Text Size

College Sports Arena

Gotta love Rivalry Week

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Gotta love Rivalry Week

Unread postby swerb » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:44 am

Some of the luster off some of these matchups this year. But there's nothing like three straight days of rivalry games sandwiched between the Thanksgiving NFL games and Sunday NFL games.

Every year I take the Friday after Turkey Day off so I can give my full attention to watching football for four days straight. I'll get up once every couple hours to aid in the decoration of the house ... wrestle with my kids, just so the leg doesn't fall asleep.

I think we may see a couple upsets this year a la a couple years ago when big underdog Arkansas killed LSU's NC chances in one of the better games I can remember watching in recent years.

---

Thurs 8 PM - ESPN - Texas at Texas A&M - Texas due for a letdown, I think there may be a little Kyle Field matchup after a couple Texas beatdowns in this one as of late. Like the Aggies getting 22.

---

Friday 11 AM - ESPN2 - Rutgers at Louisville - Enter your favorite Lead Man joke about the Louisville head coach here.

Friday 11 AM - ESPNU - Temple at Ohio U - When Temple can enter your conference and dominate it immediately ... IN FOOTBALL ... well, let's just say that doesn't say much for the MAC.

Friday NOON - ABC - Illinois at Cincinnati - Bearcats look to stay perfect, Illini & Zook/Juice look to salvage a disaster season that started with high hopes.

Friday 2:30 PM - CBS - Alabama at Auburn - Fired up for The Iron Bowl this year.

Friday 3:30 PM - ABC - Nebraska at Colorado - I miss Colorado being good. Nebraska appears on the road back after The Bill Shanahan Disaster (tm).

Friday 7:00 PM - ESPN2 - Pitt at West Virginia - Backyard Brawl is another one of my favorites. Who can forget the DickRod choke job in this game two years ago that allowed tOSU to go to the NC game. I like West V in this one this year.

Friday 10:00 PM - ESPN2 - Nevada at Boise - Joe Tessitore and blue artificial turf. If that doesn't scream Thanksgiving tradition, I don't know what does.

---

Saturday NOON - ESPN - Clemson at South Carolina - Another one where I like the home dog.

Saturday NOON - ESPN 2 - North Carolina at North Carolina State - Both schools had high hopes when adding new head coaches Butch Davis and Tom O'Brien. Butch has brought the Heels back from the depths. O'Brien has failed to do so with the Wolfpack, and his team is struggling badly down the stretch here.

Saturday 12:30 PM - FSN - Oklahoma State at Oklahoma - Okie State could improbably land in a BCS bowl with a win here. Stoops is looking to salvage the Sooners worst season in many years.

Saturday 3:30 PM - CBS - Florida State at Florida - Despite becoming bowl eligible with a win vs Maryland last week, a real bad loss here could mercifully end Bobby Bowden's reign at FSU. You know Urban would love to be the one to knife his jugular.

Saturday 3:30 PM - ABC - Virginia Tech at Virginia - Al Groh has to have pictures of the Virginia AD having relations with a farm animal. It's the only thing that could possibly explain how he is still employed by the University.

Saturday 3:30 PM - ESPNU - Boston College at Maryland - Pray one of the two above games is actually close so you don't have to spend significant time watching this one.

Saturday 5:00 PM - The Mtn - Utah at BYU - Not sure what "The Mtn" network is, or if I have it ... but I'll be looking for it on Saturday at 5:00.

Saturday 6:00 PM - FSN - Texas Tech at Baylor - Good god the Big 12 sucks this year. Where are all these national assholes that love to rip on the Big Ten? I want to hear some bile thrown the Big 12's way.

Saturday 7:00 PM - ESPN - Arkansas at LSU - This is always an awesome game.

Saturday 7:00 PM - ESPNU - Tennessee at Kentucky - Wildcats with a chance to end their season with wins over Georgia and Tennessee.

Saturday 8:00 PM - ESPN2 - Georgia at Georgia Tech - In a reversal of fortunes, the Jackets come into this one as the one loss top ten team and big favorite. Is it slipping away from Mark Richt at UGA? Even the damn bulldog mascot died this year ... talk about symbolism. Will HoodooMan have to pick a new favorite team with cute colors and a cool mascot?

