Text Size

College Sports Arena

BCS Bowls starting to come into focus

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

BCS Bowls starting to come into focus

Unread postby swerb » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:15 pm

Texas with just Kansas, A&M, and likely Nebraska in the Big 12 title game left. They win out and play the winner of the SEC for the title. Other SEC team goes to the Sugar to likely play TCU or Boise. Rose is OSU vs Oregon/Zona. Ga Tech wins the ACC and likely plays the winner of the Big East. Orange has first at large pick ... they likely take an unbeaten Cinci, maybe not Pitt if they win though. Not a lot of sexy at large this year though. USC down, ND sucks, Penn State weak, Iowa ... maybe. Stanford or Oregon/Zona wont draw well to Miami. Fiesta the real wild card. Lose Texas and will have to pick two at larges from all the mediocre crap left.

NC Game - Florida/Bama vs Texas
Orange - Ga Tech vs Cincinnati/Pitt
Fiesta - ??? Pitt, Boise, LSU, Iowa, Stanford
Sugar - Florida/Bama vs TCU/Boise
Rose - Ohio State vs Oregon/Arizona
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: BCS Bowls starting to come into focus

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:12 pm

Imagine the rating for a Ga.Tech vs UC or Pitt.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:22 am

TCU beats Florida.

Besides, how could one not root for the Horned Frogs?
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:28 am

Funny how TCU had to leave big-time college football to become a big-time program. They were a doormat in the SWC for years. I wonder if Baylor ever looks at TCU's success in the non-BCS conferences and wonders if they didn't make a mistake joining the Big 12?
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby BruceK » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:49 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Besides, how could one not root for the Horned Frogs?

Hell, it will be just like the good ol' days with Billy Clyde Puckett and Shake Tiller.
BruceK
BJKResearch.com

Favorite Player: Reggie Dunlop
Least Favorite Player: Ogie Oglethorpe

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:11 pm

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/stewart_mandel/11/15/bowl.projections/index.html?eref=sihp

Would much rather see TCU stomp the Gators - but some interesting matchups. Penn State vs. LSU very nice, as is Whisky vs. Tennessee.
mattvan1

Unread postby swerb » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:17 pm

mattvan1 wrote:http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/stewart_mandel/11/15/bowl.projections/index.html?eref=sihp

Would much rather see TCU stomp the Gators - but some interesting matchups. Penn State vs. LSU very nice, as is Whisky vs. Tennessee.

Looking like those two games will be the appetizer to the 4:30 Rose Bowl feast on Jan 1.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:31 pm

Swerb wrote:Texas with just Kansas, A&M, and likely Nebraska in the Big 12 title game left. They win out and play the winner of the SEC for the title. Other SEC team goes to the Sugar to likely play TCU or Boise. Rose is OSU vs Oregon/Zona. Ga Tech wins the ACC and likely plays the winner of the Big East. Orange has first at large pick ... they likely take an unbeaten Cinci, maybe not Pitt if they win though. Not a lot of sexy at large this year though. USC down, ND sucks, Penn State weak, Iowa ... maybe. Stanford or Oregon/Zona wont draw well to Miami. Fiesta the real wild card. Lose Texas and will have to pick two at larges from all the mediocre crap left.

Swerb, isn't Oregon St just as much if not more of a threat to win the Pacten?
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby swerb » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:38 pm

JCoz wrote:
Swerb wrote:Texas with just Kansas, A&M, and likely Nebraska in the Big 12 title game left. They win out and play the winner of the SEC for the title. Other SEC team goes to the Sugar to likely play TCU or Boise. Rose is OSU vs Oregon/Zona. Ga Tech wins the ACC and likely plays the winner of the Big East. Orange has first at large pick ... they likely take an unbeaten Cinci, maybe not Pitt if they win though. Not a lot of sexy at large this year though. USC down, ND sucks, Penn State weak, Iowa ... maybe. Stanford or Oregon/Zona wont draw well to Miami. Fiesta the real wild card. Lose Texas and will have to pick two at larges from all the mediocre crap left.

Swerb, isn't Oregon St just as much if not more of a threat to win the Pacten?

They are. I posted that before I thoroughly read through and understood the nature of the Pac 10 chase.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby dmiles » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:25 pm

I really don't care who wins what I want to do, is go to the damn thing. Who travels the poorest of Oreg/OregSU for instance? I've never been to Buckeye game and passing this up would be criminal.

Anyone here been to a Rose Bowl? My pastor for some reason is really close with Mike Riley, I am guessing when he was in the San Diego area he must have attended our church, but I can't see getting tickets like that. I also have some good friends that both went to Oreg. St. but you can't really bug them because you want to be sitting in the Buckeye section.

Some USC fan told me they ended getting some tickets for about $150 apiece last season. Buying for 4 that's about my upper limit, maybe $200. Also I think I'll bug some folks and try to figure out where the OSU groups will be tailgating. I don't know shite about Pasadena.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:12 pm

SI Updates the bowl picture....6 days to go until everything is finalized.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/stewart_mandel/11/29/bowl.projections/index.html
mattvan1

Unread postby Toxicadam » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:05 am

Central Michigan deserves someone better than Notre Dame. TCU deserves someone better than Georgia Tech.
Toxicadam

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:08 am

If 'Bama upset FLA this week, a FLA-CIN matchup would be awesome. Then again, it could be a FLA rout. We'd see pretty quick how "for real" CIN is.

Iowa-Boise is not what I'd want to see. Let TCU and BSU fight for BCS bragging rights as a non-BCS conference.

A Houston-Arkansas matchup would rack up some seriously sick passing totals.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby dmiles » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:06 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:If 'Bama upset FLA this week, a FLA-CIN matchup would be awesome. Then again, it could be a FLA rout. We'd see pretty quick how "for real" CIN is.

Iowa-Boise is not what I'd want to see. Let TCU and BSU fight for BCS bragging rights as a non-BCS conference.

A rematch of last year's Poinsettia Bowl?
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:40 am

dmiles wrote:
Skating Tripods wrote:If 'Bama upset FLA this week, a FLA-CIN matchup would be awesome. Then again, it could be a FLA rout. We'd see pretty quick how "for real" CIN is.

A rematch of last year's Poinsettia Bowl?

Yeah, why not? Both programs are going to talk about BCS respect. Let them play again in a BCS Bowl.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby fundamentals » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:52 am

Why do I get the feeling Cincy is going to get beat by Pittsburgh?
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby aoxo1 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:04 pm

dmiles wrote:I really don't care who wins what I want to do, is go to the damn thing. Who travels the poorest of Oreg/OregSU for instance? I've never been to Buckeye game and passing this up would be criminal.

Anyone here been to a Rose Bowl? My pastor for some reason is really close with Mike Riley, I am guessing when he was in the San Diego area he must have attended our church, but I can't see getting tickets like that. I also have some good friends that both went to Oreg. St. but you can't really bug them because you want to be sitting in the Buckeye section.

Some USC fan told me they ended getting some tickets for about $150 apiece last season. Buying for 4 that's about my upper limit, maybe $200. Also I think I'll bug some folks and try to figure out where the OSU groups will be tailgating. I don't know shite about Pasadena.

I think the general rule is you can scalp tickets for around face value if you wait until just before kickoff or even afterwards, as long as it isn't the NC game. Might be different if it was USC playing in the Rose Bowl, but since it isn't I would expect it won't be a problem.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:24 pm

Disagree on TCU Boise - would hate to see them play one another. That would be a big non-event for me. TCU wins and people say - "they just beat Boise, so what?" Really want to TCU against the SEC Chapionship game loser. Same for Boise - playing another relative no name (TCU) is feh. Give them a shot against the B12 runner up and let's see what happens.
mattvan1

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:12 pm

While I think it would make for great viewing it would ultimately prove nothing IMO, as matt said IIRC.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby furls » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:16 am

I have a feeling that the fiesta would be more apt to take PSU over Iowa. No real data here, it is just brand recognition. These games are about money and ratings... PSU > Iowa (although Iowa does travel well).
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:59 am

FUDU wrote:
While I think it would make for great viewing it would ultimately prove nothing IMO, as matt said IIRC.

Valid point.

I guess it would make more sense to see TCU play Alabama/Florida to see how for real they really are.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Return to College Sports Arena