Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

The B-List: 4/11

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

The B-List: 4/11

Unread postby swerb » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:36 pm

Did this team get replaced by the '99 team and no one told me?

1) Wonder Twins Power - Activate!

Form of ... a power-hitting shortstop! Shape of ... an ice donkey! Or something like that! As long as there's no space monkey involved! (I hated that thing.) Sure, Travis Hafner hitting a home run is not exactly new (since it's his fifth ... in seven games), but Jhonny Peralta goes yard for the first time. This augments a 3-hit performance including a double that lifts his average to .300. Did I mention that both homers came with two outs? Or that neither player had swung at a previous pitch (Peralta 2-1, Hafner 0-2)? Maybe Washburn didn't have five innings of stuff, but give these guys credit for waiting him out.

2) Did I mention the power?

Of the Indians' 13 hits, 6 were for extra bases. The only one that didn't lead directly to a run was because they intentionally walked Hafner after Peralta's double. And by the way, one was by Victor Martinez batting right-handed, which was a concern last season (that all his power was from the left side).

3) My Favorite Player Lacks Stamina!

1st 3 innings: 0 hits, 1 BB, 5 Ks (4 swinging). That's dominant.

4th/5th inning: 1 hit, 3 swinging Ks, 2 lineouts. That's good, but the hit was a double and the outs were hard-hit.

6th inning: 2 extra-base hits to middle infielders, including one named "Yuniesky." One other hit, an inning-ending lineout with two on, and 2 runs.

Look, 6 innings with 4 H, 1 BB, 2 R, and 8 K is a very tidy start. Who's complaining? But check out the 4/5 B-List:

Through three innings, I would have told you that Cliff Lee was our best pitcher. Through five innings, I would have said one ball was really clobbered, but that's a heckuva start.

What goes unsaid is that Lee largely turned into a newt in the sixth inning and did not get better. It's early in the year and the man has stuff, but we're going to need a starter that goes more than six at some point in the season. By the way, when did Cliff Lee become Eric Milton? 9 fly ball outs and 1 grounder? He got 18 outs, and ONE was a ground ball. Huh?

4) The Wisdom of Nibbling with a SIX RUN LEAD

If Scott Sauerbeck throws Raul Ibanez the fattest pitch imaginable, we would have been down 9-4. If Matt Miller throws an R. A. Dickey knuckleball to Richie Sexson, the score balloons to the unsurmountable deficit of ... well ... negative four. Now, I am not advocating this as a long-term strategy, and Sauerbeck did throw three strikes to Ibanez (he fouled 'em off), but for cryin' out loud, they loaded the bases without getting a goddam hit. That's twice in two Lee starts! (The first time was Lee's fault, as he attempted to play Plunk-A-Mole with the White Sox.) Thank goodness Miller throws such gunk that Everett grounded into a double play.

5) You, you're not good.

It's early, and blah blah blah, but I'm lookin' at Seattle and I see:

1 guy hitting .300 (Johjima)
2 guys cast off from the White Sox, who were a lousy offensive team (Borchard, Everett)
2 middle infielders I could not identify with access to the FBI's internal website
2 guys whom Seattle oversigned after career years (Beltre, Ibanez)
5 pitchers were the lowest ERA is 5.40 (granted, we have a guy with a 21.00, so these things change)

I'd take Suzuki, Sexson, and Petagine. What does Roberto Petagine have to do, anyway? Hit Carl Everett with a dinosaur bone?

6) Early All-Star Voting

Ho hum, three more hits for Victor Martinez. Why does anyone throw Travis Hafner a strike? How about the guy hitting .444 behind him? Not the very best baserunner ever to wear a Cleveland uniform, but this seems like picking the very smallest nit possible.

7) The continued rehabilitation of Casey Blake

1-for-4 doesn't look like much. Heck, he struck out twice. But the second one was a brutal call on 3-2, and he worked that double out of Washburn. I see a different player.

8) There is no Last Minute

6 of the 9 runs were driven home with 2 outs. Runners left in scoring position, 2 out: 1. Something seems different from last year, I just can't put my finger on it ...

(BTW: Seattle stranded 7, 5 of whom were in scoring position. Doh!)

9) Did I mention I hate the Minnesota bullpen?

Crain actually stunk, but Nathan got the one-run save. Stupid A's.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: The B-List: 4/11

Unread postby gnati » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:09 pm

Maybe Washburn didn't have five innings of stuff,

Maybe?

