Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Kenny Rogers...cheater or not?

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Kenny Rogers...cheater or not?

Unread postby consigliere » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:29 am

Man, I was going to get on here today after last night's game and commend the guy on such a dominating postseason run.

But then the news breaks of him possibly cheating.

I've seen the replays and evidence as presented on SC....folks, that is clearly pine tar or some foreign substance. Rogers is full of shit that it was a clump of dirt or that he didn't know it was even there.

Should be interesting if anything comes from this. Rogers is a lying, cheating prick though. Never liked him....and it seems he has gotten over on the Yanks, A's and now the Cards with the help of a doctored ball.

Does MLB have the balls to suspend him for the rest of the postseason given the evidence?
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby dpdad » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:47 am

oes MLB have the balls to suspend him for the rest of the postseason given the evidence?

In a word, no. Only if Rogers was literally caught in the act. During the middle of the first inning, a ball ended up in the Cards dugout. You could see LaRussa and others inspecting it. It was shiny and sticky looking, just like pine tar would be. I'm surprised LaRussa didn't run out on the field right then and complain. He probably could have gotten Rogers thrown out right then and there. But now, after the fact, it's too late.
dpdad

Unread postby swerb » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:57 am

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby swerb » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:02 am

Kenny Rogers was cheating last night, and has cheated throughout most of his career IMO.

The above photo clearly shows pine tar on his hand. Since the beginning of time, pitchers have used pine tar in cold weather to get a better grip, and more rotation on breaking balls in the cold weather as the baseballs get hard as rocks, and are difficult to grip.

I cannot believe LaRussa did not pursue this more aggressively! It's the World Series! However, it looks as if his friendship with Leyland played a role. Had that been Barry Zito, Ken Macha, and the A's ... you can bet your bottom dollar that LaRussa goes nuts.

This all said, Rogers was "busted" in the 1st inning. In innings 2 through 8, free of pine tar, he gave up just one hit.

Dude is on his game right now. I cannot believe he had the balls to trot out to the mound in game 2 of the WS with a big glob of pine tar on his hand.

ESPECIALLY with all these TV cameras today!
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby pup » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:04 pm

This all said, Rogers was "busted" in the 1st inning. In innings 2 through 8, free of pine tar, he gave up just one hit.

Not having visible pine tar on his hand for the rest of the game does not equate to him not cheating. It just means he changed the substance.

Tony LaRussa just turned out to be the biggest piece of garbage in baseball history and I wonder what Walt Jocketty's opinion of him has become. He obviously chose to not make a bigger deal of it. Even if it turned out to be nothing, with a maniac like Kenny Rogers involved, just aksing the question and calling him on it could be enough to send Rogers off the deep end.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby furls » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:29 pm

We all know that there are RULES, rules, and "rules."

I am by NO means a Kenny Rogers apologist, actually I think he is a dick.

According to most baseball people I have heard, they are all treating this like it is not that big of a deal because he broke a "rule," one of those rules that is on the books but is largely unenforced. I understand why these guys would use some pine tar in the cold, once your hand gets cold and dry it would definetly be harder to hold on to the ball.

Rogers was dominating without the pine tar. I guess the worst part is that he didn't come clean, but how could he. If he were to come clean and not treat us all like we were suckers, he would be subject to a suspension.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby pup » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:00 pm

Why would he be subject to suspension if he was doing nothing wrong.

Here is another photo of Rogers, not cheating:
http://si.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gall ... nt.10.html

Please notice the date. Don't think it was too cold on that day.

It is largely unenforeced because it is difficult to detect someone doctoring the ball. I can assure you though, that anyone who is caught CHEATING is dealt with.

It is sad really and contributed to one of my worst days as a fan. A team and story to believe in and now it looks like just another fraud.

Browns blow, Indians are all set to finish second in the running for about 6 free agents and I don't even want to spoil the Cavs before they get started, but it is Cleveland and always will be. And now teams I latch onto so I can try to enjoy a post season run still find a way to make me wonder why I watch sports.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby furls » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:07 pm

I am not saying he did not break a rule, I am saying he broke a "rule", much like that computer you bought for "business" or that hobby stuff you printed on the corporate printer, or the personal call you made on the cell phone.

Technically a rule was broken, but someone has to actually enforce it for it go from being a "rule" to a RULE.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby pup » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:48 pm

So I am sure, if Michigan holds on every play against the Buckeyes, but they never get called for it, they did not break any RULES and you will be ok with that.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:41 pm

cheat obviously

did u see the pics of the muck on his hand? it certainly wasnt dirt off the pitchers mound it looked sticky and like pine tar

Detroit cheats! I should've known

i didnt think it was possible for me to hate the Tigers anymore
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby furls » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:00 pm

So I am sure, if Michigan holds on every play against the Buckeyes, but they never get called for it, they did not break any RULES and you will be ok with that.

This is kind of a "non sequitur" argument. It doesnt really follow. The problem is that holding is routinely called and enforced in college football. Do they get it all the time? Nope, but I am confident that when they see it, they call it.

Baseball on the other hand, tacitly allows cheating. Eveyone snickers and giggles when talking about the Gaylord Perry spitter or the Mike Scott fingernail file ball.

Rogers is clearly a cheater, but he is lucky. He cheats in a league where they don't really penalize cheaters. Personally, I think he should be suspended for the duration of the year.

Also, I think all game bats should be inspected and certified prior to each game. Cheaters of all sorts should meet severe penalties. Baseball has an image problem right now. Everyone is questioning the integrity of the game, and frankly, integrity questioned is integrity lost!
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby pup » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:59 am

This is kind of a "non sequitur" argument. It doesnt really follow

Agreed, but needed something.

****Conspiracy Theory Alert****

Baseball has an image problem for sure. It starts with the steroids and HGH. Since there is no way to test for HGH, I am sure players are still taking it. So what if Bud Selig came down with a plan to keep homers down and the plan is to allow the pitchers to cheat? I heard a bullpen coach say 60% do it. That is a lot!!

****End of Alert****

There is no way, even 10 years ago that 60% of MLB pitchers used pine tar and if they did, why didn't anyone tell me? While I was out destroying all the nerves in my elbow trying to throw 100 MPH, all I had to do was take some juice and use some pine tar in my glove? DAMN IT!

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby swerb » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:19 am

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB