Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

do you care anymore

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

do you care anymore

Unread postby jd jr » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:27 pm

i find myself watching these indians games every night and not caring anymore . it is like watching the captins. no fundamentals . this team blows cant wait for the browns to start.
jd jr

Unread postby pup » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:48 pm

I would have to say that will be the majority opionion. I still watch/listen to them every chance I get, but it is very difficult. Maybe next year they will take some time in Spring Training to address the piss poor fundamentals.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby GreatGoo » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:48 pm

If i'm bored and have nothing else to do i'll watch the tribe game. I like watching the rookies more then the vets besides pronk and vic. When boone comes up its usually a channel flick. I already know the outcome. :lol:
GreatGoo
Awaiting First Championship

Favorite Player: TBD
Least Favorite Player: Larry Hughes

Unread postby furls » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:33 pm

If i'm bored and have nothing else to do i'll watch the tribe game. I like watching the rookies more then the vets besides pronk and vic. When boone comes up its usually a channel flick. I already know the outcome.

No you dont sometimes he hits those double plays 5-4-3 too.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Birdman » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:31 pm

I have never felt more hatred towards a sports team than the 06 Indians. It makes me sick watching games but I still find myself watching at least parts of every game.
Birdman
bullseyetcnaz.com

Unread postby pup » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:04 pm

Was just reading some website's newest power poll, and the Indians comment including....from a visiting scout "There is no fanbase in the whole league right now that is nearly as pissed off as Tribe fans, including the Cubs".

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby furls » Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:36 pm

It is shocking to me that Eric Wedge still has his job. A manager is not responsible for the talent that the team fields, but he is responsible for the way that the talent on the field performs.

This team has underachieved like no team that I can remember. There is so much talent out there, but they cannot do the FUNDAMENTAL things that teams are supposed to do. They are horrid in the field, they cannot advance runners, have you ever seen this team sac bunt?

Those are all the responsibilities of the manager. Have you seen the way that Wedge, being the nice guy that he is, will leave a struggling pitcher out there in the 5th so that he can get his win? How many times have you seen him leave Wickman out there when there is NO WAY IN HELL he should?

I love a manager that is loyal to his players, but I do not like one that is a slave to his players. This team lacks discipline, direction, and leadership.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby pup » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:21 pm

Preaching to the choir my friend.

From MAY 12th.......

http://www.swerbsblurbs.com/article_detail.php?id=366

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:02 pm

It'll be just as fun from here on out to watch them this season, but just the focus has changed. Rather than focus on winning and the intensity of a pennant race the second half, we'll get to see a lot of the young kids get extended looks to evaluate them for next year. For most, they could care less about that.....but to me, that is almost as much fun as winning.

Don't expect many changes with the coaching staff, if any, for next season.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby furls » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:59 am

Q: Are you happy with the way Eric has managed this year?

A: I'm not happy with anyone's performance this year. None of us are happy with our own performances. Mine, Eric's, the players'. Very few players, other than (Travis) Hafner and (Grady) Sizemore, really. But that doesn't mean that I'm unhappy to the point I'm looking to make changes. I look at Eric as a vested member of our group and a leader that is going to help us be what we're going to be.

The key thing to get out of this year is we need to have learned something from what we've gone through thus far. We need to get better from it. We need to make this be part of our experience in becoming the team we're going to be. If that doesn't happen, then this was bad, this was catastrophic. If that happens, then this is part of our foundation. That's what we need to insure.

We're screwed.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby woodsmeister » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:55 pm

Furls wrote: Have you seen the way that Wedge, being the nice guy that he is, will leave a struggling pitcher out there in the 5th so that he can get his win? How many times have you seen him leave Wickman out there when there is NO WAY IN HELL he should?

Given the way his bullpen has performed this year, if a starter doesn't have it, he's damned if he leaves the starter in and damned if he goes to the bullpen. I have a hard time blaming Wedge for his players not performaing, since these are mostly the same players who didn't make these same mistakes last year.

My theory is that this team has lost its mojo. It is totally and completely mojoless. That's the only way I can figure about why this team loses games in such different, creative and unpredictable ways. One night it's the starters, the next the defense, or baserunning, or bullpen, or situational hitting.

Just once in my lifetime, I would like a Cleveland team be the "Team o' Destiny." Last year, the White Sox were the Team O'Destiny. The Steelers - Team o'Destiny. This year - Tigers - Team O'Destiny. When does it get to be our turn?
woodsmeister

Unread postby furls » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:35 pm

hard time blaming Wedge for his players not performaing, since these are mostly the same players who didn't make these same mistakes last year.

You almost make my point for me. If it was one or two players you couldnt blame Wedge, but since it is the entire team it is either the team is not talented or they are not focused. Now as you so aptly pointed out, they did not make these mistakes last year, so it probably not a talent issue.

While it is tempting to ask how could it be the manager's problem when they didnt have one last year? The answer is simple, sometimes for one reason or another a leader becomes ineffective, his subordinates stop responding to him.

These problems are not just about a bad bullpen. How many runners have you seen sitting at third with less than 2 outs that did not score in a close game? That is inexcusable. The errors? The baserunning? Even more disturbing are C.C.'s comments about the team "giving up". All of those land squarely on the manager.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB