Text Size

College Sports Arena

Akron

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Akron

Unread postby gnati » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:33 pm

OK, so I don't live there anymore, but can someone help me out:

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/college ... _wist.html

Where, exactly, does Akron think it can go that would be better than the MAC? I have to tell you I am coming up snake eyes on that one. Do they think they are Big 10 or Big East material? Really? Conference USA or something? A little help please.
gnati

Favorite Player: .
Least Favorite Player: .

Re: Akron

Unread postby jb » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:46 pm

Cue up Spin making his case for Akron into the Big 10 in 3...2...1....

Shouldn't they actually win something in the MAC first?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:06 pm

Conference USA would, I think, be the only fit. Money there dwarfs the MAC, but CUSA does not field as many sports as MAC. Atlantic 10? That would make no sense. Maybe the guy is just sabre rattling?

Zips did a MAC title in BB, no?
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:02 pm

What a surprise, Akron is trying to better-deal itself out of the MAC. Just like back in the Gerry Faust error when they wouldn't join the MAC because they thought they could be a big-time independent a la Louisville. LOL.

Maybe the MAC should kick their asses to the curb like they did to Marshall back in 1969. Oh and speaking of Marshall, ask them how moving to Conference USA has worked out.

They're a "basketball school," remember? And they've got the NCAA wins to prove it. Oh, wait...
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:54 pm

Fired their coach. I guess it must be the first step toward leaving the MAC.........
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4695502

Really wanted to post this in the "Akron Lands Star Buckeye Recruit" thread, but alas that one was locked.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby dpdad » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:30 pm

I always thought UA made a huge mistake back in '85 when they fired a good coach in Jim Dennison and hired Gerry Faust right after his Notre Dame debacle. Going to Division I was a mistake, IMO. Akron could have stayed in a smaller division and who knows, become the Mount Union of today, enjoying great success at the small college level.

However, since Akron likes to hire fired ND coaches, Charlie Weis will be available pretty soon.
dpdad

Unread postby AK-ROWDY » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:00 am

HermanFontenot wrote:What a surprise, Akron is trying to better-deal itself out of the MAC. Just like back in the Gerry Faust error when they wouldn't join the MAC because they thought they could be a big-time independent a la Louisville. LOL.

Maybe the MAC should kick their asses to the curb like they did to Marshall back in 1969. Oh and speaking of Marshall, ask them how moving to Conference USA has worked out.

They're a "basketball school," remember? And they've got the NCAA wins to prove it. Oh, wait...

We have a perennial elite soccer program. No one here thinks we are a basketball school. The MAC is slowing down its soccer program and that has caused concern for our Athletic department. We have consistently scheduled the best of the big east and big ten and have won convincingly. If anything the school is looking to join another conference in just its soccer program.
AK-ROWDY

Favorite Player: Peyton Hillis
Least Favorite Player: Steelers

Unread postby Spin » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:11 pm

Yeah it's the soccer program that has outgrown the MAC. Hell at 22-0-0 and giving up only seven goals all season, we've outgrown EVERY conference. And that record means a lot because, unlike basketball, we don't play cream puffs in the non-con.

Who said Akron was a "basketball school"? It was in the D2 days.

Football? holy hell. I've said (as JB comments) the top 4-5 MAC teams can play with the bottom 4-5 B10 teams, and other BCS conference teams. Akron is NOT a top 4-5 MAC team.

Cincinnati built it's program and moved from the MAC and is a top ten program. Akron is NOT Cincinnati. And won't be in the forseeable future. This program was a train wreck of C-town proportions this year, and unless we retain some or all of our recruits with the coaching change, it's at rock bottom.

But we beat Cant State.

To me, moving to Conference USA is a lateral move. Isn't the MAC a great lakes C-USA?

So, how did "growing" out of the MAC help Marshall? South Florida? If it was for travel, I can get that. But that's not how they left it.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Return to College Sports Arena