Text Size

College Sports Arena

Fiesta Bowl predictions and Official Game Thread

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Fiesta Bowl predictions and Official Game Thread

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:05 pm

UT 24
OSU 20

I see the 3rd year Heisman runner up QB being a key and the freshman QB in his first REAL big game (with the pressures of the programs past two seasons big losses on his shoulders) being a factor as well, but in a slightly more negative way compared to his counterpart.

Moderated to establish this as the official game thread and make it a sticky.....

Furls
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Fiesta Bowl predictions

Unread postby fundamentals » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:58 pm

Ohio State 24
Texas 17

:hide:

I think Pryor will play well. I don't think Texas will have much motivation to play/win this game IMO. I hope Beanie Wells runs over and through Mr. Orapko early and often.
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby Commodore Perry » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:07 pm

OSU 24
UT 14

Beanie has a very big game. UT can't score if they don't have the ball.
Commodore Perry
Old School American

Unread postby DrPoove » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:27 pm

Texas 28
Buckeyes 17

Holding McCoy and crew under 30 is a victory, IMHO, but I don't see the Bucks scoring enough to keep pace... unless Sweater Vest miraculously opens up the playbook.

There is always one upset in a BCS bowl and unfortunately Utah beat tOSU to it. I don't think Texas will ignore that whopping the Utes but on 'Bama.
"What is understood need not be discussed."
-Loren Adams
DrPoove
Special Guest Referee

Favorite Player: Cleveland
Least Favorite Player: The Inbred

Unread postby furls » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:51 am

My prediction is in my preview coming out tomorrow.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby consigliere » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:17 am

I think this game will be a lot closer than the gamblers and pundits think. OSU needs to open it up some on offense and not be so predictable and score some points because I don't see us holding Texas under 24. I'd love to be wrong.

This thing goes down to the last minute somehow, and Texas wins 27-24.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:08 am

Ohio State 35
Texas 24

And people will start talking up how overrated the Big XII is. The lack of defense will come up and Oklahoma's players will get more frustrated. If they tank it against Florida then the Big XII will provide some relief to the Big Ten. Everyone will then be talking about how overhyped the conference was, about how they really don't play anybody, etc.

This bowl season the only conferences that have room to talk are the SEC and PAC-10. The SEC took a ding with the Utah loss, though it has fared pretty well. The PAC-10 has done very well, losing zero games. While the Big East has compiled a good record, there are no great victories on the ledger. The best one was WVU beating an improving UNC squad in Charlotte. Pittsburgh proved to be a bowl embarrassment again, at least on offense.

I see Ohio State pulling away in this one towards the end as their D wears down McCoy and crew. McCoy had all day to throw all season. Let's see how he does with some real pressure.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:18 am

I really think the Buckeyes will play well in this one. Will it be enough?

28 seniors, one last chance to get it right in a BCS game. Big 12 has been exposed thus far, with Northwestern nearly beating Mizzou as 14 point dogs, TTech letting Ole Miss score 47 points on em, and Ok State letting a very average Oregon team drop 42 on em in a loss.

Beanie with millions on the line tonight, Texas D suspect. Beauchamp is going to bring the house against this OL, and whether or not the Bucks can win tonight rests squarely in the hands of some of these meatballs like Boone, Browning, and Rehring that have been driving us nuts all year. Tressel will be ready for the siege, and I think the Sweater Vest is able to expose Texas on some of these blitzes to bust a couple big plays on O.

Also, good point by Dan and Jesse on the Buckeye Friday podcast last week. Layoff of over a month gives Pryor essentially another half season to get ready for this one. I expect Pryor to play well, make this his coming out party like Troy did in his first Michigan game. Another good point by Dan/Jesse is that Texas has no scary running threat, and Little Animal can hopefully be effective concentrating more on negating some of McCoy's intermediate stuff.

