Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Whatcha Think About This ...

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Whatcha Think About This ...

Unread postby swerb » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:48 am

Forgot where I heard/read this, but I love the idea.

Add a second wildcard to the MLB Playoffs on each side, so five teams make it in each league. The two wild card teams play a three game series right after the season ends for the right to play the #1 seed.

This does several things IMO ...

~Makes the playoff race more exciting for more teams with an extra WC getting it.

~Rightfully gives the #1 seed a little more rest, and a team coming off a three game set played at playoff intensity. Right now the #1 seed often has to play another division winner. Home field is nice, but many teams have rested starters late in the reg season in the past as opposed to going balls out for home field. Also allows the #1 seed to set their rotation.

Not only would this make more games meaningful for more teams in Spet with the extra WC, it would put a premium on the race for the #1 seed as well. Still only 10/30 MLB teams would get in the playoffs, which is far less of a % than any other major sport.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:35 am

Nah, I don't like it. I'm not a big fan of byes. I think 4 teams in each league makes the whole postseason special. It isn't diluted like the NHL or NBA. 8 out of 30 teams making the playoffs means something when you get in.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB