Text Size

College Sports Arena

Witness something special

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Witness something special

Unread postby Spin » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:25 pm

This weekend a local team goes for the NCAA championship, and the way the team looks, it just might be a "perfect storm" where everyone and everything comes together. Unbeaten and untied in 23 games, a good percentage against ranked opponents. Seven goals allowed, just 1 in the post season.

Whether you like/appreciate soccer or not, this sporting event could be something special. You might want to keep ESPNU on your remote tonight.

What's the worst that could happen? You could watch a game with a rooting interest in one of the teams. Get into the strategies. Realize the skills needed to play at this level. And you may think soccer aint so bad afterall.

What's the best? The Zips lose, you guys can pile one, but we'll be back next year (most key players are frosh or sophs).

7:30 tonight on ESPNU
1:00 Sunday on ESPN2 (with any luck tonight)
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Re: Witness something special

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:48 pm

If Darth Vader couldn't force me to like soccer, nothing will.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:20 pm

Did someone say soccer?

Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Cease » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:00 pm

Spin wrote:This weekend a local team goes for the NCAA championship, and the way the team looks, it just might be a "perfect storm" where everyone and everything comes together. Unbeaten and untied in 23 games, a good percentage against ranked opponents. Seven goals allowed, just 1 in the post season.

Whether you like/appreciate soccer or not, this sporting event could be something special. You might want to keep ESPNU on your remote tonight.

What's the worst that could happen? You could watch a game with a rooting interest in one of the teams. Get into the strategies. Realize the skills needed to play at this level. And you may think soccer aint so bad afterall.

What's the best? The Zips lose, you guys can pile one, but we'll be back next year (most key players are frosh or sophs).

7:30 tonight on ESPNU
1:00 Sunday on ESPN2 (with any luck tonight)

Easily the most under appreciated sports story in NEO. Fully pulling for Akron and would love to see that school turn into a high-level soccer power for decades to come. Good luck to them.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:01 pm

Eh, what the hell, I'll give some love to Akron. Good luck, Zips.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby davemanddd » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:16 pm

Triple-S wrote:Did someone say soccer?

pfffft!!! made me spit moutain dew all over my screen and keyboard. thanx a lot. hee-hee!!! :lmfao:
dave . . .
davemanddd

Favorite Player: joe thomas
Least Favorite Player: lebron james

Unread postby furls » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:33 am

Ill be watching. Good luck to the Zips.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Spin » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:10 am

I grew up in a time there was one baseball game on TV every week, except for a couple Indians games, we saw three NFL games, a handful of college games, a few Cavs games now and then, and that was it. I caught "Soccer Made in Germany" on channel 25 I think it was, and started watching it every week. There was nobody there to tell me it sucked, or that it was boring, so I saw it for what it was. And while playing high school football, I tried playing in a church league and got absolutely smoked. I was spent. It gave me a real appreciation for what it takes to play that sport well.

To me, being in the finals is like the basketball team being in the finals. Or the baseball team in the finals in Omaha.

I know a lot of people on this board don't like soccer. And there's a LOT of sports I don't watch, but if someone local is about to do something big, I'll watch.
Spin

Unread postby Cease » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:34 pm

Replay of Akron - UNC on right now on the duece. 0-0 going to half. Don't tell me what happens!

Edited:

Zips v. Tar Heels went to penalties to determine winner. Video below, FF to 5:30 to see PK's.

Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby projectmayhem » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:22 pm

One of the kids from my high school team played for akron 2-3 years back, I've followed them ever since. Got kinda lucky in the final two minutes of the 2nd OT, but were able to come through on PKs... go zips!
projectmayhem

Favorite Player: Grady Sizemore
Least Favorite Player: Tim Tebow

Unread postby Spin » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:06 pm

Gametime!!!
Spin

Unread postby jfiling » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:53 pm

I watched the beginning and the last 5 minutes of regulation, both overtimes, and the penalty kicks. Tough loss for a team to not give up a single goal the whole tournament yet lose. I think it's wacky rules like that that turn Americans off of soccer as much as anything else.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby Spin » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:17 pm

I hate shootouts. They have nothing to do with the game. That's like deciding a tied baseball game with a home run derby.

Both teams deserved a win. It won't be our last trip, either. We're only losing one starter. And next time the boys will have big game experience, and their shots won't be as wild.
Spin

Unread postby Spin » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:02 am

BUT, in the Columbus BJ's game this weekend, they had a poll and most people preferred the shootout.

From what I'm reading this morning, soccer fans disagree.
Spin

Return to College Sports Arena