Text Size

College Sports Arena

OFFICIAL PREDICTION THREAD: NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME!

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

OFFICIAL PREDICTION THREAD: NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME!

Unread postby furls » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:51 am

Let's go, get on the record here and reserve your right for trash talking later!

Good Luck and Go Bucks!
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:02 am

Ohio State 41 Florida 23
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby pup » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:06 am

The Ohio State University 45
Florida 17

The usual Buckeye game. Florida scores early, then OSU score the next 3 and spends the rest of the game matching a couple Florida TD's, before closing the deal on a late Antonio Smith pick 6.

Troy Smith 275 yds, TD to each Ginn and Gonzo.
Pittman 28 carries, 157 yards TD
Chris Wells 12 carries 75 yards 2 TD.

Go Bucks
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Guest » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:31 am

34 17 Buckeyes
Gonzo--big game, at least 1 TD, probably 2
Defense/Special teams gets a score

Unread postby The Score » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:36 pm

28-26 Ohio State wins a close one. Not as close as it looks though, tOSU leads the game late 28-19 and UF punches a TD in and loses the onside kick.
The Score

Unread postby dpdad » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:11 pm

OSU 38 Florida 20.

Troy Smith plays slice and dice with the Gators secondary. Ted Ginn has a big play on special teams. The Buckeyes gain over 200 yds rushing and over 300 yds passing.
dpdad

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:45 pm

Add a couple thoughts to my score prediction ...

As Furls so eloquently points out in his game preview, I just don't think there is a defense in America that can slow down this Buckeye offense. The only thing that can stop this OSU offense is unforced errors, and Troy Smith is so good about not making mistakes. I can't remember ever seeing a college QB that is so good at making good consistently good decisions with his arm and feet while under duress.

When the Bucks go five wide, it takes starting linebackers off the field, and forces 2nd team DBs (often freshman or sophomores) on the field out of the opponent. The talent differential between the Buckeyes 4th and 5th WRs, and backup DBs from their opponents is vast, and tough for teams to overcome.

I expect the Buckeyes to move the ball, and score at will. If anything concerns me, the Gators have two great safeties. And their DL, while not as talented as Michigans ... it is quicker.

Defensively, the Buckeyes secondary was somewhat exposed against Michigan. I think the weakest part of this Ohio State team is its safeties, and Urban Meyer has alot of tape of successful Michigan offensive passing plays to disect.

In the end though, Florida really struggles to run the ball conventionally, and I think this really works in the favor of the Buckeye defense. Mitchell and O'Neal will be asked to support the run less, and be able to pay more attention to the talented Florida wideouts, without always having to keep an eye on a guy like Mike Hart.

One of the big keys to me will be Laurinaitis tonight in his role as a spy on Leak/Tebow. He will also be asked to constantly have his head on a swivel against the Gator tricks and misdirection.

Troy Smith throws for 310 yards and 4 scores. Wells breaks another long one, and ends with 80 yards on 7-8 carries. Pittman ends with 100 yards on 18 carries. Gonzo steps up and has a big game. 10 catches, 2 scores ... which will sadly lead to his departure.

Defensively ... two guys I like to have big games. Vern Gholston and nickel back redshirt Frosh Donald Washington. Coming out parties for both tonight.

Buckeyes 41 Gators 23
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Guest » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:54 pm

Pittman and Ginn play their last game
Gonzo stays

Unread postby furls » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:59 pm

Vern Gholston and nickel back redshirt Frosh Donald Washington

The future is very bright in Columbus indeed, so much so that I believe it is adversely affecting recruiting some. Ohio State recently lost a highly touted DE prospect to Louisville (wouldn't be surprised if he backed out of that now), I think largely because he can see that it will be tough to get snaps at Ohio State in the future behind Robert Rose and Vern G.

Swerb is right on about the safeties. REmember that Anderson Russell suffered a serious knee injury and will not return until next year. Additionally, the Buckeyes are going to have Eugene Clifford next year and he will be an immediate impact player. Clifford is by far the best defensive player the Buckeyes have coming in next year.... We will talk more about this very soon (as signing day draws near).
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby docstank » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:56 pm

Buckeyes 31
Florida 12
Their Kicker is absolutely horrible.
Go Bucks!!!!!!!!!
Following the game, if you have Jeff Licht in your phone book, make sure wake him up and let him know Michigan is not the National Champions this year. Just remember, he would call you if he could.
Stank
Buckeye Chiropractic Clinic
440-951-PAIN
docstank

Unread postby pup » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:28 pm

Following the game, if you have Jeff Licht in your phone book, make sure wake him up and let him know Michigan is not the National Champions this year. Just remember, he would call you if he could.

Good reminder Stank. Hopefully he will still be around at the final whistle and I can remind him in person! Of course that would mean he doesn't play "Licht Loose" during the card game!

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby yargs7 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:32 pm

I think tonight we'll see exactly what we've seen all year from the Buckeyes. Great coaching, superb quarterbacking, sound defense, solid run game, and good special teams. Bigger stage, same result.

Bucks 28 Florida 13

Let me also use this post to say how great it is to be a Buckeye! Let's face it, we Ohians weren't dealt the best of hands being born in an economically depressed state with awful weather and bad pro teams. But because of Jim Tressel and those players, I thank God everyday that I was born a Buckeye!
"You win with people"

-W.W. "Woody" Hayes
yargs7
College Football Nut

Unread postby furls » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:57 pm

Amen, and thank those of you that have commented frequently on my articles, and let me say, it was my absolute pleasure to write on this team this year.

When Rich asked me to come on board and write here, I thought it would be a OK, but I never envisioned that I would enjoy it this much. It has made me a more attentive fan. I look forward to the offseason after the game to recharge some... I figure that i have a little time before national signing day, and then the 2007 season will officially start!

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby pup » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:00 pm

Thought this might fit well here.

Congrats Furls on an absolutely amazing year of covering the Bucks. I would not rely on anyone else for Buckeye news! Your articles have been very informative and entertaining, which I enjoyed every week. I can't remember waiting for articles like I have the last couple weeks waiting for your previews. Good job, rechearge and get ready to defend the title!

Go Bucks!!!!

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby furls » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:18 pm

I have never seen a team play prevent in the first series.... are you serious? rushing 3? Against Leak? The dude crumbles anytime there is any pressure. They need to do a little better than that.

THe offensive line looks like they borrowed it from the Browns.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Big Lu » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:22 pm

What the f#*k is happening? Come on Buckeyes!

:twisted:
Big Lu

Unread postby mswerb » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:27 pm

I feel kinda sick to my stomach right now, let's hope Tressel can light a fire under the offense's ass at the half. Let's keep the defense off of the field for a while. :scratch:
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Unread postby Big Lu » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:27 pm

Their Kicker is absolutely horrible.

Figures he would be great so far! He's already got 10 points! :evil:
Big Lu

Unread postby mswerb » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:29 pm

We need to worry about more than just the damn kicker.
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Unread postby consigliere » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:37 pm

You know what is fucking hilarious? The Buckeye band playing the theme song from Titanic at half-time. Absolutely laughable, and very fitting.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby mswerb » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:13 am

How did you catch that one?
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Unread postby consigliere » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:28 am

They showed a few minutes of both the Gators and Buckeyes bands playing at half.

Fucking hilarious how the OSU band formed the line of a ship while the flag corps held up a llong line of blue silk.....and the band slowly "sunk" into the water. Very good renactment of what our football team did in the 1st half.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby cweiz32 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:47 am

Good call on the Titanic bit. I couldn't get over the fact that they were doing that. It was like they were making fun of their own football team.
cweiz32

Favorite Player: LeBron
Least Favorite Player: Whines Hard

Return to College Sports Arena