Saturday 8:00 PM - ABC - Notre Dame at Stanford - America's hottest head coach versus it's fattest (How did Weis actually get fatter after having the stomach staple surgery) and closest to the unemployment line (no offense to Jabba the Mangino at Kansas). As they used to say in the old popular Mortal Kombat video game ... "FINISH HIM!" Harbaugh.

Saturday 10:00 PM - FSN - UCLA at USC - Just doesn't seem right that this game is on FSN at 10 PM and is being announced by Barry Tompkins and Petros Papadkis (no joke) while Ducks and Beavers battle it out for the Rose Bowl berth. Not that I mind it ...

Saturday 10:30 PM - ESPNU - Navy at Hawaii - I could care less about this game and will never stay awake till the end. Doesn't mean I won't bet on it.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Gotta love Rivalry Week

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:58 am

Friday 3:30 PM - ABC - Nebraska at Colorado - I miss Colorado being good. Nebraska appears on the road back after The Alec Baldwin Disaster (tm).

Love this weekend, never get to watch as much as I would like.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby RIBrownsFan » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:17 pm

For shame omitting the Apple Cup, sir...
"I feel very strongly that the name Whalers is synonymous with Connecticut hockey. The Cleveland Browns should always be the Cleveland Browns."

-Howard Baldwin
RIBrownsFan

Favorite Player: Howard Baldwin
Least Favorite Player: the Prom Queen's ego

Unread postby Guest » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:39 pm

No one noticed rivalry week in the NFL that just passed ...

Baltimore @ Cleveland
Indianapolis @ Baltimore
Arizona @ St. Louis
Tennessee @ Houston

Within eight days, all these games were played. Anyone know what they had in common?

Unread postby hornet84 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:39 pm

Does anyone remember when Pitt and Penn State was a Thanksgiving weekend staple ? Tony Dorsett vs. the Penn State LBs was alot of to watch.Johnny Majors vs. Joe Pa . The Nittany Lions joining the Big Ten put an end to that rivalry. That and the fact that Pitt has been pretty bad until the past couple of seasons.
hornet84
Big Mon

Favorite Player: The Big Show
Least Favorite Player: Bud Selig

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:42 pm

hornet84 wrote:Does anyone remember when Pitt and Penn State was a Thanksgiving weekend staple ? Tony Dorsett vs. the Penn State LBs was alot of to watch.Johnny Majors vs. Joe Pa . The Nittany Lions joining the Big Ten put an end to that rivalry. That and the fact that Pitt has been pretty bad until the past couple of seasons.

Yup, I remember Pitt-Penn State. Senseless that those teams don't play anymore.

What I really miss is Oklahoma-Nebraska. That was the game of games back in the day.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:46 pm

Swerb wrote:Friday 11 AM - ESPNU - Temple at Ohio U - When Temple can enter your conference and dominate it immediately ... IN FOOTBALL ... well, let's just say that doesn't say much for the MAC.

Auctually, I'm shocked Temple hasn't been able to transform itself into a decent program. They play in a place that seems like it's middleground for three states that are pretty good when it comes to HS Football talent (New York, Penn, New Jersey), they play in a major city, their stadium is beyound nice as they play at the Iggles new stadium.

Swerb wrote:Saturday NOON - ESPN - Clemson at South Carolina - Another one where I like the home dog.

Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby swerb » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:53 pm

HermanFontenot wrote:
hornet84 wrote:Does anyone remember when Pitt and Penn State was a Thanksgiving weekend staple ? Tony Dorsett vs. the Penn State LBs was alot of to watch.Johnny Majors vs. Joe Pa . The Nittany Lions joining the Big Ten put an end to that rivalry. That and the fact that Pitt has been pretty bad until the past couple of seasons.

What I really miss is Oklahoma-Nebraska. That was the game of games back in the day.

We're the same age Jess, some of my greatest non OSU memories as a kid are of Oklahoma/Nebraska games. Remember being fascinated by the OU option, the simplicity of the uniforms and helmets ... the smashmouth nature of the games.

BYU being a national power, Penn State's linebackers ... Miami Fla vs Fla State being a HUGE game. Schools like A&M, Arizona, UCLA and Notre Dame being perennial powers.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:11 pm

Swerb wrote:
HermanFontenot wrote:

We're the same age Jess, some of my greatest non OSU memories as a kid are of Oklahoma/Nebraska games. Remember being fascinated by the OU option, the simplicity of the uniforms and helmets ... the smashmouth nature of the games.

BYU being a national power, Penn State's linebackers ... Miami Fla vs Fla State being a HUGE game. Schools like A&M, Arizona, UCLA and Notre Dame being perennial powers.

Saw a bit of an Oklahoma/Nebraska and OSU/Michigan game, both from the early 1980s, on various networks this weekend. Compared to today's game, you might as well have been watching football from the 1950s.

Unread postby dmiles » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:02 pm

Texas gains 398 yards on offense in the 1st half.. Sherman is an NFL guy does he not understand or value defense? Or do they just not have the stallions?
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:36 am

dmiles wrote:Texas gains 398 yards on offense in the 1st half.. Sherman is an NFL guy does he not understand or value defense? Or do they just not have the stallions?

Sherman is still organizing his troops.

A&M is YOUNG. Especially on D. Or perhaps I should say the TALENT on that team is young. It looks like he'll have them back in the picture in a year or two.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby swerb » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:59 am

First time I sat down and watched A&M this year. QB is impressive. They have some legitimate young talent. As Lead said ... next couple years they should be back in the mix.

Got Rutgers -3, Illinois +21, and West V +1 today.

Going back and forth on the Iron Bowl. Was leaning Auburn all week. Getting second thoughts.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:49 am

Swerb wrote:First time I sat down and watched A&M this year. QB is impressive. They have some legitimate young talent. As Lead said ... next couple years they should be back in the mix.

Got Rutgers -3, Illinois +21, and West V +1 today.

Going back and forth on the Iron Bowl. Was leaning Auburn all week. Getting second thoughts.

I like Rutgers and the Illini as well. And, I like Pitt's team, but again, Lead Man has been "Wannestadted" too many times for him to pull the trigger.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby noles1 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:48 pm

This Auburn game is going to be really fun to watch...

Bama better be ready because Auburn is probably the sleeper team in the SEC this year.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby fundamentals » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:02 pm

I think Auburn will stay within the number in this game. I also thought Illinois might have been the lock of the year, guess it's easy to say that now given that it's 42-30 in the fourth, but 21 is a ton of points especially to an Illini team that has played much better in the last three to four weeks.
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:10 pm

Auburn leads the Tide 14-0 in the second quarter.

'Bama is in major trouble here. They aren't exactly built to make big comebacks on the road.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Unread postby swerb » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:54 pm

And we got ourselves a ball game. 14-14. What a start to this one. Bama is able to fight back from that disastrous start .... with 8 yards on 7 carries from Ingram.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:02 pm

Alabama is dominating this second quarter. They've been on the Auburn side of the field the entire time.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Unread postby Tymaster » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:40 pm

Temple didn't look like a powerhouse today.
GO BOBCCATS 2009 MAC EAST CHAMPIONS
Tymaster

Unread postby fundamentals » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:02 pm

Auburn back up on top in this contest :pop:

I think Cincy's bubble is burst next weekend against Pitt :hide:
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:08 pm

fundamentals wrote:Auburn back up on top in this contest :pop:

I think Cincy's bubble is burst next weekend against Pitt :hide:

When you cannot the run the ball your bubble will bust sooner than later most times.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby noles1 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:59 pm

Atrocious clock management by Auburn. That's on the coaching staff and the senior QB.

Cannot throw shit shorter than the first down marker in the middle of the field.

Just horrible, give yourself a chance...

Bama and UF next week for a trip to the title game.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:02 pm

Beurlin "it can happen, like Doug Flutie to Brian Brennan..."

uhh..Steve..kudos for knowing that they were team mates, BUT, it wasn't to Brennan, rather to Gerard Phelan.

I'm disapointed. I was rooting for an upset in this game, and then for 'bama to upset Florida, so we wouldn't have to deal with the "SEC IS THE GREATEST CONFERENCE EVER" hype in the upcoming BCS title game.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby swerb » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:48 pm

That was one helluva football game. As was Longhorns/Aggies last night.

Have a feeling the Backyard Brawl is gonna be a good one tonight too. Almost always is.

A lot of revenge for these WVU upperclassmen tonight. The bad loss two years ago. Last year's loss. WVU also looking for their first unbeaten season at home tonight for the first time since 1993.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:25 pm

The college coaching triple crown today.

Wannestadt absolutely lost all control early in the third once Devine went long. What a leader ole Dave is.

Ron Zook gets half a hundred hung on him.

And did Coach Kragthorpe know his game was on Friday this week?

Holy Christ.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby swerb » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:31 pm

All your favorites in action today Lead. Quality entertainment.

At least Zook covered. Shortly after that game started, I said to my 4.5 year old ... I actually bet money on Ron Zook against Brian Kelly today. He says, "What's a Zook?" I said "exactly son".

4-0 ATS start to rivalry week for me though. I'll take it.

Early thoughts on tomorrow are South Carolina, Stanford, Ole Miss, Ark St, and Tex Tech.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:48 pm

Gonna be fun to watch Spiller and the tigers tommorow.

C-L-E-M-S-O-N..T-I-G-E-RRR-S! FIGHT TIGERS! FIGHT TIGERS! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!!

Triple-S

Unread postby swerb » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:18 am

Talked myself out of South Carolina. Playing Ole Miss, Arkansas State early ... both laying 8.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:06 pm

CJ Spiller is going to be a stud RB in the NFL.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby swerb » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:10 pm

Pretty happy I talked myself out of the Cocks right about now. You just knew Spiller was taking that rekick back. Also ... more I looked at Clemson this morning, more I convinced myself that this team, Dabo Switney ... are for real. Clemson has been a perpetual disappointment for what seems like the last 20 years. This is a pretty good football team.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:20 pm

Spiller's a beast, wouldn't mind seeing him reform the tandem with James Davis up here when the draft comes along in April.

Triple-S

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:55 pm

Duke's defense needs to get me a few stops. Jesus.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:56 pm

New rule,

If you're getting blocked into the kicker, it should be a no-call. Completely B___S____ call right there.

F-the chickens.

Triple-S

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:35 pm

Rich, Ole Miss needs to keep this hurry up offense thing going for us. Miss St. had absolutely no answer on that drive. Keep playing uptempo.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby swerb » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:27 pm

Ole Miss - one of those teams this year, every time I back em they look like dog shit. Every time I play against em, they look great.

Got Kansas +3.5 and Tex Tech -21 in the afternoon games. Georgia +8 and Tennessee -3 tonight.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:35 pm

Swerb wrote:Ole Miss - one of those teams this year, every time I back em they look like dog shit. Every time I play against em, they look great.

Got Kansas +3.5 and Tex Tech -21 in the afternoon games.

BC -6.5 and GT later tonight -8 for me.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby dmiles » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:37 am

Pete Carrol having more fun. If I am a UCLA kid, I go head hunting here. Cheap shots are called for at times.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby municipalmutt » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:05 am

Looks like the Les Miles school of clock management is required learning for some of these idiot head coaches. Kansas really stood out though. Inside of 2 minutes left with the lead and only running 8 seconds off the clock before the stupid safety. If they had run the ball 3 times and punted, the game was over.

Georgia Tech had 1:50+ left, one timeout, and the ball in Georgia territory, yet they're throwing up bombs like there's no tomorrow. How come so many college HCs can't manage a game inside 2 minutes?
municipalmutt

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:43 am

municipalmutt wrote:Georgia Tech had 1:50+ left, one timeout, and the ball in Georgia territory, yet they're throwing up bombs like there's no tomorrow. How come so many college HCs can't manage a game inside 2 minutes?

I didn't understand that at all either. Sure, there was single coverage on the WRs, but still. Should have run the 4th down play a few times, assuming the kid didn't go all Braylon Edwards on them each time.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Return to College Sports Arena