Maybe he didn't have one batter stuff.

Wowzers, I know he never threw hard, but when did he become...me? Outside of a mullet and the righthanded thing I fail to see how Washburn is different than Danny Graves.

Did the Devil call in his marker on the guy?

On a related note, I went to opening day at Fenway yesterday...and if anyone can tell me the difference in either physical appearance or stuff between Josh Towers and a moderately good high school pitcher, I am all ears.

3) My Favorite Player Lacks Stamina

Not sure if you actually saw it, but there was an AB for Carl Everett that broke the unintentional comedy meter. Lee threw some 88mpher with movement and Everett swung at it like he was two fisting a fly swatter and trying to smack a mosquito...and missed and then looked at Lee like he was a Tyrannasaurus Rex.

I didn't see a change in velocity as Lee went on...but they damn sure saw something that changed how they saw the ball.

By the way, when did Cliff Lee become Eric Milton?

Easy, jtfc will advocate bringing Lee to the nati as the missing piece to a pennant run.

The Wisdom of Nibbling with a SIX RUN LEAD

You have your peeve that is a pet, I have mine.

How the fuck hard is it to look at an opposing pitchers pitch count and say to yourself...under no circumstances am I going to swing at the first pitch, this guy is all over the place? It happened again with Santana the other day...36 pitches in the first inning, 9 in the second...guys were swinging (at balls) before they even go to the plate. Fat Ronnie is the worst offender, but there are others...drives me crazy.
gnati

Favorite Player: .
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby swerb » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:31 pm

Buff, I thought for sure we would get ...

3. Where is the rest of Mike Hargrove?

Dude dropped some lbs ...
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Jumbo » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:35 pm

Did this team get replaced by the '99 team and no one told me?

Whether intentional or not, spot-on: checked out of curiousity, and '99 the Indians lost their first game and then won their next 8 en route to 16-6 in April. That would be acceptable.

Or that neither player had swung at a previous pitch (Peralta 2-1, Hafner 0-2)?

Now that's shocking. Surprising there was no mention of the fact that the Indians had seen something like 20 pitches in the first 3 innings, and only 3 pitches in one of those innings. It's intriguing if Shelton can really get them to change their approach so dramatically...like, Washburn has nothing, just go up there and hack.

Skipping tonight's game for a moment: It'll be interesting to see how they (and teams in general) approach Felix Hernandez. The Mariners relief ERA is 6.26. Each at-bat should be a minimum of 5 pitches, rather than the maximum of 4 last night (how many 3-2 counts were there against Washburn? 1?).

6) Early All-Star Voting

One of the newspaper stories of last night's game had something like, "Victor Martinez should not surprise Indians' fans, who have become used to excellent offense from the catcher position since they had Sandy Alomar." I expect V-Mart to be sufficiently disrespected that he goes 4-5 tonight with two doubles and four RBI.

ASG's in Pittsburgh, right? Hmm...will be interesting to see whether they select one or both of the DHs.

On a related note, I went to opening day at Fenway yesterday...

It took me six years to reach "Closet Red Sox Fan" status. But gnati, only three months? It's wrong! It's wrong! It's...wrong...

:wink:
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Favorite Player: is not Buster Posey
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby gnati » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:07 pm

Swerb wrote:Buff, I thought for sure we would get ...

3. Where is the rest of Mike Hargrove?

Dude dropped some lbs ...

Didn't you hear, steroid testing in baseball.
gnati

Favorite Player: .
Least Favorite Player: .

grover-less

Unread postby BruceK » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:23 pm

from today's PD

"Weight watcher: Former Indians and current Mariners manager Mike Hargrove is trying to shed some of the extra weight he'd packed on in recent seasons. He's dropped 40 pounds. "Sharon [Hargrove's wife] and me got a personal trainer over the winter," he said. "That, and no more fried food."
BruceK
BJKResearch.com

Favorite Player: Reggie Dunlop
Least Favorite Player: Ogie Oglethorpe

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:45 pm

Fat Ronnie is the worst offender, but there are others...drives me crazy.

On a sidenote, with Broussard, Blake and Boone off to good starts....well, mainly Blake and Boone......could Belliard become "The Killer Bee?"

Way too early....although, if the Killer B's of last year shrink from three to one, that is a positive, right? And, that Killer B being a FA-to-be to boot.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB