Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

B-list 6-27-06

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

B-list 6-27-06

Unread postby Jon Cohodas » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:32 pm

Buff wrote:

Still, Lee came to the plate in the third with no outs and Gutierrez (who got a hit!) on first, which would almost seem to DEMAND that Inertia Man have him bunt. He did not, and struck out instead.

Lee came to the plate in the fifth with no outs and Gutierrez (who got an EXTRA-BASE hit!) on second, which would almost seem to SCREAM STRIDENTLY that Inertian Man have him bunt. He did not, but advanced Gutierrez on a groundout anyway.

Now, my guess is that Cliff Lee is a lousy bunter. Again, no big whoop, but this would mean that:

a) Eric Wedge realized the skill set of the player
b) Adjusted his strategy accordingly

I'm guessing that you may not have watched the 3rd inning AB? Here is what happened:

Lee tries (poorly) to bunt by poking the bat out rather than letting the ball hit bat for strike 1. (Pitch would have been a ball, BTW)

Lee tries (poorly) to bunt by poking the bat out rather than letting the ball hit bat for strike 2. (Pitch would have been a ball, BTW)

Lee sets up to bunt 0-2 but this time he brings the bat back and gets a ball called.

Lee whiffs.

---
You may credit Wedge's acumen on Lee's second AB (facetiously or not), but I prefer to blame him for not properly coaching a MLB player on how to hold a bat still.
“I don’t care what he does with the ball because I know nine times out of 10, he’s going to make the play to win the ballgame.”
- Mike Brown on LeBron James
Jon Cohodas
Cavs Writer

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB