Text Size

College Sports Arena

Maybe...just maybe..... (more like an article than a post)

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Maybe...just maybe..... (more like an article than a post)

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:14 am

I am no "Apologist". Tressel's offensive gameplan is many times rudimentary, and is largely based on the idea of not putting his defense in bad positions, even though not getting first downs is detrimental to the defense over the course of a game.

He put the team (IMO) in a terrible hole due to poor recruiting from 03-05, which I believe was the largest reason for the team's critical flaws in from 06-08. He has since corrected this chink in the armor (and then some).

I have been especially bitter for the last 5 days, however when I thought about it, something started to take root.

I remembered the end of 2004. The offense was putrid for the second year in a row (third if you count when Mo C was out), sparked only by a dynamic freshman, teddy ginn, and a budding young QB. But it was a poor, poor offense. Backyard football in the most optimistic of views. An offensive explosion in an improbable game against Michigan along with the promise of some amazing LB's created hope for 2005 as a special year.

We installed a new offense in the offseason, and with Teddy, Troy, Santonio, and Gonzo, everyone saw a monster offense in the making along with the promise of an intimidating defense full of seniors.

Not even Troy's suspension could curb the enthusiasm of the buckeye faithful.

There was a huge night game vs Texas. The crowd was electric. The offense, unfortunatley, forgot to show up. TD's turned to FG's in a game the bucks largely dominated. They came back to haunt the buckeyes in the end as a last minute drive sunk the hopes of a NC.

Troy continued to struggle in taking the next step as a passer and the offense struggled through a another heart breaker against Penn State, and the season was officially over.

But somthing happened late in the season. The offensive seeds began to take root. Down against michigan, Troy and Gonzo worked a miracle and we carried the late season surge into a BCS date with ND, where the offense finally bloomed and the machine of 2006 was born.

The offense, in particular Troy, was unfortunatley a year late. The defensive stars we gone, and the replacements (except for one or two) were simply not NC caliber.

We do not need to recap 2006 or debate where it went wrong.

Flash forward - its 2009. A young ultra talented QB is leading a new talented WR core with a new Oline (4 players playing new positions and/or never started a game together), paired with an expected shutdown defense with the best Dline since 2003.

There was a huge night game against USC, the crowd - electric. But the offense forgot to show up, and in a game largely dominated by the buckeyes, TD's turned to FG's and those come back to haunt the bucks as they lost to a backbreaking last minute drive by the visitors.

Poof went the Buckeyes National Title hopes, however slim they may have been to begin with.

Anything ringing a bell yet?

Maybe, just maybe, this is 2005 all over again. Too much expected from a very green, yet obviously talented offense, which ends up weighing down the bucks intimidating defense.

One big difference - The defense is not filled with seniors, and even if some juniors leave, the cupboard is no longer bare.

Maybe, just maybe, we are in for some special things over the next 24 games. Maybe, just maybe, Tressel, and by proxy the buckeyes, are not doomed.

Maybe, just maybe, some patience will pay off in 2010.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Re: Maybe...just maybe..... (more like an article than a post)

Unread postby pup » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:56 am

Good post.

Hopefully this time, the cupboard continues to get replenished unlike the years you mentioned.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:20 pm

The best thing to come out of Saturday was already pointed out by Jesse.

We don't have to lose by 45 to UF in the NC game now.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:25 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:The best thing to come out of Saturday was already pointed out by Jesse.

We don't have to lose by 45 to UF in the NC game now.

I don't remember pointing out any "good" things about Saturday. I certainly I would never suggest that Saturday was anything more than a crushing loss, with no positive effect on the future directly or implied.

However since you brought it up, in all honesty deep down I didn't want that game either.
JCoz

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:01 pm

Thought I would bring this back for a post season look...........
JCoz

Unread postby jb » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:16 pm

Mark May on the post game in studeo show.

Not. Saying. A. Word.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:17 pm

JB wrote:Mark May on the post game in studeo show.

Not. Saying. A. Word.

What do you mean, please let me know, I've been on the UF game.....
JCoz

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:18 pm

Not. Saying. A. Word.

What was he saying prior to the game?

I never understood that guy's hatred of the Big Ten and TOSU, I think it all stems back to the '06 NCG, was he grandstanding like mad and then was suddenly made a fool?
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby jb » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:19 pm

Hey man, I've been critical of t SV and have no apologies to make. He did what I bitched about doing.

The D attacked, the O didn't play Tressel ball, and he was about as conservative as Steve Spurrier. IOt was as if there were two completely different coordinators and Heacock and Tressel took the day off.

No complaints about game day coaching whatsoever.

The kids rans with the OU kids. No difference in athleticism.

All cool in the shoe AFAIC.
jb

Unread postby jb » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:20 pm

Triple-S wrote:

Not. Saying. A. Word.

What was he saying prior to the game?

Do you also ask what Foix News says about the POTUS?

Stems from jelousy that Pitt and the BE is second rate and gets no respect and the Big Ten is geographically close. If Pitt ever gets that Big 10 nod, it'd change in a heartbeat.
jb

Unread postby jb » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:21 am

jb

Return to College Sports Arena