Text Size

College Sports Arena

Pittman and Wells' goofed

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Pittman and Wells' goofed

Unread postby yargs7 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:54 pm

"You win with people"

-W.W. "Woody" Hayes
yargs7
College Football Nut

Unread postby jjgmyers » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:38 am

Anyone have any news on this?
jjgmyers
I Heart Fat Chicks

Unread postby swerb » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:50 am

All I know is the game is now off the board on both of the off-shore books I use.

Not a good sign ...
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Guest » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:26 pm

From the USAToday and the AP

Ohio State says no NCAA rules violations occurred at fundraising dinner
Updated 12/28/2006 11:56 AM ET E-mail | Save | Print | Subscribe to stories like this

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — No NCAA rules violations occurred as a result of a spaghetti-dinner fundraiser in Akron last weekend staged so the families of four Ohio State players could attend the national championship game, Ohio State announced on Thursday.
The players could have had to miss the championship game if they were found in violation of rules the prohibit athletes from receiving special benefits.

Starting tailback Antonio Pittman and his backup, Chris Wells were at the Dec. 23 spaghetti dinner at Akron's Buchtel High School. Sophomore defensive end Lawrence Wilson and senior defensive back DeAngelo Haslam were also involved in the benefit but did not attend. All four players are from the Akron area.

The dinner was intended to help cover travel costs for the families of football players from the Akron area to the championship game in Glendale, Ariz., on Jan. 8. It was put on without the knowledge of the Ohio State student-athletes or their families.

"We have thoroughly investigated this situation and feel confident that no rule violations occurred," said Doug Archie, Ohio State's associate director of athletics for compliance. "We have talked to all the principals involved and are confident that the players and their families had no prior knowledge of the event. Additionally, no money was given to anyone associated with the Ohio State football program. Those are the litmus tests."

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Unread postby swerb » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:05 pm

Whew. I'd still like to hear the NCAA say the same thing to ease my mind.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Return to College Sports Arena