Text Size

College Sports Arena

Dayton Flyers basketball 2009-2010

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Dayton Flyers basketball 2009-2010

Unread postby Cease » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:26 am

Flyers ranked in the high 20's in several polls, good stuff. Chris Wright is a solid NBA prospect and is flat out exciting to watch. Team runs a deep rotation of high energy players who really open up the court.

Here's an ESPN article to bring you up to speed on this year's expectations, which are high on campus. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=oneil_dana&id=4584554

I'm a Flyer ('99) through and through and attended just about every home game in my five years of school there. Over the years, I've become a little jaded watching our mid level team overhyped and underachieve. One and out NCAA bids ended last year with a huge tourney win over WVU. That's the progress I'm looking for. Next stop Sweet 16?

I would be thrilled if we finally took out Xavier 2X this year. Hasn't happened a long, long time. Let's hear from the Flyer faithful!
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Re: Dayton Flyers basketball 2009-2010

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:43 am

Just started to keep track of Dayton basketball about a year ago. The guy I worked with down here in Louisiana has a brother who is an assistant (Billy Schmidt) for Dayton so I'd always check the box scores and watch them when they were on ESPN.

Best of luck to you guys this year.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby JoJo White » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:47 pm

If they can shoot the ball this year, they have a chance to be something special. That the Flyers made it to the 2nd round of the big dance without any decent shooters speaks volumes about their defensive intensity.
JoJo White

Favorite Player: Johann Olav Koss
Least Favorite Player: Zola Budd

Unread postby Schruted it » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:14 pm

'07 grad here.... The only thing that worries me about this team is PG depth until Lowery is back. The first 3 games of the season are key. UD has to beat Creighton and Georgia Tech to boost their RPI. Then, I can dream about taking down Villanova.

This may be the best college basketball team in Ohio.
Schruted it

Favorite Player: Z
Least Favorite Player: Kendrick Perkins

Unread postby jb » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:58 pm

Schruted it wrote:'07 grad here.... The only thing that worries me about this team is PG depth until Lowery is back. The first 3 games of the season are key. UD has to beat Creighton and Georgia Tech to boost their RPI. Then, I can dream about taking down Villanova.

This may be the best college basketball team in Ohio.

Don't know about that, but I do know they play in the best arena.

Amazing combination of sight lines and a great crowd.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby tbone » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:11 pm

About 15 minutes to tip off in Puerto Rico!

In the pregame show they said this is the first game of two ranked teams all year. Let's do this! Listen here:

http://newstalkradiowhio.com/
I don't think I'm ever more "aware" than I am right after I hit my thumb with a hammer.
Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

tbone
Medium Rare

Favorite Player: myself
Least Favorite Player: that guy

Unread postby Cease » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:44 pm

Nice win over Georgia Tech! 63-59. Coming back from 7 down in second half (after choking away 10 pt. first half lead). Sounds like the UD crowd down in PR is big. Wish I was there.

Now take on winner of Villanova/George Mason. Can take this tourney.
Cease

Unread postby tbone » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:01 pm

Apparently Nova's best freshman has a viral infection and is missing the PR tourney... oh well!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4670600

Friday, 3pm, ESPNU. Gonna have to get creative to come up with some out-of-office meeting...
I don't think I'm ever more "aware" than I am right after I hit my thumb with a hammer.

tbone
Medium Rare

Unread postby Schruted it » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:38 pm

UD wins today getting less than 20 points from their starters. A complete dud for Marcus Johnson. Just imagine what this team will do when Lowery is healthy.

Is Chris Johnson our best player now? (Offensively at least?)
Schruted it

Unread postby stretch51 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:40 pm

Schruted it wrote:UD wins today getting less than 20 points from their starters. A complete dud for Marcus Johnson. Just imagine what this team will do when Lowery is healthy.

Is Chris Johnson our best player now? (Offensively at least?)

I think CWright is playing tentative. I think he's got too much pressure on him self.

Really thought Josh Benson would be playing more.

Juwan Staten next year with Wright and Benson is going to be scary good.

