Text Size

College Sports Arena

Big Stretch for CSU

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Big Stretch for CSU

Unread postby swerb » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:14 am

This week, CSU revisits the NCAA Tournament of sorts. Starting today (12/15), the Vikings face four straight teams that also Danced last March: home vs. Robert Morris (tonight @ 7 p.m.), home vs. #6 West Virginia (Saturday, 12/19 @ 2 p.m.), at #18 Ohio State (Tuesday, 12/22 @ 8:30 p.m.) and at #17 Kansas State (Tuesday, 12/29 @ 8 p.m.).

But it’s this Saturday’s Holiday Showdown against West Virginia has some added significance:

~Now at #6 in both AP and ESPN/USA Today polls, West Virginia is the highest ranked opponent ever to play Cleveland State in Cleveland. Highest ranked ever. Even the Fab Five Michigan team that opened CSU’s Convocation Center back in 1991 wasn’t this highly ranked (at #7).

~West Virginia’s last visit to the Wolstein Center came in the 2005 NCAA Tournament first- and second-round games hosted by CSU, when local sharpshooter Mike Gansey from Olmsted Falls led the Mountaineers to a thrilling double overtime win over Wake Forest (who must hate Cleveland for a lot of reasons by now) in the game voted ‘most exciting’ of that year’s tournament.

~WVU Coach Bob Huggins has plenty of Ohio ties and started his head coaching career at Walsh University in Canton, led Akron to its first NCAA Tournament appearance in 1986 and reestablished Cincinnati as a perennial college basketball power, leading the Bearcats to 14 straight NCAA Tournament appearances.

Good weekend to head downtown, support the Vikes, and see some good DI college hoops.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Big Stretch for CSU

Unread postby jack_tors » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:22 pm

I will be there for West Virginia, hoping for a miracle. They need to beat Morris tonight to be primed for the game. CSU is a young team and plays like one but they have a lot of talent and a lot of promise. Go Vikings!!
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Re: Big Stretch for CSU

Unread postby fundamentals » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:26 am

0-1 so far in this stretch of big games. Big run by Robert Morris in 2nd half doomed the Vikes.
Still exciting to see people wanting to watch these kids play. WVU will bring a good crowd and hopefully a good game will ensue.
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Return to College Sports Arena