Text Size

College Sports Arena

Donald Washington to NFL

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Donald Washington to NFL

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:00 pm

Link when available:

Washington Declares For NFL Draft

Despite suggesting after the Fiesta Bowl that he planned on returning for his senior
season, Ohio State junior cornerback Donald Washington announced today that he will
be entering his name into this year's NFL Draft. Projected as a late-round pick,
Washington is a player many felt could raise his stock by returning to school.

Edit to add: http://www.bucknuts.com/news/articles/2 ... -nfl-draft
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Donald Washington to NFL

Unread postby onlyindreams » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:12 pm

He's been a disappointment after playing pretty well early in his career. I think OSU should rebound ok because they have a bunch of talented CB's coming in.
onlyindreams

Favorite Player: Browns Backup QB
Least Favorite Player: Browns Starting QB

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:46 pm

onlyindreams wrote:He's been a disappointment after playing pretty well early in his career. I think OSU should rebound ok because they have a bunch of talented CB's coming in.

Agreed. Chekwa took the #2 CB position from Washington before last year anyway. CB/LB we are loaded for the future.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby furls » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:30 pm

Disagree, the Bucks are a year away from having depth in the secondary. Next year's secondary will hinge on the development of guys like Travis Howard and Orhian Johnson. We'll see how this turns out.

As for Washington, he will have the kind of combine/pro day that will vault him up the board into the 3rd/4th round.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:48 pm

I'm worried about CB too, Furls. The coaches say they like Travis Howard, but he has never played a minute. Andre Amos is talented, but has never been able to stay healthy. I think Corey Brown could be a dynamite CB, but at this moment he's in high school...and he may end up at WR anyway.

There's Devon Torrence (who might still bolt to play baseball) and Clarke (who knows what we've got there?) and Donnie Evege (smaller than the prototype OSU corners)...in other words, a large group of maybes.

By the way, I'm worried about safety too.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby furls » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:13 am

Rack it Dan.

Personally, I think Coleman = the Brians (average and nice for depth, but not a guy that you want to build the defense around).

Corey Brown was dynamite in the AAA game. He has officially become the steal (so far) of OSU's class and you know he will make a difference somewhere, the question is where. A lot of that will depend on guys like Duron Carter and Marlon Brown. I doubt the Buckeyes will land Brown (Marlon), so there could be space for Corey at WR, but he looks like a pretty incredible CB too. His future, like Ginn and Gamble's before his, will rely on the Buckeyes holes. Boy it is nice to land a guy that may be an all american at either position.

The secondary is likely to be a work in progress next year. I wouldn't be surprised to see at least one freshman in the two deep at CB next year, whether it is Green, Clarke, Brown, or Barnett is anyone's guess.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:27 pm

I don't know. I don't see Washington as a lockdown corner. Will it hurt us to lose our most experiecned corners? Sure. But I have confidence in Tress to find replacements.

Plus,With Washington leaving there is an opening in the Tress Doghouse.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby furls » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:15 pm

Yeah, plus I heard you can actually get paid in weed in the NFL. I think Randy Moss said that. Washington showed signs of being that lock down corner in the 2007 season, but was so far in the doghouse after his 2 major issues last year that I am not sure he was going to get his job back regardless of how Chekwa played. As for Chekwa, I like him a lot, as a nickelback.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Mcreek » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:22 pm

Justin Green could be the real gem in this class. He is a big hitter as well as having great speed. He actually played LB out of necessity last season.

Here is a quote from his coach

“What can he play in college? I think his best position is probably as a corner,” he said. “He’s a great cover guy and a big hitter. Obviously he’s got quality speed. He’s the real deal that way. I’ve had several guys go through here and make it to the league and I think he’s an NFL corner. That’s what I think he is.”
" No big stars on the team is by design. "We can't afford to have the inefficiencies, even for a great talent. We need to function as efficiently as possible in our clubhouse, and that means guys have to know what it means to be a good teammate. We don't want to waste the energy on dealing with all those distractions. Besides, we value character over talent here in Cleveland---Mark Shapiro
Mcreek

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:22 pm

Furls wrote:

Yeah, plus I heard you can actually get paid in weed in the NFL. I think Randy Moss said that. Washington showed signs of being that lock down corner in the 2007 season, but was so far in the doghouse after his 2 major issues last year that I am not sure he was going to get his job back regardless of how Chekwa played. As for Chekwa, I like him a lot, as a nickelback.

