Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Jason Frieking Johnson

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Jason Frieking Johnson

Unread postby swerb » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:49 pm

Wow.

I was clicking like a maniac with the Masters on as well, but from what I saw from Johnson was pretty impressive.

7 strong. 4 hits and a walk. No runners past second. A crisp looking sinker, that yielded multiple clutch double play balls.

It's just one start, but Shapiro's comment that Johnson "presented the most value of any SP in free agency" sure looks alot more sage-like tonight.

Little snippet from Buff's column he wrote about Johnson he wrote in early March ...

http://www.swerbsblurbs.com/article_det ... e=indians&

Guy Three (Jason Johnson) doesn't strike anyone out, ether, but his BABIP those three seasons are .311, .314, and .300, which is just on the high side of "normal." He's cut his WHIP/9 down each year by cutting his walk rate, and when he gives up hits, they're less likely to leave the park (a HR/9 of 1.5 for Elarton is truly bad). For those fans of trend analysis, Johnson's GB/FB ratios from way back: 0.69, 0.83, 0.92, 1.09, 1.18, 1.31, 1.67, 1.74. I'm not sure if that's especially meaningful, but to turn from an extreme flyball pitcher to a significant groundball pitcher is probably pretty weird.

Now, it's been floated that Johnson's stamina is in question, and that he slows down in the back half of the year. First of all, the man throws 200 innings a year and never misses a start, averaging about 6 1/3 IP per start last season. How much stamina are you asking for? Second, if Johnson falls apart (which I consider unlikely), then bring up Sowers for a few starts. I see no big problem here.

For what it's worth, Johnson's PECOTA percentile graph pretty much sits on top of the league average projection. He is Average Man.

And for a fifth starter, that's awfully useful.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby pup » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:42 pm

Very impressive day for Johnson.

And how good is Travis fucking Hafner?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby consigliere » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:38 pm

Only one start, but Johnson is making me look good so far in defending his signing this offseason. :lol:
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB