Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Sabathia

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Sabathia

Unread postby Birdman » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:55 am

I've noticed a lot of talk in the papers the last couple days regarding C.C. finally being at a "No. 1 starter" level. He is 19-9 with a 2.90 ERA since August 1 of last year. Seems to me the consistency may finally be there. I haven't seen one of those 3 inning 6 run starts in a while. Any thoughts?
Birdman
bullseyetcnaz.com

Unread postby swerb » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:13 pm

I had third row seats right behind the dish with Pup, The Consigliere, and Stevie DiFranco last Tuesday for that gem.

CC looked absolutely dominant, just losing his concentration for a couple batters in the 6th. He made good hitter after good hitter (Wells, Glaus, Rios, Molina) look totally foolish.

As Buff mentioned in yesterday's B-List, he made just one poor pitch all night, the pitch he surrendred the double to Jason Phillips on.

For me, with CC, his inconsistencies have all been mental over the years. His stuff is as good as just about anyone in the league. And a sub 3.00 ERA in the AL, in todays age ... is a much more significant accomplishment than I think most people realize.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby pup » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:57 pm

CC is all about what sits between his ears. When he goes out and keeps his head in the game and pitches his way around trouble, it is very fun to watch. Over the last year, I find it hard to believe there is a better left-hander in the game.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Birdman » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:27 pm

I couldn't agree more. I was there for the game he said he quit earlier this year. That is the only start I can remember from this season that it looked like his mind was out of the game. Can't really blame him for that considering it was one of the worst innings of baseball I have seen.

I would like to see C.C. pitch in a big must win game following a losing streak. I remember this scenario a couple times last year that he wasn't very sharp. In my opinion, being able to stop a losing skid is one of the most important aspects for your No. 1 guy.
Birdman
bullseyetcnaz.com

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:11 pm

Pup wrote:Over the last year, I find it hard to believe there is a better left-hander in the game.

What, no love for Johan? :wink:

Seriously though, Sabathia is a keeper, and I hope the rumblings of an extension being worked on with him this offseason come to fruition. Not sure he is bonafide ace material yet, but he is damn close and scrathing at the surface.

If Sowers stays healthy, and Miller gets up here sometime next year....that is an incredible 1-2-3 punch in 2008 (with Lee your #4 and whoever #5).
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby furls » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:39 pm

Thought he signed an extension through '09 for about 9mil per year. I could be smoking crack or something, but I could've sworn they had him locked up for a couple more.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby consigliere » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:16 am

He's locked up for 2 more years (07 and 08).
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB