull an example from UT’s website, when Dr. Jane Maxwell of UT’s School of Social Work received a 2-year, $418,000 grant from the National Institute on Drug Abuse “to monitor the changing methamphetamine market in the Austin area,” approximately $200k or so of the grant award is actually used to perform the research, and the remainder contributes to the costs of running a first class university.

To use recruiting vernacular, Dr. Maxwell with her very nice grant might be rated a 3-star performer. Universities compete for her to join their ranks, but they want even more of the 4-star engineering variety (because the grants can be much larger) and the occasional “eminent scholar,” a 5-star producer with a revolving 3-year, $15 million National Cancer Institute grant, three patents licensed to pharmaceutical companies and a venture capital financed startup developing a promising new therapy for Alzheimer’s based on his/her technology.

Powers’ franchise, covering only the main UT campus, ranks 32nd nationally in R&D expenditures, one slot ahead of Northwestern, one behind Yale and two behind Harvard (SOURCE: National Science Foundation/Division of Science Resources Statistics, Survey of Research and Development Expenditures at Universities and Colleges, FY 2007). A&M (22nd) actually outpaces Texas due to some inherent advantages of being a land-grant university. Several higher ranked R&D universities, such as Colorado, have medical schools rolled into their numbers and therefore draw more funding from the NIH. When thinking of UT-Austin’s ranking without a medical school, take note that the UT System’s MD Anderson, all by itself, ranks 26th.

Just as in major college football, there are “haves” and there are “have nots.” Texas, A&M, Colorado and ALL of the Big 10 universities are R&D “haves.” The same cannot be said for predominantly football powers like Alabama and Oklahoma. Even with a medical school rolling into its numbers, the University of Oklahoma ranks 97th, with approximately 40% of the R&D expenditures of UT’s main campus. Alabama? Try 190th – less than 10% of the R&D expenditures of UT-Austin. Alabama President Robert Witt, a former dean of the business school at Texas, has a football program that’s literally twice the size of his university’s R&D enterprise. Roll Tide!

Powers knows that the Big 10 universities compete individually and as a region for its fair share of the federal R&D pie and that, despite the greatness of its member universities, the Big 10 region has not faired nearly as well as the coasts. Compared to numerous universities in California and Massachusetts, several of which don’t give a second thought about college football (MIT, Cal-Davis, Cal Tech, U of San Francisco, etc), there is a rather dramatic concentration of academic R&D that is not favorable to the Midwest or Southwest. Point being, there is room for growth here, and adding two powerful Senators from Texas to the sixteen Senators representing Big 10 states is not an insignificant addition. Without Texas, the CIC universities represent the best of the rust belt. With Texas, the CIC represents the best of the middle of the country.

Perhaps the Midwest is sick from its rust belt economic diseases, but the country as a whole cannot afford to let this populous region die. (I’ve always wondered if we could make a dent in the federal debt by selling Michigan to China, but I doubt the idea would get much traction with the unions.) The path to recovery over the next quarter century will come from research-intensive companies and light manufacturing, and since we’re going to see less of this work commercialized in overtaxed hyper-inflated California going forward, we might as well start shifting the R as well as the D towards the middle of the country.

Truth be told, the Big 10 universities have not taken the opportunity to expand its ranks, leverage its CIC into a more powerful lobby, and use a critical mass of political power for the good of its home states that have suffered terrible economic misfortune. Eight states in the Big 10 conference means sixteen Senators. Expand to twelve states and you’ll have 24 Senators packing a much bigger political punch.

Bill Powers is the kind of leader that can take this message into the greater discussion of conference expansion. You want to acquire my university’s football brand and TV market footprint in order to negotiate a better package from ESPN? I’m interested. But while we’re at it, let’s talk about how we’re going to change the world.

Powers will see value to having Texas join the Big 10 as it is. Powers will see more value – for athletics and for academic research – by seeing the Big 10 strategically expand into a 16-university, 12-state superconference.

Riding Texas’ Coattails

First and foremost, wherever Texas goes, Texas A&M will be along for the ride. For athletics, it is important to preserve this important rivalry. Texas and Oklahoma sustained a rivalry for decades before they were in the same conference, and the rivalry can be preserved if they once again are part of different conferences. A&M, however, has been attached to Texas for longer than anyone alive can remember. But more importantly, A&M will go with Texas because of 1) the merits of A&M’s academic research enterprise, and 2) the common issues with the Texas Legislature over tuition controls, top 10% admissions and preservation of the lucrative endowment funds (not that they’re endangered, but you never know).

However, an expansion of the Big 10 to include 14 universities would not necessarily be good for Powers’ legacy if it devolves into a 12+2 mentality. If Texas is to join the Big 10, it will be in Texas’ interests to see the nexus of Big 10 markets gravitate westward. If Texas and A&M are in the expansion, the 14th university needs to be Missouri, not Pittsburgh or Syracuse or Rutgers. An even better scenario would involve adding Kansas, Nebraska and Missouri along with Texas and A&M to form a Big 10 superconference.

Wouldn’t this dilute the TV money pool for Texas and the legacy Big 10 universities? Perhaps, although one could argue that the national brands of Nebraska and Kansas in football and basketball, respectively, would only add to the marketing power of the new conference. But more importantly, Kansas and Nebraska have the kind of leaders, Bernadette Gray-Little and Harvey Perlman, that are Big 10 worthy and capable of taking full advantage of the R&D collaboration opportunities.

With $8 billion of R&D expenditures between seventeen universities (counting the University of Chicago), the new CIC could embark on a campaign to grow its collective market share of federal R&D investments in a manner that will make TV revenues a mere cherry on top of a very satisfying sundae. That, my friends, is how a university president can change the world as we know it. See those wheels turning inside Bill Powers’ mind?

Bottom Line Analysis

We are just a few minutes from being ejected from Powers’ mind and thrown into a roadside ditch, which is just enough time to test this hypothesis against the likely reactions of the major constituencies of The University’s president.

Athletics – Seriously, does Texas athletics want for anything? I guess we could always have a bigger scoreboard. More importantly, the Texas brand merits more than a simple add-on to the Big 10. By bringing along five west-of-the-Mississippi schools, Texas can preserve some of the regional rivalries (Nebraska in football, Kansas in basketball) and keep most of its travel in the western division of the new superconference.

For example, let’s say that the Big 10 West is comprised of Texas, A&M, Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois and Northwestern. All eight are in the central time zone. The football schedule has seven intra-division games every year, two inter-division games and three non-conference games. The two inter-division games would be rotated among the eight Big 10 East schools (Michigan, tOSU, Michigan State, Indiana, Purdue, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Penn State) such that you play every team once every four years. That’s one trip to Happy Valley, the Shoe and the Big House every eight years – not bad.

Assuming OU will want to keep its traditional date in Dallas, Texas could rotate its old Southwest Conference rivals Baylor, Rice, Texas Tech, SMU, Houston and TCU in its non-conference schedule to keep up its home-state presence. Such a schedule could look something like this…

Sept. 4 at Rice (Reliant Stadium)
Sept. 11 BAYLOR
Sept. 18 at Penn State
Sept. 25 MINNESOTA
Oct. 2 vs. Oklahoma (Dallas)
Oct. 16 at Nebraska
Oct. 23 IOWA
Oct. 30 KANSAS
Nov. 6 at Missouri
Nov. 13 NORTHWESTERN
Nov. 20 at Illinois
Nov. 25 TEXAS A&M

That’s eight games in the state of Texas – not bad.

Faculty – Bill Powers would have a statue commissioned from faculty funds and placed in a prominent place in the South Mall. For two decades, UT researchers have sought to compare their programs with the Michigans and Purdues and Northwesterns of academia. Inclusion in the CIC adds legitimacy and opens doors to collaborations that many times had been closed. When recruiting 4-star and 5-star faculty, Texas will be incrementally more competitive.

Alumni – Besides having the value of degrees earned decades ago increase overnight, who wouldn’t want to add an occasional trip to Michigan and Penn State into the rotation? Yes, we will all miss those roadtrips to Floyd Casey Stadium and the automatic W against Oklahoma State (no matter how bad the halftime score), but the positives outweigh the negatives as long as we can bring along A&M, and there are plenty of automatic W’s to be found in the Big 10.

Legislature – Texas Tech delegates won’t be happy, but look at the bright side…now they’ll have a fighting chance at a conference championship! Seriously, the state of Texas needs its two flagship universities competing with the R&D elites, and this move adds this important element in a manner that was completely missing from the Big 12 deal of a decade and a half ago.

Epilogue – What will become of the Big 12 Conference?

The Big 12 minus Texas, A&M, Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska and Colorado is a not-so-big six. I would expect Oklahoma to seek an invitation to join its perfect match, the SEC, along with its little brother, Oklahoma State. Upon their acceptance, the NCAA will place the entire SEC on double-secret probation and the SEC will retain a slight edge over the Big 10 with the size of its TV deal.

The remaining four – Texas Tech, Baylor, Kansas State and Iowa State will receive invitations from Conference USA, WAC, and Mountain West, and they will each strike their best deal. Feel a bit sorry for Iowa State, which is a decent research university but adds neither new TV sets nor new Senators to the expanded Big 10. If all four joined TCU and Utah in the Mountain West (but without PAC 10 bound BYU), there would be a push to recognize it as a BCS conference, perhaps under the Big 12 moniker.
JCoz

Unread postby jb » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:05 pm

Great pieve, J Coz. Thanks.

Looks the "The Crown" Jewel's" best intersts may be to step up their academic gameto the level of the besmercehd "rust belt". < chortle >
jb

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:13 pm

Thanks for posting the article, JCoz.

I work at UT, and that article is dead-nuts on.
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Unread postby pup » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:43 pm

Thanks for posting.

Just as an FYI though...the link with a couple of snips would be my preferred choice for posting something like this.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby jb » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:47 pm

Pup wrote:Thanks for posting.

Just as an FYI though...the link with a couple of snips would be my preferred choice for posting something like this.

Personally, I'd prefer selected snips from the piece with the parts JCoz is biased twoards highlighted in all the ROYGBIV colors and various fonts and sizes.

But that's just me.
jb

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:58 pm

JB wrote:

Personally, I'd prefer selected snips from the piece with the parts JCoz is biased twoards highlighted in all the ROYGBIV colors and various fonts and sizes.

But that's just me.

Noted. Next time I'll break out the scissors and highlighters.

I actually had to google ROYGBIV.
JCoz

Unread postby jb » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:02 pm

JCoz wrote:
JB wrote:

But that's just me.

WTF did they make you learn in primary school, J Coz?

How to use the internets?
jb

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:08 pm

JB wrote:
JCoz wrote:
JB wrote:

But that's just me.

WTF did they make you learn in primary school, J Coz?

How to use the internets?

I actually had to google primary school.
JCoz

Unread postby pod2dawg » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:36 pm

JCCoz- That dissertation was impressive. I'd love to see your take on grad rates vs. on the field success.

gracias!
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:03 pm

pod2dawg wrote:JCCoz- That dissertation was impressive. I'd love to see your take on grad rates vs. on the field success.

gracias!

Whoa there. I'd love to have written it, but I didn't. It was posted under "horninexile"

http://barkingcarnival.fantake.com/2010/02/15/being-bill-powers/

Glad you enjoyed it though.
JCoz

Unread postby pup » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:10 pm

JB wrote:

But that's just me.

:fu:

:group:
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Spin » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:51 am

The Big 12 was a poorly conceived conference to begin with and as I said earlier, I will shed no tears if it is disbanded. The only universities in the Big 12 that are located in major cities are UT (Austin) and Colorado (Boulder/Denver). Most other schools are in fairly small towns far away from population centers.

And that's different than the Big Ten HOW???
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby jb » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:13 pm

Spin wrote:
The Big 12 was a poorly conceived conference to begin with and as I said earlier, I will shed no tears if it is disbanded. The only universities in the Big 12 that are located in major cities are UT (Austin) and Colorado (Boulder/Denver). Most other schools are in fairly small towns far away from population centers.

And that's different than the Big Ten HOW???

U Minnesota is in the Twin Cities.

tOSU is in C-Bus

Northwestern is basically in Chicago

That is 3 literally withing major metro and media markets.

Others are but minutes from the major population center of their state.

Ann Arbor is less than an hour from the Detroit River; about 20 minutes from the western 'burbs.

Madison in 90 minutes from lake Michigan, about 30 minutes from the west 'burbs of Milwaukee

Even Urbana is about the distance from downtown Chicago that Canton is from downtown Cleveland. U I is listed as the first college team on Chicago ESPN's network for example, even ahead of NU in Evanston next door.

That means six of the 11 are located within the major media markets of Chicago, Columbus, Detroit, Milwaukee and Minneapolis-St Paul. Or 3, 11, 16 , 32 and 39 in MSA rankings. Not the Big east, which unfortunaletely has programs that have lukewarm fans. But not big 2 little 10 either.

E Lansing & Iowa City aren't big, but rest in less isolated areas than you think sitting in regions. Still, pretty small.

Bloomington, State College, W. Lafayette are the only true small college citis in the middle of nowhere.
jb

Unread postby dmiles » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:19 pm

Also you almost have throw the Cleveland Metro into the mix. Additionally I am not so sure how you avoid Pittsburgh/Philly, because I would venture a guess that those towns heavily watch PSU.

While OSU/PSU aren't directly located in the aforementioned towns, the size and influence of the program in those states, means effectively they can be counted. Especially with the all-important Big Ten Network selling seats, I am sure they push BTN on all the NE Ohio cable outlets.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:52 pm

PSU is the official state school the south half of New Jersey and Philly
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:10 pm

FWIW Dept.....via Twitter....

@NFLDraftBible

The big news out of Jersey today is Rutgers appears to be headed to the Big Ten...sounds inevitable at this point!
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby Triple-S » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:23 pm

"The thinking among those in touch with Big Ten officials is the conference likely will add at least three schools to end up with a 14- or 16-team league."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/co ... 2232.story

Do it!

Triple-S

Unread postby jordan kramer » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:47 pm

apparently we went from the big 10 adding to one more team to get a conference championship game, to now the big is expanding to like 37 teams?
"i've been gettin G-ed up since i came out the hospital as a baby. i didn't wear pampers, i wore some slacks and some gators on the way home."
"in order for us to grow u gotta know, in order to love the brotherman, u gotta know the otherman. because one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. knick knack paddy wack, give the dog a bone." - Delonte West

"i'm going to pull your endocrine system out of your body" - Gary Busey
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Who cares about this crap?

WE GOT A MUTHA FUCKIN EARTHQUAKE MACHINE!
jordan kramer

Favorite Player: brown eyed girls
Least Favorite Player: my girlfriend

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:50 am

wave bye-bye to the Big East, and watch the Big XII start to become SWC part 2.
# The Big Ten divisions:
Syra, Pitt, Rut., Penn St.
--Mich., Wisc., Mich. St., Mnn.
--Ohio St., Pur., IU, Ill./North.
--MU, Iowa, Neb., Ill./NU. about 23 hours ago via web

# Big Ten expansion buzz has league adding Mizzou, Nebraska, Pitt, Rutgers and Syracuse and splitting into four, four-team divisions

Screw it, add Notre Dame, Iowa St, West Virginia, and Cincy, might as well go for the whole shebang as well. so it'd look like this:

Schwartzwalder/Paterno Division
Sryacuse, Pitt, Rutgers, Penn State, West Virginia

Rockne/Schembechlar Division
Michigan, Michigan St, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Notre Dame

Hayes/Mollenkopf Division
TOSU, The Mighty Boilermakers of Purdue University, IU, Illinois, Cincy

Osbourne/Fry Division
Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska, Northwestern, Iowa St.

Make it "The Big 20".

Triple-S

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:10 pm

http://bit.ly/9cWSuE

good piece by Stewart Mandel in SI about BT expansion.

I favor the status quo, but that's the old guy in me, I guess. The conference seems to want to do this before their advantage (BTN and its unprecedented revenues)gets neutralized by other conferences following suit. Not a good enough reason from where I sit, but nobody asked me.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:38 pm

wiz1001 wrote:http://bit.ly/9cWSuE

good piece by Stewart Mandel in SI about BT expansion.

I favor the status quo, but that's the old guy in me, I guess.

As do I. I like it how it is.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon May 03, 2010 12:27 pm

http://www.wndu.com/ndfootball/headlines/92447574.html

A source in St. Louis familiar with the situation told NewsCenter 16 Thursday afternoon that Missouri will leave the Big XII and soon join the Big 10. Other schools expected to follow the Tigers are Syracuse, Pitt, Rutgers and Nebraska.

Many have speculated that such an expansion would include Notre Dame but ND athletic director Jack Swarbrick told me today that the Irish prefer to stay independent in football and in the Big East for other sports. Swarbrick said maintaining football Independence is such a part of what Notre Dame is.

He went on to say the Big East is a great partner for the University in other sports.

"We do have to monitor what is going on," Swarbrick said. "There will be significant shifts. "Hopefully we can navigate them by keeping our football independent and keeping our Big East affiliation because that is what we care about."

The move of Syracuse, Pitt and Rutgers to the Big Ten from the Big East could categorically change the landscape of the Big East itself. Thus, what Swarbrick is referring to when stating the University must continue to monitor what is going on.

The interview with Swarbrick was done before the late afternoon announcement.

Triple-S

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon May 03, 2010 12:31 pm

The thing is, if the expansion happens, Notre Dame would really be out of options.

I mean really, the Big East minus those members is a joke (not that it isn't already, at least when it comes to football) and would pretty much become some weird merger of Conf. USA schools.

Triple-S

Unread postby danwismar » Mon May 03, 2010 1:33 pm

http://bit.ly/atMoGI

Roundup of Big ten expansion links from Rittenberg at ESPN

There does seem to be some agreement lately that the league wants to go to 16 teams, and that the five to be added could be Missouri, Nebraska, Pitt, Rutgers and Syracuse

danwismar

PreviousNext

Return to College Sports Arena