Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Garko must stay

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Garko must stay

Unread postby aaronBG10 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:33 pm

Hey all, my first post here but I've been reading the forum for a few weeks. I've noticed and also thought myself that Garko might have the most value in order to be traded before the deadline. After watching what he has been doing over the season, especially as a pinch hitter, he is far to valuable to be dealt. Sure Victor plays a good first base and Shoppach is solid behind the dish but Garko is just a fun player to watch that can pinch hit...and having a reliable pinch hitter down the stretch is very, very important!

Go Tribe!!!!
aaronBG10

Re: Garko must stay

Unread postby OldDawg » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:59 pm

I'm with you. Garko is a big reason why we are where we are.
He stays!

I loved his Muhammed Ali imitation doing the "Rope-a-dope" after the beating he took after his last game-winner!
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby Prosecutor » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:06 am

I was originally for trading Garko in order to improve the defense (Shop replaces Victor) and get another relief pitcher, but now I don't think it's the right move for a couple of reasons.

One, Victor is doing a much better job of throwing out baserunners. His defense has improved. Second, Garko is playing better defense at 1st base than I expected. And third, Shop is hitting .105 in July.

By essentially replacing Garko's bat with Shop's in the lineup we could see a major falloff in run production. And with Victor and Garko playing OK in the field, the defensive improvement might not equal the loss of offense.

Still, we need bullpen help. Cabrera is all screwed up, Mastny is inconsistent, and we don't know about Jensen Lewis. However, I would not trade Shop or Garko at this point. I thought Consig had a good idea on another thread; move Gutierrez for a relief pitcher. Franklin is hitting .325 and he's really a centerfielder. He would be perfect for a team looking for a young centerfielder with speed, defensive ability, and some offense. We have Ben Francisco ready to take Gut's spot, so it makes sense.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby pup » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:29 am

He is not a .300 hitter, I agree, but if one more person mesntions his .105 average in July I am going postal. It is 20 freakin AB's.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:43 am

Pup wrote:He is not a .300 hitter, I agree, but if one more person mesntions his .105 average in July I am going postal. It is 20 freakin AB's.

He's batting .000 in August. :lol:
"At least the Scots didn't have to tune in with the rest of the country and watch their women get plowed by Longshanks and his men."
~Commodore Perry on the difference between baseball's flawed economics : Indians :: prima nocta : Scots
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Favorite Player: Brother Red
Least Favorite Player: IHS

garko

Unread postby rawdawgexpress » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:03 am

I wonder if Garko will turn out to be one of those guys who are notable for their streaky play.

Garko is on an unholy streak now- see today's ESPN baseball page for details. He started the year batting .400 for the first month and then went in the crapper for the month of June.

So either Garko is just by nature a streaky player (remember Aaron Boone) or he's figured something out and we can look forward to some more sustained success. I say you keep him to find out which.

I will say that Garko, for being so young, is one of the slowest players I've ever seen.

It seems that both Hafner and Garko are heating up now and that's real good news.
People call it 'vision.' I call it running away.
-Josh Cribbs
rawdawgexpress

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:04 am

Shoppach is also hitless this season against left handed pitchers with three testicles and more than four vowels in their last name.

Just thought I'd throw that out there as well.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: garko

Unread postby OldDawg » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:08 am

rawdawgexpress wrote:I will say that Garko, for being so young, is one of the slowest players I've ever seen.

It seems that both Hafner and Garko are heating up now and that's real good news.

I want to see Haf and Garko in a foot race!
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Re: garko

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:19 am

OldDawh wrote:
rawdawgexpress wrote:I will say that Garko, for being so young, is one of the slowest players I've ever seen.

I want to see Haf and Garko in a foot race!

Throw Victor in on that as well.

And then we can follow it up with a game of Celebrity Jeopardy between Manny Ramirez, Drew Gooden, and Paris Hilton.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB