Text Size

College Sports Arena

N.C.A.A. Scrutiny Seen on Tennessee’s Recruiting

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

N.C.A.A. Scrutiny Seen on Tennessee’s Recruiting

Unread postby WarAdmiral » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:59 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/09/sports/ncaafootball/09tennessee.html?_r=1

"The N.C.A.A. is conducting a wide-ranging investigation into the University of Tennessee’s football recruiting practices, according to interviews with several prospects, their family members and high school administrators. A significant part of the investigation is focused on the use of recruiting hostesses who have become folk heroes on Tennessee Internet message boards for their ability to help lure top recruits."

1. I find it interesting that message board activity may have played a part in this investigation. I have said for awhile that the huge boards do effect college programs, and usually it is a negative effect.

2. It seems that the major area of interest is the issue of hostesses visiting the recruits hometown. Is it safe to say, that female hostesses providing incall services as exceptable (or overlooked), but providing outcall services is a violation, or at least enough to warrant investigation? I know for a fact UK provided Sam Bowie with a key to a hotel room during his senior year of high school back in the day, but he had to provide his own company, at least by what I know. They were never investigated for this, but I am certain these kind of perks are provided, be it a booster or God knows who, but Tennessee may have hit a nerve with their brashness or lack of control over these type of benefits being offered.

Tennessee fans are going to be missing Fat Phil, if this train isn't put back on the track soon.
WarAdmiral

Re: N.C.A.A. Scrutiny Seen on Tennessee’s Recruiting

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:31 am

I'm guessing the only person here happier about this than I am is you.

Kiffen also lost two of his better recruiters within the past week and Orgeron is being linked to multiple openings around the country. It's just a matter of time.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby aoxo1 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:16 pm

Interest was aroused when photos of the hostesses leaked
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby fabs227 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:59 pm

This shouldn’t be a shock to anyone who has been paying attention since DAY 1. Lane Kiffin is a loose cannon who thinks the rules don’t apply to him. If he is not careful it won’t matter how good of a recruiter he may be or his, “friends of the program” are. The pressure will be on to fire him or the sanctions will be so heavy, going bowling will mean at the ally instead of at a bowl game.
fabs227

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jb » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:34 pm

With apologies to the good egg that Volunteer Brownie is, I hope they flush Kiffin to football hell.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Return to College Sports Arena