Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

What do you make of Jimmy Rollins?

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

What do you make of Jimmy Rollins?

Unread postby Lebowski » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:29 am

J-Roll got a hit in the 8th inning yesterday to extend his hit streak to 37 games, dating back to last season. Its the longest hit streak since Molitor ihit in 39 straight games in '87.

What does everyone make of this "streak"?

Would MLB recognize him as a record holder if he did somehow break (for the sake of argument) DiMaggio's record?

Is it easier or harder to keep the streak alive after the season's end?
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Favorite Player: Z
Least Favorite Player: BE

Unread postby mark » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:34 am

I think it would be recongized as the record holder.

I don't know if it is harder or not. It seems to me that it takes hitter a little while to find their groove in the beginning of the season...whether it be weather or timing or whatever. So, my knee jerk would be it is harder. However, hitting in 56 straight games in a row in a season seems impossible. With that, perhaps the layoff makes it easier.

Regardless, it ain't easy...
mark

Unread postby swerb » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:40 am

Everyone I've seen speak on it is going out of their way to say that it's actually two different records.

Longest single season hitting streak

Longest hitting streak

Regardless, it's an amazing accomplishment, even if he gets The Golden Sombrero tonight. I disagree with those (Rollins included) who have said it's harder to do after two seasons.

IMO, the off-season provides a mental refresher for the player. Toughest part of the streak to me is doing it over and over again with no break. While the media scrutiny on Rollins is sky high right now, I see it as a little different (read: easier) for him as compared to DiMaggio, who had to face that music every day non-stop for two months.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Lebowski » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:50 am

I disagree with those (Rollins included) who have said it's harder to do after two seasons.

You sure he said that? I remember seeing an interview with him on Jim Rome is Burning where I thought he said the opposite. Maybe I just mis-heard him.

FWIW: Rollins came off as a really great guy. Talked about the history of the game, the great Joe D, and how Dom DiMaggio told him that he is rooting for him.

OT: Didn't Rollins and Dontrelle Willis play ball at the same HS in Oakland?
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Unread postby swerb » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:29 am

Rollins is a cool guy. Old school.

He called in on the phone to Baseball Tonight, before the Tribe game on Sunday. He said he felt it was tougher to do it over two seasons.

And yes, I think he and D.Willis did play HS ball together.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: What do you make of Jimmy Rollins?

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:49 am

Lebowski wrote:J-Roll got a hit in the 8th inning yesterday to extend his hit streak to 37 games, dating back to last season. Its the longest hit streak since Molitor ihit in 39 straight games in '87.

What does everyone make of this "streak"?

Would MLB recognize him as a record holder if he did somehow break (for the sake of argument) DiMaggio's record?

From Jim Baker of Baseball Prospectus:
Jim Baker wrote:In fact, if you look at the text of the rule governing streaks (10.24 of the Major League Baseball Official Rulebook), you'll find that it allows for stoppages in play of all kinds:
Baseball Rulebook wrote:"Consecutive Game Hitting Streaks: A consecutive game hitting streak shall not be terminated if all the player's plate appearances (one or more) result in a base on balls, hit batsman, defensive interference or a sacrifice bunt. The streak shall terminate if the player has a sacrifice fly and no hit. The player's individual consecutive game hitting streak shall be determined by the consecutive games in which the player appears and is not determined by his club's games."

That last sentence sounds an awful lot like it's a streak to me.

Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby Lebowski » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:22 pm

You may be right Steve. I agree...the rule seems to allow for a stoppage of play.
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB