Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Steroids

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Steroids

Unread postby furls » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:45 pm

I find it interesting that everyone talks about steroids when talking about Barry Bonds, but they usually only say something about the elite players. Bonds was a terrific player who became an All-Time elite with steroids, but what about all the guys who were just average who became good with the help of the "juice." Do you guys ever wonder what mediocre players were using roids to become decent/good? I do.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby swerb » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:00 pm

Brady Anderson
Bret Boone
Jay Bell
Javy Lopez
Luis Gonzalez
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby pup » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:05 pm

My thought is that more of the "middle-level" players are taking the stuff than the big time stars. I would say bullpen guys are the #1 abusers, then sluggers, then starting pitching.

If you break down MLB into 3 categories and could group the players as the top third middle third and bottom third your curve would go way up in the middle. If I had to guess, it would look a little like this:

Top 3rd - 20% usage
Middle 3rd - 40% usage
Bottom 3rd - 10%

The top third that use are the ones that are afraid their legacy will be as a mediocre player even though they are much better then that. Some sort of a inferiority complex.
The middle third would think they can make a jump to the top 3rd and use the excuse that they are sure most of the top 3rd has to be using them to be better then they are.
The bootom third are guys that are trying to hang on and have a couple more "years in the sun".

*******The numbers are used to show a point, I don't think 23% of the league is on the juice, but I am not sure if it is higher or lower :lol: :lol:
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

i find it more interesting

Unread postby ACrank » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:12 am

that there is little or no talk about the middle level management people (on up) who knew steroids were being used and did nothing about it...

frankly i can understand the Randy Velarde's or the fringe players who were given a handful of pills and told - psst, if you want to stay/make it to the show take these....considering how much time and effort many of these players put in to get to where they were/are, it doesn/t surprise me that they would go to whatever ends to attain their goal...

i can even understand Barry Bonds thinking 'well McGwire and Sosa are taking them and look at what they are getting with it - why shouldn't i do the same'.....

but its the people who knew and who only cared about the HRs because they wanted the attendance who i just can't understand - they are the real villians of the piece and for the most part escaping unnoticed....

thats the crime here....
ACrank
Admitted Apologist

Unread postby swerb » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:22 pm

The Jason Grimsley fallout continues.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2609699

Tak about a bombshell ... The Rocket, on the juice. Pup, you might still be able to get all those Clemens cards up on ebay. :wink:

Roger Clemens, Andy Pettite, Miguel Tejada, Brian Roberts, and Jay Gibbons are the latest to be outed.

Aside from Pettite, none of these surprise me.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby furls » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:53 pm

Not even sort of surprised, but then again, nothing pro athletes do now surprises me.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby pup » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:59 am

Aside from Pettite, none of these surprise me

Roger Clemens is not on steroids. Pettite is probably the most likely on the list because he is too much of a puss to handle the off season program that Clemens puts him through. You know the off season program that Clemens has been doing for 30 years to get himself in the shape he is in now. Jason Grimsley? We are listening to Jason Grimsley?

The feds have already come out and said the names that are being reported are inaccurate, so I wouldn't be checking e-bay for any Rocket cards from me.

This goes right up there with the Clemens sat out the first half as a suspension. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB