Text Size

College Sports Arena

ROSE BOWL!!!

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

ROSE BOWL!!!

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:11 pm

hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: ROSE BOWL!!!

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:47 pm

As a Big Ten honk, I wish the Rose Bowl was more meaningful again, to the point where a Pac 10-Big 10 matchup was guranteed every year regardless :. I had to go see it when I was in LA, and it was simply beautiful. I wish my Boilers would make it back at the very least again, but having my homestate team go is not a bad consolation prize. :).

Fingers crossed, I'm pulling for the Wildcats as the matchup for the Buckeyes, as I like seeing teams go to the Grandaddy who don't normally go. (Michigan V. USC is sort of bland)

Oh and a contribution for this thread.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:54 pm

"If I were John Cooper, I would almost be ready to die." - Vermeil was classic in the booth.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Unread postby swerb » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:28 am

That '97 Rose Bowl ... what a game. One of 15-20 games I've seen in my life where I will remember where I was when I watched it for the rest of my life.

That 96 team ... the drama all year with Stanley Jackson & Germaine. The gut wrenching loss to Michigan to kill the national title hopes. The freaking Orlando Pace pancake blocks, seemingly like 5 or 6 a game. A very memorable season. With a very memorable final game.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:37 am

Those games seem like 25 years ago.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby leadpipe » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:07 am

Swerb wrote:That '97 Rose Bowl ... what a game. One of 15-20 games I've seen in my life where I will remember where I was when I watched it for the rest of my life.

That 96 team ... the drama all year with Stanley Jackson & Germaine. The gut wrenching loss to Michigan to kill the national title hopes. The freaking Orlando Pace pancake blocks, seemingly like 5 or 6 a game. A very memorable season. With a very memorable final game.

The fact Coach Cooper played Jackson over Germaine, even though they could pass block and run the ball at will anyway with Pace and company was as bad a coaching decision as there ever was ILO.

If Jackson hits one of the 25 open receivers he missed in the Michigan game - throws Germaine could make left-handed they'd a won to whole deal.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby tired » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:00 pm

I was at *the Game* that year. If Pepe' Peaterson out runs Woodson we win on that one run.
Going blind, out of reach, somewhere in the vasoline.
tired

Favorite Player: Josh Cribbs
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:12 pm

"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:18 pm

January 1st is on a Friday. :dingle:

I'm thinking hair of the dog and the entire weekend afterward.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:21 pm

Yeah. I'm going to try to go. I'd love to see a Rose Bowl game in person.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby swerb » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:31 pm

HermanFontenot wrote:January 1st is on a Friday. :dingle:

I'm thinking hair of the dog and the entire weekend afterward.

That's a beautiful thing. Hadn't even looked ahead.

All starts that morning at 11 AM. Wisconsin/Ole Miss Outback Bowl? Penn State/LSU Cap One Bowl at 1? Notre Dame getting rolled like a cheap joint by someone in the Gator at 1 as well?

Then the Rose Bowl at 4:30.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:16 pm

I'd love to see Oregon's O vs our D.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby swerb » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:53 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I'd love to see Oregon's O vs our D.

This Oregon offense .... man. This back is nice. Still got the other kid that punched out the dude on Boise. And Masoli, fun to watch, a lot of talent. Would be real fun to see the matchup between these guys and the Silver Bullets.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby tired » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:06 am

Bucks vs. Ducks . . . Wonder what the line would be ??? Tosu +7 I'm guessing
tired

Unread postby swerb » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:19 am

tired wrote:Bucks vs. Ducks . . . Wonder what the line would be ??? Tosu +7 I'm guessing

Don't think it would be that high. Oregon -4?

Buckeyes have covered just about every game they've been underdogs in since the 2 NC losses. All the big games. They open +7 ... that spread will come down real quick IMO.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby tired » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:22 am

I question our coaching staff being able to adjust to Oregon's. Conservative vs. non conservative.
tired

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:17 am

Oregon rolls the Bucks. They are very talented on O and the Buckeyes won't be able to score enough points to win. A very good defense could give up 28 to Oregon.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:56 am

Lead Pipe wrote:
Swerb wrote:That '97 Rose Bowl ... what a game. One of 15-20 games I've seen in my life where I will remember where I was when I watched it for the rest of my life.

The fact Coach Cooper played Jackson over Germaine, even though they could pass block and run the ball at will anyway with Pace and company was as bad a coaching decision as there ever was ILO.

If Jackson hits one of the 25 open receivers he missed in the Michigan game - throws Germaine could make left-handed they'd a won to whole deal.

Cooper's insistance on playing Jackson has never, ever made any sense to me. It still makes me mad.

Cooper should have won 2 NCs at OSU. He could have gone down as one of our greatest coaches ever. He just blew it.

If Pepe' Peaterson out runs Woodson we win on that one run.

- Who the hell is Pepe' Peaterson? Wait, isn't he the kid that went to Euclid after Roberto Smithington? :nanner:
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho

Unread postby tired » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:50 pm

Pepe" Pearson was there running back that year that had a wide open run up the middle for a t.d. until Woodson out ran him from behind. Pepe' peatered out. Just didn't have the speed you need.
tired

Unread postby swerb » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:31 am

Craziness still going on in the Pac 10. Zona win at home Sat night (8 PM ABC game) against Oregon muddies things further:

http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/1 ... -in-doubt/

The Pac-10 championship may end up being decided by the “Civil War.”

But before that, Saturday’s game pitting No. 11 Oregon (8-2, 6-1) at Arizona (6-3, 4-2) will help clear up the conference’s title picture. Each team could win the league with victories in their remaining games. The Pac-10 champion will play No. 9 Ohio State (9-2), the Big Ten champion, in the Rose Bowl on Jan. 1.

Oregon is in first place. Its only remaining game after Arizona is Dec. 3 against No. 20 Oregon State (7-3, 5-2), a rivalry game dubbed the Civil War. If Arizona beats Oregon, it will still have to win at Arizona State (4-6, 2-5) and No. 22 Southern California (7-3, 4-3) to clinch its first trip to the Rose Bowl.

Lurking in the race is Oregon State. If the Beavers win Saturday at Washington State (1-9, 0-7) and Oregon beats Arizona, then the winner of the Civil War will make the Rose Bowl. No. 14 Stanford (7-3, 6-2) needs plenty of help to win. The Cardinal must beat California, have Arizona beat Oregon, Oregon defeat Oregon State, and U.S.C. beat Arizona. There is even a chance of a six-way tie for first place in which U.S.C. would make the Rose Bowl. But that is predicated on a wild series of events that includes Washington State beating Oregon State.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Return to College Sports Arena