Text Size

College Sports Arena

Jim Tressel is Marty Schottenheimer in Big Games

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Jim Tressel is Marty Schottenheimer in Big Games

Unread postby jb » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:32 am

I am ready to ge ripped a new one. Have at it.

But a pattern is a pattern.

On one hand, this game was everything I thought it would be. Texas was in no way a physical football team and the Big 12 is a joke. Make no mistake, that was a mediocre tOSU team for the most part. Texas was not tahletically superior. They are not strong, vcn't run the ball worth a shit, and the defense plays on it's heels and relies on the speed of a couple athletes. The offense is far more a product of a system and great coaching than SEC type athletes. The way McCoy ran the O is with great precision and the receivers are sound even as they are ordinary. But number 3 in the nation? Better than USC? Bwhahahahahahahahahahhaha.

So in that sense, how can you criticize Tressel, eh? They covered the spread. They got the Big 10 and the program a moral victory and on paper they overachieved. The defense FINALLY played in a big game like it wasn't scared again for the first time since AJ went to Green Bay even if they can't coach their players to not hit the QB's head and they are one other CB short of a lock-down Defense. The game was essentially decided by 3 inches when the kid from Texas made a heady play too get the spot and Texas executed on a killer drive when they had no room for failure. Great, fun, game to watch and someone has to lose. The Bucks overachieved in a sense. This one isn't a "hurt"loss like the BCS blow outs. So I do NOT write this out of bitterness, only head shaking observational reality.

But great googly moogly does JT understand that you need to let your players play at all? Can he stop being in loe with punting and field goals?

He doesn't have a quarterback yet. He has an athlete. Maybe next year Pryor will be a QB , but that's not what he's doing right now. He needed to let the kid run, and then someone on the staff needed to tell him he's not Joe Freaking Montana and if it is a trade off between 10 more yards minimum and a first down or running out of bounds, take your 6' 6" 240 man-child body and run over the dang cornerback and stop acting like Franco Harris.

JT was far, far too conservative with the game management in quarters 2 and 3. And he usually is. he is nopt a good game day coach. When he had no choice but to let them play nekkit to come back, they did it. Pryor ripped off HUGE chunks of yardage with his legs. It opened up the running game for Herron. Yeah, kids will make mistakes, but at least you go down swinging. Had the O layed that open all game they'd have hung 40 + on that crappy ass Frog 12 excuse for defense.

At some point, tSV became Marty Schottenheimer in his big game tightness. This was pointed out to me by my friend and on line lengend, Pablus, in a text when he reminded me the only time JT won a big game was when he put up with the convict and got very lucky.

If the Big 10 were anything like in the day instead of the suckfest it is now, I'd see him as ole 9 - 3 Earle.

Pryor should get better. The cupboard will get fuller on paper. But dawg gonnit, to get out coached that badly by Mack Cooper and to manage the game to play so afraid on offense? Disgusting. Btween that and the errors that whould have been as big a laugher as Ole Miss hung on Texas Tech.

I feel sorry for Oklahoma until I think of Utah.

The AP has to vote USC.

Someone tell me that Mo Wells is gone. PLease. I've never been so ready to see a plyer graduate since Lydell Ross.

OK, slam me away with the inside the I - 270 beltwat mentality that kept telling me how great John Cooper was.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Jim Tressel is Marty Schottenheimer in Big Games

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:35 am

Schottenheimer never won one. Case dismissed.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:05 am

Peeker643 wrote:Schottenheimer never won one. Case dismissed.

/thread
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:30 am

I understand your frustration JB and you make a point or two but the answer you look for is in the wins we've had under JT. Too many to list as evidence, but you are focusing on only the losses (or this loss) instead of the entire big picture of games.

Plus one final note, JT doesn't actually play, the kids do. It can be a game of inches, and last night it was, if one of two kids makes a quicker move to tackle or a more sure tackle we maybe talking today about our win.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby HoodooMan » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:35 am

and the Big 12 is a joke.

1-6.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby pod2dawg » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:54 pm

IMHO JT better quickly find an offensive scheme to better utilize TP's skills or hire an OC to "open" it up or spread it out. The talent is there. You cannot beat the top tier teams kicking 50 yd field goals instead of TD's and pasting Buckeye leafs all over your punter's helmet.

I find it hard to believe Pryor is incapable of throwing short to intermediate pass routes even at this point in his career. They have had six weeks to work out some type of scheme. I know the tight end was open ALL night last night..for both teams.

Beannie & Boone need to go have nice careers in the NFL. Bring in the youngsters.

Mo Well's fan on picking up the blitz was f#$$%^ng brutal. That was a TD.....step away from the keyboard...
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby jb » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:43 pm

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:

/thread

If either you or Peeker actually turned off the ccountry music long enough to think, you'd be dangerous. :wow:
jb

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:54 pm

pod2dawg wrote:IMHO JT better quickly find an offensive scheme to better utilize TP's skills or hire an OC to "open" it up or spread it out. The talent is there. You cannot beat the top tier teams kicking 50 yd field goals instead of TD's and pasting Buckeye leafs all over your punter's helmet.

I find it hard to believe Pryor is incapable of throwing short to intermediate pass routes even at this point in his career. They have had six weeks to work out some type of scheme. I know the tight end was open ALL night last night..for both teams.

Beannie & Boone need to go have nice careers in the NFL. Bring in the youngsters.

Mo Well's fan on picking up the blitz was f#$$%^ng brutal. That was a TD.....step away from the keyboard...

Cannot concur. Not this season. Pryor can probably throw the ball a country mile, but he has no touch, awful mechanics and can't read a defense. Yet. The WRs this season are weak. Don't tell me about Robiskie's great game. Neither him, or
Hartline, would see the field if they played for Texas. Wells is a more talented back, but look at how awesome talent does sitting on the bench. Dude needs a serious addadicktome. The past 3 bowl performances are on Tressel. Awful 3rd quarter last night. Just terrible. And it cost the Buckeyes the game. The defense was great, the SP Teams were great. Tressel needs to be evaluated as a HC.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:04 pm

JB wrote:

/thread

If either you or Peeker actually turned off the ccountry music long enough to think, you'd be dangerous. :wow:

No sir. You act as if tSV only goes this route in 'Big Games'. That's not true. That's who he is all the time. They'll put up big numbers in some games throughout the season when they're just physically dominant over lesser opponents but he's true to who he is.

If you want to be upset or ask that he change that then it's understandable but no more likely. I disagree that it's a product of big games and I believe it's ridiculous enough a hypothesis to be curt with my response.

If I was curt with you I apologize.

Personally, I'm fine with who JT is and how he goes about things. Do I wish he'd adapt a bit more to the personnel and the changes in the game? Yes. I agree they were unimaginative last night and that they left points on the field. I said that in another thread and it cost them the game (along with the missed tackle).

But to suddenly expect Don Coryell is a bit much. And to suddenly expect a guy who has achieved success with this system to change it in mid stream probably isn't realistic either.

That's all.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby DrPoove » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:09 pm

JB wrote:Someone tell me that Mo Wells is gone. PLease. I've never been so ready to see a plyer graduate since Lydell Ross.

Mo Wells is my least favorite Buckeye since Steve Bellasari.

I concur on Sweater Vest. I think he is great, but he needs to evolve or we are looking at an 80s redux. Not like evolve into June Jones or Mike Leach but open it up a little more here and there.
"What is understood need not be discussed."
-Loren Adams
DrPoove
Special Guest Referee

Favorite Player: Cleveland
Least Favorite Player: The Inbred

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:14 pm

DrPoove wrote:
JB wrote:Someone tell me that Mo Wells is gone. PLease. I've never been so ready to see a plyer graduate since Lydell Ross.

Mo Wells is my least favorite Buckeye since Steve Bellasari.

I concur on Sweater Vest. I think he is great, but he needs to evolve or we are looking at an 80s redux. Not like evolve into June Jones or Mike Leach but open it up a little more here and there.

I think he did that as Troy Smith grew up. I'd like to see him take off the shackles and get a bit more creative regardless of the experience of Pryor and I think he missed a chance last night in not getting Pryor the ball often enough when Boeckman was in (not only to get Pryor the ball in space but to take some heat off Boeckman), but he is who he is and it's not likely to change a great deal.

But damn, Marty's career is defined by the fact he's never gotten to the biggest game. JT has gotten to three and won one so I'm not sure how the comparison is remotely close. Now Marv Levy .............

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Chris » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:11 pm

Well it'll be a shame if Tressel retires from OSU having only won a single national title and left a trail of bowl blowouts. Yeah, the loss was close last night, but that doesn't make it better in my opinion.

I guess what I'm saying is the last 3 years have been pretty bleak, in the end. Sure, regular season wins are fun as are wins against Michigan, but that doesn't win you anything outside the Big Ten. If some Buckeye fans are happy with just being king of the Big Ten, okay. But for such a proud program, I think we should expect a little more.

I don't think Tressel is going anywhere, and he is going to have a new recruiting class rising through the ranks over the next few years so we will see how he redeems himself and this program.
Chris

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:14 pm

Chris wrote:Well it'll be a shame if Tressel retires from OSU having only won a single national title and left a trail of bowl blowouts. Yeah, the loss was close last night, but that doesn't make it better in my opinion.

I guess what I'm saying is the last 3 years have been pretty bleak, in the end. Sure, regular season wins are fun as are wins against Michigan, but that doesn't win you anything outside the Big Ten. If some Buckeye fans are happy with just being king of the Big Ten, okay. But for such a proud program, I think we should expect a little more.

I don't think Tressel is going anywhere, and he is going to have a new recruiting class rising through the ranks over the next few years so we will see how he redeems himself and this program.

Was it the two trips to the NCG or the BCS game last night when it was 'bleakest' in the last three years? I'm thinking a lot of programs would love that darkness.

I don't think his road to redemption is a long one.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Chris » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:37 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
Chris wrote:Well it'll be a shame if Tressel retires from OSU having only won a single national title and left a trail of bowl blowouts. Yeah, the loss was close last night, but that doesn't make it better in my opinion.

Was it the two trips to the NCG or the BCS game last night when it was 'bleakest' in the last three years? I'm thinking a lot of programs would love that darkness.

It was probably after the two embarassing NC blowouts that had OSU as the laughing stock of the entire nation when it was the bleakest, Peek.

Point taken- but are you telling me you didn't have a bleak feeling after those two seasons? After two giant blowouts? They were bleak ends to great seasons, I don't know a lot of fans who'd argue that.

I agree his road to redemption is not a long one. He's found the regular season success- at least within the Big Ten. But questions remain. What about big out of conference games? Bowl games? Does the offense need an overhaul? Tressel has a lot to prove, but we already know he can coach a team to a championship win. Was this class just not good enough to compete with the likes of Florida and USC?

Probably.

Thoughts?
Chris

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:39 pm

This might be the dumbest title for a thread ever. Tressel has won Marty never won jack. The comparison dies there. Comparing the Buckeyes to anything Browns related is a bad joke. The Browns are a non competitive embarrassment.

the only time JT won a big game was when he put up with the convict and got very lucky

Hahahah this might top the thread title for "dumbest shit ever posted".

1 loss against Michigan and he has only 1 one big game? This shows how utterly clueless you are. See us central Ohio fans we consider Michigan a big game. I get these last years have been trying but i'm not going to write off Tressel. I will leave that to the brainless fairweather fans. It's so very Cleveland of people to throw the guy under the bus for a shitty string. I keep forgetting no other coach has had a bad streak. He is a good coach that needs to modernize his Offense and bring in a non Nickel obsessed D-Cordinator.

If you don't like it go root for the Yellow and Blue.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:42 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:If you don't like it go root for the Yellow and Blue.

Phil Savage thinks this is the proper response.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Chris » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:42 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:This might be the dumbest title for a thread ever. Tressel has won Marty never won jack. The comparison dies there. Comparing the Buckeyes to anything Browns related is a bad joke. The Browns are a non competitive embarrassment.

the only time JT won a big game was when he put up with the convict and got very lucky

Hahahah this might top the thread title for "dumbest shit ever posted".

1 loss against Michigan and he has only 1 one big game? This shows how utterly clueless you are. See us central Ohio fans we consider Michigan a big game. I get these last years have been trying but i'm not going to write off Tressel. I will leave that to the brainless fairweather fans. It's so very Cleveland of people to throw the guy under the bus for a shitty string. I keep forgetting no other coach has had a bad streak. He is a good coach that needs to modernize his Offense and bring in a non Nickel obsessed D-Cordinator.

If you don't like it go root for the Yellow and Blue.

Calm down. You just admitted that Tressel needs to change some things. The OP is obviously being too dramatic as I love Tressel and think he's a superb coach, but he has to change the offense for sure.
Chris

Unread postby pod2dawg » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:49 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:Cannot concur. Not this season. Pryor can probably throw the ball a country mile, but he has no touch, awful mechanics and can't read a defense. Yet. The WRs this season are weak. Don't tell me about Robiskie's great game. Neither him, or
Hartline, would see the field if they played for Texas. Wells is a more talented back, but look at how awesome talent does sitting on the bench. Dude needs a serious addadicktome. The past 3 bowl performances are on Tressel. Awful 3rd quarter last night. Just terrible. And it cost the Buckeyes the game. The defense was great, the SP Teams were great. Tressel needs to be evaluated as a HC.

Actually, we do concur.What I'm saying is givin TP's raw talent, and even OSU's shakey receiver skills, there is enough there to get SOMEBODY open 5-12 yds down the field ( see everyone's spread offense slant & drag patterns) coupled with Beanie & a massive line. Give me 6 weeks with the above & I'll have someone open. Tress is an excellent administrator, he does need to revise his offensive style to a more open version IMHO.

We have the athletes. To his recruiting credit. OPEN IT UP!!
pod2dawg

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:56 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:If you don't like it go root for the Yellow and Blue.

Phil Savage thinks this is the proper response.

No.... I never said "Fuck You".
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:58 pm

Chris wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:

It was probably after the two embarassing NC blowouts that had OSU as the laughing stock of the entire nation when it was the bleakest, Peek.

Point taken- but are you telling me you didn't have a bleak feeling after those two seasons? After two giant blowouts? They were bleak ends to great seasons, I don't know a lot of fans who'd argue that.

I agree his road to redemption is not a long one. He's found the regular season success- at least within the Big Ten. But questions remain. What about big out of conference games? Bowl games? Does the offense need an overhaul? Tressel has a lot to prove, but we already know he can coach a team to a championship win. Was this class just not good enough to compete with the likes of Florida and USC?

Probably.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that the program is healthy, powerful and has been in two of the last three NCGs and three straight BCS bowl games.

That they haven't lost to Michigan since Christ was a corporal and that they are an annual national championship contender under a very good head coach who does a very good job recruiting and winning.

My thoughts are that people are spoiled and have unreasonable expectations given that past success and they don't fully comprehend the quality of job the guy is doing despite some deficiencies in his style and despite the fact there are other good programs and good coaches trying to achieve the same thing JT is every year.

My thoughts are that comparing a guy with one BIG GAME title and two other BIG GAME appearances to a guy who never got his team to one BIG GAME is unfair and ridiculous.

My thoughts are that if you consider title game defeats extremely bleak then watching the Browns would likely have you hanging yourself from a beam in your attic with a bed sheet.

If OSU is a nationial laughingstock I'm not sure what that makes every other school w/o their resume.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:08 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
Chris wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:

Probably.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that the program is healthy, powerful and has been in two of the last three NCGs and three straight BCS bowl games.

That they haven't lost to Michigan since Christ was a corporal and that they are an annual national championship contender under a very good head coach who does a very good job recruiting and winning.

My thoughts are that people are spoiled and have unreasonable expectations given that past success and they don't fully comprehend the quality of job the guy is doing despite some deficiencies in his style and despite the fact there are other good programs and good coaches trying to achieve the same thing JT is every year.

My thoughts are that comparing a guy with one BIG GAME title and two other BIG GAME appearances to a guy who never got his team to one BIG GAME is unfair and ridiculous.

My thoughts are that if you consider title game defeats extremely bleak then watching the Browns would likely have you hanging yourself from a beam in your attic with a bed sheet.

If OSU is a nationial laughingstock I'm not sure what that makes every other school w/o their resume.

+1000 Peek. This is what I've been trying to say all day but haven't been able to put into words to post. Sure, it sucks for about 5 minutes when the bowl games are over, but I'll take this every damn year instead of being, say, Indiana.
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:09 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
Chris wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:

Probably.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that if you consider title game defeats extremely bleak that watching the Browns would likely have you hanging yourself from a beam in your attic with a bed sheet.

HAMMER MEET NAIL.

Peek is dead right. Tress brings a Champion. to this state, which hadn't won shit since the Reds in 1990. Its spoiled fickel fans that cost good coaches jobs. I'm not saying he walks on water.... He is far from perfect, but christ who has better record among teams you root for? No one. It amazes me people are slamming the only winner in the State.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Chris » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:17 pm

I agree, I agree, Tressel is a winner and the Buckeyes are a winning program moreso than ANY Cleveland sports team.

But they were a CHAMPION back against Miami. Not today. They need to win Bowl Games, championships. Those are the real prizes. I love beating Michigan, but that isn't a championship. If you don't think OSU is a laughing stock, you don't follow the national media or fanbases from other teams. Who cares what they think, right? Well, this is all about pride I think, and OSU is a very prideful program.

Sorry if I am not articulating well. It's a touchy issue but I am just surprised most Buckeye fans are happy with being bridesmaids as long as they clobber a Michigan team that App State and Toledo can defeat.

EDIT: do you guys watch All bets Are Off? I'm watching it right now, Drennan and Geno just basically said what I'm thinking better than I am able to type. Everyone gets upset when you say anything bad about OSU, in Ohio, but you leave the state and nobody cares about OSU like they once did. Nobody thinks they are a great program. They think it's a big pushover. You need to win on the *NATIONAL STAGE* to change these feelings. Man, Bruce read a scathing article that was chastising Texas! But throughout refered to OSU as a mediocre team with an overrated coach who can no longer get his team up for the big games in the spotlight and who's "big claim to fame is beating Michigan".

OUCH!
Chris

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:25 pm

Chris wrote:I agree, I agree, Tressel is a winner and the Buckeyes are a winning program moreso than ANY Cleveland sports team.

But they were a CHAMPION back against Miami. Not today. They need to win Bowl Games, championships. Those are the real prizes. I love beating Michigan, but that isn't a championship. If you don't think OSU is a laughing stock, you don't follow the national media or fanbases from other teams. Who cares what they think, right? Well, this is all about pride I think, and OSU is a very prideful program.

Sorry if I am not articulating well. It's a touchy issue but I am just surprised most Buckeye fans are happy with being bridesmaids as long as they clobber a Michigan team that App State and Toledo can defeat.

EDIT: do you guys watch All bets Are Off? I'm watching it right now, Drennan and Geno just basically said what I'm thinking better than I am able to type. Everyone gets upset when you say anything bad about OSU, in Ohio, but you leave the state and nobody cares about OSU like they once did. Nobody thinks they are a great program. They think it's a big pushover. You need to win on the *NATIONAL STAGE* to change these feelings. Man, Bruce read a scathing article that was chastising Texas! But throughout refered to OSU as a mediocre team with an overrated coach who can no longer get his team up for the big games in the spotlight and who's "big claim to fame is beating Michigan".

OUCH!

I get what you're saying to a point, but damn, there's 118 teams who don't win the championship every year. OSU has been to more BCS bowls than any other program. Sure, it'd be nice to win on the national stage every single year, but I'll take *getting* to the national stage over being a shitty team year in and year out. Those are the real laughingstocks.
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Unread postby Chris » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:27 pm

exiledbuckeye wrote:
Chris wrote:I agree, I agree, Tressel is a winner and the Buckeyes are a winning program moreso than ANY Cleveland sports team.

OUCH!

I get what you're saying to a point, but damn, there's 118 teams who don't win the championship every year. OSU has been to more BCS bowls than any other program. Sure, it'd be nice to win on the national stage every single year, but I'll take *getting* to the national stage over being a shitty team year in and year out. Those are the real laughingstocks.

And id like to think we'll start winning if we keep getting there. but thats just me being optimistic and there is no way to predict.
Chris

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:28 pm

I wonder if USCfan and OUfan have such worries about their head coaches.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Unread postby Chris » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:32 pm

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:I wonder if USCfan and OUfan have such worries about their head coaches.

OU maybe but usc with two rose bowl blowouts and looking like the best team in the country?
Chris

Unread postby Lubber » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:41 pm

OUCH!

Geez.. I wonder what they were saying when Coop was losing to Michigan every year and losing to teams like Purdue and Michigan St with a team of NFL players.

Tressel would be better off if this was his first BCS Bowl. For Christ sake. Unless he go perfect each year, you will find something to pick apart. And how about giving credit to other teams. Ever think that instead of Tressel/Buckeyes choking, the other team is that good and to give them credit where credit is due.

If OSU is the laughing stock of the nation, what is Michigan, Notre Dame, Penn State, etc. Come on. Cut the guy some slack. he has High school receivers out there with a true frosh QB.
Lubber

Favorite Player: London Fletcher
Least Favorite Player: LeBron James

Unread postby Chris » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:34 pm

lubber wrote:

OUCH!

Geez.. I wonder what they were saying when Coop was losing to Michigan every year and losing to teams like Purdue and Michigan St with a team of NFL players.

Tressel would be better off if this was his first BCS Bowl. For Christ sake. Unless he go perfect each year, you will find something to pick apart. And how about giving credit to other teams. Ever think that instead of Tressel/Buckeyes choking, the other team is that good and to give them credit where credit is due.

If OSU is the laughing stock of the nation, what is Michigan, Notre Dame, Penn State, etc. Come on. Cut the guy some slack. he has High school receivers out there with a true frosh QB.

I'm not saying it's fair, I'm just telling you what the perception is.

I'm not picking Tressel apart. These are THREE straight years of losing big games. That doesn't bother you? It bothers me. Oh well.
Chris

Unread postby Lubber » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:16 pm

Chris wrote:
lubber wrote:

OUCH!

I'm not picking Tressel apart. These are THREE straight years of losing big games. That doesn't bother you? It bothers me. Oh well.

These are 3 straight years of PLAYING in a BIG game. Were you alive the last time the Buckeyes had that kind of stretch? The only year that bothers me was Troy's senior year vs. Florida. That team was the most talented of the 3 years, but they got cocky and lost their edge. The last two seasons we did not have near the talent to be in either the national title game nor the Fiesta Bowl this year. You can thank Jimmy T for getting us this far the last two years.
Lubber

Unread postby Chris » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:09 pm

lubber wrote:
Chris wrote:
lubber wrote:

OUCH!

These are 3 straight years of PLAYING in a BIG game. Were you alive the last time the Buckeyes had that kind of stretch? The only year that bothers me was Troy's senior year vs. Florida. That team was the most talented of the 3 years, but they got cocky and lost their edge. The last two seasons we did not have near the talent to be in either the national title game nor the Fiesta Bowl this year. You can thank Jimmy T for getting us this far the last two years.

See? That's what I needed to hear. Look, getting there is great, but when you get to three straight BCS games- two are national champs- and lose all three, something is wrong.

But what you just said is something CRUCIAL- critically important, that people must understand: Ohio State had no business beating either LSU, or Texas. People are shocked we pretty much had Texas beat (even though we still lost). I wish we won but nobody had us winning against LSU or Texas, because quite frankly the level of talent on this team is not up to their levels. I agree 100% there.

I am glad you admit the game against Florida was a very tough loss- I mean, they all were, but I thought we had the talent to compete with Florida.

I just want to make sure you guys aren't seriously happy being bridesmaids and never winning BCS Bowl games, because before you posted this, that is the notion I was getting- that just "getting there" was amazing, awesome, and worthy of making Tressel a living god. I mean, I understand the Bills were thrileld to make 4 Superbowls and lose all 4 in a row, right? :clap: NFL is different from college, but I'm trying to explain my thoughts.
Last edited by Chris on Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

Unread postby r22weiss » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:16 pm

See? That's what I needed to hear. Look, getting there is great, but when you get to three straight BCS games- two are national champs- and lose all three, something is wrong.

Oklahoma has lost 4 straight BCS games, 2 of them national championship games. How are they immune to the scorn Ohio State receives?
r22weiss

Favorite Player: Victor Martinez
Least Favorite Player: Jonathan Paplebon

Unread postby Chris » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:18 pm

r22weiss wrote:

Oklahoma has lost 4 straight BCS games, 2 of them national championship games. How are they immune to the scorn Ohio State receives?

That's funny because I hear a LOT more ragging on OSU than Oklahoma. Odd, I know. They deserve the bullshit too and they get it but not nearly as much as us. I'd argue they deserve more.
Chris

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:25 pm

just want to make sure you guys aren't seriously happy being bridesmaids and never winning BCS Bowl games, because before you posted this, that is the notion I was getting- that just "getting there" was amazing, awesome, and worthy of making Tressel a living god.

Bridesmaids?..... What does that even mean? Come on no on is happy with losing. The title of this thread compares Jim Tressel to Marty fucking Schottenheimer... Just because we want to stick with our proven coach doesn't mean we think he is a "living god". The future of the Ohio State Buckeyes is bright and that is because of Jim Tressel. Shit.... you'd think he just went 3-9 or something.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Chris » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:29 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
just want to make sure you guys aren't seriously happy being bridesmaids and never winning BCS Bowl games, because before you posted this, that is the notion I was getting- that just "getting there" was amazing, awesome, and worthy of making Tressel a living god.

Bridesmaids?..... What does that even mean? Come on no on is happy with losing. The title of this thread compares Jim Tressel to Marty fucking Schottenheimer... Just because we want to stick with our proven coach doesn't mean we think he is a "living god". The future of the Ohio State Buckeyes is bright and that is because of Jim Tressel. Shit.... you'd think he just went 3-9 or something.

I know, I know. The Schottenheimer comparison is stupid. I already said I agree. And I also said I want to stick with Tressel, too...I just want to see him change some things, like bring this offense out of the Dark Ages and into the 21st century.
Chris

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:44 pm

Chris wrote:
Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:I wonder if USCfan and OUfan have such worries about their head coaches.

OU maybe but usc with two rose bowl blowouts and looking like the best team in the country?

And if it weren't for Stanford and Oregon State they'd be in their second straight BCS Championship Bowl.
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Unread postby Chris » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:54 pm

Chris wrote:

And if it weren't for Stanford and Oregon State they'd be in their second straight BCS Championship Bowl.

Yep.
Chris

Unread postby Lubber » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:00 pm

Chris wrote:

They might have been playing in their 5th straight if you count the 13-9 loss to UCLA in 2006.

At least when Tressel loses, it is in the big games to big teams. Carroll loses to UCLA, Stanford, Oregon St.. All decent teams, but also decided underdogs heading into those games. I think the only games Tressel has lost in the last 3 years where he was favored would be Florida and Illinois.

And Chris, just "just getting there" last year and this year is quite amazing when you consider the talent (or lack thereof) we had, especially last season. Am I happy we lost, of course not. But at this pace, if Jimmy T retires after 20 years, he is looking at 18 BCS games 9-9 record with 2-4 titles. I would take that :)
Lubber

Unread postby Chris » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:13 pm

lubber wrote:
Chris wrote:

They might have been playing in their 5th straight if you count the 13-9 loss to UCLA in 2006.

At least when Tressel loses, it is in the big games to big teams. Carroll loses to UCLA, Stanford, Oregon St.. All decent teams, but also decided underdogs heading into those games. I think the only games Tressel has lost in the last 3 years where he was favored would be Florida and Illinois.

And Chris, just "just getting there" last year and this year is quite amazing when you consider the talent (or lack thereof) we had, especially last season. Am I happy we lost, of course not. But at this pace, if Jimmy T retires after 20 years, he is looking at 18 BCS games 9-9 record with 2-4 titles. I would take that :)

Oh I know, that was a point I specifically touched on after it was brought up because I agree 100% that the talent level to beat those teams was not there.

Let's hope having the #1 recruiting class helps that out :)
Chris

Unread postby davemanddd » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:16 pm

winner, winner, chicken dinner. shoot, schottenheimer never even made it to a single super bowl. at least tressel has taken the buckeyes to the championship game 3 times and won once. how many other current coaches have had that much success in their first 8 years on the job??? how many coaches have been there 3 times in the last 8 years alone??? it's a very short list of bob stoops, pete carroll, tressell and . . . and . . . i got nobody. just quit your bitching. tressell is 7-1 against michigan and is 4-4 in bowl games, albeit the 3 losses all coming in the last 3 years. still, do you wanna return to the days of "ol' 9 & 3" earl bruce or even worse, newt cooper??? ohio state played a very good game and lost on a last minute play. let's give texas some credit for making the plays when they needed to. sometimes you just have to tip your cap to the competition. but still, if they would have got a better spot on that 4th-and-3 play, we would be celebrating a buckeye win today. just remember that.
dave . . .
davemanddd

Favorite Player: joe thomas
Least Favorite Player: lebron james

Unread postby pup » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:22 pm

Find me another program in the country that could walk into that game last night, have a true freshman take 90% of the offensive snaps, lose their top 10 pick starting tailback for the 4th quarter and be a missed tackle away from beating the team that a lot of people in this country thought deserved a shot at playing Thursday?

Find me 1 program. Fine me 1 other coach.

Some of you fact checkers...Is there another freshman QB to take a majority of the snaps in a BCS game?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Chris » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:34 pm

Do we win if TB takes all the snaps? I dont think so, but some people think we would have.
Chris

Unread postby jack_tors » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:44 pm

I think Tressel is a good coach who would benefit from a couple of young, less conservative coaches around him. I love the Vest, he has brought us a National Title and molds some fine young men but everyone gets a little stagnant once in a while.

Heard some interesting numbers on Munch's show today (yes, I listen from time to time to aid in the drive home). Munch and Roda were discussing the defense and making the case that Heacock should be let go. Check out these stats from the Florida, LSU and TX games:

1st Downs Allowed by the defense:
FLA-21
LSU-25
TX -33

Conversion Rate for opponents on 3rd and 4th down combined for those 3 games: 33 for 62!

They had a ton more states but I cant remember them. The defense obviously cant get off the field. Anyone here feel more of the blame lies with Heacock?
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby pod2dawg » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:46 pm

jack_tors wrote: Anyone here feel more of the blame lies with Heacock?

...Not this time. I'm a frequent Heacock critic but the "D" faced the NCAA Season Pass Percentage (78%) record holder & runner-up Heisman QB with a seasoned offensive machine and 26 year old bowl record setting receiver to match and was one tackle, 6 inches, and a dropped interception away from dumping the "Horns." ( oh, and horseshit roughness call on Gibson) Our guys played their asses off. Heacock actually brought heat. Texas was just that good boys. Colt got his revenge on us as we kicked his ass when he was a frosh.

..I may have called a time-out when the "D" was gassed but as pointed out the "O" or lack of lost the game. Mr. Pryor will get it done if we put in a better suited scheme..and yes he improves his mechanics & reads.
pod2dawg

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:55 pm

pod2dawg wrote:

...Not this time. I'm a frequent Heacock critic but the "D" faced the NCAA Season Pass Percentage (78%) record holder & runner-up Heisman QB with a seasoned offensive machine and 26 year old bowl record setting receiver to match and was one tackle, 6 inches, and a dropped interception away from dumping the "Horns." ( oh, and horseshit roughness call on Gibson) Our guys played their asses off. Heacock actually brought heat. Texas was just that good boys. Colt got his revenge on us as we kicked his ass when he was a frosh.

..I may have called a time-out when the "D" was gassed but as pointed out the "O" or lack of lost the game. Mr. Pryor will get it done if we put in a better suited scheme..and yes he improves his mechanics & reads.

Well said sir. Concur. :thumb up:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Chris » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:02 pm

pod2dawg wrote:

Colt may have gotten his revenge; he may have gotten his chips and salsa in the worthless Fiesta Bowl (worthless when you think you should be in the Title Game, anyways); but I bet he still feels some of those hits we put on him right now. :)
Chris

Unread postby aoxo1 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:31 am

The impression I took away from that game is that JT should have TP watch the BCSNC and see how a real QB named TT plays and next year maybe he won't run OOB without anyone near him.

Also, if Pryor can manage to develop into a passer, which is far from a sure thing given how bad he was at it all season and that he seemed to regress in the weeks leading up to the Fiesta Bowl, I am terrified of how good OSU can be. Kid is a special talent, but he is a long way from fulfilling it. If he does, that will be the triumph of Tressel's career.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby jb » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:48 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:See us central Ohio fans we consider Michigan a big game.

Too bad the President and AD of Univerity of Toledo don't.

Replace that take as a subject line and you got me beat by a country mile.

HanKKKing :
"OK, slam me away with the inside the I - 270 beltwat mentality that kept telling me how great John Cooper was."

Thanks for the validation. :pop:
jb

Unread postby jb » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:57 am

Peeker643 wrote:
JB wrote:

/thread

No sir. You act as if tSV only goes this route in 'Big Games'. That's not true. That's who he is all the time. They'll put up big numbers in some games throughout the season when they're just physically dominant over lesser opponents but he's true to who he is.

If you want to be upset or ask that he change that then it's understandable but no more likely. I disagree that it's a product of big games and I believe it's ridiculous enough a hypothesis to be curt with my response.

Personally, I'm fine with who JT is and how he goes about things. Do I wish he'd adapt a bit more to the personnel and the changes in the game? Yes. I agree they were unimaginative last night and that they left points on the field. I said that in another thread and it cost them the game (along with the missed tackle).

But to suddenly expect Don Coryell is a bit much. And to suddenly expect a guy who has achieved success with this system to change it in mid stream probably isn't realistic either.

That's all.

U can be as Schiling as you want. All good. Just business.

IMhO all the big game ass kickings, losses, and the complete demise of the Little 11 having any real national quality competition have taken the bloom of the lucky 2002 rose. And it isn't the actual losses. It's how he's coached them.

Conservative. Unprepared. Unpoised in the big one. Great at getting them there.

Marty.
jb

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:04 pm

JB wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:
JB wrote:

/thread

That's all.

U can be as Schiling as you want. All good. Just business.

IMhO all the big game ass kickings, losses, and the complete demise of the Little 11 having any real national quality competition have taken the bloom of the lucky 2002 rose. And it isn't the actual losses. It's how he's coached them.

Conservative. Unprepared. Unpoised in the big one. Great at getting them there.

Marty.

Unprepared is not quite accurate (with exception to the Florida game), he just hasn't been able to make any adjustments or at least make good ones. We've come out fairly strong and ready in every game we've played (except 2007 NC). Again you are talking about 3 total games. If we win one of the two previous NC games by one point even on the last play of the game none of this talk takes place, if we beat Texas on Tuesday night then in two years it would remove the stench from the two big losses using your logic JB.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Next

Return to College Sports Arena