Text Size

College Sports Arena

Late observations

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Late observations

Unread postby furls » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:22 pm

Sorry for this being so late, I am sure that a lot of these topics have been hashed out ad nauseum, but I thought I would at least toss out my observations of the Buckeyes season.

I have had a chance to watch several games to date, PSU, Minn, scUM, Purdue, and USC. I can tell you that this is the worst OSU offense that I have seen since.... Bellisari? There is no continuity, no real system, no confines. It kind of reminds me of watching a 3 year old with a remote control. Tress is just mashing buttons trying to find something that works. He obviously does not trust Pryor's arm, and for pretty good reason. Pryor is just not that accurate, most balls are overthrown/underthrown or are just flat out late. I really think that they should move to a read option or consider a new QB if they are not going to actually throw the ball and use the whole field, offense is just hard when the defense really only has to cover 1/3-1/2 of the field. I would like to see Pryor throw more on the run outside the pocket with the option to tuck and run, more like Troy Smith. Everytime you see OSU line up with two TEs you should want to poke your eyes out, all they are doing is compressing the field and negating Pryor's superior agility/speed.

Pryor is not throwing the ball (by choice or design) in the middle of the field, leaving him to throw primarily the most difficult routes/passes (deep outs, fades, z out, crossing routes, etc.). This allows the defenders to continue to play the run at the line with a cover 1/cover 0. Complicating matters.... the offensive line is just not that good. They are ordinary at best. Mike Brewster has a great future, but for right now he is just a sophomore and the rest of the line, save Boren, is just average. They are nowhere near good enough to just inflict their will on opposing defenses like OSU lines of the past.

That is the bad stuff. The good stuff...
Devier Posey looks as good as advertised. Jordan Hall looks great, and I really had no expectations for that kid, lots of intangiebles. Brandon Saine looks like he is ready to lead this team into next season. More later
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Return to College Sports Arena