Text Size

College Sports Arena

Shocking! Charlie Weis fired

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Shocking! Charlie Weis fired

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:30 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4700891

As a ND fan I'd really like to see Brian Kelly. Sure hope they don't screw this up. I know a lot of OSU fans dont give two shits about ND, but I figure there are some ND fans who do. A lot of people like to hate on ND, and while I get the fact people get irritated with their constant EDIT: exposure, their graduations rates have to be respected. As well as all the other schools who actually have student athletes.
Last edited by Ziner on Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Re: Shocking! Charlie Weis fired

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:35 pm

Ziner wrote:A lot of people like to hate on ND, and while I get the fact people get irritated with their constant composure, their graduations rates have to be respected.

How composed do you think Charlie is right now?
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:37 pm

CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! wrote:
Ziner wrote:A lot of people like to hate on ND, and while I get the fact people get irritated with their constant composure, their graduations rates have to be respected.

How composed do you think Charlie is right now?

haha, fixed it. Thats what I get for doing two things at once and not proofreading
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby fundamentals » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:58 pm

No surprise, just cannot believe the ND admins. believe that ridding themselves of Weis is the answer. Weis actually, given the parameters of his ability to do so, recruited well. They are now on the hook for his contract and for the next guy. Two guys would come to mind, Kelly and the guy at Northwestern, in that order. Wouldn't surprise me to see Chuckie Gruden involved in the discussion before it's over but..............when you are handcuffed as to who you can bring in, most "top tier" guys aren't biting on it, no matter the Benjamins offered.
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby pup » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:00 pm

Butch Davis?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:18 pm

I'm hoping they take Urban Meyer....Auctually more like praying...

Please dear god.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:02 pm

Forde: Good hire can reverse Irish's course

Other Pat Forde columns:
- A lottery win can stop foreclosure
- Patching the roof with paper can stop leaks
- Believing in Santa Claus can bring an XBox this Christmas
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:13 pm

How long before Randy Lerner is bowled over by Charlie in an interview?
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby fundamentals » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:23 am

Pup wrote:Butch Davis?

Pup, you may have hit the home run on this one.
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Unread postby pup » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:11 am

fundamentals wrote:
Pup wrote:Butch Davis?

Pup, you may have hit the home run on this one.

Makes sense. He has rebuilt a premier program before. He has a name the DomerNation can get behind.

And a name that might keep some of the recruits that are in decommit stage now. As good as I think Brian Kelly is, nobody is going to not bail to play for him. He will have to show it on the big stage, which Butch has done.

I like Butch Davis, but if I am ND, I say screw the commitments this year that may walk and take Kelly.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby fundamentals » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:24 am

Listened to Chicago radio station for a little while last night, and it would appear they want to get someone hired within the next 10 days. "Short list" included, according to the radio hosts were Stoops, Davis and Kelly.

fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Unread postby pup » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:37 am

Any chance Kelly has asked them to wait until Sunday? Wants to see if maybe Texas chokes and there is the possibility that his Bearcats sneak into a NC game? If they make the NC game he stays. If Texas wins and UC is locked out he goes?

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby fundamentals » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:54 am

Pup wrote:Any chance Kelly has asked them to wait until Sunday? Wants to see if maybe Texas chokes and there is the possibility that his Bearcats sneak into a NC game? If they make the NC game he stays. If Texas wins and UC is locked out he goes?

Given the "10 day period" that was mentioned about eight times in an about an hour, I would think it must have something to do with Kelly's situation. Can't remember the guys running the show, but one was adamant that Bob Stoops will be given first crack at the job. Forgot one other guy they mentioned, Kirk Ferentz, seen as a "fallback" if the top two guys go by the wayside.

fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Unread postby fairvis » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:06 pm

Got a wild-card for you guys... Skip Holtz.

He's been up-and-coming at ECU and has been in the talks for moving up to a SEC/ACC school (on the short list for UVA, apparently).

I've got it as Kelly as the front-runner after ND takes flyers at Gruden, Billick, and Stoops. Butch Davis is a strong possibility as well- he's made UNC not terrible, and may want to get back into a football factory. We all know his recruiting ability...
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby pup » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:22 pm

If Notre Dame hires Skip Holtz, I will eat my laptop.

Not really. But really, no way they hire Skippy.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:23 pm

Fuck ND and fuck whoever takes over coaching those cock gobblers.

That is all.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby BSchultz17 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:44 pm

http://www.ndnation.com/blog/2009/12/no ... s-and.html

This article pretty much says the same things that have already been said, but some of the comments at the end of the article bring up some interesting names. Of course there are the Stoops, Meyer, Kelley references, but the one that caught my eye was Tommy Tuberville. Also, I was out having a pop last night and sat down next to a gentleman who played football at Alabama about 20 years ago. He brought up a good point about Meyer possibly going to ND. I am a Notre Dame fan, but I am not drunk on the kool aid that some fans are and think Meyer would even consider the ND job. But this guy said he is certain that Meyer is the next ND coach. His points: Meyer has Notre Dame ties and history, he's from the midwest, his wife hates Gainsville, Tim Tebow is graduating, player discipline issues, and recruiting aginst SEC schools. All good reasons that might make ND appealing to him. Bob Stoops is a midwest guy who might be ready for a new challenge after some disappointing seasons in Norman. At the end of the day, though, I think Brian Kelley is the next head coach in South Bend.
The definition of insanity- doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
BSchultz17

Favorite Player: Youngstown, Ohio
Least Favorite Player: Pittsburgh, PA

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:38 pm

I wish they could somehow rehire Lou Holtz, somebody somehow has to keep that guy from spitting all over my $700 TV.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Ziner » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:31 pm

BSchultz17 wrote: his wife hates Gainsville

I have never been to Gainesville, but I have been to South Bend, I cant imagine it being much worse.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:38 pm

Ziner wrote:
BSchultz17 wrote: his wife hates Gainsville

I have never been to Gainesville, but I have been to South Bend, I cant imagine it being much worse.

South Bend isn't bad, Notre Dame auctually is pretty nice campus wise, though I am sort of biased as my family does come from the Northwest Indiana area.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:37 pm

Sounds like it is pretty much official

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4732205

Kelly to the Irish.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:40 pm

Feel bad for Kelly (from a football fans standpoint, I know he's making a ton of dough)

Gurantee he would have more success beating up on Big East programs and has more of a shot at going to National Championship than going to Notre Dame, which lets face it, pretty much suffers from the same probelm that Northwestern does in only having a good team every 4 years.

Triple-S

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:51 pm

Triple-S wrote:Feel bad for Kelly (from a football fans standpoint, I know he's making a ton of dough)

Gurantee he would have more success beating up on Big East programs and has more of a shot at going to National Championship than going to Notre Dame, which lets face it, pretty much suffers from the same probelm that Northwestern does in only having a good team every 4 years.

That isn't a product of the institution, IMO. The right coach can reload there, not rebuild. They have recruited better than everyone not named Saban or Carroll for the last 3-4 years. They have loosened the admissions. That is not the issue.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby aoxo1 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:11 pm

Gainesville is decent. Not great for a college town, but certainly better than a place like South Bend.

Major problem is that it is kind of sprawling compared to the idyllic college town (at least in my mind). Students pretty much need to drive to get to a lot of the bars, which is a huge problem.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:24 pm

aoxo1 wrote:Gainesville is decent. Not great for a college town, but certainly better than a place like South Bend.

Major problem is that it is kind of sprawling compared to the idyllic college town (at least in my mind). Students pretty much need to drive to get to a lot of the bars, which is a huge problem.

They dont have a bus system or anything, even Case had that, at least to get you to Coventry and such.

I think Kelly's tenure is going to come down to getting top defensive recruits. JCoz is right, they havent had a problem getting top 15 recruiting classes, Charlie just only seemed able to coach up the offense. Hopefully Kelly will have better success.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby aoxo1 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:06 pm

Ziner wrote:
aoxo1 wrote:Gainesville is decent. Not great for a college town, but certainly better than a place like South Bend.

They dont have a bus system or anything, even Case had that, at least to get you to Coventry and such.

I think Kelly's tenure is going to come down to getting top defensive recruits. JCoz is right, they havent had a problem getting top 15 recruiting classes, Charlie just only seemed able to coach up the offense. Hopefully Kelly will have better success.

There's a bus system but the service is poor because the town is too spread out and the drunk bus doesn't run late or often enough.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:35 am

Triple-S wrote:Feel bad for Kelly (from a football fans standpoint, I know he's making a ton of dough)

If Kelly has the same success at ND as he had at UC then they won't think twice about sending ND to the National Championship game. ND at/near the top of the rankings= ratings, ratings, ratings.

Sucks for UC as they won't have their coach there for the game against Fla. How are they going to respond and play? How many recruits that wanted to play for him will now follow him to South Bend. (provided their academically eligible) Is UC going to hit the mark and go 3 for 3 in getting another up and coming coach to lead them?
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Return to College Sports Arena