:lmfao: "paid in weed"

So I take it you're not a fan of Chekwa as the #1? Really I think it's his job by default.

Also, What do you see our LB core looking like next season? From most of what I have read its looking like Sabino, Homan, Sweat. Personaly I think that might be one of the most athletic cores we have ever had.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby furls » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:38 pm

If you told me next year's CB line up was DW, MJ at corners Chekwa at nickel, I would be very happy. Chekwa, to me, is a lot like the Brians; he is a good player not a great one. He is still early in development and could turn into a stellar player, but for now, I am not enthused about him being our "lock down" guy.

Next year's LB corps is impossible to make sense of. The only givens are Sabino and Homan will play a lot, how it shakes out from there is anyone's guess. Will the Buckeyes bring in Jermale Hines to and play a 4-2.5-4.5 (BTW I am trademarking that), will they use Moeller or Rolle as the third LB and move Hines to the Nickel? Will Dorian Bell, Storm Klein, or Jordan Whiting come in and blow the doors of that mutha? It is possible, all three are outstanding prospects. All this and I still have not mentioned Sweat. The LB depth is an embarassment of riches.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:18 pm

If we had a game tomorrow, I think Spitler might start at the Mike, if for no other reason than he probably knows all three LB positions better than anyone else. I love Sabino too, from what I've seen, and maybe he's a Mike long term, but I think it's possible that if we want our best three linebackers on the field in Game One, it might be Spitler, Sabino and Homan to start...with Hines at the nickel.

Mix in a liberal dose of Moeller and Rolle and then hope you can get something out of your true freshmen as a bonus.

Anytime I catch myself expecting (hoping for?) valuable contributions from players who have never once yet put on the uniform (Bell, Whiting, Klein, etc.) I'm reminded of a line I read here soon after I first started writing for the site...I think from JB or Peeker...I'm not sure, but it stuck with me...and I paraphrase...

"...but it's all a bunch of Nick Speegle to me until they show me something..."

Classic.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby furls » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:57 pm

Oh yeah and AS too...

I am not sure where he fits in because it appeared that Sabino had pretty much overtaken him on the depth chart. How about that for a Buckeye career, back up JL for 3 years then back up Etienne Sabino for your 4th? One thing I am sure of, Spitler is a Mike. Sabino may be able to play some Will or Sam, but man that would be a big (relatively) slow group of LBs. Sabino has excellent speed, particularly for a Mike, but Homan and Spitler are average speed. I would really like to see the Bucks get a bit smaller and faster, using guys like Rolle or Moeller. We really need to get some athletes out there.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Mcreek » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:09 am

The idea of having both Spitler and Homan at LB is equivilant of having the likes of Greg Bellisari, Jerry Rudzinski and John Kerr. I would have Sabino-Moeller and Rolle instead.
" No big stars on the team is by design. "We can't afford to have the inefficiencies, even for a great talent. We need to function as efficiently as possible in our clubhouse, and that means guys have to know what it means to be a good teammate. We don't want to waste the energy on dealing with all those distractions. Besides, we value character over talent here in Cleveland---Mark Shapiro
Mcreek

Unread postby furls » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:36 pm

Next year's LBs will be Homan, Sabino, and someone that does not have a lot of snaps thus far in their career at OSU, but the exciting thing is that there is a TON of talent and a truly open competition for the spot. Sabino's speed makes it possible for him to play Mike, Sam, or Will which gives the Buckeyes a lot of options.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Return to College Sports Arena