Text Size

College Sports Arena

Tebow the greatest player ever?

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Tebow the greatest player ever?

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:48 pm

I'm curious, the knob slobbering that CBS has been doing of him (you would think they were wearing Tebow jerseys underneath their suit and ties, shame on you especially Danielson, you kicked ass as a backup with the Browns you're better than this).

So I'm curious, who do you consider the greatest players to ever don a jersey in college?
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Re: Tebow the greatest player ever?

Unread postby Lubber » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:21 pm

In this day of thuggery, arrests, theives, etc, Tebow deserves all the praise he gets as he is not only great on the field, but also does more off the field in a year than most collegians of his talent level will do in their lives.

If he wins, the title this year and Heismann, you have to put him at #1 for accomplishments, and what he has done on the field.

Here is my Top 5 aside from Tebow in no particular order:

Jim Brown
Ernie Davis
Tony Dorsett
Hershel Walker
Doug Flutie
Lubber

Favorite Player: London Fletcher
Least Favorite Player: LeBron James

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:26 pm

I'm not qualified to answer. Only 125 years or so of history times thousands of great players.......

Start with Grange, Thorpe, Sammy Baugh, those Army cats from the 4 Horsemen. Recently? I don't think you'll ever see a more dominat back then Herschel Walker? Unless it's Bo Jackson. Or Archie Griffin. Or Tony Dorsett.

Dude, you do realize that college football started before 1985, don't you?

A better question is where does Tebow fit in the all timers, not is he at the top of the list.

I think TT, - from a value standpoint to Florida, was their MVP for the past 3 years. I want to vomit every time the media jumps on his cock, but the reality is the kid has been the face of that extremely successful program for a while now and he has produced, over and over and over. That said, it's UF, one of the best teams in the greatest conference in the history of football - THE SEC. So I'll throw all of that SEC fan crap right back at them and say TT was a great leader, has a great heart, displays an unbelieveable amount of toughness and moxie. And he was a really average QB on a some very very good teams.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:06 pm

I put Tebow as a poor man's Drew Brees sorrounded by bigger faster talent. And I don't mean that as slam against Tebow, as Brees was a BEAST in CFB.

Meyer himself even admitted that he pretty got his whole playbook from 2000 season in the Big Ten when N'Western and Purdue knocked off the Big boys of the conference in TOSU and Meatchicken, you take that to the SEC and the big and fast athletes out of the sunshine state it's an easy recipe for success, add the fact that the weather is usually nice, the decline of The "U" and the Noles (the Gators USED to be 2nd fiddle to those two in that state) as rivals for first dibs on the state's talent and you have an easy shot at consistantly being a good program.

Tebow's a good athlete and a great human being, but the praise of him is annoying, it's sort of similiar to how ESPN used to heaps tons of praise on JJ Reddick and Tyler Hansbourough, both of them are great players in college, but the mention of them every chance you can get on any given telecast is annoying. Why not give props to other atheletes doing well right now, instead of devoting entire telecasts of talking about how great a person Tebow is.

As for my personal favorite in the great college player of all time, I'm going to go with an absolute homer pick with Rod Woodson. Woodson played on a terrible Purdue team and yet was able to keep them competitive and was amazing his 4 years there.

He made all-american in '85 and '86, was three-time All-Big Ten, by the time he left Purdue he held 13 individual records.

His preformance against IU is something my dad STILL talks about and still holds him highly.

In his final collegiate game, Woodson gained over 150 of combined rushing and receiving yards, in addition to making ten tackles and forcing a fumble, leading Purdue to a victory over arch-rival Indiana.

My dad also said that the forced fumble was off a blocked kick that would have won the game for IU. I'm frankly more impressed with someone like this over someone like Tebow who is sorrounded by 5 Star talent.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby leadpipe » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:07 pm

mattvan1 wrote:I'm not qualified to answer. Only 125 years or so of history times thousands of great players.......

Start with Grange, Thorpe, Sammy Baugh, those Army cats from the 4 Horsemen. Recently? I don't think you'll ever see a more dominat back then Herschel Walker? Unless it's Bo Jackson. Or Archie Griffin. Or Tony Dorsett.

A better question is where does Tebow fit in the all timers, not is he at the top of the list.

I think TT, - from a value standpoint to Florida, was their MVP for the past 3 years. I want to vomit every time the media jumps on his cock, but the reality is the kid has been the face of that extremely successful program for a while now and he has produced, over and over and over. That said, it's UF, one of the best teams in the greatest conference in the history of football - THE SEC. So I'll throw all of that SEC fan crap right back at them and say TT was a great leader, has a great heart, displays an unbelieveable amount of toughness and moxie. And he was a really average QB on a some very very good teams.

But at times HE carried the very good team.

Last year's SEC championship game, which turned out to be the championship game, minus Harvin.....

You can't say anyone is number one, but the guy's in the handful of the greatest players ever.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby leadpipe » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:08 pm

And, Christ, of course he's better than a poor man's Drew Brees.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Lubber » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:15 pm

Triple-S wrote:Meyer himself even admitted that he pretty got his whole playbook from 2000 season in the Big Ten when N'Western and Purdue knocked off the Big boys of the conference in TOSU and Meatchicken, you take that to the SEC and the big and fast athletes out of the sunshine state it's an easy recipe for success, add the fact that the weather is usually nice, the decline of The "U" and the Noles (the Gators USED to be 2nd fiddle to those two in that state) as rivals for first dibs on the state's talent and you have an easy shot at consistantly being a good program.

Tebow's a good athlete and a great human being, but the praise of him is annoying, it's sort of similiar to how ESPN used to heaps tons of praise on JJ Reddick and Tyler Hansbourough, both of them are great players in college, but the mention of them every chance you can get on any given telecast is annoying. Why not give props to other atheletes doing well right now, instead of devoting entire telecasts of talking about how great a person Tebow is.

This just in, he is a Heisman trophy winning QB on the #1 team in the land who has almost all the major QB career records for the SEC. Umm... one would think ESPN would be talking about him instead of some middle of the road Purdue team.
Lubber

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:16 pm

Lead Pipe wrote:And, Christ, of course he's better than a poor man's Drew Brees.

Brees had a cannon for an arm and was just simply amazing at Purdue, dude had it and it carried on to the pros, he's also probably my favorite college athlete to have seen live. I don't mean that as a slam on Tebow what-so-ever, but I'd have to rate Brees better than him. ANYONE can lead Florida to a Nat'l title game, ask Danny Wuerfel and Chris Leak, but it takes a truly great QB to lead a team like Purdue to a Rose Bowl and victories over TOSU and Meatchicken in that same very year.

Triple-S

Unread postby Lubber » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:33 pm

Triple-S wrote:
Lead Pipe wrote:And, Christ, of course he's better than a poor man's Drew Brees.

Brees had a cannon for an arm and was just simply amazing at Purdue, dude had it and it carried on to the pros, he's also probably my favorite college athlete to have seen live. I don't mean that as a slam on Tebow what-so-ever, but I'd have to rate Brees better than him. ANYONE can lead Florida to a Nat'l title game, ask Danny Wuerfel and Chris Leak, but it takes a truly great QB to lead a team like Purdue to a Rose Bowl and victories over TOSU and Meatchicken in that same very year.

The PROS have nothing to do with this. We are talking college football. So beating OSU and Michigan is the pinnacle of a college football season and we should overlook the 4 losses Brees encountered that year?
Lubber

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:38 pm

Lead Pipe wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:I'm not qualified to answer. Only 125 years or so of history times thousands of great players.......

But at times HE carried the very good team.

Last year's SEC championship game, which turned out to be the championship game, minus Harvin.....

You can't say anyone is number one, but the guy's in the handful of the greatest players ever.

Indeed, Lead. He is way better than most (including me) want to admit. Channeling Bum Phillips - "He may not be at the top of his class, but it don't take long to call roll."
mattvan1

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:43 pm

Lubber wrote:The PROS have nothing to do with this. We are talking college football. So beating OSU and Michigan is the pinnacle of a college football season and we should overlook the 4 losses Brees encountered that year?

I wasn't talking PROS dude, I was talking about his time AT Purdue.

Brees graduated from Purdue University with a degree in Industrial Management. He joined the Sigma Chi fraternity while attending and left Purdue with Big Ten Conference records in passing yards (11,792), touchdown passes (90), total offensive yards (12,693), completions (1,026), and attempts (1,678). He also led the Boilermakers to the 2001 Rose Bowl, Purdue's first appearance in Pasadena since 1967. Brees was a finalist for the Davey O'Brien Award as the nation's best quarterback in 1999. Brees won the Maxwell Award as the nation's outstanding player of 2000 and won the NCAA's Today's Top VIII Award as a member of the Class of 2001. Brees was also fourth in Heisman Trophy voting in 1999 and 3rd in 2000.

In Brees' sophomore season, Brees led the team on an 80 yard drive with 1:25 left in the 1998 Builders Square Alamo Bowl versus #4 ranked Kansas State, capping it off with a 25 yard touchdown pass to senior WR Ike Jones with :45 seconds left in regulation. The win was significant in that it is only one of two times an unranked team has upset a Top 5 ranked team in a bowl game, the other being the 1984 Rose Bowl, in which UCLA, led by future college head coach Rick Neuheisel at quarterback, engineered a 45-10 upset of #3 ranked Illinois. He also appeared on the cover of the Sega Sports NCAA College Football 2K2 for the Dreamcast.

As a senior Brees was named the Academic All-America Player of Year, the first Purdue Boilermaker since Bruce Brineman (1989) to earn national academic honors. Brees also was awarded for his humble and productive attitude when he was the recipient of Purdue’s Leonard Wilson Award for unselfishness and dedication. Additionally, Brees guided the Boilermakers to their first Rose Bowl appearance in over a quarter-century. Brees locked up the bowl berth by leading Purdue to a hard-earned October victory over Ohio State, capping the Big Ten battle with a 64 yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Seth Morales, a walk-on transfer from Butler University. Replays of the scoring pass show that Brees had the rare discipline to go through his receivers to the fourth option on the play. He also holds the record for the longest pass in NCAA history (99 yards).

For Brees to lead Purdue to two new years days bowls, an upset win over a top 5 K-State team that should have been playing for a Nat'l title, a Big Ten title and to be a two time finalst for the Heisman twice is pretty incredible at a school like Purdue.

Tebow at Florida? They EXPECT that out of their athletes, they have been in the mix in the SEC title for the last decade.

I'm not saying it's the pinacle of a season, I'm just more amazed by a preformance like what Brees did in W. Lafayette.

Triple-S

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:47 pm

Wow, SSS, just wow.

Good thing you aren't a Texas Tech fan or Kliff Klingsbury or Graham Harrell would also be on ahead of Tebow.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:52 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Wow, SSS, just wow.

Good thing you aren't a Texas Tech fan or Kliff Klingsbury or Graham Harrell would also be on ahead of Tebow.

:lmfao:

Or a Houston Cougars fan.

Andre Ware and Dave Klinger were beasts....at least in college.

Whatever happened to harrell? Isn't he in the CFL now-a-days?

I apologize for the blatent homerism on my part, I just get a little passionate when it comes to defending my favorite player of all time. He was a huge reason why I became a sports fan, along with the Tribe of the 1990's.

Triple-S

Unread postby davemanddd » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:22 pm

it's all just a matter of perspective in the here-and-now. might i remind you that green bay packer fans in 1989 picked lindy infante as the best coach in their history and cavs fans in 1997 picked shawn kemp as one of their all-time top 5 cavs. 20 years from now when you mention tim tebow then, tell me how many times people say "who??" and then we will see if he's considered the greatest player then. probably not.
dave . . .
davemanddd

Favorite Player: joe thomas
Least Favorite Player: lebron james

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:32 am

All of the sudden it's Tim Tebow's fault he went to Florida.

ANYONE could win a championship there.

Christ.

There's a reason Florida wanted the guy....

It's just par for the course how aggravation from the guy getting stroked by the media clouds reality.

Clearly one of the best collegiate players of all time. Not a guy who's in a conversation with Drew Brees.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:44 am

Of all the guys I've seen since I started watching college football in the mid-80's, the only two I'd put ahead of Tebow without hesitation are Vince Young and Barry Sanders. That's pretty much it.

People really need to stop basing their assessments on their peevishness at the media's fellatio of Tebow. The guy is a great, great player, period.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:33 am

Talk to me after they play 'Bama and Texas.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby noles1 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:16 am

My 2 cents...

Drew Brees is out of the discussion. No title. Therefore, out.

When evaluating Tebow you have to give serious props IF he wins two titles under his watch. Year 1 I dont think a reasonable college football fan would count. That's Leak's, although Tebow did have some gimmicks to that season.

Year 1 for Tebow (Soph.) he lost 5 games. Still won the Heisman but 5 games. Hardly something to shake at, throw in an offense catered to him and a schedule where in some games he put up gaudy numbers in meaningless time, then there is some question when looking at that season historically,

Year 2 Tebow was terrific. If he hadn't have won the Heisman the year before he would have won it last year. (Which I think he should have) I think this year was his finest, although he still can improve his senior year, namely by winning the next two.

This year for Tebow has been a struggle. He has much as admitted it. It hasn't been as fun and teams are seemingly giving up rushing touchdowns to UF's RBs rather than let Tebow get numbers. That is why UF runs the shovel pass play so much. It gives Tim an opportunity to make multiple decisions to play off the defense. His passing this year has regressed IMO. He struggles throwing inside the pocket, his ball placement and accuracy is flawed and he carries the football way to low while in the pocket. The wind up delivery is a tremendous reason why. For as great of a player he is in college football, the fact that he never significantly improved his passing over his career is a disappointment. Frankly, I think it is somewhat attributed to Tebow's own competitive spirit and a coach that is too comfortable with him to challenge him to do certain things. He can will his team to victory and make critical plays when given the opportunity. However, at no point in his career was he ever challenged by his coaching staff to do it with his arm. It has always been an accessory to what he brings to the field.

Take nothing away from Tim Tebow as a player and his accomplishments but I will always be left with what his career could have evolved to had he had coach truly teach him the finer nuiances of the QB position. He's basically a bulked up Steve Young before Young learned and perfected his craft. Maybe Tebow will make that evolution but I have yet to see it.

All this in mind, regardless of the next 2 games he has to be in the Top 25 players of all-time. His body of work is the key though. If he caps this off then the discussion evolves further, however if it doesn't I fail to see how he made anymore of an impact in college football (the game, not all the other hoopla) than a Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Ken Dorsey, Eric Crouch, Danny Wuerffel or Charlie Ward. That's just my opinion. I just think the fact that CBS and the media now control so much of what is disseminated that it allows judgement and historical acknowledgement to be damned. (Bill Simmons eloquently writes of this point in his new book) Essentially, how quickly the past is forgotten when the media is searching for headlines and heroes.

As a Noles fan, I have seen enough of him but that said I can appreciate what he has been able to do. I think the fact that he has been as durable as he has is the biggest shock to me. Just a beast. Great competitor and a very proud, strong person. I think some of the stuff about him has been over-done and today's broadcast was somewhat typical of that. Nevertheless, he can only control himself and what he puts out there. While he can be a little overly forthcoming at times, the media is truly to blame for those that despise or dislike Tebow. At this point, I am not sure that they even no better or know another way to appreciate a player.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:14 pm

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:Talk to me after they play 'Bama and Texas.

Already in the clubhouse.

Put the team on his back in last year's Bama' game - for the championship.

He'll be the difference next Saturday anyway, just for good measure, but he doesn't really need to add much, he's already got more than just about anyone.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Lubber » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:14 pm

Triple-S wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:Wow, SSS, just wow.

Or a Houston Cougars fan.

Andre Ware and Dave Klinger were beasts....at least in college.

Whatever happened to harrell? Isn't he in the CFL now-a-days?

I apologize for the blatent homerism on my part, I just get a little passionate when it comes to defending my favorite player of all time. He was a huge reason why I became a sports fan, along with the Tribe of the 1990's.

Beasts as far as putting up yards in open offenses against mediocre defenses.

It is perfectly OK to be a homer and to be inlove with Brees and any other guy who Boliermaked. But, your credibility takes a hit when you claim that these Purdue guys are that much better than Tebow. No Heisman's, no titles, tough to consider a guy to be the best at a level with neither one of those under his belt. If Brees goes to Univ of Pitt and ended up playing with the Steelers, you would be calling him Short Elway and a prick for always beating the Browns.
Lubber

Unread postby RIBrownsFan » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:02 pm

Tommie Frazier belongs on any short list...
"I feel very strongly that the name Whalers is synonymous with Connecticut hockey. The Cleveland Browns should always be the Cleveland Browns."

-Howard Baldwin
RIBrownsFan

Favorite Player: Howard Baldwin
Least Favorite Player: the Prom Queen's ego

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:25 pm

noles1 wrote:My 2 cents...

Drew Brees is out of the discussion. No title. Therefore, out.

When evaluating Tebow you have to give serious props IF he wins two titles under his watch. Year 1 I dont think a reasonable college football fan would count. That's Leak's, although Tebow did have some gimmicks to that season.

Year 1 for Tebow (Soph.) he lost 5 games. Still won the Heisman but 5 games. Hardly something to shake at, throw in an offense catered to him and a schedule where in some games he put up gaudy numbers in meaningless time, then there is some question when looking at that season historically,

Year 2 Tebow was terrific. If he hadn't have won the Heisman the year before he would have won it last year. (Which I think he should have) I think this year was his finest, although he still can improve his senior year, namely by winning the next two.

This year for Tebow has been a struggle. He has much as admitted it. It hasn't been as fun and teams are seemingly giving up rushing touchdowns to UF's RBs rather than let Tebow get numbers. That is why UF runs the shovel pass play so much. It gives Tim an opportunity to make multiple decisions to play off the defense. His passing this year has regressed IMO. He struggles throwing inside the pocket, his ball placement and accuracy is flawed and he carries the football way to low while in the pocket. The wind up delivery is a tremendous reason why. For as great of a player he is in college football, the fact that he never significantly improved his passing over his career is a disappointment. Frankly, I think it is somewhat attributed to Tebow's own competitive spirit and a coach that is too comfortable with him to challenge him to do certain things. He can will his team to victory and make critical plays when given the opportunity. However, at no point in his career was he ever challenged by his coaching staff to do it with his arm. It has always been an accessory to what he brings to the field.

Take nothing away from Tim Tebow as a player and his accomplishments but I will always be left with what his career could have evolved to had he had coach truly teach him the finer nuiances of the QB position. He's basically a bulked up Steve Young before Young learned and perfected his craft. Maybe Tebow will make that evolution but I have yet to see it.

All this in mind, regardless of the next 2 games he has to be in the Top 25 players of all-time. His body of work is the key though. If he caps this off then the discussion evolves further, however if it doesn't I fail to see how he made anymore of an impact in college football (the game, not all the other hoopla) than a Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Ken Dorsey, Eric Crouch, Danny Wuerffel or Charlie Ward. That's just my opinion. I just think the fact that CBS and the media now control so much of what is disseminated that it allows judgement and historical acknowledgement to be damned. (Bill Simmons eloquently writes of this point in his new book) Essentially, how quickly the past is forgotten when the media is searching for headlines and heroes.

As a Noles fan, I have seen enough of him but that said I can appreciate what he has been able to do. I think the fact that he has been as durable as he has is the biggest shock to me. Just a beast. Great competitor and a very proud, strong person. I think some of the stuff about him has been over-done and today's broadcast was somewhat typical of that. Nevertheless, he can only control himself and what he puts out there. While he can be a little overly forthcoming at times, the media is truly to blame for those that despise or dislike Tebow. At this point, I am not sure that they even no better or know another way to appreciate a player.

I agree with a lot of this, but I would add that in a coaching staff developing him more as a passer could be done at the expense of success on the field. As far as winning games this is insignificant, because as you mentioned, he has made critical plays at critical times, including with his arm. (See last year's NCG)

As a quarterback he has always answered the bell. And that's what it's all about.

It is this reason that I always felt Florida was still the number one team in the country all year long, even though they looked vulnerable at times, because someone has got to stand up and knock the king off of the mountain. The teams that have looked primed to do it, have not.

The end of that game this week was huge for Bama, and huge for their young QB. Better this Saturday than next to be put in that position.

This is the championship game again, I think Texas has some serious match-up problems against florida, prmiarily because they'll be able to negate the Texas pass rush by moving Tebow.

Should be interesting.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:10 pm

Bump.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Unread postby jfiling » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:45 pm

I wonder if his tears washed away the stupid bible verse on his dumbass under-eye bandages.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:56 pm

favorite quote ever from SAS on Tebow

Go play for Mangini, crybaby.

also, this:

As an Ohio State fan I have a right to be childish.

At least Troy Smith didn't cry like a bitch after he was blown out.

Triple-S

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:00 pm

Triple-S

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:42 pm

:nanner:

Triple-S

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:38 pm

How's that Haterade taste? I think you guys might have had a little too much of it to drink.

Yea, I can't stand how the media is all over this guy's jock. And I rooted for 'Bama. But to mock the kid because of his faith and his passion for the game is, ah well, your choice certainly but I find it kinda fucked up. YMMV, and obviously does.

mattvan1

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:42 pm

mattvan1 wrote:How's that Haterade taste? I think you guys might have had a little too much of it to drink.

Yea, I can't stand how the media is all over this guy's jock. And I rooted for 'Bama. But to mock the kid because of his faith and his passion for the game is, ah well, your choice certainly but I find it kinda fucked up. YMMV, and obviously does.

Completely agree.

I like the guy. In terms of his faith I hope he's the real deal. In terms of his ability and toughness there's no doubt he's the real deal.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:44 pm

I'll give him a few tears, but c'mon. He was quibbering well into the post-game interview. All that was missing was Urban Meyer handing him a binky, a cup of warm cocoa, and telling him 'Don't worry, we'll beat the Bearcats in the Sugar Bowl and everything will be alright.'

This is football. Ya gotta man up.
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:48 pm

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:I'll give him a few tears, but c'mon. He was quibbering well into the post-game interview. All that was missing was Urban Meyer handing him a binky, a cup of warm cocoa, and telling him 'Don't worry, we'll beat the Bearcats in the Sugar Bowl and everything will be alright.'

I disagree. But that's fucking funny. I don't care who you are.
mattvan1

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:55 pm

mattvan1 wrote:How's that Haterade taste? I think you guys might have had a little too much of it to drink.

Not mocking his faith. God bless the guy for being a good person and a christian.

It's Florida though, the team that ran up the score and crushed TOSU's dream season in '06, the wounds for me are still there, and then proceeded to start the "SEC IS TEH GREATEST CONFERENCE EVERZ!" crapola that we've all had to hear for the past 2-3 years. And it's not like Florida was saying the same thing after we got an asswhupping as either, if anything I recall they were even WORSE in rubbing the salt in the wound after we got in beat in '06.

Crap like this.

http://sidesalad.net/archives/OhioState ... orsJPG.JPG

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l10/a ... 06/osu.jpg

makes it somewhat fair game.

Triple-S

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:17 pm

Triple-S wrote: Not mocking his faith. God bless the guy for being a good person and a christian.

It wasn't you - someone else upthread.

Triple-S wrote: It's Florida though, the team that ran up the score and crushed TOSU's dream season in '06, the wounds for me are still there, and then proceeded to start the "SEC IS TEH GREATEST CONFERENCE EVERZ!" crapola that we've all had to hear for the past 2-3 years. And it's not like Florida was saying the same thing after we got an asswhupping as either, if anything I recall they were even WORSE in rubbing the salt in the wound after we got in beat in '06.

Crap like this.

Dude, I don't really know what to say, unless you feel Tebow actually posted those files on the web and then bragged about it. The "Failure" one is actually pretty funny. I'm not Dr. Phil, but you may want to find an outlet for your anger regarding a game that happened almost 3 years ago. Just sayin'.

Look, I can't fucking stand Tim Tebow. But I respect the hell out of him.

Peace. Now it's time to watch Texas roll up 24 unanswered against the Huskers.
mattvan1

Unread postby StewieG » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:33 pm

Personally I don't care about his faith, or whether or not it's real.

He's a very good player. Best ever? Meh, probably not. He's certainly near the top of the list, but there have been better players. I also don't think he'll make a good pro QB. He might make it as a TE or FB though. We'll see.

I don't really have a problem with Tebow himself. I have a problem with people saying things like "If you're fortunate enough to spend 15-20 minutes around Tim Tebow, you're a better person for it" (Thom Brennaman). Look, Tebow's a good player, and apparently a nice guy. But he ain't God like (some) people make him out to be.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:40 am

When victor Martinez was balling like an 8th grade girls basketball runner-up it showed "passion" and "heart"

Tebow does it and he's a puss.

See how that works?
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:44 am

Exactly. Victor Martinez sheds some tears in the dugout and "he cares" and is "the heart and soul". Tim Tebow does it and he's a fraud/pussy/baby/loser?

Whatever.

You guys need to pick a side or Shut the Fuck Up.
Last edited by peeker643 on Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:41 am

VMart was traded from the only org he's ever played for. You could say it was his family.

Tebow got smoked in an SEC Championship game. Dude already has two trophies and it wasn't even the last game of his collegiate career and he still acted as if Mike Ingram stole his favorite teddy.

Apples and oranges.
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:58 am

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:VMart was traded from the only org he's ever played for. You could say it was his family.

Tebow got smoked in an SEC Championship game. Dude already has two trophies and it wasn't even the last game of his collegiate career and he still acted as if Mike Ingram stole his favorite teddy.

Apples and oranges.

Bullshit.

Victor teared up in the dugout in Boston at the end of the '07 postseason when they lost. It wasn't even the last playoff game of his career. You ain't thinking about what's on the mantle when you're going for another one.

He felt the same responsibility to his mates as Tebow did to his. And Victor was almost 30 and not 21 or 22.

Drop it y'all. It's ridiculous. Or at least admit the geo-centric tilt/personal bias of your horseshit.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby dmiles » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:41 am

As much as I want to laugh and poke fun at Tebow the thing that stops me is knowing it was Bama that did it to him.

Kissing your sister and all that..... While I liked seeing Florida go down, it still leaves me with a yuck feeling.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:18 am

I'm not going back and reading anything. Fact is Tebow crying is ridiculous, beyond ridiculous. Not really comparable to much else considering how close the guy was to being so historical.

Freakin wimp assed loser.

Completely tainted his career perception.

Tough shit b/c it is totally on him.

Only two questions left about Tim Tebow's career, what position will he fill in for in the NFL and how did he really get syphillis (sp).
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby jfiling » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:22 am

After looking back, I have to be the guy who ripped on his faith. This isn't the forum to debate the validity of his faith, but I do question his selective use of the New Testament.

Matthew 6:5-6 says:
"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:58 am

FUDU wrote:I'm not going back and reading anything. Fact is Tebow crying is ridiculous, beyond ridiculous. Not really comparable to much else considering how close the guy was to being so historical.

Only two questions left about Tim Tebow's career, what position will he fill in for in the NFL and how did he really get syphillis (sp).

Aaaaannnd this post pretty much sums up the entire point.

Christ.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:17 am

Lead Pipe wrote:
FUDU wrote:I'm not going back and reading anything. Fact is Tebow crying is ridiculous, beyond ridiculous. Not really comparable to much else considering how close the guy was to being so historical.

Aaaaannnd this post pretty much sums up the entire point.

Christ.

It wasn't too far upthread where I mentioned personal biases. Can anyone find 3 or 4 above? It's like a word search.

Who outside of Florida does like Him?
Who wants to hear/see him proselytize every time he's interviewed or you see inside the helmet?

But fer fucksake, give the guy some credit for being one of the top 10 college players of all time and being the anti-Pacman Jones/Chris Henry type of criminal being handed a college education.

I thought the crying was funny. Same as I did when Victor sobbed on the dugout bench in Boston and on TV in July. No difference except the ones created by dislike, jealousy or biases. That's all.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:39 am

So his crying at the end of the SEC championship game trumps all that he's accomplished in his collegiate career? Is that the correct interpretation or am I completely off base?

Maybe he felt that HE let his teammates down, maybe he felt that HE let Gator fans down. Maybe the kid felt so much pressure to take over the game at anytime and will Fla to a victory at a moments notice that he finally broke down. In no way does this diminish anything that he's achieved in his career.

I'll trump Peeker's VMart take with the pictures of a young Julian Tavares bawling like a baby in the dugout after game 6 of the '95 WS. He was just expressing the heartache of the entire city. Yet when Cora did the same after game 6 of the ALCS in '95, Tribe fans were all over him for being a cry baby.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:44 am

Triple-S wrote:

Not mocking his faith. God bless the guy for being a good person and a christian.

It's Florida though, the team that ran up the score and crushed TOSU's dream season in '06, the wounds for me are still there, and then proceeded to start the "SEC IS TEH GREATEST CONFERENCE EVERZ!" crapola that we've all had to hear for the past 2-3 years. And it's not like Florida was saying the same thing after we got an asswhupping as either, if anything I recall they were even WORSE in rubbing the salt in the wound after we got in beat in '06.

Crap like this.

Two things that will never change about this place. SSS will never be able to exist in a realm that doesn't include constant paranoia about other teams fans and the media and bks will never stop dropping deuces one after another all over the site.

I need to realize this and adapt.

That said, fuck Tim Tebow and his faith. He can eat geezes out for all I care, but that shit has nothing to do w/ what is being bitched about in this thread. Guy just essentially pulled an LBJ post Magic series (albeit w/ a different method of venting, but the same vent was going on, nonetheless) and we have our resident bulimic sixteen year old dancing on the grave. That I get and expect, but I expect better from you Doug. You're smarter than that.

There was a time when sports meant enough to me as a player that a loss made me throw up. Crushed me, made me want to kill someone, cost me gfs, etc. That died in me a long time ago, but hating someone who still has that makes about as much sense as sticking your dick in an electric socket to blow a nut off.

Yesterday CBS chose Marky Mark as its dick suck of the day. Guy was hitting 15 yard holes in the fourth quarter and the announcing crew was literally screaming "LOOK AT THAT CUT!!!!!" The network has two things going for them in sports, the NCAA tourney and the SEC and they blow the shit out of them at every given opportunity. I make fun of it every game, but EOD I expect that and don't let it bother me. It's not like they are taking the time to venture onto TCF to write what should be well thought out responses to said game and running into my turf.

*I say all of this knowing full well that if someone from Notre Dame cried my own personal hate would intervene and I would think things equal to that of what Doug and SSS did upthread, not sure I would post them (actually doubt I would) but I would think them.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:47 am

Triple-S wrote:It's Florida though, the team that ran up the score and crushed TOSU's dream season in '06, the wounds for me are still there, and then proceeded to start the "SEC IS TEH GREATEST CONFERENCE EVERZ!" crapola that we've all had to hear for the past 2-3 years. And it's not like Florida was saying the same thing after we got an asswhupping as either, if anything I recall they were even WORSE in rubbing the salt in the wound after we got in beat in '06.

Crap like this.

So Florida is the team that started the SEC is the greatest conference crap? Really? If the shoe were on the other foot and the Big Ten was sweepin through the BCS, B10 fans would be pounding their chests just as much. Same with any conference that is dominating at the time.

You do know those postings were made by fans. I'm sure it wasn't the Atletic Dept at Florida having brainstorming sessions to determine, "what's the best way to mock tOSU." What makes those items posted any different from those that are posted about Michigan?

Sorry, but at times your "sour grapes" takes diminish some of the quality posts you have.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:48 am

Larvell Blanks wrote:
Sorry, but at times your "sour grapes" takes diminish some of the quality posts you have.

There is something else to his posts?
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Triple-S » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:37 pm

Larvell Blanks wrote:Sorry, but at times your "sour grapes" takes diminish some of the quality posts you have.

Admittingly I get a little to emotional and ignore logic on occasion in some posts. I've tried to get better with it, but what's the point of being a fan without a little passion? Again, I've tried to become a better poster on the board realizing that I do have shortcomings.

Did I get a little carried away making fun of Tebow? Yeah, but I think a good portion of the country was finally relieved to see that team lose. You look at any given board or talk to any random person in the state of ohio right now, I can almost gurantee they were happy to see Florida go down. My own personal reasons aside, you have to admit it will be nice not having to hear for the next month about how this will be the greatest college team ever and the 50 pieces ESPN will do on Tebow ad nausiem.

Also, Ingram was a beast in that game :), and to counter eeyore's statement, Danielson and Verne almost seemed suicidal when they knew Tebow and Florida were going to lose.

Triple-S

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:41 pm

Peeker and Lead, not sure if you guys are being a bit sarcastic or not, or if this is like the taser thread and we agree but can't put it into words properly.

I am not saying Tebow isn't an impressive college football player, he just is, accomplished too much to take that away. But that image of him crying on the bench will always be remembered and maybe even displayed on a regular basis. Is it fair, eh, in today's world, too bad. If you don't want to get caught on camera crying don't cry, right? He has to be a better guy than that. Yeah sure he was extremely emotional, but he should be able to hold it in, not for my sake or the medias, but for his own, as that example and leader that he supposedly is.

There are lot of things I really really wanted in life as an adult, when I didn't get em I didn't cry about it.

I'd have more respect for him if he threw his helmet down in a fit of rage......relax Dwayne Rudd, relax.

Now if I was within 10 feet of Diane Lane..... I mean there's tears and then there are tears.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:48 pm

I still think he should have won the Heisman over Jason White Jr. last year, but I don't think the bitter old men will ever vote in the same guy twice again. And despite his faith, I don't think Timmy or the Gators are going to have mercy on UC or TCU or whatever poor sap ends up being his last college opponent ever.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Next

Return to College Sports Arena