Text Size

College Sports Arena

Ohio State v Iowa

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: Ohio State v Iowa

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:43 pm

JT you better start blowin that kid.

Idiot.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby bks92II » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:50 pm

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:
Long live the King...In Cleveland
bks92II

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: NY,BOS,MICH,PITT

Unread postby papacass » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:52 pm

That was a Tressel win.

1. Don't turn the ball over
2. Don't turn the ball over
3. Don't turn the ball over
4. Don't turn the ball over
5. Don't turn the ball over
6. Use the kicker
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby bks92II » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:55 pm

Papa Cass wrote:That was a Tressel win.

6. Use the kicker

You forgot 7

7. Have a punter ready for 4 and 1
Long live the King...In Cleveland
bks92II

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: NY,BOS,MICH,PITT

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:06 pm

Papa Cass wrote:That was a Tressel win.

6. Use the kicker

corection a Tressel escape.
He was doing fine most of the game, some typical play calling for too many runs without a pass, but all in all OK...untill the last 5-6 minutes. He simply became an idiot, as he seems to do way too often.

We out played Iowa throughout but we didn't deserve to win as the end progressed.

FUDU

Unread postby swerb » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:10 pm

Whew

Three parts mentally and emotionally exhausted, two parts exhilirated.

Michigan next week and then the Rose Bowl. God damn is it great to be a Buckeye fan.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:21 pm

Boy, it seemed like they did everything possible to lose that game down the stretch... except lose it. Didn't get pressure on the quarterback, gave up big plays downfield (Chekwa was HORRIBLE today), horrible special teams, bad breaks... but they still won it.

Give the DL credit for finally getting some heat on Vandenburg in OT, give the offense credit for not turning the ball over.

Rose Bowl baby!
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby angrybeaver » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:30 pm

HOW MANY TIMES DID THEY NEED TO SHOW STANZI OR VANDENBURG'S MOM??? JFC.

But it doesn't matter. Rose Bowl!!! :cheers: :woot: :nanner:
jack_tors, on rude treatment by Browns fans vs. Pitt 12/11/09 wrote:"Yeah, she is right, that kind of treatment would NEVER happen in Pittsburgh. I have been there, its so full of culture I thought I was in Paris or Milan."

angrybeaver

Favorite Player: Joe Thomas
Least Favorite Player: anti-Big 10/SV crowd

Unread postby swerb » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:34 pm

I was loving Vandenburg's mom personally. Shades of Colt McCoy's mom from last year's Fiesta Bowl.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:56 pm

HermanFontenot wrote:Boy, it seemed like they did everything possible to lose that game down the stretch... except lose it. Didn't get pressure on the quarterback, gave up big plays downfield (Chekwa was HORRIBLE today), horrible special teams, bad breaks... but they still won it.

Give the DL credit for finally getting some heat on Vandenburg in OT, give the offense credit for not turning the ball over.

Rose Bowl baby!

Chekwa has been a disappointment this season. Worthington has not. That sack in OT was glorious. He's really grown on me. If you would have told me a year ago he'd graduate as one of my favorite Buckeyes, I would have laughed at you. And Homan. Freaking Homan. Also, The Forgotten Man, Anderson Russell with 2 INTS. Iowa OL played very well today keeping our DL at bay.

And our OL ... can't say enough about the job they did today. Kept Iowa off TP, and we rang up like 225 on the ground against a very stingy Iowa run defense. Pryor .. no mistakes again. People are gonna slaughter JT for the conservative approcach, but think about the fact we've gone three games with no turnovers with TP at the helm. You wanna destroy the Tressel ultra conservative approach, at least acknowledge that it's yielding the results he wants. No turnovers and wins. Iowa don't take that kick back, we salt away a 24-10 or 31-10 win ... no one says shit.

Rose Bowl baby.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby tired » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:12 pm

OhiO State might want to find a punter next year. He kept Iowa in the game IMO. Dropped t.d. catch in endzone and missed field goal lost the game for Iowa. I will be optimystic with the buckeye's untill Terrelle can be consistant. Altho I don't recall 1 deep throw. Cordle got burnt like a blundt all game. Just drunk venting sorry !!!
Going blind, out of reach, somewhere in the vasoline.
tired

Favorite Player: Josh Cribbs
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:15 pm

Hard to fault Tresssel's conservative approach today. Iowa's secondary is a lot better than Penn State's; the Hawkeyes led the nation in INT's going into today and were at or near the top in the same category last season. With Ohio State in the lead most of the way and having success on the ground there was no real reason to go downfield.

Ferentz really spit the bit at the end of regulation IMO. You’re on the road against an arguably superior team, you’ve got a chance to go to the Rose Bowl, your quarterback just went 5-for-5 on his last possession, and you’re in decent field position. Take a shot downfield, play to win for crying out loud. I was actually pretty relieved when Iowa played for OT.

Worthington REALLY stepped up in OT. I was with you Rich- I wasn’t his biggest fan either. He’s had a great senior year. Actually, he clearly got held on the first play of OT before his sack.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:19 pm

Ok, That was some super conservative play calling. The drive that ended in the missed FG, was a fucking embarrassment. Running Herron up the middle 100 times, wasn't fooiling Iowa. And why wasn't Saine in there more? I didn't understand that or the total abandonment of the passing game.

It was a fun game to be at, nice to see the fans storm the field.

Oh btw, was Williams offsides on that Thad Gibson TD? I couldn't tell.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:22 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Oh btw, was Williams offsides on that Thad Gibson TD? I couldn't tell.

Yeah, he was. Shame of it was it had nothing to do with the way the play went down.

Weird game. The awful punting, the front four getting neutralized, the secondary getting bombed, the kickoff return touchdown, that pass on Iowa’s last TD drive that Moeaki somehow caught on the deflection… just a lot of atypical stuff.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Unread postby swerb » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:25 pm

The last couple years, to me, Worthington was kind of the face of what was a disappointing and underachieving defensive line. Was a big time recruit/prospect, he never really put it together, occasionally flashed his significant talent, but inconsistent and underachieved in my eyes.

This year Worthington has been consistently excellent, both against the run and also getting QB pressure up the gut. And so has the DL.

I think he's played himself into a mid round pick at the worst ... wouldn't surprise me to see him go as high as rd 2. He'll play on Sundays.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby JCoz » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:19 am

Only issue I have tonight was the one 3rd down call on the missed field goal late in the 4th, and the fucking unbelievable decision to ever put Jim Cordle at LT. People bitching about the lack of passing game are out of thier minds. Pryor is only a few games removed from 5 TO's.... against this secondary? would have been fucking idiotic to throw the ball, particularly how we ran it tonight.

I literally HATE Jim Cordle at tackle. I don't think I have ever hated a Buckeye like I hate him at LT. I didn't even like him at center. He was a shitty center, a below average guard, and the worst LT I have ever seen in Division 1 football. Right now I'm especially hating the coaches for continuing that abortion that is the idea of him playing LT. Fuck, after Purdue, I just cannot fucking understand that. WTF could they possibly be thinking? And I am pretty much a company man here, I rarely criticize their decisions...but this is GD ridiculous.

Game balls for everyone besides Chekwa and Jim Cordle, and whatever fucking coach that thinks he can play tackle at this level.

Rose Bowl baby. Leave Jimmy at home.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby projectmayhem » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:59 am

People bitching about the lack of passing game are out of thier minds. Pryor is only a few games removed from 5 TO's.... against this secondary? would have been fucking idiotic to throw the ball, particularly how we ran it tonight.

I agree...

Was at the game and people in my section kept wondering why we were running it up the middle every play,.. every time they muttered something I'd look up at the scoreboard and see the huge amount of rushing yards we had, and just shake my head... ended up with a 4.5 yard per rush average... should have run even more...
projectmayhem

Favorite Player: Grady Sizemore
Least Favorite Player: Tim Tebow

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:17 am

HermanFontenot wrote:Hard to fault Tresssel's conservative approach today. Iowa's secondary is a lot better than Penn State's; the Hawkeyes led the nation in INT's going into today and were at or near the top in the same category last season. With Ohio State in the lead most of the way and having success on the ground there was no real reason to go downfield.

Ferentz really spit the bit at the end of regulation IMO. You’re on the road against an arguably superior team, you’ve got a chance to go to the Rose Bowl, your quarterback just went 5-for-5 on his last possession, and you’re in decent field position. Take a shot downfield, play to win for crying out loud. I was actually pretty relieved when Iowa played for OT.

Worthington REALLY stepped up in OT. I was with you Rich- I wasn’t his biggest fan either. He’s had a great senior year. Actually, he clearly got held on the first play of OT before his sack.

Today's conservative attack by JT was not typical JT conservatism. He changed his style in the middle of this game. He went over board with his own approach, it should of cost him and would have against the type of teams we've had our asses handed to us by in the past 3 - 4 years.

That is the problem with JT, his style gets excused and over looked b/c of how weak his conference is anymore. You put his constant coaching style up against a series of teams from the SEC and people would be screaming for his head every week. JT is a great guy, very good recruiter and solid coach but lacks a certain game day coaching edge that would get him creamed against a conference full of solid to good teams or one with just one equal.

Yeah he has gotten OSU 5 straight titles in the Big Ten but it is no different than Z being considered a good center for the past 6 years....by default.

FUDU

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:13 pm

FUDU wrote:
HermanFontenot wrote:Hard to fault Tresssel's conservative approach today. Iowa's secondary is a lot better than Penn State's; the Hawkeyes led the nation in INT's going into today and were at or near the top in the same category last season. With Ohio State in the lead most of the way and having success on the ground there was no real reason to go downfield.

Today's conservative attack by JT was not typical JT conservatism. He changed his style in the middle of this game. He went over board with his own approach, it should of cost him and would have against the type of teams we've had our asses handed to us by in the past 3 - 4 years.

That is the problem with JT, his style gets excused and over looked b/c of how weak his conference is anymore. You put his constant coaching style up against a series of teams from the SEC and people would be screaming for his head every week. JT is a great guy, very good recruiter and solid coach but lacks a certain game day coaching edge that would get him creamed against a conference full of solid to good teams or one with just one equal.

Yeah he has gotten OSU 5 straight titles in the Big Ten but it is no different than Z being considered a good center for the past 6 years....by default.

Leopard, spots, the whole bit. His style isn't overlooked - his style is his style and he's not ever going to change it, no matter how many message board peeps keep banging on him. BTW, The B10 is absolutely no different than B12, BEast, ACC, MW, P10........ All of this B10 is weak nonsense is simply misplaced. Yes, the B10 is now just another conference. Has been for years. May never come back to the level it once was. As are all the other conferences except the SEC. It certainly doesn't help that Michigan blows dead goats, and if you want to say the B10 is softer this year than in years past, fine. But have you looked at the B12 North lately? Child please.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:19 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
FUDU wrote:

Leopard, spots, the whole bit. His style isn't overlooked - his style is his style and he's not ever going to change it, no matter how many message board peeps keep banging on him. BTW, The B10 is absolutely no different than B12, BEast, ACC, MW, P10........ All of this B10 is weak nonsense is simply misplaced. Yes, the B10 is now just another conference. Has been for years. May never come back to the level it once was. As are all the other conferences except the SEC. It certainly doesn't help that Michigan blows dead goats, and if you want to say the B10 is softer this year than in years past, fine. But have you looked at the B12 North lately? Child please.

Hmmm.... the real calendar on my wall says Mid November. This FUDU post screams the second week of January. Maybe he's on a cruise that week after the bowl games?

Wins are wins, losses the opposite. Win the Michigan game and the Rose Bowl the same way and people will be blowing JT again. That there's often such a narrow margin between the two for this team is the issue for some. Maybe rightly so given the talent that they have access to. But like MV says, it ain't changing.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:34 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
Hmmm.... the real calendar on my wall says Mid November. This FUDU post screams the second week of January. Maybe he's on a cruise that week after the bowl games?

Wins are wins, losses the opposite. Win the Michigan game and the Rose Bowl the same way and people will be blowing JT again. That there's often such a narrow margin between the two for this team is the issue for some. Maybe rightly so given the talent that they have access to. But like MV says, it ain't changing.

tOSU would be much better off with a different leader. Someone who is more innovative. Who always has their teams ready to play in all types of games - whether in-conference games or National Championships. Someone with a better pedigree than YSU, maybe some pro experience.

Someone like Bob Stoops. Or maybe Pete Carroll.

What's that?

Oh, nevermind then.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:50 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:

tOSU would be much better off with a different leader. Someone who is more innovative. Who always has their teams ready to play in all types of games - whether in-conference games or National Championships. Someone with a better pedigree than YSU, maybe some pro experience.

Someone like Bob Stoops. Or maybe Pete Carroll.

What's that?

Oh, nevermind then.

Is it now that we mention Urban Meyer is from Ashtabula and when we throw out the name of this year's up and comer like Brian Kelly?

I guess the timing has me off my game a bit.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:59 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
FUDU wrote:

The difference with a conf like the Big 12 is they at least have legitimacy on one side of the ball throughout the conf for the most part. The Big Ten really doesn't, they have a few teams with decent D and a couple teams with decent O, that's it. None with both really, maybe one tops.

I completely understand what you guys are saying about JT, and I am not suggesting the guy get sent packing when there isn't a viable replacement out there ready to take over. Plus yeah I agree about him not losing the games that Pete and Stoops have over the past few years (albeit JT did that this year against Purdue).

I just think his risky style of keeping the opponent around would bite him in the ass way more in a conf like the Big 12 in which they have more consistent fire power every week.

