Text Size

College Sports Arena

General Bracket Thoughts

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

General Bracket Thoughts

Unread postby swerb » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:36 pm

~Was initially pissed the Bucks didn't get the #1 overall, but how can you complain about it going to Florida? Defending champs, same team, beat us by 30. Then I was pissed when I saw UNC got the #2 overall, thinking it would stick us in the same bracket as UCLA or Georgetown. In the end ... the #3 overall ending up suiting us nice. I like the draw. Bring on BYU, Virginia, and Memphis if the seeds hold. GREAT DRAW.

~The 8 and 9 seeds this year are just some major programs! Arizona-Purdue, Kentucky-Villanova, Marquette-Mich St, and BYU-Xavier.

~Zona is as talented of a 8 seed as I've ever seen. They dont play D and underachieved all year. But Florida can't be happy about seeing a team with their talent that early.

~Did you see the look on the VCU players faces when they saw they drew Duke? They looked dangerously happy. That said, I like Dukes draw, even though this isn't a final four team. Coming off the ACC Tourney stinker, you can book wins over VCU and Pitt.

More thoughts to come ...
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Guest » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:47 pm

Duke might win 1 game and then they are done.
Pitt beats them by 15+

Ga Tech could be a #10 seed to move onto the Sweet 16
UNLV and then Wisconsin? A real possibility

Unread postby furls » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:53 pm

I am not a big fan of the Florida #1 nor the UNC #2. I thought that kind of trivialized the season in which both teams proved terribly vulnerable. Hell, Ohio State ran with UNC pretty well in their own building without Greg Oden.

Now that my homeness is exposed.... I am not a big fan of Ohio State's draw and I think the committee kind of fucked them. Typically, number #1 seeds are protected and rewarded, but in this case, what the hell is Xavier doing in their part of the bracket (in Lexington)? That is nearly a home a game for the musketeers and BYU? That is a pretty rough alternative. That being said, I can't see where the Buckeyes have any significant trouble all the way to the final four. Could they lose before then? sure, but they shouldn't. Memphis is one of this year's great frauds, UV could be dangerous, but I am not even 100% sure that they will make the sweet 16.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby furls » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:46 pm

guy on ESPN brought up an interesting point also, should A&M make it to the elite eight, they would have a home game in San Antonio. That is pretty shitty.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby HoodooMan » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:40 pm

What would you guys think if OSU & Texas matched up in the Final 4?

Durant (kinda) vs. Oden

Augustin vs. Conley

Could be interesting.
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby swerb » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:47 pm

HoodooMan wrote:What would you guys think if OSU & Texas matched up in the Final 4?

Durant (kinda) vs. Oden

Augustin vs. Conley

Could be interesting.

That would be awesome.

I'd take either of those PGs starting for the Cavs. Today.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby furls » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:04 pm

I think Conley will be a serious NBA point guard IF he can develop an outside shot. You have to be able to do some scoring from outside of 15 feet in the NBA.

In any case, he is already the best point guard in Ohio (pro or amateur).

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby swerb » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:31 pm

As is, I think Conley is a 1st rd pick, easy, as a frosh if he were to come out.

If he develops the 18 foot jump shot? Top five pick.

I love watching that kid play. Love it.

So good with the ball. No turnovers. Great passer, even better penetrator. The PG sixth sense. He has just blown me away this year, and I haven't had man love like this for a Buckeye hoopster since JJ was going toe to toe with Cal Cheaney in the early 90's.

Back on topic though, there are some absolutely excellent potential PG matchups for Conley in the Buckeyes draw.

Xavier has a PG by the name of Drew Lavender thats pretty damn good. Name sound familiar? It should ... he was on that Oklahoma team that went to the Final Four in '04 before transferring to Eggsavier.

Tennessee's got a gritty Senior by the name of Dane Bradshaw. Virginia? Uh ... this just in, Sean Singletary is pretty good.

With Acie Law, my favorite non Buckeye player, and one of the nations best PGs at A&M waiting potentially in the 8.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Eric » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:38 am

Furls wrote:You have to be able to do some scoring from outside of 15 feet in the NBA.

I can think of at least one point guard in the NBA who cant shoot outside of 15 feet :mrgreen:
Ernie Camacho for President
Eric

Unread postby pup » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:38 am

From Mike and Mike this AM....

How in the hell did the committee pass up the chance to make this 7/10 matchup happen

Indiana v Texas Tech?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby swerb » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:12 am

Pup wrote:From Mike and Mike this AM....

How in the hell did the committee pass up the chance to make this 7/10 matchup happen

Indiana v Texas Tech?

The committee goes out of their way to avoid matchups like that. Personally, I think it's unfortunate.

They also coulda had Arizona playing Kentucky in a 8/9, and a rematch of I wanna say the '96 title game.

Is there anything better than Dicky V's morning after Selection Sunday radio interview? I had my car radio volume on full blast. My 20 month old son was horrified.

Dicky V, hoarse from the night befores interviews, just getting loose.

"YOU MEAN TO TELL ME that Syracuse is not one of the 65 best teams in America? 10-6 in the Big East? Are you serious? And I'm not the smartest guy in the world, as a matter of fact ... I'm a dummy. I don't have a Harvard education. I can't pronounce all those fancy words. But one thing I DO KNOW ... is that those kids from Drexel, every chance they got, they hit a home run. At Syracuse, at Villanova, at Creighton."

Then ... he just unloads on Arkansas for 10 minutes, completely ripping to shreds their resume, doing everything but saying Stan Heath is engaging in intercourse with farm animals. And ends it with, "But nothing against the Razorbacks. Great school, great people."

I know alot of people hate him. I love Dickie V. It's a travesty that this man is not in the Basketball Hall of Fame for what he has done for the sport.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Return to College Sports Arena