Text Size

College Sports Arena

What A Game, Bucks Fend Off Xavier

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

What A Game, Bucks Fend Off Xavier

Unread postby swerb » Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:29 pm

Just in case you needed a reason to start drinking at 2 PM on St Pattys Day, todays Buckeyes game surely gave you one.

Luckily I don't ... that was tough enough to endure with the edge off.

Fuckin Ron Lewis ... what a game, what a shot. 7 of the Buckeyes 1st 9 to get them going. Ending up with 27. Conley taking over with Oden fouled out for OT, scoring the first 7 points.

Just a maddening game through the first 38 minutes though. The Buckeyes refusal to get Oden the ball in the post. That little shit Lavendar hitting prayers and getting his hands on steals. The 4-5 teardrop runners and bankers that went in and out on Conley. Jamar and Daequan unable to knock down anything in the 2nd half. The Buckeyes doing exactly what we all begged them not to do, which we knew would make them vulnerable to an upset. Relying on outside shots, ignoring the big fella after he missed his first 4 shots.

And that poor bastard Cage from Xavier. Such a good game, so many daggers. Misses that FT to open the door for the Ronnie Lewis shiv to the aorta.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Guest » Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:34 pm

Holy Shit!
What a game.

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:35 pm

WOW!

These are the games that teams that go on championship runs win.

Watch out now b/c this could make the Buckeyes that much more difficult to beat.

Although I do question what Thad was doing when he didn't throw the ball into Oden for about 7 straight minutes in the middle of that second half.

AS a fan you gotta just take those escape wins sometimes.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Guest » Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:36 pm

I'll take a W anyway.

Unread postby swerb » Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:45 pm

Game even pushed. I had already mentally detached myself from the $50 I bet on em with about 6 minutes left.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:19 pm

I had 7.5 for $20
I'll gladly pay it for the win

Unread postby leadpipe » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:24 pm

Great game. Hopefully Lewis Tyus Ednied the Bucks into the finals.

I do have to air one year long Buckeye gripe. Which is, if you are going to put all the defensive responsibilty on Oden (with that 2-3 zone, and all the liberties he allows other defenders) at least give the guy the damn ball when he runs the floor in transition. I've lost track of the times he's got himself in a great position by busting ass down the floor only to watch someone launch a 22 footer. During the last two Wisconsin games you could actually hear the crowd murmur when they failed to get him the ball. He's controlling the D, you gotta reward him for running the floor.

Lastly, Gus Johnson is a classic college basketball announcer.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby swerb » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:44 pm

Lead Pipe wrote:Great game. Hopefully Lewis Tyus Ednied the Bucks into the finals.

I do have to air one year long Buckeye gripe. Which is, if you are going to put all the defensive responsibilty on Oden (with that 2-3 zone, and all the liberties he allows other defenders) at least give the guy the damn ball when he runs the floor in transition. I've lost track of the times he's got himself in a great position by busting ass down the floor only to watch someone launch a 22 footer. During the last two Wisconsin games you could actually hear the crowd murmur when they failed to get him the ball. He's controlling the D, you gotta reward him for running the floor.

Lastly, Gus Johnson is a classic college basketball announcer.

Great points on both counts.

It looked like Oden basically threw his hands in the air at one point with 2-3 minutes left. As you said, working hard on the defensive end, only to bust his ass down court only to be ignored as Butler heaved a 26 footer. There were like 2-3 possessions in a row where he just set screens at the top of the key and hung there.

Also, Oden's conditioning appears to be a little behind still. He just looks dead tired at the ends of games. Even in the Dance, where the array of TV timeouts really breaks the game up, and allows for alot of rest.

And Gus Johnson called a helluva game. His call on Lewis's dagger at the end of regulation was epic.

"Conley, five to go. To Lewis, who's been awesome ... let's it go .... OHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! THIS is March Madness!!"
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:56 pm

Just about every year, the eventual champion has one game they had to pull out late and win to stay alive. Hopefully this stays true with the Bucks.

I still have to say, I am not that impressed with Oden. Guy is talented, but not all that as far as the hype goes. I get that he is still coming back from injury, but I still don't see a dominating player at all. A good rebounder and shot blocker, but if right now his offensive ability makes him Dikembe Mutumbo at the next level. I have not seen much offensive ability from him yet. Yes, part of it is the injury and the team practically avoiding him at times.....but that Hansborough (sp) kid at UNC is better and of course Durant in Texas.

Oden needs to stay another year and develop his game. He won't, but that it what he needs to do.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:08 am

but that Hansborough (sp) kid at UNC is better and of course Durant in Texas.

True, but if you notice Hansbro benefits from a better team concept with the post game and also he gets many of his points from the line and from garbage as well. He may get a few more points than Oden from true post ups moves but it is only a few.

Durant has a total different skill set and therefore has a HUGE advantage as far as a stat line that all us fans might see the day after without watching the game.

I will agree Oden is not quite as impressive as one would think with the hype but he has plenty of the foundations for a future dominating big man.

The game of college basketball is as much the reason for his lack of dominance as anything else.

Oden doesn't need much more size to compete at the next level, he is already 275. The opposition will not have the luxury of sending 2-3 guys at him at the next level, the game is too different and in the NBA they make you pay for that.

IMO he will not be an immediate impact they make him out to be but he will be serviceable (very much so on the defensive end) and in his third year he could be very developed and dangerous.

Seriously how many legit centers will be in the NBA in 4 years? Probably Yao and that is it.

FUDU

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:21 am

There isn't one NBA team that would think of taking Hansborough over Oden. Not for a second. A few points.

1. You can't underestimate the ONE HAND deal. He has had to live on that half-hook. Next year when 100% healthy you will see a ton of drop steps off the fake hook as well as a spot up 12 foot jumper.

2. Not only does OSU ignore him in transition, they ran little thru him during the year. I'm sure it had much to do with his health, but it was still a reality.

3. His footwork is EXCELLENT. This is a big difference in 10 and 20 point scorers at the next level.

4. He will fill-out more and will be more physical from a body and health standpoint

5. He is going to shoot free throws pretty well

6. Comparing he and Durant is apples and oranges. Durant will be in the post in the NBA a few more times than Oden will be at the two. Durant will be a swingman on offense.

7. Again, we are talking about a big ten season with one wrist. HIS SKILL WRIST. He will be a 20 point scorer in the NBA. Easily.

8. You don't see a dominating player at all? Have you watched how whole game plans change based on whether he's in the game or not.(including today) The Bucks simply don't even think of double teaming the front court because of his presence. He's the most dominating defensive player in college hoops...

And, the whole stay one more year to develop your game.... If you are the number one pick you go. GO GO GO. Why would you not allow someone to pay for your development? We're talking one signature on a dotted line that sets you up for life. You have to go.
Last edited by leadpipe on Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Guest » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:26 am

I think Gus Johnson is horrible.
He got just as crazy on a shot when it was 10-8 as he does for a game winner.

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:31 am

That's why I like him. His excitement is genuine, not manufactured. And, most importantly, he comes into these games with his homework done.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby furls » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:44 am

I get that he is still coming back from injury, but I still don't see a dominating player at all. A good rebounder and shot blocker, but if right now his offensive ability makes him Dikembe Mutumbo at the next level. I have not seen much offensive ability from him yet. Yes, part of it is the injury

Dude, go outside and play basketball with your offhand. Now go to your local gym and run with the A gang... with your off hand. Nearly every move you see him make with his left hand is something he has learned in the last 6 months. It is actually quite amazing that he is even this good.

His offense has improved incredibly over the last couple of months as his right hand is getting better, but he still is not even close to right with that hand.

Now, look around the league and list every good 5. I am not talking about Tim Duncan, he is a 4.5. Name the centers. There just aren't many. If you read stat lines, and stat lines only then you draft Durant first, but frankly, Durant's skill set in the NBA is not nearly as unique as Oden's. Big man who basically, completely shuts down the paint? THere aren't many of those.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby swerb » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:35 am

I still have to say, I am not that impressed with Oden. Guy is talented, but not all that as far as the hype goes. I get that he is still coming back from injury, but I still don't see a dominating player at all. A good rebounder and shot blocker, but if right now his offensive ability makes him Dikembe Mutumbo at the next level. I have not seen much offensive ability from him yet. Yes, part of it is the injury and the team practically avoiding him at times.....but that Hansborough (sp) kid at UNC is better and of course Durant in Texas.

Consig, I can't even begin to demoralize that post.

Not dominating? The best defensive player in college hoops? Dude takes about 9% off opponents FG% and wreaks havoc with game plans.

Tyler Hansbrough. Dude had a good game last night, but will be Troy Murphy if hes lucky at the next level. Oden will be 1st team all-defense as a rookie, 20 and 12 by age 21, and an All-Star for decades.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Dozen » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:15 am

I still have to say, I am not that impressed with Oden. Guy is talented, but not all that as far as the hype goes.

Did you see any of the Big10 tourney? Everyones entitiled to their own opinion but Christ, do you watch this team enough to make that judgement?
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:08 pm

Consig, Oden gets doubled and tripled a lot, heck opposing coaches have his entire team keeping their peripheral vision focused on this kid on offense.

Then on D, forget about it. As already mentioned, he changes entire game plans and good ball players are losing confidence while on the floor against the Buckeyes b/c he makes them less dimensional by taking away virtually all hope of getting within 3-4 feet of the rim.

I agree he doesn't seem like all that when you look at that stat sheets but when you take into consideration the double teaming, hacking and the college game itself, this game is all about guards and 3's offensively for coaches, he comes out looking quite impressive...especially when you consider he still is not 100%.

FUDU

Unread postby consigliere » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:16 pm

Wow. Just an opinion guys. Sheesh. :-) :smile: :)

Seriously, I definitely DO see the hype when it comes to defense. Guy is awesome. But, I just have not seen anything on the offensive end in the 10-12 games I have watched this year that says he will be a dominating offensive player as well. Maybe the Mutumbo comp was harsh, but right now he looks like Ben Wallace with some additional O to his game to me.
consigliere

Unread postby Dozen » Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:33 pm

He dominated the BIG10 tourney and I think he's capable of doing it from here on out of the NCAA TOURNEY.
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby mswerb » Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:42 pm

After yesterday's game I got to thinking. Are the Buckeyes overrated as a #1 seed, or did they just stumble a bit?
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:06 am

Consigliere wrote:Wow. Just an opinion guys. Sheesh. :-) :smile: :)

Seriously, I definitely DO see the hype when it comes to defense. Guy is awesome. But, I just have not seen anything on the offensive end in the 10-12 games I have watched this year that says he will be a dominating offensive player as well. Maybe the Mutumbo comp was harsh, but right now he looks like Ben Wallace with some additional O to his game to me.

If you're Ben Wallace with offense, aren't you in the hall of fame?
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby consigliere » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:47 am

Lead Pipe wrote:If you're Ben Wallace with offense, aren't you in the hall of fame?

Note that I said "some" offense. :mrgreen:

I'm just not seeing it where this guy is a 20 point a game night player in the NBA. Hey, wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. :eek: :o :-o
consigliere

Unread postby swerb » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:48 pm

Pretty good Sports Guy take on Gus Johnson ...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/bl ... me=simmons
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Return to College Sports Arena