Text Size

College Sports Arena

Embarassing

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Embarassing

Unread postby consigliere » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:47 am

Wow.

Two things I felt strong about going into the game, and that is 1.) the Bucks defense was very over-rated, and Michigan exposed them for the fraud they were and 2.) a lot of people were over-looking the Gators.

That said, I still felt we'd win this game by 7-10 points. But, in no way did I expect our offense to lay a complete egg tonight. The o-line was absolutely manhandled....dominated. Troy Smith did not look good, but a lot of that had to do with Florida's pressure and getting to him so fast. Ginn going out injurred hurt, but we just couldn't do anything because as soon as Smith took 3 steps a Gator was in his face. Props to Meyer and his crew on an EXCELLENT defensive gameplan.

As for our defense.....completely laughable performance. Pitiful. Lauranitis looks very average, as did the the d-line and the rest of the D. WTF was Malcomn Jenkins doing all nght? How many times did a Gator catch a short flare or crossing route and have a Buckeyer within a yard of him.....then BLOW BY HIM?!?!? Poor tackling and pursuit all night. We had no answer for the Gators speed. And, Crhis Leak played the kind og game we expected from Smith.

And, for as bad as the defense and offense played, the coaching might have been worse. From the horrible decision to go for it on 4th and 1 on their own 29 in the first half (why, why, why???? You had done NOTHING on offense to that point, and it wasn't like your defense was dominating where they could bail you out).......but we did not make any adjustments. Either Meyer completely outcoached Tressel and his boys were ready to play....of the Gators were clearly a much better football team.

A great season by the Bucks....but this one will leave a sour taste in my mouth for awhile. We pretty much are the Oklahoma Sooners of 2004. Dominate all season, but get destroyed in the championship.

One good thing out of all of this, is Tressel ain't leaving OSU now.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby mswerb » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:12 am

:puker: , This is how I feel
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Unread postby yargs7 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:31 am

Wow. That was just a thorough ass beating. We got outcoached, outplayed, and did not have an answer for anything Florida did. No excuses. We got beat soundly by a better team. I think the Big Ten was extremely weak and maybe made the Bucks look better than what they were.

The one thing that I hope DOESN'T come out of this game...I hope that Troy Smith does not get labeled as a choker or get this loss pinned on him. He had zero time and NOBODY was open all night.
"You win with people"

-W.W. "Woody" Hayes
yargs7
College Football Nut

Unread postby Guest » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:37 am

A fucking joke
The whole team sucked
The coach sucked
Outplayed
Outcoached
They didn't even look like they wanted to play
Horrible
I am sick

Unread postby cweiz32 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:40 am

Troy Smith learned a tough lesson in this game...He experienced what life would be like if he was the Browns' QB. I couldn't believe how much pressure Florida was getting on Troy. Unbelievable game. It's sad they had to go out like that after such a great year.
cweiz32

Favorite Player: LeBron
Least Favorite Player: Whines Hard

Unread postby furls » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:40 am

Wow, I hate to sound like sour grapes here, but Jim Tressel was not outcoached, he failed to coach.

That entire game plan was a joke and they failed to adjust. Stand by for my wrap. It is already written and pretty "severe."
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby consigliere » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:59 am

If I didn't no any better, Jim Tressell's attention was somewhere else. Like, a possible NFL head coaching gig. Just sayin.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby johnnyo » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:25 am

I was shocked with the way Florida's D-Line manhandled the Buckeyes' O-Line.

Smith looked very ordinary, at best.

Extremely disappointing.
Ride it like you stole it.
johnnyo
Stiller Fan

Unread postby dpdad » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:59 am

The defense played very conservative all night. No pressure on the Florida QBs at all, usually rushing only 3 or 4 linemen. Very surprised by that scheme.

O-line was manhandled by the Florida defensive front. Troy Smith never had a chance. I also thought the Buckeyes gave up too soon on the running game. The series in the 2nd quarter where they threw three straight passes and went three and out was a surprise, because the Buckeyes had just scored on the Gators with the running game.

Tressel was outcoached from start to finish. The injury to Ginn hurt the offense more than I would have expected it to. Huge disappointment. Now, winter really begins.
dpdad

Unread postby swerb » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:48 am

That was perhaps the most thorough coaching and X's and O's mismatch I have seen in some time.

Tressel was completely unprepared to call this game offensively without Ginn. The "king of adjustments" was unable to make any, on either side of the ball.

We dropped 7 or 8 guys into coverage on every play but about three by my count through three quarters. The times we brought pressure? Leak made poor hurried throws. The linebackers were abused so badly tonight. The Buckeyes played that shitty safe prevent umbrella, and the quick Gator RBs and WRs just abused the LBs and DBs that played the slots.

Both lines got dominated by the Gators. The pass coverage by Florida was nothing short of amazing. No one, and I mean no one, was open all night. Troy Smith deserves little to no blame for this debacle. The Florida DBs were amazing, and aided by great pressure from their talented front four.

Just a complete and total ass whooping. The Buckeyes were slaughtered in all phases on the field, and Urban Meyer absolutely OWNED Jim Tressel in this game. Owned.

This ones gonna hurt for a while.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby docstank » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:00 pm

The prevent works again!!!
Preventing yet another win. How does Jim Tressel fall into this trap? Was he that scared? Hats off to Florida, but lets no go crazy with the Gators, Ohio State could not have beaten about 10 different teams last night running that f'in defensive scheme. That was a complete joke last night, I never thought Jim Tressel was capable of pulling off a boner like that. Apparently I had him a little over-rated. That defensive scheme not only created no pressure on a QB that crumbles under pressure, but the corner cushion and the retreating linebacker created so much room for Florida to use there speed running on the edge and completing short passes which even Chris Leak can complete. Those recievers had to be licking there chops all damn night. Who cares about the home run ball when you can hit doubles all night long?

Wow Jim, what were you thinking? I am still glad we have Tressel, I do believe he will be legend as a Buckeye. Remember Woody Hayes lost to Michigan with "the best Ohio State team he ever coached". But Jim what the hell were you thinking rushing 3 with that kind of underneath cushion?
I am so sick right now.
Stank
docstank

Unread postby pup » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:21 pm

This is attempt number 4 at writing something this AM, but I still have very little to say.

You guys have all pretty much hit the nail on the head in your posts.

Was Tressel trying to hard to prove that we could run with SEC teams? Did he try to hard to disprove the SEC speed is different than the Big 10? If so, shame on you. Once Florida scored their first 2 TD's, it was time to line up with 2 TE's and a fullback and smash the ball down their throats. Instead, we stayed in the shotgun, spread and tried to score 21 points on each possesion, even though it was prety obvious that without Ginn's deep threat there was no way the rest of the receiving corp was not getting open.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Return to College Sports Arena