30-27 tOSU in OT

Fired up for this one tonight.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby waborat » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:38 am

tOSU 31
Tex 15

yes, this Sarasota Sun is starting to get to me
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:12 pm

Texas - 38
OSU - 14

Sorry guys, just dont see it. I'd love to see them take it for the Little 11, but cant see it happening
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Re: Fiesta Bowl predictions and Official Game Thread

Unread postby furls » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:09 pm

Texas wins a close one due to predictable play calling that is lower scoring than most think. I think if I were a betting man I would take OSU and the Under with the Under as the preferrential bet there. I don't think the Big XII offenses are as good as everyone thinks; I think, based on the bowl games, that the defenses are below average.

That said, Texas' defense is the best in the conference and is still good enough to shut down the run with 8-9 in the box. I expect the Buckeyes to come out and establish the pass in the early going, on the first series, only to revert back to predictable patterns as the game progresses. I have very little confidence in the staff making meaningful changes to the game plan because they have not in the past.

Pryor had a lot of time to grow up, but that doesn't change the fact that options 1 and 2 are still Robo and Hartline.

The Buckeyes have the talent to win by a fair margin, I don't think Mac's prediction is insane based on OSU's talent, but I am not sure that they will be put in a position to win the game.

Go Ahead Bucks, prove me wrong. I would love to eat some crow on this one.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Commodore Perry » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:18 pm

Furls wrote:My prediction is in my preview coming out tomorrow.

Nice article Furls. There was some actual original thinking it in. Every article I've read by the "professionals" is just regurgitated talking points.

I think you're right that the offense needs to be less predictable. They're going to have to run the ball a lot to be successful tonight, but I do think play action could be a useful tool in this game. Texas will undoubtedly stack the box to try to negate Beanie and Pryor. They need to take a couple shots downfield early.

Interesting to hear about the bruises. Without a doubt they looked rusty the last 2 years.

I'm optimistic about this game because Texas has an unbalanced offense. They rely big time on McCoy, and don't have much of a running game. Knock McCoy off his game, and there is a chance at a big OSU win.
Commodore Perry
Old School American

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:24 pm

I disagree about the rust against LSU, let's not forget we came out to a 10-0 lead, maybe just a tad bit of rust, but I think that loss had to do with much more than that. 2007, definitely rust all over the place.

BTW if anybody is recording this I'd love to get a copy, depending on the outcome of course.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby jb » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:34 pm

FUDU wrote:I disagree about the rust against LSU, let's not forget we came out to a 10-0 lead, maybe just a tad bit of rust, but I think that loss had to do with much more than that. 2007, definitely rust all over the place.

BTW if anybody is recording this I'd love to get a copy, depending on the outcome of course.

Rust last year? No way.

Complete lack of poise in a most unusual t SV way ?

Absolutely.

The snapper is off limits, Austin.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby osucrazy18 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:19 pm

Tosu-31
Texas-24

I am being completely serious in this prediction because of one big reason.
The Texas Tech Vs Ole Miss Game. Big 12 defenses are being exposed for what they really are, weak.
We can win the battle in the seconderies we can win this game.

GO BUCKS!!!
"On an off shooting night all you have is your fundamentals and your momma, cause she believes in you Mo!!!!" - - - Uncle Austin after Clippers 3/11/09 believe baby believe
osucrazy18

Favorite Player: Confidence
Least Favorite Player: KG's mouth

Unread postby Mcreek » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:06 pm

Colt Mcoy will have a field day against the OSU defense that is soft up the middle, weak at one corner and two mediocre safety's.

With a pourous offensive line that is horrific in pass blocking, three slow WR's that are not capable of getting seperation it will be more of the same along the lines of Florida, LSU and USC.

Texas 42
OSU-13

Only possibilty of an upset are turnovers and a ball control offense with Wells and Pryor making big plays.
" No big stars on the team is by design. "We can't afford to have the inefficiencies, even for a great talent. We need to function as efficiently as possible in our clubhouse, and that means guys have to know what it means to be a good teammate. We don't want to waste the energy on dealing with all those distractions. Besides, we value character over talent here in Cleveland---Mark Shapiro
Mcreek

Unread postby KChmura » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:29 pm

Texas: 35
OSU: 17

I like both teams, but Texas is better imo. They shouldnt even be in this game!
KChmura

Favorite Player: Kevin Kouzmanoff
Least Favorite Player: Rafael Betancourt

Unread postby jordan kramer » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:13 pm

i really hope for the Big Ten's sake Ohio State pulls it off. i think Texas really got hosed, robbed, and whamboozled by the BCS and should be playing Florida for the title. if OSU can't get pressure on Colt McCoy the game will get outta hand quickly. Pryor needs to have his best game yet and use his arm and legs. Big 12 defence's are pretty soft (see, the Cotton Bowl) so Beanie should have room to run. OSU's defence just has to get to McCoy and create a few stops.
"i've been gettin G-ed up since i came out the hospital as a baby. i didn't wear pampers, i wore some slacks and some gators on the way home."
"in order for us to grow u gotta know, in order to love the brotherman, u gotta know the otherman. because one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. knick knack paddy wack, give the dog a bone." - Delonte West

"i'm going to pull your endocrine system out of your body" - Gary Busey
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Who cares about this crap?

WE GOT A MUTHA FUCKIN EARTHQUAKE MACHINE!
jordan kramer

Favorite Player: brown eyed girls
Least Favorite Player: my girlfriend

Unread postby Lubber » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:55 pm

Colt McCoy sees his first Real defense of the year

OSU 31
Horns 17
Lubber

Favorite Player: London Fletcher
Least Favorite Player: LeBron James

Unread postby tribefaninsouthernoh » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:59 pm

Texas-31
US-27

I don't think we can stop McCoy.......
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying...Pink Floyd
tribefaninsouthernoh

Favorite Player: Grady
Least Favorite Player: G.Sheffield/H Ward

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:00 pm

Nothing like the best damn band in the land dotting the I for the pregame.

Come on Bucks! Bring the Pride back to the Big Ten and OOOOHIIIOOOO
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby T_N_T » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:02 pm

Ohio State-10
Texas-3

Lets go Bucks!
:spar:
T_N_T

Favorite Player: Asdrubal Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Lebron James

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:04 pm

Hope im wrong.

Texas 38
Buckeyes 20
4thQtrGlory

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Unread postby furls » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:05 pm

I busted out a secret weapon for the game today, the Archie Griffin Jersey. I bought it in 2006 and wore it to one game. Then I invited my Dad down and loaned him the jersey to wear during the game that I was taking him (BGSU). In any case, my Dad thought I gave him the jersey and took it home with him. I didn't have the heart to tell him it was a loner and I let it go. My dad wore it for every game between the BGSU game and last year's LSU game. My dad passed away right before the season started this year, so he never got to wear it this year.

When my step mom came to visit me this Thanksgiving, she brought the jersey with her. I think it will put the Bucks over the top tonight!

FWIW, my brother in law brought me a 12 pack sampler of Great Lakes while he was in town for New Year's, so I will be enjoying the game in true Ohio style in New England!

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby T_N_T » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:08 pm

Furls wrote:I busted out a secret weapon for the game today, the Archie Griffin Jersey. I bought it in 2006 and wore it to one game. Then I invited my Dad down and loaned him the jersey to wear during the game that I was taking him (BGSU). In any case, my Dad thought I gave him the jersey and took it home with him. I didn't have the heart to tell him it was a loner and I let it go. My dad wore it for every game between the BGSU game and last year's LSU game. My dad passed away right before the season started this year, so he never got to wear it this year.

When my step mom came to visit me this Thanksgiving, she brought the jersey with her. I think it will put the Bucks over the top tonight!

FWIW, my brother in law brought me a 12 pack sampler of Great Lakes while he was in town for New Year's, so I will be enjoying the game in true Ohio style in New England!

Furls,

sorry to hear of your loss, but sounds like you had a good relationship with your Dad.

Maybe he can get the big guy to help OSU out tonight :angel:
T_N_T

Unread postby Tymaster » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:14 pm

The Vest can beat Michigan, but other than '03, he can't win bowl games.
UT wins.
Tymaster

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:21 pm

Gonna be a long night for Boone.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby T_N_T » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:23 pm

Stop shooting yourselves in the foot.
T_N_T

Unread postby furls » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:25 pm

wow, nice hold boone, nice illegal substitution, nice drop....

rusty, sloppy, whatever you like to call it.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:25 pm

Swerb wrote:Gonna be a long night for Boone.

Id love to see Oprako in a Browns uni next season, but not at number 5
4thQtrGlory

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Unread postby furls » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:27 pm

but other than '03, he can't win bowl games.

Dude, the guy won in 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, lost the 07NC game, and the 08 NC Game.

Tressel has won his bowl games contrary to popular belief.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:27 pm

GET OFF THE FIELD ON 3rd DOWN.!!!!!!

keep McCoy contained.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby T_N_T » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:32 pm

Furls wrote:

Dude, the guy won in 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, lost the 07NC game, and the 08 NC Game.

I don't understand why people dog on OSU(well I do) just because they lost the national championship game two years in a row, sure they lost, but they still are a good team. People just repeat what they hear on Fox/ESPN.
T_N_T

Unread postby tribefaninsouthernoh » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:37 pm

Good job so far of keeping the Texas O off the field............Go Bucks!!!
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying...Pink Floyd
tribefaninsouthernoh

Favorite Player: Grady
Least Favorite Player: G.Sheffield/H Ward

Unread postby Dozen » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:40 pm

I really really like how they have scripted the offense so far. Alot of different looks that can open up some things later. (hopefully)
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:41 pm

Slide the pass pro to Orakpo. Now.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby projectmayhem » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:41 pm

3-0 bucks!

Any thoughts on the multiple QB system?

(and ya, i know. I tend to randomly disappear for months at a time.)
projectmayhem

Favorite Player: Grady Sizemore
Least Favorite Player: Tim Tebow

Unread postby Dozen » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:42 pm

T_N_T wrote:
Furls wrote:

I don't understand why people dog on OSU(well I do) just because they lost the national championship game two years in a row, sure they lost, but they still are a good team. People just repeat what they hear on Fox/ESPN.

and 1 they had no business being there, they backed in that game big time.

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby furls » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:43 pm

Playcalling has definitely been interesting so far, innovative. I am not sure that having both QBs on the field at the same time is worth trading TP for a real wide out, but this is probably going to set up the bucks for a dump to pryor in the flat.

They have me guessing some which is good. Boone is overmatched, but hopefully he can hold down the fort to some extent. So far Orakpo has a pressure and a hold, so he is winning the match up, but Orakpo is going to make plays. If you are expecting Boone to shut him down then you are crazy. Gholston had his way with Jake Long, Orakpo will make plays on Boone. At least Pryor's legs give him a shot.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:45 pm

Furls wrote:Playcalling has definitely been interesting so far, innovative. I am not sure that having both QBs on the field at the same time is worth trading TP for a real wide out, but this is probably going to set up the bucks for a dump to pryor in the flat.

They have me guessing some which is good. Boone is overmatched, but hopefully he can hold down the fort to some extent. So far Orakpo has a pressure and a hold, so he is winning the match up, but Orakpo is going to make plays. If you are expecting Boone to shut him down then you are crazy. Gholston had his way with Jake Long, Orakpo will make plays on Boone. At least Pryor's legs give him a shot.

I'll trade one of these WRs for Richard Pryor on the field, personally speaking.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:46 pm

McCoy just got blown up

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Guest » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:47 pm

Is it possible to get some new announcers before halftime?

Damn, these two idiots suck.

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:47 pm

And the Buckeyes are definitely hitting and running to the ball.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby projectmayhem » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:48 pm

nice coverage.

didn't really think i'd say that much tonight... but it works for me :)
projectmayhem

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:48 pm

Another big stop on 3rd and 2

Sit down Shipley

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:49 pm

Mitch wrote:Is it possible to get some new announcers before halftime?

Damn, these two idiots suck.

Yeah, these guys are bad. Really bad.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby projectmayhem » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:49 pm

beanie over or under 150 in this game?

:D
projectmayhem

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:49 pm

God, those Beanie stiff-arms are a thing of beauty.
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Unread postby Dozen » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:50 pm

They are PHYSICAL so far........................ala '02 :dingle:

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com