Text Size

College Sports Arena

Rivals' "expert" predictions

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: Rivals' "expert" predictions

Unread postby aoxo1 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:30 am

Pup wrote:
aoxo1 wrote:
Pup wrote:
aoxo1 wrote:
Chief24Wahoo wrote:Seriously. Guess he's content with playing in the Chick-Fil-A Bowl every year...

Maybe his goal is to have a decent shot at playing time so he can develop and play in the NFL. Or maybe he just wanted to be able to play for more than 1 or 2 years, if he doesn't make it to the NFL.

We all know Pryor is the starter barring disaster and that Boyd has no real chance of unseating him for the next 2, and possibly 3, years. If Pryor turns out to not be a great pro prospect by the time his junior year is over, Boyd would be looking at 1 year of starting. Meh, I can't blame kids for wanting to play when they only have a short window to do it.

When I see people criticize a guy for transferring just because he got beat out, that seems goofy to me. I applaud Pat Devlin for transferring; these guys only have a few years and if they are forced to the bench because there is either a guy who is a little bit better or because he is a year behind him they SHOULD transfer if they are starter quality players. Just like they SHOULD take into account the depth chart.

How rewarding is it to win even a National Championship when the only time you get in the game is when you're up by 30 in the 4th quarter?

More rewarding than going 6-6.

So you're the kind of guy who would prefer to be a member of someone's entourage and never know what could have been rather than trying to make something of yourself and finding out what you are capable of? I sincerely doubt that.

No. I am the type of guy that would rather go challenge myself and try to play the highest level I had the offer at and live with consequences.

I don't care how good he is. He isn't winning a title at Clemson. Especially after they did the Bill Stewart/WV thing and hired a HC based on his players liking him and beating BC, Duke, Virginia and South Carolina. Getting hammered by FSU. And losing to an average Nebraska team. Freaking WR coach to HC. Nice choice.

Clemson and OSU are different level programs, but they aren't playing at different levels. They are both BCS schools in conferences that can't win BCS games.

Not to pile on the Big Ten, but you think he is winning a BOWL game at a Big Ten school?

(it's fair, I'm a PSU alum)
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby pup » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:58 am

aoxo1 wrote:
Pup wrote:
aoxo1 wrote:
Pup wrote:
aoxo1 wrote:
Chief24Wahoo wrote:Seriously. Guess he's content with playing in the Chick-Fil-A Bowl every year...

Maybe his goal is to have a decent shot at playing time so he can develop and play in the NFL. Or maybe he just wanted to be able to play for more than 1 or 2 years, if he doesn't make it to the NFL.

We all know Pryor is the starter barring disaster and that Boyd has no real chance of unseating him for the next 2, and possibly 3, years. If Pryor turns out to not be a great pro prospect by the time his junior year is over, Boyd would be looking at 1 year of starting. Meh, I can't blame kids for wanting to play when they only have a short window to do it.

When I see people criticize a guy for transferring just because he got beat out, that seems goofy to me. I applaud Pat Devlin for transferring; these guys only have a few years and if they are forced to the bench because there is either a guy who is a little bit better or because he is a year behind him they SHOULD transfer if they are starter quality players. Just like they SHOULD take into account the depth chart.

How rewarding is it to win even a National Championship when the only time you get in the game is when you're up by 30 in the 4th quarter?

So you're the kind of guy who would prefer to be a member of someone's entourage and never know what could have been rather than trying to make something of yourself and finding out what you are capable of? I sincerely doubt that.

No. I am the type of guy that would rather go challenge myself and try to play the highest level I had the offer at and live with consequences.

I don't care how good he is. He isn't winning a title at Clemson. Especially after they did the Bill Stewart/WV thing and hired a HC based on his players liking him and beating BC, Duke, Virginia and South Carolina. Getting hammered by FSU. And losing to an average Nebraska team. Freaking WR coach to HC. Nice choice.

Clemson and OSU are different level programs, but they aren't playing at different levels. They are both BCS schools in conferences that can't win BCS games.

Not to pile on the Big Ten, but you think he is winning a BOWL game at a Big Ten school?

Come on dude. Poll 10 gabillion Americans and ask who has the more realsitic shot at a National Title in the next 4 years, tOSU or Clemson, and you will get:

10 gabillion-Clemson alums/students= voted for tOSU.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby pup » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:04 am

That's likely the main reason why blue-chip prospect Tajh Boyd of Hampton, Va., committed Tuesday to Clemson instead of Ohio State or Oregon. As he put it, "I felt like I could come (to Clemson) and compete early."

So you couldn't compete with Pryor?

Like I said. P-U-S-S-Y. Supposed to be the best QB in the country and you are afraid of last year's best?

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby aoxo1 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:19 am

Pup wrote:
aoxo1 wrote:
Pup wrote:
aoxo1 wrote:
Pup wrote:
aoxo1 wrote:

Come on dude. Poll 10 gabillion Americans and ask who has the more realsitic shot at a National Title in the next 4 years, tOSU or Clemson, and you will get:

10 gabillion-Clemson alums/students= voted for tOSU.

Obviously. But that doesn't mean those same people think OSU will actually be winning one in the next 4 years.
aoxo1

Unread postby aoxo1 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:37 am

Pup wrote:
That's likely the main reason why blue-chip prospect Tajh Boyd of Hampton, Va., committed Tuesday to Clemson instead of Ohio State or Oregon. As he put it, "I felt like I could come (to Clemson) and compete early."

So you couldn't compete with Pryor?

Like I said. P-U-S-S-Y. Supposed to be the best QB in the country and you are afraid of last year's best?

Just to finish off basically my main point of these last few posts:

I love how a bunch of people are so wrapped up in college football that if a player decides to go to another school, they immediately take to insulting a 17/18 year old kid who probably struggled to make the biggest decision of his career.

But yeah, keep on calling him a pussy/coward/asshole/loser whatever you like.
aoxo1

Unread postby pup » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:04 pm

Now that I have your permission...

Seriously. The guy didn't want to compete for a spot. He wanted one handed to him so we went to a lesser program. That is OK I guess. If that is how you roll. My orginal thought was good, I don't want players like that at tOSU anyway. I want guys who want to go take the upper classmen's job.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby furls » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:38 pm

Can't blame the kid for taking the shot at playing time. Stepping in behind Pryor is not a good deal and he only gets four years (maybe 5) to take snaps in the NCAA. Potentially he could spend 3 of them on the pine. Competing with Pryor would be an uphill battle at best and frankly, I would rather he sign elsewhere now than transfer next year or the year after. Pryor's job is his to lose, not someone else's to win.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:32 am

You can't blame him for grabbing the early playing time, and whatever else came his way...but you can blame him for formally verballing to the OSU coaches, then confirming his commitment early the day of the announcement....and then announcing for Clemson. There's a lot of speculation that he may have "verballed" to Oregon as well.

So we don't know exactly if or why he changed his mind at the last minute. But we know what his word is worth.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby pup » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:57 am

wiz1001 wrote:You can't blame him for grabbing the early playing time, and whatever else came his way...but you can blame him for formally verballing to the OSU coaches, then confirming his commitment early the day of the announcement....and then announcing for Clemson. There's a lot of speculation that he may have "verballed" to Oregon as well.

So we don't know exactly if or why he changed his mind at the last minute. But we know what his word is worth.

One of my points wiz. Did something change with tOSU QB position in the last few weeks? Days? Hours? Minutes?

Why make them a finalist if you know you aren't good enough to beat out who they currently have, or tough enough to try?

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby danwismar » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:05 am

Early on in the recruiting year, it looked like the Buckeyes would be content to go into next year with just two scholarship QB's, knowing as they did that it would be tough to land a blue-chipper the year after Pryor's dynamic freshman year. They seemed content to zero in on guys like Devin Gardner from Michigan for 2010 and Braxton Miller, a coming star in 2011.

They danced around with guys like Patrick Nicely, and then lately with Austin Boucher, but it wasn't until Boyd unexpectedly became available again after the Tennessee coaching change, that they decided they'd be nuts not to at least try to land the kid.

Somewhere along the line they may have felt insecure about Bauserman sticking around to be a career backup. He was a 22 year old freshman, and had to be feeling like he wasn't getting any younger...or playing much around here...and the coaches may have decided they had to get an insurance policy of some sort after they started recruiting Boyd.

When they got the verbal from Boyd on Monday night, and then again on Tuesday am, they went ahead and told Boucher no thanks...and made an official offer to the junior Gardner for next year. Problem is that everybody and his brother has offered Gardner, and Boucher immediately accepted another offer that same day...so when OSU went back after Boyd's scam, Boucher was committed already.

Word is now that Bauserman is not going anywhere, and I feel he can be a capable backup to Pryor. I do think Boyd would have played some as a freshman had he come here...he's one of those guys you want to get on the field. If Boeckman and Pryor on the field together gave defenses problems, imagine what an athlete like Boyd could do teamed up with Pryor...(and Boom...and Posey...and Small...and Jamaal Berry..and Carlos Hyde...and Flash Thomas...and Jake Stoneburner......)

Not at all sure what the QB depth chart at Clemson looks like....I do know they have a lot more numbers at QB than OSU...so does Oregon....so we'll see how the kid does. First he needs to grow up a bit.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Previous

Return to College Sports Arena