Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Tribe Trade Target

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Tribe Trade Target

Unread postby pup » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:30 pm

Screw A-Rod, go get Sheffield. Cliff Lee for Sheff and give him the 3 year $40 mil deal.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby furls » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:47 pm

what?????

Ill pass on aging, expensive, past their prime veterans.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: Tribe Trade Target

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:50 pm

Pup wrote:Screw A-Rod, go get Sheffield. Cliff Lee for Sheff and give him the 3 year $40 mil deal.

after reading Sheff's reaction to his option being exercised I dont think its a good idea to have him in our clubhouse

I'm hoping the Carl Crawford rumours come to fruition

anyway the PD has us going after Moises Alou as our LFer for next season
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby pup » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:24 pm

Ill pass on aging, expensive, past their prime veterans

Please offer a better lf option for 2007, which is all I care about.

I'm hoping the Carl Crawford rumours come to fruition

I think you would be better off hoping to win the 2007 World Series of Poker.

anyway the PD has us going after Moises Alou as our LFer for next season

Well, if the PD says it, it must be true. Why in the world would we go after him? We would pay him close to Sheff money for half the player.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby furls » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:12 pm

Please offer a better lf option for 2007, which is all I care about.

I would rather see Jay Mike there next season than cripple our free agent signings for the next three years for a guy that is past his prime and on the slippery downhill slope at the end of his career. 13million for what sheffield brings is way out of the Indians price range.

I wouldn't even sign sheffield as a free agent for that much let alone give up a pretty good left handed pitcher.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby swerb » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:17 pm

Sheffield is an injury riddled cancer. He's a terrible defender wherever you put him, and we already have Pronk and Garko with lineup spots next year. He's vowed to become a clubhouse terrorist if he gets anything short of 3/40, and anyone who gives this injury prone headcase money like that will deserve what they are getting.

If Sheff was happy with the 1 year 13 mill option the Yanks are about to pick up, it would be a much different story. If the Indians moved Garko for a bullpen arm, I'd roll the dice on Sheff for one year ... but I sure as hell wouldn't move Cliffie for him. And I'm not a huge Cliffie fan.

Moises Alou, Craig Wilson, Trot Nixon ... all are cheaper and saner LF options.

And if you're gonna move assets like Cliffie, and dump 40 mill over the next three years on a headcase vet ... I'd rather it be Manny.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:27 pm

In all honesty, I'd settle for Alou. He would only cost money, and not money and a pitcher. Alou is a step down from Sheffield, but not that much.

And according to the PD the interested are interested in Alou. And, according to the AP, Sheffield stated he will be a problem child to whoever he is traded to.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:49 pm

Well, if the PD says it, it must be true. Why in the world would we go after him? We would pay him close to Sheff money for half the player.

Roughly the same money for half the player?

I beg to differ.

Alou will put up around 30 HRs and 100 RBIs....and an OPS in the .900s. That's not too far off what Sheffield does. And, Alou will cost roughly $5-6M less a season (I believe he made $7-8M this past season). I can't see Alou getting anything more than $16M for 2 years ($8M per).....and I think that is a much saner contract, as well as a much better clubhouse fit.

In fact, I really like the possible addition of Alou. Would be like when we added Murray to the lineup. The question is health....but we have to start taking some calculated risks.
consigliere

Unread postby pup » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:47 pm

3 year averages, before this year:

Sheff - .302, 36 HR, 125 RBI, 116 runs, 11 SB
Alou - ..295, 27, 87,85,3

OPS Sheff has the edge .942-.874

Gary Sheffield is one of the most intimidating right handed hitters in the game.

And, according to the AP, Sheffield stated he will be a problem child to whoever he is traded to.

He said he would be a problem only if they did not extend him. If our big FA signing is Moises Alou we might as well keep Jason Michaels and Casey Blake.

Sheffield is an injury riddled cancer

This is the second time in 8 years he has failed to get 500+ AB, the other one he had 492, so I do not see the injury concern. Alou has over 500 AB's 3 of 6 years. Sheffield is a better defensive left fielder that Alou, better arm, better speed.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby ACrank » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:57 am

Pass on Sheffield - not sure he can play the OF on a regular basis (& he does still have the tag of being a negative clubhouse presence)

i'm not overly thrilled on Alou, but i will take him for one year

Carl Crawford isn't going to happen - Tampa will want more for him then he is worth - and getting him would not allow the Indians to fix the bullpen and 2b (which are more pressing needs then LF)
ACrank
Admitted Apologist

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:14 am

Yes, when both are healthy, Sheffield is a great hitter and Alou a very good hitter. Although, Alou is probably just as clutch, and also a better clubhouse fit......and likely costs you $4-6M less a year and for less years.

Also, everything I have seen is Sheffield may have to DH or play 1B from now. His playing days in the OF appear to be over.

I love the bat....but he doesn't really fit anywhere on the field and in the clubhouse (personality).

I'd rather take that $13M for Sheffield and give $7M to Alou and $5-6M to that Imura guy from Japan to play 2B.
consigliere

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:16 am

ACrank wrote:Pass on Sheffield - not sure he can play the OF on a regular basis (& he does still have the tag of being a negative clubhouse presence)

i'm not overly thrilled on Alou, but i will take him for one year

Carl Crawford isn't going to happen - Tampa will want more for him then he is worth - and getting him would not allow the Indians to fix the bullpen and 2b (which are more pressing needs then LF)

2B can be fixed by Loretta on a 2 year deal, the luna/Inglett platoon would plug the hole until Cabrera is ready

we dont need superstar hitters at every position just a good defender

Pokey Reese would satisfy me at 2nd base for christs sake
especially if it helps us land
Carl Crawford for the next 4 seasons

apparently Tampa is looking for a good starting pitcher and 2 good prospects for him (1 being pitching)

Cliff Lee, Carmona and Kouzmanoff gets her done
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

i like Loretta

Unread postby ACrank » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:42 pm

but with Crowe sticking to the OF - i'd rather see a long term solution to second base....

my pipedream is Orlando Hudson from the DBacks - i believe he is arby eligible and they have a couple of good youngsters coming up - its possible the Indians can get him without giving up a lot if they are willing to take his contract on - and he could solve second base for a few years to come....
ACrank
Admitted Apologist

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:13 am

Yes, one of the writers on this site (Buff) convinced me a few weeks back that Hudson is exactly what we need. I want him.

And, I think Alou is a good fit on a 1-2 year deal. Doesn't really affect Crowe all that much. If they can get Alou on a 1 year deal, that would be perfect.
consigliere

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:26 am

Ack. This will make Sykes happy:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseb ... 2215c.html

Sheff suitors just tune out Sheff
BY SAM BORDEN
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

ST. LOUIS - Gary Sheffield's harsh comments about a potential trade apparently haven't dissuaded teams from inquiring about the Yankees slugger. The Astros and Indians, according to sources, recently have made it known they would be interested in landing Sheffield despite his assertions that he wouldn't be pleased about getting dealt somewhere new for only one year.

GM Brian Cashman did not return calls yesterday, but it's believed that the Yanks are planning to pick up Sheffield's $13million option for 2007 as a precursor to moving him. The Astros are in the market for a power-hitting outfielder and are expected to bid on free agent Carlos Lee, though that could get very expensive; since Sheffield is under contract for only one more year, he is a more attractive financial commitment for a team that isn't able to afford Lee or the other big free-agent slugger, Alfonso Soriano.

Other teams expected to be interested in Sheffield include the Orioles and Angels. It's unlikely that the Yankees will be able to land a top-level player or prospect for Sheffield, but some executives believe they could land an established major leaguer (perhaps a reliever) or a mid-tier prospect. Plus, by picking up Sheffield's option, the Yankees are able to direct where Sheffield goes and can keep him away from a rival such as the Red Sox or Mets.
consigliere

Unread postby pup » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:01 am

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

All we want is a right handed bat to protect Hafner and now one of the top 10 right handed bats in baseball becomes available and nobody wants him because of his attitude. Did you guys all have dinner at Wedge's house over the weekend?

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:13 am

Well, the attitude isn't what concerns me most. I can live with it. It is the apparant issues with his wrist and whether he is anything close to the hitter he once was. Also, what we would have to give up for him.
consigliere

Unread postby pup » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:26 am

Well, I would hope he passes a physical before they traded for him. If his wrist checks out ok then move forward.

According to the article you posted, it does not appear that we would have to send anything more than Cliff Lee, who I do not mind dealing and an extension.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Re: i like Loretta

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:45 am

ACrank wrote:but with Crowe sticking to the OF - i'd rather see a long term solution to second base....

my pipedream is Orlando Hudson from the DBacks - i believe he is arby eligible and they have a couple of good youngsters coming up - its possible the Indians can get him without giving up a lot if they are willing to take his contract on - and he could solve second base for a few years to come....

I'm really high on ACab and Eider Torres

one of them will emerge as the star at second

ACab in the Omar mould (great defence and table setter with some speed and timely hitting)

while Torres is a good overall hitter (280+ in Majors?) and can steal 50 bases

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby ACrank » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:59 am

having seen Torres play - i don't share your enthusiasm for him - his upside is utility infielder, at best....

Cabrera i don't know that much about

i still think the Indians need a long term solution at second base
ACrank
Admitted Apologist

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:26 pm

Yeah, Cabrera is something to get excited about defensively.....but Torres is just good depth. The is Ramon Vazquez with speed. :D
consigliere

LOL

Unread postby ACrank » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:11 pm

If Torres is good enough to do what Vazquez did in the majors then Danny is going to be closer to being right about Torres then i am
ACrank
Admitted Apologist

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:39 am

Consigliere wrote:Yeah, Cabrera is something to get excited about defensively.....but Torres is just good depth. The is Ramon Vazquez with speed. :D

the kids only 22 and that kind of name calling is extremely harsh

no player wants to be compared with that garbage

might aswell call Marte mario Mendoza while your at it

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby consigliere » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:27 pm

Torres is a dime a dozen player. Nice to have in the system, but nothing to get excited about. If he could become Ramon Vazquez, he should be happy. :D
consigliere

Unread postby rigs » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:15 pm

Pup,
Wedge couldnt handle Bradley or Phillips... and they were making the league minimum. Even talking about Sheffield coming here is wasted time, they would never invest that much money in a player only to find out in a month that Wedge cant deal with him...
rigs

Favorite Player: Jeff Mutis
Least Favorite Player: Dave Otto

Unread postby pup » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:25 pm

Pup,
Wedge couldnt handle Bradley or Phillips... and they were making the league minimum. Even talking about Sheffield coming here is wasted time, they would never invest that much money in a player only to find out in a month that Wedge cant deal with him...

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

OK. So we get to add Sheff and fire/accept resignation of Wedge. I like it even more now.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB