Text Size

College Sports Arena

Ex-Buckeye talks stopping Oregon's offense

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Ex-Buckeye talks stopping Oregon's offense

Unread postby rocknrolla » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:58 pm

http://harleyinthehuddle.blogspot.com/2009/12/oregons-spread-offense-can-anybody-stop.html

I thought ya'll might like this, it's a unique viewpoint from an ex-player that has played under the Ohio State coaching staff. It's a good technical breakdown of the spread and read option in simple terms.

I think the Buckeyes have a shot to beat Oregon b/c of their defense, but can they score enough points? Oregon is so versatile on offense it's going to be tough to put the clamps on 'em, hurting Masoli might be the only way!
rocknrolla

Favorite Player: Jim Tressel
Least Favorite Player: Tim Tebow

Re: Ex-Buckeye talks stopping Oregon's offense

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:23 pm

The 'Comments' section was actually more informative and beneficial than the article. The article itself was very basic. But thanks for posting. Breakneck pace and an innovative coach who's always thinking ahead is the main issue in this one. It's going to be interesting and fun to watch.

And the Buckeyes have to find a way to score some points so that the Sword of Damocles isn't hanging over their defensive heads on every Oregon possession. Masoli will put the ball on the ground or in the bellies of a couple Buckeye defenders at some point. Ohio State can't leave those opportunities on the vine.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby furls » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:22 pm

So, to paraphrase Harley, if the Buckeyes make plays (fumbles and ints) and cover each other's mistakes with hustle they have a chance at stopping Oregon's offense.

OSU has the secondary to match up outside, the question is will they run a scheme that prevents their LBs from making plays (man under, tampa 2, etc.). Will they go with a small, quick nickel to play it safe against the pass, or will they go with a bigger nickel to make the Ducks air it out. These are the interesting questions to me. I think the obvious strength of this team is the D-Line, but in this game there are some concerns as well. Gibson and Williams are terrors on the outside, but with their excellent ability to get up the field, they are kind of DEs that can get strung out too far by a read option offense. I love Heyward in this match up, he is a perfect blend of speed, gap coverage and ability for this particular style of offense.

I am going to be putting together a couple of articles in advance of this game to explain the read option offense. Most guys hear spread and assume they know the offense, the spread is just a formation. It comes in many flavors, it can be pass heavy like the 80's Houston Oilers or run oriented like WVU under Dick Rod.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:49 am

He is awful on Buckeye Football Fever. On the other hand, Demetrius Stanley is great.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:02 am

To be fair he has had henchmen dropping this blog all over the Scout network and more than one/many global bans have been handed out (as it is all just carefully crafted spam). Just some food for thought, as I have no clue if this guy is a part of the army of spammers, but the likelihood is certainly high.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby jb » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:32 pm

5 words.

Run Fast.

Hit their quarterback.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:16 pm

FTR: yeah, got confirmation that this is the exact same post that was dropped all over the Scout network, verbatim a few hundred times this week and is the fourth or fifth iteration of a single post be slammed allover said network.

Mevins (for those of you that have old BTNG/Bernies/OBR ties) has been doing most of the spamming for Harley and may actually be writing the blog in question, as it's general lack of content makes sense. I don't really care, but any Mevins spam is bad bad spam.

IOW: yeah, ignore this guy.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby jb » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:32 pm

Peeker643 wrote:The 'Comments' section was actually more informative and beneficial than the article. The article itself was very basic. But thanks for posting. Breakneck pace and an innovative coach who's always thinking ahead is the main issue in this one. It's going to be interesting and fun to watch.

And the Buckeyes have to find a way to score some points so that the Sword of Damocles isn't hanging over their defensive heads on every Oregon possession. Masoli will put the ball on the ground or in the bellies of a couple Buckeye defenders at some point. Ohio State can't leave those opportunities on the vine.

It's cool.

We'll maximize our punting opportunities. Most important play in football.

Hint from Helloise: Don't trim yor fingernails starting now. You'll need then to bite in 3 weeks.
jb

Unread postby jb » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:32 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:FTR: yeah, got confirmation that this is the exact same post that was dropped all over the Scout network, verbatim a few hundred times this week and is the fourth or fifth iteration of a single post be slammed allover said network.

Mevins (for those of you that have old BTNG/Bernies/OBR ties) has been doing most of the spamming for Harley and may actually be writing the blog in question, as it's general lack of content makes sense. I don't really care, but any Mevins spam is bad bad spam.

IOW: yeah, ignore this guy.

So this is not a Buckeye player?
jb

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:34 pm

Peeker643 wrote:The 'Comments' section was actually more informative and beneficial than the article. The article itself was very basic. But thanks for posting. Breakneck pace and an innovative coach who's always thinking ahead is the main issue in this one. It's going to be interesting and fun to watch.

I don't think the buckeyes have to find a way to score, per say. That almost sounds like a pat on the back of Oregon's D. I think we will score the ball plenty in Jan. Our identity has been carved out over the final 6 of the season. This is a team that runs the football, and lately, pretty damn well. Its the only thing the Oline does well, and one of the things that Oregon does not do well is stop the run.

Personally I think we own the trenches on both sides of the ball in this game, and I also think we shouldn't even think about putting the ball in the air until Oregon shows alot of consistancy stopping us.

200+ against Iowa and Penn St. I feel pretty good about getting 200+ in the Rose.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:47 pm

JCoz wrote:

I don't think the buckeyes have to find a way to score, per say. That almost sounds like a pat on the back of Oregon's D. I think we will score the ball plenty in Jan. Our identity has been carved out over the final 6 of the season. This is a team that runs the football, and lately, pretty damn well. Its the only thing the Oline does well, and one of the things that Oregon does not do well is stop the run.

Personally I think we own the trenches on both sides of the ball in this game, and I also think we shouldn't even think about putting the ball in the air until Oregon shows alot of consistancy stopping us.

200+ against Iowa and Penn St. I feel pretty good about getting 200+ in the Rose.

No. That wasn't the intent anyway. It means they need to run the ball effectively and take advantage of any Oregon errors. I'm not comfortable with Pryor playing catchup or rallying the troops down two scores in the second half.

No more, no less.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:23 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
JCoz wrote:

No. That wasn't the intent anyway. It means they need to run the ball effectively and take advantage of any Oregon errors. I'm not comfortable with Pryor playing catchup or rallying the troops down two scores in the second half.

No more, no less.

I got your point about the TO opportunities, I agree.

I thought the line "have to find a way to score" sounded a bit timid or uncertain. I just meant I think the way to score is already written in stone for the buckeyes, run the ball. Its what the offense does best and it keeps the Oregon offense off the field. These guys are not world beaters on defense.

No one should feel comfortable with Pryor or the buckeyes playing catchup, but that isn't all on TP. The fucking tackles couldn't passblock a paper bag all season let alone real live DE's.... this being a rushing team, playing catchup really isn't in thier bag of tricks.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby rocknrolla » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:58 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Mevins (for those of you that have old BTNG/Bernies/OBR ties) has been doing most of the spamming for Harley and may actually be writing the blog in question, as it's general lack of content makes sense.

the article was only supposed to be a simple explanation of the spread, it was in response to being asked for a "simple man's" dissection by Buckeye Blog b/c they got an article that was way too x's and o's
rocknrolla

Favorite Player: Jim Tressel
Least Favorite Player: Tim Tebow

Return to College Sports Arena