About 250-300 fans went down this weekend. That's pretty cool.
stretch51

Favorite Player: Joe Jakubick
Least Favorite Player: Loy Vaught

Unread postby tbone » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:34 pm

Let's go Flyers! Beat 'Nova!!!

tbone
Medium Rare

Unread postby Cease » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:16 am

Tough loss to Nova, but again the team hung in to make it close. Allowing such a large lead (18?) is gonna cost you against a top 5 team like the Wildcats.

What kind of team is this going to be? A lazy team that doesn't show up until there are 8 minutes left, or a team that really hangs in when down and is never out of the fight.
Cease

Unread postby Schruted it » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:16 pm

Yesterday we fell in love with the 3 ball... We are not a good 3 point shooting team. We will win games based on defense and wearing teams down with our depth.

UD wins yesterday if Marcus Johnson bothers to show up. Even his free throws were flat.
Schruted it

Unread postby tbone » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:39 pm

for those not on the UD email list:

Get FLYERED UP with your fellow alums when the Flyers (12-3 overall, 1-0 in A-10) take on the Xavier Musketeers (10-5 overall, 2-0 in A-10) this Saturday, Jan. 16 at 11 a.m. We will be hosting gamewatches at two locations for the big game:

Downtown Cleveland
The Barley House (1265 W.6th Street, Cleveland, OH 44113) - Wake up and roll out for the big game at the Barley House located in the heart of Cleveland's Warehouse District downtown. Contact Ryan Hartzell '02 at cleveland@alumni.udayton.edu with questions.

Strongsville
Buffalo Wild Wings (8465 Pearl Rd., Strongsville 44136) - All fans in attendance wearing their UD gear will receive $2 off any food purchase of $10 or more. Contact Colleen Franklin '01 at franklin_colleen@yahoo.com for more information.

GO FLYERS!!!

tbone
Medium Rare

Unread postby jb » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:58 am

tbone wrote:Downtown Cleveland
The Barley House (1265 W.6th Street, Cleveland, OH 44113) - Wake up and roll out for the big game at the Barley House located in the heart of Cleveland's Warehouse District downtown.

Is it the perfect place for UD alums ?

jokes man, jokes. ;-) ;) :wink:
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Cease » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:03 am

JB wrote:
tbone wrote:Downtown Cleveland
The Barley House (1265 W.6th Street, Cleveland, OH 44113) - Wake up and roll out for the big game at the Barley House located in the heart of Cleveland's Warehouse District downtown.

Is it the perfect place for UD alums ?

jokes man, jokes. ;-) ;) :wink:

How dare you, sir.
Cease

Unread postby Cease » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:16 pm

Oh, to be back in The Ghetto after a 90-65 whooping of Xavier at the Arena. I can almost taste the Beast.

Flyers to spend yet another stretch run on the bubble. 16-6 (5-3 A10). With PAC 10 sucking wind, A-10 might 4 as many as 5 teams teams in the tourney- Contenders being Temple, Xavier, Charlotte, Dayton, Richmond, and URI.

Take care of Charlotte at home, beat the scrubs, and then win @ Temple 2/24 and we're golden. Blow a couple winnables and have a short stay at A-10 Tourney- it's NIT time again.
Cease

Unread postby Cease » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:44 pm

RIP: The 2009-10 Dayton Flyers at-large bid.

After a horrible loss at Duquesne yesterday, the 18-8 (7-5) Flyers are way off the bubble and will have to win @Temple and @Richmond plus advance deep in the A-10 tourney to be taken seriously as an at-large. Not gonna happen.

Frustrated Flyer Faithful watch another season of promise with athletic talent washed away with poor road performances against average/poor teams- St. Joes? URI? Duquesne? SLU?. Anyone think Brian Gregory should be placed on a hot-seat? Or, are we just happy to run a clean program and sell out every game as the only team in town?

NIT, again...
Cease

Unread postby XUDawg » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:31 pm

Honest question without any intentional ribbing, Flyers fans: When is Brian Gregory going to have some accountability over there? Year in and year out your team starts with high hopes in the fall only to fall flat on your face come January and February. It hurts to watch, and it hurts the credibility of our conference.

Why does this guy still have a job? Let him be the recruiting coordinator or something. He gets talent in, but then shows his ass when it comes time to play some meaningful basketball games.

Chris Mack comes in with no head coaching experience and all of our top talent gone and just wins. What is Gregory's excuse, year after year?
XUDawg

Favorite Player: Nick Diaz
Least Favorite Player: Ben Roethlisberger

Unread postby Cease » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:20 am

I hear you, Dawg.

The feeling in Dayton is that Gregory is "the best we can get." The way UD's leadership sees it, if the guy is running a clean program, graduating players, and making occasional NCAA appearances (2004, 2009), he's not going to be shown the door. They leave well enough alone.

Unless BG tanks well beyond his standard under-achievement (which we could argue he did this year), the only time Dayton gets to hire a new coach is when the current one bolts for a low end ACC or Big East job.

It's mind numbing to think that Dayton, which sells out their 10,000 arena on a regular basis, has first class facilities, a decent basketball history, deep alumni pockets, a high grad rate, and no D1 football program doesn't perform like XU, Gonzaga or even the Butler program. Mind numbing.
Cease

Unread postby Cease » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:17 pm

The Flyers are going to the Final Four*!

*NIT
Cease

Unread postby Cease » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:11 am

Well, I'll be damned. The Flyers have advanced to the NIT Championship game against UNC on Thursday Night with Tuesday's win over Ole Miss. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=300890145

As this thread turned personal blog reads, the Flyers have been woefully disappointing this year, missing out on an NCAA bid after being picked by many to win the A-10. Credit the teams who make the NIT Final Four for making the most of it and getting some tourney experience. Credit the Flyers for showing some pride.

In a head-scratching twist of fate, I am watching HC Brian Gregory transform public opinion. I, and many Flyer faithful, had Gregory on the hot seat as another disappointing season ended. In two short weeks, low and behold, he is subject to rumors of being courted by the likes of Iowa (position filled), Seton Hall (position filled) and now Boston College. WTF am I not seeing? That's the NCAA coaching carousel, I guess.

Dayton/UNC Thursday 7PM ESPN. Go Flyers.
Cease

Unread postby mswerb » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:04 pm

Heels. Way to put together a good run at the end of a bad year.
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Unread postby Cease » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:07 pm

mswerb wrote:Heels. Way to put together a good run at the end of a bad year.

That no-call trip didn't hurt. :hide:

NIT trash talk, can you feel the excitement?
Cease

Unread postby Cease » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:14 pm

Great win by the Flyers tonight over North Carolina!!!!

I know, I know- We're #66! But to an alum like me, it still feels very good.

It's winning five straight (Illinois St, Cincinnati on the road, Illinois on the road, Ole Miss and UNC at MSG) and bringing home the hardware. Very proud of my Flyers tonight. Got to crack a BEAST to wash this season down.

NIT Champs! Let's light a up couch!

YES!
Cease

Unread postby JoJo White » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:39 pm

War Kiefaber and Lawnview.

Seriously, good win and good run but frustrating to know that this year's team could have achieved so much more had they played with a brain all season long.
JoJo White

Favorite Player: Johann Olav Koss
Least Favorite Player: Zola Budd

Unread postby davemanddd » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:05 pm

i don't consider dayton #66 at all. they just didn't get picked to be in the ncaa's field of 65. i have no doubt had they been picked though, they probably would have won a few games. that being said, isnt the nit basically going to become swept up in the expansion of the ncaa tournament when it goes to 96 teams??? i just don't see what all the hubbub is about then??? i mean that's what they already have now. only with expansion, the nit will be played in one single round as they would whittle the field down from 96 to 64 teams on the first weekend of games with byes for the top 8 seeds in each region to play all the winners of the opening round the following week. at that rate it's simply just a 32-team play-in round. hence, goodbye nit.
dave . . .
davemanddd

Favorite Player: joe thomas
Least Favorite Player: lebron james

Unread postby Cease » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:28 pm

Yes, it could very well be the last NIT- which would be a shame. It's a worthwhile tourney for those who want 5 more games, two more weeks of practice and tourney experience. And for one night in the last 25 years, Dayton hoops was better than UNC and we got the chance to prove it. We'll savor the flavor, it may not last long. Extra special to do it against Roy Williams.

Let's open The Hanger and then hit Golden Nugget for breakfast. Who's with me? Hooooooo!
Cease

Return to College Sports Arena