Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

CC Out 3-5 Weeks

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

CC Out 3-5 Weeks

Unread postby swerb » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:47 pm

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/NASApp ... p&c_id=cle

CHICAGO -- The Indians' luck ran out.

The club knew an '05 season that saw all five of the team's starters make at least 30 starts and the need for a spot starter arise on only four occasions was an aberration.

What the Tribe didn't know was how quickly their rotation would experience a medical setback this year.

Alas, it took all of 2 1/3 innings of the '06 season for C.C. Sabathia to be injured. The Indians had to put the ace left-hander on the 15-day disabled list Tuesday with a strained oblique muscle on his right side.

The Tribe, which called up right-handed reliever Jason Davis from Triple-A Buffalo to replace Sabathia on the active roster, is estimating Sabathia will be out three to five weeks.

"It's clearly disappointing," general manager Mark Shapiro said of the injury. "But it's also part of the game. Every team needs to prepare to handle injuries, both mentally and logistically. Part of the ability to be a championship team is how you deal with setbacks during a 162-game season."

Sabathia and the Indians have dealt with this injury before.

Last year, Sabathia suffered a very similar strain in the early days of Spring Training. He went on to miss the first two weeks of the regular season.

But if Sabathia's inexact evaluation is any indication, this injury isn't as severe.

"It actually feels good today," Sabathia said. "I've had zero pain. Last year, I had pain for a week or so. I'm coughing fine and I've sneezed a couple times, and I haven't had any pain."

Sabathia underwent an MRI exam Monday and was thoroughly evaluated before the decision to put him on the DL was made. The Indians won't need a fifth starter until April 15 in Detroit, and it's likely right-hander Fausto Carmona, who impressed in Spring Training, would get the nod that day.

In the meantime, the club has bumped right-hander Jason Johnson, who was scheduled to pitch for Class A Kinston in an exhibition against Buffalo on Tuesday, up a day in the rotation. He'll pitch Saturday against the Twins. Jake Westbrook will follow Sunday.

Sabathia isn't expected to do much of anything, throwing-wise, the next couple days.

Because of his size -- 6-foot-7, 290 pounds -- Sabathia's conditioning is often called into question. But head athletic trainer Lonnie Soloff insisted weight is not an issue with this injury. Both he and Shapiro pointed to decisively thinner players, such as Tim Hudson and, quite recently, Nomar Garciaparra, who have experienced a similar setback.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby pup » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:58 pm

So Carmona comes up and pitches good for his 3 turns until CC is ready, what happens next?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby freeper57 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:26 am

So Carmona comes up and pitches good for his 3 turns until CC is ready, what happens next?

Move Carmona to long relief and send Danny Graves packing.
freeper57

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:49 am

Count me as one who isn't a fan over sticking Carmona in long relief. Young pitchers like him need to start every fifth day, period. Not rot on the bench, which is what long relievers do sometimes. Remember Tallet and co last year when they were called up for long relief? They didn't see action for like 3 weeks.

Carmona needs to pitch every fifth day. If he isn't going to remain in the Indians rotation, then I want him pitching in the Bisons rotation and not the Indians bullpen.

I'd much rather use someone like Jason Davis in the long-mans role.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:31 am

Consigliere wrote:Count me as one who isn't a fan over sticking Carmona in long relief.

Sure, that's a valid school of thought. I think it's comparably valid ("equally" would tend to depend on your opinion) to look at Brandon McCarthy and Liriano and Earl Weaver and say:

1) The best way to prepare to pitch to major-league hitters is to pitch to major-league hitters
2) Your roster gives you the best chance to win exactly when the best players are on it

Getting work is a concern, especially in April. I don't deny that. And I'm not certain that Carmona is one of those "best players." But if you cut the pitching staff back by one, you'd have a better bench and more opportunities to get work for your "long man" by having him pitch under more circumstances.

This having been said, it's about "shit or get off the pot" time on Davis, anyway. Maybe he'll show me something.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:40 am

Good points Buff.

RE cutting the pitching staff by one.....I totally agree. Are the Indians the only team with 12 pitchers? Until last year, I always thought teams generally had an 11-man staff....and prior to last year (or maybe the year before), the Indians always went with 11 pitchers and 14 position players.

RE Jason Davis....I want to see what this kid can do, which to me, makes him more favorable in my eyes if there is a need in the pen. Basically, right now, I want JD to get work out of the pen when an opportunity arises (like now), and Carmona to work out of the starting rotation. JD, to me, is more experienced in such a role in the bullpen anyway than Carmona.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby pup » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:39 am

How about every fifth day we go with a plan the Johnson starts and Carmona comes in for the fifth inning and gets his work in :oops: :oops:

Please notice the sarcasm.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB