Text Size

College Sports Arena

Big Ten got a little better today, nice hire for MSU

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Big Ten got a little better today, nice hire for MSU

Unread postby furls » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:46 pm

They hired Dantonio out of Cincinnati today, so much for the Big East retaining good coaches.

Anyhow, Dantonio is going to do a GREAT job at MSU and now all of a sudden MSU looks like it might be a good team again. Welcome back to the bowl season MSU fans, see ya next year.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby GreatGoo » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:55 pm

Well thank you! :lol:

I'm real excited what this guy can bring to the table. If he is half the man tressel is the spartans could again become a competitor in the big ten.

- Great BCS/Big Ten coordinator experience

- Head coaching experience at the BCS level

- MSU roots, but not to Perles

- Defensive guy

- Ohio roots

"If sport is to have any value at all, the road traveled, even when it leads to a dead end, should always be a trip worth taking. Without the pain, the champagne, when it finally flows, will have no taste."
GreatGoo
Awaiting First Championship

Favorite Player: TBD
Least Favorite Player: Larry Hughes

Unread postby furls » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:25 pm

He is a hard nosed guy who expects class and humility from his players. He will run a clean program and he will be in charge, no doubt about it. He is a conservative defensive guy first who will be content to stay in games with field position, defense, and judicious use of offense. He will make a HUGE difference up there. When he left after the 2002 NC season we were bummed in Columbus.

I was secretly hoping that if Jim Tressel were to go to the NFL one day that the Buckeyes would bring him back. I cannot think of a stronger endorsment I could give. The one issue I would have with him is that he is one of those coaching prospects that I think will ultimately end up at one of the elite programs, now whether or not he can turn Michigan State into that program has yet to be determined, but based on his work in Cincinnati I think there is a shot.

In Cincinnati he was getting recruits after they had been filtered through about seven other schools (Ohio State, Michigan, West Va, Louisville, etc.) and he was still putting a quality product on the field.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Return to College Sports Arena