Text Size

College Sports Arena

Bowl Season

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Bowl Season

Unread postby Ziner » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:05 pm

Nice work, way to screw it up again CFB. Boise vs. TCU. Of course if you split them up and they both beat BCS conference opponents the screams are going to get even louder for a playoff.

Conspiracy by the BCS bowls?
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Re: Bowl Season

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:36 pm

Here's the full schedule, minus the TBD Bowls.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/conte ... ID=1025450

Only real exciting matchups outside the BCS Bowls are Nebraska-Arizona and PSU-LSU.

I'd have rather seen TCU-Florida and Cincinnati-Boise St. for sure, after having my mind changed in the other thread. Maybe Boise-Florida and Cincy-TCU. But still, having them play each other, as said in the other thread and here by you, Z, solves nothing.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby bac5665 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:59 pm

All it means it that I don't have to watch the fiesta bowl this year.

Looks like the BCS cares more about protecting its credibility than putting on good football games.
bac5665

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby Toxicadam » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:04 pm

Fuck the BCS. What a joke.

How does the best sport in the world have the absolute worst resolution? It's maddening.
Toxicadam

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:36 pm

Pitting them against each other in a BCS bowl was the equivalent of handing them hush money.

Go sit at the little Thanksgiving table kiddies. The place settings are nice and you'll be well fed, but sit down there, shut up and enjoy your day in the sun together.

I agree. It blows.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:26 am

I'm with Ziner and Tripods on this one...they picked the worst of the three possibilities with those four teams. It is a kind of slap at both the party-crashers, and makes the whole BCS show less compelling and interesting.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby jack_tors » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:23 pm

I am torn on the whole TCF vs Boise game. While it might be the best game of the whole bunch, I agree it would have been nice to see those two team take on the established big guys. However, I doubt anyone really wanted a piece of those two teams.

Plus, Florida was destine to play Cincinnati as its the best chance for them to win. Does anyone really believe that Tebow in his last college game, coming off an SEC Championship loss, is going to drop a BCS bowl game and end his career on 2 losses? No freakin way..

Perhaps Cincy makes a game of it but I think they are the sacrificial lambs so we can watch Timmy cry on the sideline while he spouts off biblical verses, and we listen to the announcers talk about the supposed "Greatest College QB Ever." I think I will probably skip this game..
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:51 pm

jack_tors wrote:I am torn on the whole TCF vs Boise game.

We do have a lot of former athletes on here, but I dont think we can hang. :nanner:
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby jack_tors » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:25 pm

Ziner wrote:
jack_tors wrote:I am torn on the whole TCF vs Boise game.

We do have a lot of former athletes on here, but I dont think we can hang. :nanner:

Nice! Didnt even realize I did that.. Freudian slip I guess.
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:17 pm

Seriously- is TCU/Iowa or TCU/Georgia Tech or Boise State/Iowa really any more compelling than TCU/Boise State?
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:45 pm

HermanFontenot wrote:Seriously- is TCU/Iowa or TCU/Georgia Tech or Boise State/Iowa really any more compelling than TCU/Boise State?

Depends, is this the pre-BCS system where either one of those has to win that game in order to impress votes in the coaches or ap poll as to who's Nat'l champions?

Really, with the exception of the Rose Bowl, none of the BCS matchups excite me, and quite frankly the system is designed to hose over the small school. It in fact pisses me off that a lot of the anchors were trying to build them up as "exciting".
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:48 pm

Triple-S wrote:Really, with the exception of the Rose Bowl, none of the BCS matchups excite me, and quite frankly the system is designed to hose over the small school.

"The system" is the only reason TCU and Boise even have a chance to play in these games. Under the old system Boise would be in the MPC Computers Bowl and TCU would be in the Vegas Bowl. Just saying.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:51 pm

HermanFontenot wrote:Seriously- is TCU/Iowa or TCU/Georgia Tech or Boise State/Iowa really any more compelling than TCU/Boise State?

Why not TCU or Boise St/Florida Boise St or TCU/Cincy ??

Conference obligations to specific bowls? You know the system better than I do. I'm honestly asking.

"The system" is the only reason TCU and Boise even have a chance to play in these games. Under the old system Boise would be in the MPC Computers Bowl and TCU would be in the Vegas Bowl. Just saying.

Then keep them there and don't half-ass it. This is an all-in or fold situation in my mind. They're good enough or they're not and the way they did it screams "compromise" to me.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:10 pm

Peeker643 wrote:Why not TCU or Boise St/Florida Boise St or TCU/Cincy ??

Conference obligations to specific bowls? You know the system better than I do. I'm honestly asking.

Well, the Rose Bowl is locked in. Sugar was bound to take Florida. Orange is locked into Georgia Tech. That leaves four slots for Cincinnati, TCU, Boise and Iowa. The Orange doesn't want Cincinnati, TCU or Boise, not after their ratings disaster from last year. Fiesta has the first selection this year, they took TCU. Orange got the second pick, they took Iowa. Sugar was third, they took Cincinnati, and that left the Fiesta with Boise. It just kind of worked out that way.

Problem with this year was that there was a shortage of big-time elite schools in the field. No USC, no Oklahoma. There just weren't all that many compelling matchups to be had, no matter how you scramble them up.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:15 pm

HermanFontenot wrote:
Triple-S wrote:Really, with the exception of the Rose Bowl, none of the BCS matchups excite me, and quite frankly the system is designed to hose over the small school.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_NCAA_ ... all_season

Yeah, but at the very least, if they did look good enough, they would have a chance at getting some votes to be crowned National Champions. Sure they'd play in a crap bowl game, but if they were to pound on their opponents, then it could be argued they'd have a chance at it.

FTR, I fully support the 16 team proposed "Lamovsky" plan, and have one drawn up, if anyone would like to see it?
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby furls » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:06 pm

Kind of a lackluster bowl line up this year. I am looking forward to OSU vs. Oregon of course and PSU vs. LSU and 'Bama vs. UT, but the rest of it is kind of..... eh.

BSU vs. TCU is like any other WAC/MWC game that I am sort of interested in, as opposed to a couple of blockbusters that could have been very interesting. TCU vs. GT anyone? or how about Florida vs. BSU? I am also very surprised that the Orange bowl took Iowa over PSU. I really thought that they would have gone with the more "Brand Name" PSU. I would have, simply for the ratings.

Again, the Big 10 has a tough draw and they are going to take some lumps in this post season. I don't think there is a conference out there with a tougher bowl schedule.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:19 pm

Furls wrote:I am also very surprised that the Orange bowl took Iowa over PSU. I really thought that they would have gone with the more "Brand Name" PSU. I would have, simply for the ratings.

I don't think Penn State has anything over Iowa when it comes to fans actually coming out to the game. The Hawkeyes should bring 30,000-40,000 strong to Miami. Remember, there were a ton of Iowa fans at the OB the last time they played in that game, in '03 against USC.

That and Iowa just has a much stronger argument than Penn State. Beat the Nittanys head-to-head and own a far more impressive overall resume besides.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Unread postby furls » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:18 pm

We both know that resumes have little to do with it. I agree, Iowa does travel well. Iowa and PSU will both support the bowl venues, I would have thought the tie breaker would have been television ratings. No question, PSU is a better TV draw. Maybe, just once, the bowl fat cats just couldn't get over the head to head loss, it is actually somewhat refreshing.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:27 am

Furls wrote:We both know that resumes have little to do with it.

In most cases, yeah, but I would think that the difference between Iowa and PSU is so slim that head-to-head and body of work can be legit tipping points. Iowa's resume really is a lot stronger.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Return to College Sports Arena