Text Size

College Sports Arena

All-Big Ten teams announced

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

All-Big Ten teams announced

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:41 pm

http://www.bigten.org/sports/m-footbl/s ... 09aag.html

Greg Jones Defensive POY (media) Jared Odrick Def. POY(coaches)

John Clay (Off. POY)

Kirk Ferentz - Coach of Year

Coaches voted exactly ONE player from the outright conference champions to the first team (Kurt Coleman)

Media pick Coleman and Justin Boren on 1st team

Homan, Heyward, Gibson make second team on both squads....Saine picked second team by coaches.

The anti-Tressel forces will have no problem with this, but there is certainly some incongruity here...

Tressel has won the conference SIX times in nine years...and he has NEVER been named Coach of the Year...so it must be that he is doing it with mirrors?...or with superior talent to what the other teams have, right?

If so, why does he have only one 1st team all-conference player?

Iowa had SEVEN 1st teamers, Penn State SIX....yet Tressel beat them both....but he's not the best coach in the conference..

I get it.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Re: All-Big Ten teams announced

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:08 am

How Heyward and probably Gibson are left off of 1st team is a tramashamockery.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby onlyindreams » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:54 am

Heyward got screwed. Larrimore would've been on there if he didn't get injured. It says something when the most talented team in the conference has 2 people make the first team. I guess some of it has to do with the youth of the talent, and some of it has to do with the coaching staff's inability to use the talent.
onlyindreams

Favorite Player: Browns Backup QB
Least Favorite Player: Browns Starting QB

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:42 am

My beef with the picks is not so much that I think there were clearly OSU players that deserved to be 1st team over those that were selected (although I don't think there were three linebackers in the Big Ten that had better seasons than Ross Homan...I'll take Homan over Pat Angerer every day of the week and twice on Sundays).

The point that the OSU talent was fairly young this season is well made. I don't even have a problem with Gibson or Heyward not making 1st team. There were so many excellent DL's in the conference this year, and it would be silly not to consider Schofield, Clayborn, Graham, Wootten, Odrick to be just as qualified as our guys.

So much of these awards...especially with linebackers...is caught up in tackle numbers, where Angerer and Jones were the clear conference leaders. Obviously, neither of those guys had Brian Rolle (or Spitler or Hines) playing next to them, or a DL like OSU's in front of them making more tackles than most DL's make.

...it's more the consistent dissing of Tressel over a decade of excellence that I object to....maybe not so much this year as in other years. This year, it's reasonable to say that Ferentz did more with less (does anybody really think he had more talent than OSU, even with 7 1st teamers versus one?). My own opinion of Ferentz as a coach definitely went up a couple notches this season.

But you can't have it both ways....implying JT underachieves based on the talent he has....and then both fail to recognize that talent, AND ignore the manifest achievements of six titles in nine years.

You see...only WE are permitted to point out Tressel's flaws as a coach. It's not fair when other people do it.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:26 pm

I wish Ralph Bolden and Joey Elliot would have gotten more love.

Sure, they finished on a team that was 5-7, but, I don't think that was any fault of their own, just some bad breaks hit them at the wrong time

Elliot, call me crazy could very well have a future in the NFL, maybe not as a starter right off the bat, but I'd love to see someone like the Browns give him a chance (after we'd fire Mangini of course)
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby swerb » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:48 pm

wiz1001 wrote:My beef with the picks is not so much that I think there were clearly OSU players that deserved to be 1st team over those that were selected (although I don't think there were three linebackers in the Big Ten that had better seasons than Ross Homan...I'll take Homan over Pat Angerer every day of the week and twice on Sundays).

The point that the OSU talent was fairly young this season is well made. I don't even have a problem with Gibson or Heyward not making 1st team. There were so many excellent DL's in the conference this year, and it would be silly not to consider Schofield, Clayborn, Graham, Wootten, Odrick to be just as qualified as our guys.

So much of these awards...especially with linebackers...is caught up in tackle numbers, where Angerer and Jones were the clear conference leaders. Obviously, neither of those guys had Brian Rolle (or Spitler or Hines) playing next to them, or a DL like OSU's in front of them making more tackles than most DL's make.

...it's more the consistent dissing of Tressel over a decade of excellence that I object to....maybe not so much this year as in other years. This year, it's reasonable to say that Ferentz did more with less (does anybody really think he had more talent than OSU, even with 7 1st teamers versus one?). My own opinion of Ferentz as a coach definitely went up a couple notches this season.

But you can't have it both ways....implying JT underachieves based on the talent he has....and then both fail to recognize that talent, AND ignore the manifest achievements of six titles in nine years.

You see...only WE are permitted to point out Tressel's flaws as a coach. It's not fair when other people do it.

Rack it! Great take Dan. Saved me some keystrokes.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Return to College Sports Arena