I look at this whole thing with him similar to other things in life like being content with the ways things are even though things could be significantly better. Like a status quo kind of guy who is just happy to be Joe average in his life when he could be so much better with just a little bit more effort or concern.

We have too good a talent year in and year out to not have taken this up a notch when the opportunities arise.

FUDU

Unread postby CTownYaga » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:44 pm

I was at the game and I have to side with everyone who is against the way Tressel played this one. I'm getting sick of this. It's becoming a topic after every big game, though, so further beating of the dead horse is useless.

So I'll see you guys after the Rose Bowl to talk about it in more detail. This shit works against Big Ten teams most of the time, but not halfway decent OOC foes, as we will witness in Pasadena.

*sigh*

That said, great win, I feel good for that Barclay guy, and it was the first time I ever rushed the field. So I won't complain.
CTownYaga

Favorite Player: Brandon Jennings
Least Favorite Player: LeBron James

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:59 pm

CTownYaga wrote:I was at the game and I have to side with everyone who is against the way Tressel played this one. I'm getting sick of this. It's becoming a topic after every big game, though, so further beating of the dead horse is useless.

So I'll see you guys after the Rose Bowl to talk about it in more detail. This shit works against Big Ten teams most of the time, but not halfway decent OOC foes, as we will witness in Pasadena.

*sigh*

That said, great win, I feel good for that Barclay guy, and it was the first time I ever rushed the field. So I won't complain.

No one likes it other than the guy in the vest. And he ain't changing his ways.

Don Coryell ain't walking through that door. ;-) ;) :wink:

Shit, Bruce Arians ain't walking through that door.

Is what it is and will be til he leaves. And there's no reason to push him out the door. That's all I'm saying.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby CTownYaga » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:39 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
CTownYaga wrote:I was at the game and I have to side with everyone who is against the way Tressel played this one. I'm getting sick of this. It's becoming a topic after every big game, though, so further beating of the dead horse is useless.

*sigh*

No one likes it other than the guy in the vest. And he ain't changing his ways.

Don Coryell ain't walking through that door. ;-) ;) :wink:

Shit, Bruce Arians ain't walking through that door.

Is what it is and will be til he leaves. And there's no reason to push him out the door. That's all I'm saying.

Oh I realize that entirely. There is nobody better available so we might as well just suck it up. But we're fans and fans will complain when they think their team isnt being utilized fully to its strengths.

The Rose Bowl will be VERY interesting. Who knows? Maybe JT proves me and everyone else wrong and Tresselball gets us a big win.
CTownYaga

Favorite Player: Brandon Jennings
Least Favorite Player: LeBron James

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:53 pm

FUDU wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:
FUDU wrote:

The difference with a conf like the Big 12 is they at least have legitimacy on one side of the ball throughout the conf for the most part. The Big Ten really doesn't, they have a few teams with decent D and a couple teams with decent O, that's it. None with both really, maybe one tops.

I completely understand what you guys are saying about JT, and I am not suggesting the guy get sent packing when there isn't a viable replacement out there ready to take over. Plus yeah I agree about him not losing the games that Pete and Stoops have over the past few years (albeit JT did that this year against Purdue).

I just think his risky style of keeping the opponent around would bite him in the ass way more in a conf like the Big 12 in which they have more consistent fire power every week.

I look at this whole thing with him similar to other things in life like being content with the ways things are even though things could be significantly better. Like a status quo kind of guy who is just happy to be Joe average in his life when he could be so much better with just a little bit more effort or concern.

We have too good a talent year in and year out to not have taken this up a notch when the opportunities arise.

Part of the reason the Big 12 is legitimate on one side of the ball is because they are a total joke on the other side. One side of the ball does not make a good team. Clearly.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:18 am

FUDU wrote:

FUDU I have no problem listening to criticism, but only for the final 11 minutes of the game. I am adamant about that.

We had 200+ plus yards rushing avg'ing 4.5 per and were up 24-10 against one the finest defenses in the country. Any bitching about play before that point is simply ridiculous.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:27 pm

JCoz wrote:
FUDU wrote:

FUDU I have no problem listening to criticism, but only for the final 11 minutes of the game. I am adamant about that.

We had 200+ plus yards rushing avg'ing 4.5 per and were up 24-10 against one the finest defenses in the country. Any bitching about play before that point is simply ridiculous.

While you are correct and I may have overstated due to my anger of the situation early to mid 3Q JT had some opportunities to do down field and he refused. In a game in which Pryor wasn't playing well I could understand, but Pryor was playing well and making good throws Saturday. If there was ever a game in which you unleash him just a little bit to put a game away it was against Iowa.

The last 5 minutes were ridiculous.

FUDU

Previous

Return to College Sports Arena