Text Size

College Sports Arena

The U 30 for 30

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

The U 30 for 30

Unread postby Triple-S » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:27 pm

Anyone else see this?

Damn, I know I've skimped out on a few of these, but the ones I've seen of this series have been done very well. This was no different. Was interesting to see Schellenberger pretty much build a program from nothing and turn them into a powerhouse.

I wish ESPN would just make this just a permanent series, Simmons was a genius for thinking of it, I would love to see a piece on Browns fans battling back for the team in 1995 or something on McKinley/Massilion rivalry.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Re: The U 30 for 30

Unread postby Cease » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:46 am

Very good recap of the Hurricane Era. Of course our boy Bernie is all over the interviews.

They were such a polarizing team. On one hand, you love that they were bad ass Miami kids being brash and in your face on the field. The vibe they set down under Schnellenberger was all energy with street attitude.

In years after Schnell, the antics went so far over the top with the showboating and extra-curricular activity that it just got out of control. Totally unsportsmanlike and dirty on and off the field. The coaches could not get to them, at all. Nor did they try. Michael Irvin had the most poinient comment when he basically said that they guys played the role of the victim of the press and middle American prejudice- when actually they were just some really bad boys.

I only wish Schnellenberger would have stayed on to shape the psyche of the program a bit more before turning it over to Johnson. It's been an uphill battle ever since for the program in terms of perception.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:08 am

I remember that Cotton Bowl against Texas very well. That might be the biggest beat-down I've ever seen a good team take in any sport. "Awesome" is the best way I can describe it.

One thing I don't understand about the aftermath of that game, though, is how it was described as an "embarrassment" on Miami's part. Yeah, their antics got completely out of hand that day, but it was Texas that got manhandled in what was basically a home game; Texas that got beat 46-3 even with Miami giving them 200 yards in penalties; Texas that called out Miami and rolled over like dogs the first time they got punched in the mouth. That's embarrassing.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:48 am

Watched this last night. Nicely done. I remember all those teams. In fact I became interested in the U after reading an SI article after Jim Kelly beat Penn State.

It's good that they gave credit to Schnellenberger and his staff for creating "the state of Miami". Articles often credited Jimmy Johnson for that.

I remember watching the '84 NCG. I had school the next dayand had to finish a book for English Lit but found this game far too important. Kosar was right when he stated that the 'Huskers had never seen a pro style offense. It's still amazing to see the poise he played with that night.

The roll call of great players that played during that time period is something we may never see again.

Herm, how about Hill saying it wasn't his fault w/ the running up the tunnell and coming back with six shooters blazing. Cat had a laundry list of reasons why he was forced to do it.

The coaches could not get to them, at all. Nor did they try.

Hell, I guarantee JJ relished all the show boating and chest thumping. You know JJ loved the whole "the world is against us" aspect.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby Lubber » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:15 am

How come Michael Irvin does not age? he looks the same back then as he does now.
Lubber

Favorite Player: London Fletcher
Least Favorite Player: LeBron James

Unread postby DrPoove » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:56 am

Lubber wrote:How come Michael Irvin does not age? he looks the same back then as he does now.

"Cocaine is a powerful drug."

-Rick James
"What is understood need not be discussed."
-Loren Adams
DrPoove
Special Guest Referee

Favorite Player: Cleveland
Least Favorite Player: The Inbred

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:11 pm

Larvell Blanks wrote:Herm, how about Hill saying it wasn't his fault w/ the running up the tunnell and coming back with six shooters blazing. Cat had a laundry list of reasons why he was forced to do it.

Larvell, my sense was that Thrill Hill's tongue was firmly in-cheek when he made that statement.

Miami is definitely a mixed bag. On one hand you have the dancing, the cheap shots, the improprieties with Luther Campbell... on the other there's a brotherhood and an esprit-de-corps in that program that has to be respected. It is a family. It might be a bit of a dysfunctional family, but it's a family nonetheless.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:17 pm

HermanFontenot wrote:Larvell, my sense was that Thrill Hill's tongue was firmly in-cheek when he made that statement.

Miami is definitely a mixed bag. On one hand you have the dancing, the cheap shots, the improprieties with Luther Campbell... on the other there's a brotherhood and an esprit-de-corps in that program that has to be respected. It is a family. It might be a bit of a dysfunctional family, but it's a family nonetheless.

I definitley caught the tongue in cheek aspect of his statement, guess it didn't come out in my post.

That program seriously became a family, a family that was proud of what they had become. I was always impressed both at the time and at the viewing of this show, how the alumni would come back to reiterate to the players how important it was to carry on the tradition they were building. Especially after the loss to BYU. The players in no way wanted to deal with the coaching staff but I'm sure they were SCARED TO DEATH of the alumni coming back to... um...speak to them.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby Squints » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:34 pm

Loved the documentary. Remember those teams well, they seemed invincible, scary and they couldn't give a rat's ass what you thought about them. I can see where the Cotton Bowl celebrations could be described as excessive and where some people, especially the PR administrators could label it embarrassing. However, Texas's performance was more embarassing a that's the root cause.

Don't remember the first NC team with Bernie, but I recall the '86-'92 teams as the most dominant/sustained stretch of excellence in CFB that I have seen in my lifetime. Their losses were also epic due to the fact it rarely happened.- Penn State, the 2 loses in South Bend, Detmer's Heisman game- The U in Mormon country? and the George Teague strip game. Off the top of my head I can't remember any more. And all of those games are of the "Instant Classic" variety.

During those years of impressionable youth, with OSU being average, and a Catholic school alum, I started to root for Notre Dame with the Bucks (think SSS with OSU and Purdue ;-) ;) :wink: ) and my dad somehow scored tickets to the last UM ND game in South Bend, my first ever college football game (a KR by the Rocket sealed it). I still have my "Catholics v.s. Convicts" t shirt tucked away.

As far as the series goes. This one is my favorite, The Len Bias story was intense, but the other one I throughly enjoyed was the one about the USFL. SSS, you'll love it if you haven't seen it.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Return to College Sports Arena