Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

What about Westbrook?

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

What about Westbrook?

Unread postby consigliere » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:53 pm

Cliff Lee didn't get his long-term deal....yet.

But, what about Westbrook? Last offseason, we signed him to a 2-year deal with a club option for a third (which I assume is a no-brainer we will pick up). I think Westbrook has proven himself, and I'd like to see them extend him now if they can. Maybe go the route of Sabathia last year, where they agreed to pick up the option and tacked on two years to his deal.

Would be nice to have Sabathia, Westbrook, Byrd and Lee locked in the next 3 years. Then, all you have to do is let Sowers, Carmona, Adam Miller, etc battle it out for the #5.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby pup » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:57 pm

I think Westbrook has been fine, but for the kids to get their shots, someone will have to go. Maybe he will be included in this big deal we will make around the deadline.

If Carmona comes up and shows he belongs on the 15th, what are they going to do? Send him back to Buffalo when CC is back?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:12 am

If the Indians trade Westbrook midseason, that is a big loss if you ask me. If Carmona performs, you look to trade or release Jason Johnson then.

We'll worry about that problem if and when it happens. CC has to get healthy, and Carmona needs to show outstanding stuff in 3-5 starts before you start considering releasing/trading Johnson.
consigliere

Unread postby pup » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:32 am

They will not release anybocy making more money than Swerb, and their is no trade market for Jason Johnson. Now a kid, a Blake and a Westbrook is pretty enticing for a right fielder trade.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:18 pm

You are right, they won't release Johnson (unless he turns into Chris Nabholtz)....but I'm sure you could dump Johnson on some team for a low level non-impact prospect if you just wanted to dump him. In no way do I consider trading Westbrook right now, unless you are getting Miguel Cabrera or some other young premium RFer type in return. And, Westbrook isn't the type that will get you that.
consigliere

Unread postby swerb » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:18 pm

Westbrook looked very good in his first start, but no need to start talking extension now.

The Indians have an option on him for next year at 7 mill, no?

CC and Lee are under the Indians control the next three years. Byrd for two more.

I thought it was likely the Indians would deal Westbrook this past off-season, but it never happened. Now that the season started, I can't see an Indians team with post season aspirations dealing him in season, unless it's Westbrook + ________ for an upgrade at SP.

Ultimately, what happens with him will depend on the progress and readiness of Carmona and Sowers, no? His performace obviously factoring as well.

The way I see it, looking at 2007, you have CC, Lee, Byrd. Count on one of either Sowers or Carmona. And then you judge next off-season if youd rather have Jake at 7 mill, or dump Jake and use that $$$ on a one year rental a la the Millwood signing of a year ago.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:25 am

Without looking, Jake has an option at $5.6 or $5.7M next year. That has to be the easiest option decision ever to make.

I say you use that option as a bargaining chip like they did CC. Extend Jake 2-3 years at $8M per.
consigliere

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB