Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Welcome Back!!!

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Welcome Back!!!

Unread postby pup » Wed May 31, 2006 1:14 pm

Roger Clemens has signed to return to the Houston Astros, ending his "retirement" less than 8 months into it. He will pitch a couple of games in Single A, where he will be caught by Astros prospect and Rocket's son Koby. Clemens is targeting late June for his first start with Houston, but I see no reason why he won't be ready to go by Mid-June. Not sure what has me more excited...the fact that my all time favorite athlete will be playing or another season, or that the other owners in my auction league let me steal him realatively cheaply and now I have the best rotation, possibly in league history.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Guest » Wed May 31, 2006 1:48 pm

Prorated $22 mill
Nice

Unread postby pup » Wed May 31, 2006 1:51 pm

Actually - $22,000,022 so the number is in there. I guess they are lucky he doesn't wear 72.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Guest » Wed May 31, 2006 2:01 pm

They still would have paid it
Good for him

Unread postby consigliere » Wed May 31, 2006 6:54 pm

Great for Rocket.....but bad for baseball.

This is idiotic how the Astros (and other teams) allowed this. What's next? The Baseball Tonight crew is right that this could lead to other stars like Curt Schilling, Barry Bonds sitting out ST and the first few months in future years.

Nothing against the Rocket. I like him. I just think this could be a potential problem in the future as other players look to capitalize on what the Rocket did.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby pup » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:16 am

I don't see that happening. This was a very unique situation that will never repeat itself. If the Astros had just signed him in January, there would have been no question that Roger would have been in Spring Training. He just was not going to play anywhere but Houston, so he had no choice to wait until May 1st, when I think a deal would have been completed, but Roger wanted to wait for his son to come off the DL so he could pitch to him in his minor league stint. As big of a Rocket fan as I am, I find it a little odd that nobody is bitching about his choice to wait the extra month. I know they are trying to make it seem like it was a coincidence, but come on.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB