Text Size

College Sports Arena

UK vs CSU (Cancun ballroom)

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

UK vs CSU (Cancun ballroom)

Unread postby WarAdmiral » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:42 pm

Tuesday at 4:30 on CBS CS (613 directv)

I have linked a blog with pictures of the court and ballroom they will be playing in. The place has a portable court laid down over carpet, and chandeliers hanging over the court. I have been looking forward to this game for awhile, almost looked into going to it, but never realized they would be playing in room like this. Should make for some interesting viewing tomorrow.

Here is a link, with a couple of pics of the ballroom.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=35490
WarAdmiral

Re: UK vs CSU (Cancun ballroom)

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:19 am

I was thinking the game had a chance to get out of hand.

It already has.

And it has nothing to do with CSU's youth and inexperience.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Damage » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:26 pm

If CSU wasn't shooting below the mendoza line, they would have hung in there. Terrible ending to what was a somewhat close game at the half.
"I must be cruel only to be kind;
Thus bad begins, and worse remains behind."
Damage

Favorite Player: Terrell Brandon
Least Favorite Player: Joe Table

Unread postby WarAdmiral » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:57 pm

Damage wrote:If CSU wasn't shooting below the mendoza line, they would have hung in there. Terrible ending to what was a somewhat close game at the half.

Cats have to much down low. The experienced guard play, just wasn't enough to keep them in it. I am a UK fan, who pulls hard for CSU, so it wasn't funnest of games for me. I wanted UK to win, but also wanted to see CSU play with them. I haven't seen a UK team this loaded in over 10 years. If they ever hit on all cylinders, they will be hard to beat come March.

I also think, this CSU team, could be a top 35 team by March. They have some good pieces, and I wouldn't undersell them, from just today's performance. The lack of experience bigs, will put them in some mismatches throughout the year, but I believe Waters will get it done, and have them playing well by next year, but the Horizon is one tough league, so his work is cut out for him.

Looking at Lunardi's initial bracket, only one team is getting in from the Horizon. It will take a tourney upset of Butler to get two in, and CSU will have to get in like last year, but with so many upsets, maybe some more mid majors sneak in outside the auto bids. It will be interesting to follow and I am looking forward to the plethora of games during this upcoming holiday weekend.
WarAdmiral

Unread postby jack_tors » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:54 am

WarAdmiral wrote:
Damage wrote:If CSU wasn't shooting below the mendoza line, they would have hung in there. Terrible ending to what was a somewhat close game at the half.

Cats have to much down low. The experienced guard play, just wasn't enough to keep them in it. I am a UK fan, who pulls hard for CSU, so it wasn't funnest of games for me. I wanted UK to win, but also wanted to see CSU play with them. I haven't seen a UK team this loaded in over 10 years. If they ever hit on all cylinders, they will be hard to beat come March.

I also think, this CSU team, could be a top 35 team by March. They have some good pieces, and I wouldn't undersell them, from just today's performance. The lack of experience bigs, will put them in some mismatches throughout the year, but I believe Waters will get it done, and have them playing well by next year, but the Horizon is one tough league, so his work is cut out for him.

Looking at Lunardi's initial bracket, only one team is getting in from the Horizon. It will take a tourney upset of Butler to get two in, and CSU will have to get in like last year, but with so many upsets, maybe some more mid majors sneak in outside the auto bids. It will be interesting to follow and I am looking forward to the plethora of games during this upcoming holiday weekend.

Nice take, War. I agree, just adding that if CSU wouldnt have shot so many awful, 5 feet beyond the line 3's and some of those layups/close shots that werent blocked went in, the game would have been closer. I had little hope they would pull off the upset but they definitely didnt play as good as their talent level. Thats taking nothing away from UK, that team is loaded and their front line is so big yet so athletic. Calipari will have that team in the top 5 all year.

This is the deepest CSU team I have ever seen (too young for 1986) and as Waters pointed out, give them some time early in the year as they learn the system. I expect a lot from them in Jan, Feb, and March.
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby WarAdmiral » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:23 am

That 86 team was full of chemistry. Their system matched the roster 1-12. One of my fondest experiences of following athletics was following that bunch. I am a diehard Cat fan, and have experienced three national championships as a fan, but I warm up inside, thinking about that one season. Damn Refs.

I love the guards, and CSU is deep as hell there. They got ball handlers, shooters, drivers, and a handful of them that can contribute and play defense as well. We don't know what there is behind Pogue and Cunningham. There is a couple kids with some size, but what these kids can bring, is to be determined.

Pogue has a lot of potential. He has good hands, and is ox strong, but he will be overmatched by quicker offensive big men, which means cheap fouls, and foul problems will develop IMO. Which will push the defense out, taking good looks from the shooters, and also making successful post feeds, less productive. It is imperative that one of those bigs on the bench steps up to fill a role offensively, to at least present enough threat, to be paid attention to. That will be the key to how well they do over the season IMO.

Trying to find out if they are playing on TV today against Virginia.

Edit: It looks like it will be on 613 at 7:00 p.m., cbs cs
WarAdmiral

Return to College Sports Arena